Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

M1 needs 3rd lane

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,241 ✭✭✭sdanseo

It's not the exits off the motorway that cause the congestion as much as the entrances onto it, as I understand it. The congestion often backs up from the entrance to the exit, and that's why it seems like the congestion is caused by the exit. But it isn't necessarily.

No, it is, too. For example the M1 southbound slip to the N/M32-M50 junction remains clogged to the gills. It's nigh on impossible to merge into the M1S-city lanes from the airport interchange at peak.

Thought someone said those slips at the N32-M50-M1 junction were open? Closed firmly anytime I've passed since (daily).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,815 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

Well, the m1/m50 issue is a different issue - the junction is just overloaded to bits and needs to be upgraded.

If it is difficult to get onto the motorway, then every vehicle that does get on is also causing congestion on the motorway itself, which cascades backwards. Maybe they need longer slips? I don't know the junction well enough at peak times to be honest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 997 ✭✭✭Colm R

Did I hear something on the radio this morning that its now freeflow from the M1 Southbound to the M50 southbound. Not sure if I misheard it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

M1S>M50S freeflow slip was open according to the electronic signage this morning though I didnt see any vehicles on the bridge itself, only queueing, hopefully just a little hiccup.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭dcr22B

It was open this morning and traffic was going over it at 8.30am this morning while we were commuting into the city centre.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,241 ✭✭✭sdanseo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭Irish and Proud

Was on the M1 this morning and the M1 South to M50 South connector (Turnapin) was open alright, but the traffic at Lissenhall was horrendous - both the M1 South and R132 South were bumper to bumper - both leading into and coming out of the interchange that is - yes, 4 solid lanes of traffic inbound. The Malahide Viaduct re-opening seems to have made no difference at all. That said, once past the Estuary Roundabout, there's no real traffic problems on the R132 - Fingal CC has plans for a Southbound bus lane (a reconstructed hard shoulder on the R132) from the Tesco Roundabout (South of Blakes Cross) to the Estuary Roundabout - here's the link:

http://www.fingalcoco.ie/Roads/QualityBusCorridorsQBCs/ProposedBusQBCNthofSwords/

Also, a third lane on the M1 from Lissenhall is badly needed. However, we need that R132 bus lane now!

Regards!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭Irish and Proud

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    The only thing I would do is build an eastbound M50 to airport direct slip to reduce Airport bound merges to the M1 from the M50 .

None of the rest of it is a priority at all compared to the dismal state of the roads outside Dublin . Come back to it in the 2020s when an outer orbital is envisaged and forget about it in the meantime and take the train or express bus instead if it bothers you :)

This morning, I saw some vergeside excavation on the M1 North (J1 to J2) - maybe they're are doing something along the lines of what you're suggesting - wouldn't hold my breath though!

Regards!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,337 ✭✭✭dowlingm

It would help too if all trains heading into Dublin in the morning from the north were 8 cars and not 4 or 6 because IE can't do fleet management. Slots at that time are precious and they should be maximised.

• Advertisement
Advertisement