Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boat Seats DIY

Options
  • 13-11-2009 11:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭

Ok guys i looking to add some seats into my boat its a 17 ft shetland and well it will only be used as a fishing boat.

I was thinking of adding an old Office chair nailed to a wooden box.

Even if i could Mold my own from fiberglass . wouldn't know where to start any ideas of where to get a molding kit or how to make a good seat

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭geminidawn

What kind of end result are you hoping to have, swivel or stationary fishing chair?
    I have a plain fibreglass mould for marine seating but if you're looking to go down the swivel road you're better off buying them off the shelf from a marine supplies.
    Anything without a marine grade will soon deteriorate and may soon become a hazzard.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 county5

How did you get on with your seats? My boats very like a Shetland I think seat prices are crazy I'm thinking of getting 2 tractor lawnmower seats 40€ new get the swivels on eBay maybe. I'm not too worried bout corrosion cus Itl only be used freshwater and boat is kept indoors when not used

• Closed Accounts Posts: 342 ✭✭martin46585

Hi there, I made a couple of seats for lake boats out of plastic moulded chairs, the type you would find in exam halls and such, coupled to a swivel base,
    worked out well, both waterproof and only cost approx 10/15 euros including the base, which I sourced from a company making bar stools,

• Registered Users Posts: 23 county5

Thanks for the reply & info it might be the way to go mightn't be the prettiest but I guess beggars can't be choosers!

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭Daibheid

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33 bpmdj

What about something like this?

http://www.marineparts.ie/seating-and-covers/seats/goldenship-storage-locker-seat.html

It could give some welcome storage

Advertisement