Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aion

Options
  • 14-11-2009 10:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 13,749 ✭✭✭✭

Did you and do you still play?

Aion? Add the level you quit at / are at 45 votes

Still playing
    0% 0 votes
    Quit
    24% 11 votes
    Never bought it
    75% 34 votes

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,102 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Bought it, but quit after it became clear that it was an endless grind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,346 ✭✭✭Rev Hellfire

Bought it, play it until it became clear I don't have time to play it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 214 ✭✭Assmaster_Kronk

Bought it, play it until it became clear I don't have time to play it.

Yeah same, not really a game for casual playing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭Noxin

Never made it past level 20. Grind was just too endless for someone casual like myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,749 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Quit in mid 30's me, grind to interminable, and found the game like a 2nd job rather then something fun.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Drakar

Might be interesting to hear from someone who still plays.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭bullets

Rolled 4 characters,
    Got my main to L27 or L28 cant remember,
    Then the game started to Grind, and there was lots
    of client crashes in crowded areas.

Have not played in 3 weeks, was kinda getting bored of it too.

Dec there is a LOTRO expansion which was my Main game, so
    I will probably go back to that full time. But that is starting to suck
    too with all this gate'd content. where you need specific Armour
    before you can do some endgame content, which leads to more specific
    Armour for upcoming content.

~B

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭Lister1

bullets wrote: »
    But that is starting to suck
    too with all this gate'd content. where you need specific Armour
    before you can do some endgame content, which leads to more specific
    Armour for upcoming content.

~B

Get in a decent kin and problem with gated content is solved...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭jaggeh

i quit after the mass bannings, didnt want to invest time into a game where i could be arbitrarily banned due to a scanners parameters being set to wide.

Back to Eve i went.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Played to 19 and quit

**** game, complete grind, no fun what so ever.

Funny cause it was just annother flavour of the month.

Dustaz is always right on these matters..always

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 4,560 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ivan

I'm begining to think that every MMO is just a flavour of the month. WoW's subscription base is just built on several different groups of people leaving and returning in an endless cycle...

Ivan wrote: »
    I'm begining to think that every MMO is just a flavour of the month. WoW's subscription base is just built on several different groups of people leaving and returning in an endless cycle...
    I'm inclined to think you're right.
    Its seems every new mmorpg game is a chance to relive the excitement of the first mmorpg which seriously hooked you. Then every game there after is accused of been a grind, though its likely the first one was as well.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,102 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

While this does seem to be the case, Aion is more of a grind then most other MMO's, or at least more then most that i've played anyway. The Koreans do love the grind apparently. Lots of style, with very little substance from what i've seen (which admittantly isnt a lot).
    Ivan wrote: »
    I'm inclined to think you're right.
    Its seems every new mmorpg game is a chance to relive the excitement of the first mmorpg which seriously hooked you. Then every game there after is accused of been a grind, though its likely the first one was as well.
    If the above is true, what do you all think it will take for a new MMO to be succesful on a Warcraft level? Will Warcraft dying, or at least just getting very very old, be the only way it loses its popularity? And do you think we will ever see anything like it again?

Kiith wrote: »
    If the above is true, what do you all think it will take for a new MMO to be succesful on a Warcraft level? Will Warcraft dying, or at least just getting very very old, be the only way it loses its popularity? And do you think we will ever see anything like it again?
    Personally I don't think we'll get anything like warcraft in the near future. If blizzard where not to ever refresh their content and technology then perhaps you could see it dying out, but that's not the case.

Though it's really the fault of the mmorpg vendors, lets face it there has been no innovation to speak off in what is fairly conservative genre.
    While Warcraft didn't offer anything new, but what it did do was offer a fun experience. Other than planetside and eve (plus hopefully jumpgate) all the other mmorpg's have been the same beast in different clothes.

And with its huge player base, accessibility, and support for casual players it looks like it will remain unassailable for the time been. In the unlikely event of another mmorpg offering anything remotely original, its only a matter of time until its rolled in as well. If all you've got to trade on is fancy graphics and nothing else warcraft is going to devour you. And god help you if you release at the same time as an expansion.

Personally I think its great, eventually people will realise they need to seriously raise the game if they want to compete, creating prettier clones just will not work.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,698 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Interesting discussion lads,as Rev says MMO devs need to show some innovation and creativity.
    Personally im tiring of buying mmos only for them to not live up to anything like i hoped.
    All sitting on a shelf gathering dust in my house are AOC,WAR,LOTRO,Aion,GW.
    Every so often i go back to WOW and thoroughly enjoy it,mostly when they release a big patch with more content ie Ulduar.
    After a couple of months my interest diminishes yet again.
    I hoped Aion would keep me interested but the grind was so painfull and a lot more so than any other mmo which is a shame because underneath the grind was a great mmo.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 4,560 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ivan

Some future features for Aion. supposedly not a single expansion but rather multiple, free changes that will come in free, downloable expansions/updates.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭Vertakill

I'm going to get murdered for this but..
    I'm still playing but not in the conventional means.

