Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boards comedy gig in aid of SSF - December 5th @ Cassidy's Bar, Westmoreland St.

Options
  • 11-11-2009 6:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭

Ladies and Gentlemen it is with great pleasure that I officially announce the 2nd Boards stand up comedy gig in aid of the santa strike force!

When: Saturday 5th of December
    Where: Cassidy's pub, westmoreland st
    Why: to have a good time and raise money for Santa Strike Force in the process
    Admission: Free (but please donate kindly)
    Who: A wide array of extremly talented comedians from boards and abroad

Great Gig for a great cause! Finalised line up shall be announced shortly!

Spread the word folks!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭thorbarry

Sweet, i was there last year and had a good night :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

****e. Won't be in DUB that weekend :/

GL guys. Last year was quality

• Registered Users Posts: 37,297 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Aye, should be a good laugh. Pity it's 2 days before pay day, but meh, I'll be there.

=-=

If you put the following code into your signature:

[html]29qedci.jpg[/html]

You get:

29qedci.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,817 ✭✭✭✭Dord

the_syco wrote: »
    Aye, should be a good laugh. Pity it's 2 days before pay day, but meh, I'll be there.

=-=

If you put the following code into your signature:

[html]29qedci.jpg[/html]

You get:

29qedci.jpg

Cheers! I'll stick it in mine once i'm done with Movember. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭grames_bond

It is with great pleasure i announce the following comedians will be performing on the night:

MC: Kieran Lawless - bulmers nothing butt funny competition winner 07

Scein
    Grames_bond
    Galvasean
    Ianperth
    DeVore
    Frobisher
    Loglogbarkbark
    Gareth Stack
    Damon Blake

Plus special guest headliner!

:D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

awesome. I haz an excited.

awesome. I haz an excited.

yeah so do i! it's going to be a great night!

It is my immence pleasure to announce that headlining this gig will be the one, the only, the incredible.....

Abie Philbin Bowman

myspace_abie.jpg
    Abie Philbin Bowman - Comedian Without Borders website

Abie Philbin Bowman is steadily “sealing his reputation as one of Ireland's most thought-provoking comedians." (Galway City Tribune). Abie is the only Western stand-up stupid enough to have performed a religious, political comedy in Pakistan during the 2007 State of Emergency. He’s also the only Irish radio host imaginative enough to have marked Barack Obama’s election victory by interviewing the Ku Klux Klan live on election night.

Abie made his Edinburgh Fringe debut in 2006 with Jesus: The Guantanamo Years. The plot was simple: “Jesus Christ returns to earth but doesn’t get through US immigration because He’s a bearded, Middle-Eastern guy, who wants to die as a martyr.” The show completely sold out, and was reported by over 30 media outlets including Associated Press, Reuters, the BBC, Sky News, Le Monde, The Financial Times, The Guardian and The New York Times. The Scotsman dubbed Abie "the face of this years' [Edinburgh] Fringe".

Jesus: The Guantanamo Years later toured London's West End, the USA and Pakistan. Released on iTunes, it entered the top ten comedy albums across Europe and in Japan. The show was boycotted by Ian Paisley’s DUP. Abie’s second one-man show, Eco-Friendly Jihad, told the story of an environmentalist who – in a desperate bid to reduce U.S. carbon emissions – joins Al Qaeda. Eco-Friendly Jihad sold out at the 2008 Galway Comedy Festival and Edinburgh Fringe. However touring was cut short when Abie was offered his own radio show.

From November 2008 to May 2009 he hosted the main talk show on youth station i105-107, weekdays from 1-4pm. Guests included Channel 4 News anchor, Jon Snow; Woodstock veteran, Arlo Guthrie and National Membership Director of the Ku Klux Klan, Dr Travis Pierce.

Outside of comedy and radio, Abie has taught creative writing at the Irish Centre for Talented Youth and contributed regularly to a wide range of media outlets including BBC Radio, The Dubliner magazine and RTE television. In 2008, he completed a Masters in International Peace Studies at Trinity College Dublin, with a Thesis entitled ‘How many Comedians does it take to change a Government?’

Time magazine describes Abie as ‘a rising star’.

“A brave, creative man” - The Boston Globe

"A first-class comedy writer and performer" - The Galway Advertiser

“Contemporary and controversial” -The Seoul Times

"Energetic and intense… you get the impression that if he had
    to go on for another two or three hours, he could” - Metro

"Anecdotes, ad-libbed jokes and asides fizz out of him” - The Sunday Independent

“A rising star” - Time

“Abie Philbin Bowman deserves a comic sainthood” - The Stage

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Gonna be epic

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Can't wait. Also cant believe I volunteered for this again after the sheer mindnumbing terror of last time but I also enjoyed it so much I had kinda forgotten the fear and pain. Kinda like childbirth apparently. :rolleyes:

DeV.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭frobisher

DeVore wrote: »
    Kinda like childbirth apparently. :rolleyes:

DeV.

