Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

England V Argentina. Sat 14th. 14:30. SS2

Options
  • 13-11-2009 9:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,772 ✭✭✭

England

Monye; Cueto, Hipkiss, Geraghty, Banahan; Wilkinson, Hodgson; Payne, Hartley, Bell, Deacon, Borthwick (capt), Croft, Moody, Haskell.

Replacements: Thompson, Doran-Jones, Lawes, Worsley, Care, Goode, Erinle.

Argentina

Agulla; Borges, Tiesi, Rodriguez, Comuzzi; Fernandez, Lalanne; Roncero, Ledesma, Scelzo, Lozada, Albacete, Leonardi, Abadie, Fernandez-Lobbe (capt).

Replacements: Basualdo, Ayerza, Carizza, Campos, Figuerola, Urdapilleta, Aramburu.

Argentina have got to be eyeing this one. England were, frankly, rubbish against the wallabies last weekend. Programmed automatons with no spark, no plan B. Guys like Care and Geraghty playing week-in,week-out with dash and intelligence suddenly look like robots in a white jersey....

Argentina have injury problems of their own (no Hernandez, Leguizamon, Dr. Phil) but I reckon the Puma scrum is going to take England to the cleaners. Fascinating game in prospect.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

I can't believe Johnson has not got rid of Banahan and switched positions between Monye and Cueto.

Fernandez played against Ireland in '08 and didn't look up to it. He'll be outclassed by JW.

England by less than 7 and Wilkinson to get all the points.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

Yeah, have to agree if England lose this one they should hang Martin Johnson and the selectors from the goal posts. Also go with you on Jonno to score all the points - including a try. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 499 ✭✭Beanmachine

Roncero, Ledesma, Scelzo, what a front row!! i think Payne Hartley and bell could really struggle in the scrum.I just think England will have to much for them out wide.
    Can't believe banahan kept his place on the wing if Strettle didn't get injured last week I'm sure he would have at least been in the squad.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,021 ✭✭✭Digifriendly

I can't believe Johnson has not got rid of Banahan and switched positions between Monye and Cueto.

Totally agree. Banahan is one dimensional and Monye is a class winger but definitely not a full back. Wouldn't be surprised if Argentina nip this one. Too few changes made from last Saturday's side.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,255 ✭✭✭anonymous_joe

Fernandez played against Ireland in '08 and didn't look up to it. He'll be outclassed by JW.

England by less than 7 and Wilkinson to get all the points.

Aye, I remember that game (one of the most miserable internationals I've ever been to.) He wasn't up to much.

Where's he playing now though? I've heard him mentioned as a good player so he's obviously come on leaps and bounds.

The thing with the Argentinians is that they've some great outside backs there, but the midfield's a bit too weak to actually exploit that, and I still doubt they'd be up to England's standard anyway. On a bright sunny day, I could see England's very lateral attacking play running in a few tries. On a wet miserable October afternoon, England will be stuck battling the Argentinians up front with a fairly shíte pack, backrow excepted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Stev_o

Roncero, Ledesma, Scelzo, what a front row!! i think Payne Hartley and bell could really struggle in the scrum.I just

And to think they have the luxury of having Ayzera on the bench, one of the best props in the world!

Who does the Argie TH Scelzo play for?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭laugh

Has Conters played since the Heineken semi?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Who would people pick ahead of Banahan?

Stev_o wrote: »
    And to think they have the luxury of having Ayzera on the bench, one of the best props in the world!

Yeah every time ive seen him play for Leicester he's been brilliant scrummages really well and plays like a back rower in open play!!

Scelzo and Ledesma both play for Clermont, Roncero regarded as one of the best loose-heads in the world plays for stade.

• Advertisement

If you look at England's elite squad they don't have any other wing apart from Strettle who was injured last week,Only other option would be to play monye on the wing and Foden at full back which in my view would bring a much better balance to the back three, Monye just doesn't look comfortable at full back.

As Beanmachine said - a full back and two wings, rather than three wings.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Paul Doran-Jones on the bench, he was playing with Lansdowne a few years back, couldn't get a lookin with Leinster!