I was one of the unlucky ones to get banned for absolutely no reason near the beginning and so I was banned for an entire week until they decided to let me play again. I was given the same generic template that covered everyone got that covered every conceivable bannable offence without pinpointing the one you were being banned for.

I was unbanned later that week, therefore I lost a week on everyone and was left behind in levels and when I came back I was being ganked by groups of people +10 lvls on me and got sort of disheartened by it.

So I found a nice free bot and started owning up the place! So, I'm 45 now and might even get to 50 before I'm banned but I don't care anymore.

For ****s and giggles I started 2 alts as well and it was suprinsingly quick to bot them from scratch. Got both to 32 now with minimal effort (2-3 days on and off tops).

I've safely gone through more levels without being banned whilst botting than I did when I didn't bot.. so I have no qualms about it at all.

NCSoft did a great job of pissing people off right from the beginning with the ban wave debacle and then the whole issue with the 9 to 5 GM's... god forbid you have a problem out of hours! I was banned on a Friday night and didn't get a response until Monday night, despite the fact I was in the headstart and had the collector's edition. Nice kick in the teeth there.

Anyways, I'm selfish, I'm lazy, you name it. I want the good parts of Aion without the bad parts and I also want to experience some of the end of the game before the end of my life.

Once you eliminate the worst bits of the game (the grinding) it can actually be quite good.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Traeman

I quit at level 19, GRINDING i horrible.

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭Dubhthamlacht

I got to level 31 and quit. Up to level 26 wasn't too bad, but after that.....it was rotten. 3/4 of the way to 32 i joined a group for an instance, Fire Temple, and due to a few deaths, lost so much xp, it put the final nail in the coffin of this grind. I know you can pay to recover the xp, but i couldn't be arsed anymore.

The first 10 levels were fantastic. If they had of put the same thought into the rest if the levels as that it would be a terrific game. The profession grind totally drained my will to live.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

Still play, level 35 Glad on the Spatalos server, Elyos side

Edit: However, I was in a legion that largely went inactive, so I left. Most of the legion either quit, or went to a new server. So now I'm legionless, and mainly going around doing stuff on my own, occasionally going with groups to places like the Fire Temple

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭ArthurG

Quit a while back - loved it up to The Abyss (was that lvl 25?), but trying to level in there with frequent gankings got old very quickly.

I'm on an MMO break now for a while - am tempted to go back to WOW but afriad I'll just get sucked back in.

I'm gonna wait for FFXIV next year I think - i played FFXI for 4 years and loved it, so will see what the new one brings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 492 ✭✭rcunning03

I'm Level 35 Gladiator and am still loving it, though I like the grind anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 17 teh.f4ll3n

Still playing on Castor Elyos side. lvl 39 Ranger. Gave up on the grinds, doing instances and fotress sieges only now. The game has a great deal of fun to it if you know how to have it.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭nin2010

Sounds like there's lots of you jaded by the traditional mmo. You should have a look at Darkfall if you are bored of the same old thing. Beware though you need to like pvp to play, otherwise I wouldn't recommend it for you.

I have played WoW for 1 year and AoC for one year and tried everything else and Darkfall blows them all away.

df_community_publisher_468x60.jpg

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

3 month bump. theres a big patch on the way to help the game become less of a grind. more xp for quests n stuff, less random rare drops and in a more focused area... might go back.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,942 ✭✭✭Mac daddy

Heard about that patch alright I had a assassin levelled it up to 42 quit after that the grinding was getting to much endless grinding bugger all XP and Quest to go around.

Such a shame visually it was a great game.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,698 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Doubt ill ever go back to Aion, i resubbed to Age of Conan yesterday.
    They seem to have done a masive amount of work to it.
    Tonnes of new content.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭Funky

gonna give Aion another shot and see what they've done with it, i originally bought a 6 month sub and there's a bit of time left

• Registered Users Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭Tails142

Still playing, I do quite like the grind though!

Playing on Castor Elyos, quite fun but it can require a massive amount of time to get to end level, but enjoy the journey not the final destination right?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11 Chronus

well after leaving darkfall i tryed out aion for a few months... got 2 chars to lv 40 and another to 20 something...

yeah the grind sucked... that plus the bots and all gold selling, though it's such a common thing in mmo's that it's not really a reason to get you bored of the game. It just seemed that Poeta was really cool and then everything after that wasn't. I think lack of content is a good definition.

That and i realized i can't play a game where it tells you who your enemies are.

Advertisement