Stand up is harder than the long labour I went through when my son was born. But then again, I am a man ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭congo_90

So i'll definatly be in attendance for it! :) Mind if i bring a non boardsie? (the missus)

Stoopid question: How the hell do I get the comedy sig?!

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

congo_90 wrote: »
    So i'll definatly in attendance for it! :) Mind if i bring a non boardsie? (the missus)
    About a third of the people there last year were non-boardsies... most of the material was very accessible... except my routine for which I ran to safe ground and did most stuff about Boards until I forgot my set list and then just made stuff up on the spur of the moment. Quite worringly the stuff I made up on the spur of the moment seemed to get more laughs then the rest. :)

DeV.

So i'll definatly be in attendance for it! :) Mind if i bring a non boardsie? (the missus)

absolutley no problem! the more the merrier!! :D
    frobisher wrote: »
    Stoopid question: How the hell do I get the comedy sig?!

here, have a map

linkeh
    DeVore wrote: »
    About a third of the people there last year were non-boardsies... most of the material was very accessible... except my routine for which I ran to safe ground and did most stuff about Boards until I forgot my set list and then just made stuff up on the spur of the moment. Quite worringly the stuff I made up on the spur of the moment seemed to get more laughs then the rest. :)

DeV.

you rocked the hell out of it last year....and the denis leary parody was brilliant!

NEWS JUST IN

our friends at Mixtape Have kindly agreed to offer their services on the night and record the gig for us professionally! Mixtape is an online media channel set on promoting the newest talent out there and publishing it on their site, they are basically an online tv and radio station growing on a daily basis! :D

NEWS JUST IN

our friends at Mixtape Have kindly agreed to offer their services on the night and record the gig for us professionally! Mixtape is an online media channel set on promoting the newest talent out there and publishing it on their site, they are basically an online tv and radio station growing on a daily basis! :D

So if i laugh too loud it could be recorded forever? hmmm.. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

So if i laugh too loud it could be recorded forever? hmmm.. :pac:

Patrons are reminded to laugh as loudly and frequently as possible.

As i have mentioned there will be a raffle on the night, some of the prizes up for offer include:

-A bottle of whiskey
    -A bottle of wine
    -A box of biscuits
    -A number of rare transformers (toys/collectables not a 40 foot robot)
    -Your christmas dinner (ham/turkey....steak....sausages...whatever you want)
    -A VERY rare bottle of jack daniels (only 1 of 1000)

-plus more

going to be a great night! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 IanPerth

Sorry about this but I'm not well & cant be in the line up :( was really lookin forward to this gig !

Have a great night all ..... some seriously good acts and an amazing headliner ! a nice venue FOR FREE ! .... now thats value!

<Grahams bond - I'll confirm this with you through Facebook in case you dont see this>
    Sorry for the short notice !

• Advertisement

IanPerth wrote: »
    Sorry about this but I'm not well & cant be in the line up :( was really lookin forward to this gig !

Have a great night all ..... some seriously good acts and an amazing headliner ! a nice venue FOR FREE ! .... now thats value!

<Grahams bond - I'll confirm this with you through Facebook in case you dont see this>
    Sorry for the short notice !

Sorry you couldn't make it Ian. I was looking forward to seeing your set again and having a chat. Get well!

Hope you are ok soon dude! Shame to miss you!

alas never fear young comedy fans, the extremely talented mr gerry mcbride has agreed to take ians place on the bill!

Didnt turn up.....couldnt get parking! :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Looking forward to it boys. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,817 ✭✭✭✭Dord

Should be good! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 IanPerth

Hope you are ok soon dude! Shame to miss you!

alas never fear young comedy fans, the extremely talented mr gerry mcbride has agreed to take ians place on the bill!

Thanks Grames ! ..... Gerry is a Pro! He's brilliant! ! If I knew me pulling out meant Gerry would be on the bill i'd have gotten sick earlier :) !!!!!!

This line up keeps getting better !!! This will be an AMAZING gig folks! NOT TO BE MISSED.

Frob! Have a drink for me yea! Lemsip & TV is exciting as its gonna get!

IanPerth wrote: »
    Frob! Have a drink for me yea! Lemsip & TV is exciting as its gonna get!

I will indeed Ian. Hopefully we'll do another show together soon. And if I manage to slot Ringaskiddy in to my place names routine I'll credit you!

AMAZING night! big props and thanks go out to everyone who performed/watched/donated greatly appreciated, brilliant night, we raised approx €1200 which is just superb! thanks again! roll on next year!!

Thanks to everyone. I really enjoyed doing my set and meeting folk at it. Although my ad lib'ing on boards mean I over ran my time for the first time. had to happen sooner or later!

Very good gig.
    I really enjoyed it last night and getting to talk to some other boardsies!
    Any idea when mixtape will be releasing it?

• Advertisement

Very good gig.
    I really enjoyed it last night and getting to talk to some other boardsies!
    Any idea when mixtape will be releasing it?

according to one of the guys, the final edit will be completed some time in January (very buzy atm as i think you can all imagine) also they said they should be able to edit out the music from upstairs! which is a plus!

Advertisement