Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Strike, 24th of November

Options
  • 14-11-2009 9:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭

http://www.rte.ie/news/2009/1113/education.html

I presume this wont affect library opening hours?

As depressing and nerdy as it sounds I don't want to be missing study time, or lectures actually, before our exams...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 597 ✭✭✭Tayto2000

IFUT have said they're going to be on strike, not sure where that leaves the library. Iirc, last time it was threatened, the college stance was business as usual...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,128 ✭✭✭sweet-rasmus

yeah, i was also wondering about this. are services part of this strike, or privately employed by UCD and staying on? i imagine if they weren't around a lot of buildings would be closed. i know that teaching staff have been asked to make it clear whether they are on strike or not, but what are the rest of us going to be doing (if it goes ahead)?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

but what are the rest of us going to be doing (if it goes ahead)?!
    :confused:

Getting wasted!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,296 ✭✭✭RandolphEsq

OP you are being a nerd. Study at your residence for the day. But you would be letting down the UCD side if you did so I recommend get wasted instead

• Registered Users Posts: 21,283 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

K4t wrote: »
    :confused:

Getting wasted!

Oddly enough that was my plan for that day anyway, long before the strike came about. Mates 21st, so no other option.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 338 ✭✭33% God

WeeBushy wrote: »
    http://www.rte.ie/news/2009/1113/education.html

I presume this wont affect library opening hours?

As depressing and nerdy as it sounds I don't want to be missing study time, or lectures actually, before our exams...
    You can't study at home or another quiet place?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,607 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Strike action, sounds like we should get wasted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,021 ✭✭✭Sulmac

No classes on Monday + strike on Tuesday = four day weekend.

Hells yeah. :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Tom65

I'm delighted about this strike. I've two essays due for Friday 27th, need that day off :D

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭lemon_sherbert

This means two of my last week's lectures are cancelled, does anyone know whether these will be rescheduled? We've got topics scheduled to cover those days... An extra day of study doesn't make up for 4 hours of missed class. (I know I'm being a nerd - I will presuppose you are thinking it, no need to point it out.)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭WeeBushy

33% God wrote: »
    You can't study at home or another quiet place?

Obviously I can, but I find the library is an excellent place to study.

• Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭stop

them city centre types are preparing for it one would assume things would be similar here..

• Registered Users Posts: 597 ✭✭✭Tayto2000

Lectures and the library may well be running as usual, it will depend whether UCD decides to close as a result of the strike or not. They're waiting to hear from the unions at the moment and as the saying goes, a week is a long time in politics. If it does go ahead, I suspect the buildings will still be open. The Library uses contractor staff already, so they can still be used to keep it open as a study area but with reduced services (Like at weekends).

If the decision to officially close buildings and suspend teaching for the day is NOT taken, people could face being recorded as not in attendance for labs, tutorials etc if they don't show up for them... Not sure how that's going to work if the person supposed to be giving the class is on strike though...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,072 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

I have a final exam for a module on the 24th, wouldn't mind seeing that pushed back a bit.

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

I have a final exam for a module on the 24th, wouldn't mind seeing that pushed back a bit.

Similar here, have the practical exam for a module scheduled for 1pm on the 24th.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭Breezer

They of course scheduled mine for the 23rd and 25th :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,296 ✭✭✭RandolphEsq

Will I be able to get my €3.50 pizza in the restaurant and hit the gym in the evening? If so then, a cake

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,485 ✭✭✭Red Alert

I'm in support of the public service workers since I think they've been dealt a raw deal, so I won't be passing pickets if any. However, a lot of the public servants in UCD do not earn their money, unlike the nurses, firemen and doctors.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭WeeBushy

Red Alert wrote: »
    I'm in support of the public service workers since I think they've been dealt a raw deal, so I won't be passing pickets if any.

If the library is open I'll be passing any picket line there is. I fully support their right to strike, but I like to study in the library and I ain't going on strike with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,072 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Strike or no strike, I've been told I am sitting an exam in UCD on the 24th so I'll be crossing the picket line. Not that I really care.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭lemon_sherbert

My lecturers have told me classes will go ahead, apparently UCD won't be paying anyone who withdraws to strike.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭johnfás

betafrog wrote: »
    Yup, all UCD staff were told that only those that had leave already booked for the 24th would be allowed to take the day off. Anyone that rings in sick will be refused pay unless they provide a doctors cert and attendance surveys will be done to make sure nobody slips away that shouldn't.

Strikers never get paid by their employers anyway. "Strike Pay" is provided by the trade union to which they belong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 338 ✭✭33% God

My lecturers have told me classes will go ahead, apparently UCD won't be paying anyone who withdraws to strike.
    I would have thought that was pretty obvious, Strikers don't expect their employer to pay them. The union will provide some strike pay though, but that depends.

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭1968

SIPTU members in UCD have "voted by 71 percent to 29 percent to take strike action (on the 24th) to resist pay cuts".

WeeBushy wrote: »
    If the library is open I'll be passing any picket line there is. I fully support their right to strike, but I like to study in the library and I ain't going on strike with them.

I asked a member of UCD SIPTU if he thinks the UCD library will be open on Tuesday.

His reply:

"All the unionised library staff will be on strike plus I'd image a lot of the people who haven't joined yet will be out (and a lot are signing up). Others will refuse to cross the picket lines on the day or be unable to get in due the traffic jams that are likely to form at the gates due to the pickets. As I understand it the buses are not on strike but it is likely the drivers will respect pickets and not come onto campus...So I'd say there is a good chance the library will end up shutting due to lack of staff ...."

• Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭johnfás

Was that Kieran Allen then? I think he is shop steward.

If people are going to have statements published as being a representative of an organisation why don't people put the name of the author to that statement?

johnfás wrote: »
    Was that Kieran Allen then? I think he is shop steward.

If people are going to have statements published as being a representative of an organisation why don't people put the name of the author to that statement?

It wasn't actually.

It was a friend of mine who works in the I.T. dept. and is a member of SIPTU. I shouldn't have used the term representative to describe him, he isn't a SIPTU rep. I've removed that from my OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭stop

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭mloc

Remind me again what the point of the strike is?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭Overature

if everybodies on strike then there wont be anybody to stop us from getting wasted on top the all the buildings

Advertisement