Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

College Paranormal Society

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,354 ✭✭✭Urizen

Great stuff, PM me the full details and we'll start advertising it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 ScaryMary

Just to add me 2 cents, NUI Maynooth doesn't have one (although they have plenty of hauntings i.e. the room)

I think its a great idea, especially if you tap into popular things like readings and dreams etc.

Might be a cool idea to invite a good psychic to the campus to do readings for members, or organise a day trip to the 'mind body spirit' events.

Another spin could be to look at parapsychology and maybe contact the relevant organisations and see if you can get guest speaker.

Also you could tap into the 'twilight' crowd (if you wanted) and host events around mythologies like vampires/werewolves and have twilight included (sure that would attract a good few people)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,664 ✭✭✭✭maccored

Urizen wrote: »
    Revived yet again to say that we now have 48 fully paid, active members and are looking to do stuff. PM me!

How much did they pay to join (just out of interest)?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

maccored wrote: »
    How much did they pay to join (just out of interest)?

College societies are usually about 2 euro per year.

Details of NUIM Societies Here

It's €4 a year, but since we're only properly set up for 1 semester, it was €2. We've set associate lifetime membership at €20, but no takers yet...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,633 ✭✭✭stormkeeper

It'll take a while before people are going to consider committing for a long time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,448 ✭✭✭Garseys

It's €4 a year, but since we're only properly set up for 1 semester, it was €2. We've set associate lifetime membership at €20, but no takers yet...

Oh I see what you did there.:pac:

I'm suprised how well the turnout for some of the events were so far. especially cold reading!

It'll take a while before people are going to consider committing for a long time.

Its a college society not a paranormal investigation group

Exactly. Associate membership was just written in to our constitution. I don't think many societies get anyone at all...

Also, Garseys! About time you started plugging this, secretary boy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,633 ✭✭✭stormkeeper

Grimes wrote: »
    Its a college society not a paranormal investigation group

I know that but what I mean is that it still takes time before someone decides to commit to something for "life" People sometimes want to wait and see what happens before taking the plunge.

• Advertisement

I know that but what I mean is that it still takes time before someone decides to commit to something for "life" People sometimes want to wait and see what happens before taking the plunge.

Take the plunge to what? There is no commitment :confused: Im not sure what your getting at

Many thanks to Grimes and 6th for the epicness that was yesterday. You guys caused quite a stir, well done!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

Many thanks to Grimes and 6th for the epicness that was yesterday. You guys caused quite a stir, well done!

Was absolutely our pleasure and we'd be more than happy to get involved with yourselves at the drop of a hat. Heres hoping the other universities and colleges follow your example!

Yeah it was alot of fun and very enjoyable. Good bunch of people, looking forward to seeing you all again.

Well. Semester over, new committee elected and next year's planning has begun. I've been re-elected as Chairperson, and am looking for interested parties to get involved.

We've got an introductory Reiki session, a trip to Prague, multiple paranormal related screenings and divination workshops 'on the cards' (sorry), among others. If anyone knows anyone interested in getting involved in the events of DCU Paranormal Society, or supporting us in any way, please PM me.

It'll be our first full year after the trial run of the past few months, we're looking to be HUGE and encourage more socs like this to set up. With the support of the Paranormal community we can get this subject back in the public eye, for all the right reasons.

So yeah. Our website is now up at www.dcuparanormal.com. Have a look. Comments, support, every little bit of help is appreciated.

DCU Paranormal Society - WE Are Out There
    n192791983537_4771.jpg

Any spare hoodies. Also I love your logo.

Damn, if you had only asked 3 weeks ago... If you want one, we're anticipating putting another order in in October/November for the new members we'll get next semester. They turned out great.

Ok, apparently there's a Paranormal soc in University of Ulster. Anyone have anything to back this up, links, info? I can't find anything, I want to know if DCUPS has been advertising falsely.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,448 ✭✭✭Garseys

Ok, apparently there's a Paranormal soc in University of Ulster. Anyone have anything to back this up, links, info? I can't find anything, I want to know if DCUPS has been advertising falsely.

Where did you hear this from?:confused:

Anyway we could always change it to "First of its kind in the Republic of Ireland" ;)

anyway want to echo what Urizen said and say thanks to all who've supported us this year.

A student in UU is friends with our new Ordinary Member, apparently he got a bit pissy. But I see no evidence for this, either from Google or my own people in UU. So I dunno. It could just be another Sci-Fi/Fantasy Society that got confused.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 324 ✭✭Chriskavo

Maybe you should get members of your group to try out mirror gazing. Apparently it allows people to connect with loved ones who passed on. Here is the link and how you should do it.

www.near-death.com/experiences/triggers18.html

That's certainly an idea. Though asking students to function without caffeine and phones might be a bit unrealistic... :P

That's certainly an idea. Though asking students to function without caffeine and phones might be a bit unrealistic... :P

Ha ha - but seriously you should try and convince them. I'm too chicken **** to try it myself. I believe the late great Peter Sellers used to do it a lot. It would be really amazing if you could take this experiment seriously to see if it really does work. Fascinating don't you think ?

I'd be slightly wary about our Christian Soc's reaction, they were very knee jerk over the last year. I'll leave it up to a full committee decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭Nekro Man

I'd be slightly wary about our Christian Soc's reaction, they were very knee jerk over the last year. I'll leave it up to a full committee decision.

what else did they react to?

Now is your time to stand up and be counted! There is nothing unchristian about mirror-gazing unless you can find me a passage in the bible that says otherwise:D. If all else fails I would recommend you organize a late night tour of the profoundly haunted Wicklow Gaol. They do tours in the early hours of the morning accompanied by an English medium. It is a genuinely creepy eerie place guaranteed to put the willies up your group but great fun too.

Nothing we did, but there were issues I heard of over people 'supporting the homosexual agenda' of Bertie Ahern... Stories I heard like that put me off.

Wicklow Gaol is VERY expensive. Even with funding we really can't afford it.

Advertisement