Erinle, Duncan Bell, Andy Goode - says it all

Injury has ravaged that English side, but that's one of the poorest squads they'll ever have.

We've lads like Horgan, Trimble, Stringer, Ross & Neil Best playing for our A's who'd walk into that England starting XV

Play Monye on the wing and bring back Balshaw at FB.

Hi, my name is Sir Clive.

If we were missing 13 players we'd be hockeyed by every team we'd play, give England some respect they are battling it out and coming out of these games with a bit of dignity.

Also Duncan Bell is a extremely under-rated player his skill set for a 35 year old prop is extremely impressive and he managed to up the tempo of Englands attack when he came on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

If you look at England's elite squad they don't have any other wing apart from Strettle who was injured last week,Only other option would be to play monye on the wing and Foden at full back which in my view would bring a much better balance to the back three, Monye just doesn't look comfortable at full back.

Certainly not a bad choice, but with Foden being a bit shakey at full back at time I don't think starting Monye is a terrible call. Certainly doesn't deserve some stupid OTT comments we've seen in this thread.
    zAbbo wrote: »
    We've lads like Horgan, Trimble, Stringer, Ross & Neil Best playing for our A's who'd walk into that England starting XV

Ah hang on. Horgan might make the team, but Cueto at 14 is a very good player. Seriously is Banahan any less of one dimensional oaf compared to Horgan? Banahan at 22 is looking far more impressive then Horgan did at 22. One dimensional oafs can still be very useful. Trimble wouldn't make the team or even the squad. I wouldn't start stringer either. Hodgson has been excellent this season and has been playing regularly for LI who are 2nd in the GP, I'd much rather a guy getting regular game time over the bench warmer unless there is a drastic difference in skill which there isnt. Ross I will definitely give you. Neil Best I'm not having ahead of Moody, wouldnt have him on the squad ahead of Worsley either. I agree with Stev, I suppose because it's England and people cant take off their green shade people they love going OTT on there problems and sticking the boot in.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,658 ✭✭✭old boy

with a few injurys healed, they are going to trouble a lot of teams in the 6 nations, i have them backed for the championship, probably due to all the medication that i am on at the moment.

I actually think France have the best team atm, England second best in the 6 Nations. That's injuries aside.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

This game is on SS2

• Registered Users Posts: 5,772 ✭✭✭toomevara

BBC Radio 5 Live coming from Twickers this aft. Campo on the panel, some interesting points being advanced. Weather atrocious apparently, could be a dour affair.

• Advertisement

toomevara wrote: »
    BBC Radio 5 Live coming from Twickers this aft. Campo on the panel, some interesting points being advanced. Weather atrocious apparently, could be a dour affair.

Argentina are playing, and missing their two playmakers. Of course it'll be dour. :p

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,783 ✭✭✭handsomecake

this is going to be a bore fest. paint vs dry

Every match has been though, standard of rugby has just been "Lets beat two shades of **** into these lads" hence why im hoping the Fiji Scotland match will be a cracker.

England should win handy in this game once they get decent possession, the Argies won't be up to much though they do have a decent SH.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,263 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

Any idea why England are wearing purple as their alternative kit?

Redsoxfan wrote: »

It's dark blue, beats that awfull red strip they had before.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭Crash

No its not, its purple.

http://www.prodirectrugby.com/prodinfo.asp?PID=PDR-010-009-028&DEPT=010&BRAND=009

(Assuming its that one they're wearing, not watching the game)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,263 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

Stev_o wrote: »
    It's dark blue, beats that awfull red strip they had before.

On HD it's purple ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭sneem-man

Apparently its because of the Purple tracksuit top, worn by England players in the 70s 80s and 90s

On HD it's purple ;)

Well la de da rub it in my face why don't you Haha :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,772 ✭✭✭toomevara

Christ, poor Monye...shepherd's crook time, an FB he is most definitely not...dire, dire stuff from England, desperately poor game....

Advertisement