Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thailand and poker

Options
  • 11-11-2009 2:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭

I was thinking of moving to thailand in the new year for an indefinite time but roughly one year. Anyone played poker (online) in thailand. What are the major things to know about it, legality/broadband etc..
    I know google is my friend and i have been doing a lot of research but i would like to here from someone who has experience and it would be much appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Grafter

Ianmc38 is yerman

• Closed Accounts Posts: 955 ✭✭✭sickpuppy

There is a mega thread on 2plus2 dunno how to link it but IanMc has live din many parts of Asia the last few years sign up for rake back at his site rakeback ftw and he may ship soem advice your way:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,754 ✭✭✭ianmc38

What part of Thailand are you planning on living in? Gambling is illegal in Thailand except for horse racing and some state run lottery (thats afair). If you ever tell a Thai person what you do they will think you are in the Mafia, so usually best to keep it to yourself.

That said its easy to play poker and all the poker rooms allow players to login from that country. One small problem when I was there is that Neteller was not available to people living in the country, so make sure you have some other form of access to your funds.

With regards Broadband, again this is going to vary hugely. The main areas like Bangkok and Phuket are going to be the most reliable though outages are still common in both areas. If you go to the islands, the best bet is to use an internet cafe.

if you have any specific questions, let me know

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭1stimpressions

Thanks very much for the info. I figured its going to be Bangkok for broadband reliability alone but down south in Phuket would be cheaper to live i gather.

The neteller thing surprised me but i use MB so that should be ok.

The funny thing is i really dont mind where it is so any recommendation in particular where to live would be considered i.e what part of Bangkok/Phuket etc.

I prefer Bangkok for nightlife and general living as there is more diversity. Sukhumvit is the area where most expats live inc the poker players. If you post on 2+2, you'll find a lot of players there whoa re living in Bkk.

If you're looking for somewhere a bit more relaxed with beaches etc, then Phuket is probably a better option.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭DeadMoney

ianmc38 wrote: »
    If you're looking for somewhere a bit more relaxed with beaches etc, then Phuket is probably a better option.

I'd honestly pick Phuket last as a place to live in Thailand as I feel there are way nicer islands to live on. Phuket is just too heavily invaded by tourists and if you are looking to 'get away from it all' I don't think this would be the best place. Northern Thailand has some amazing scenic towns also and is very different again from down south. If I was going to move out there I would definitely live in Cambodia before Thailand. Both amazing countries but Cambodia definitely won my heart more plus it is far cheaper to live. Actually I'd say Bangkok would be really cool to live in also but some people hate it. It depends if you are a big city person I guess. When I was there last summer the idea of living there and playing poker entered my head as you could have a great quality of life making what is considered as a very small poker income here. If I did live out there I think I would have to do something a bit more active tho such as teaching english. Poker is certainly a good way to get around though. Enjoy your time away.

DeadMoney wrote: »
    I'd honestly pick Phuket last as a place to live in Thailand as I feel there are way nicer islands to live on. Phuket is just too heavily invaded by tourists and if you are looking to 'get away from it all' I don't think this would be the best place. Northern Thailand has some amazing scenic towns also and is very different again from down south. If I was going to move out there I would definitely live in Cambodia before Thailand. Both amazing countries but Cambodia definitely won my heart more plus it is far cheaper to live. Actually I'd say Bangkok would be really cool to live in also but some people hate it. It depends if you are a big city person I guess. When I was there last summer the idea of living there and playing poker entered my head as you could have a great quality of life making what is considered as a very small poker income here. If I did live out there I think I would have to do something a bit more active tho such as teaching english. Poker is certainly a good way to get around though. Enjoy your time away.

Yes i have thought about breaking up the grind with teaching English as i have a degree in a related field, if only for the social aspect.

Would Phnom Penh be as cosmopolitan as Bangkok with equivalent infrastructure. Also leaving Thailand every 90 days might get annoying. (ah then again a couple of excuses for holidays).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭DeadMoney

Yes i have thought about breaking up the grind with teaching English as i have a degree in a related field, if only for the social aspect.

Would Phnom Penh be as cosmopolitan as Bangkok with equivalent infrastructure. Also leaving Thailand every 90 days might get annoying. (ah then again a couple of excuses for holidays).

Yeah I think for the social aspect alone teaching is a great route to go down. Even working in a bar or something a few nights can be great for meeting friends. To be honest I don't know too much about Phnom Penh as I only spent a week there and I was staying with all the hippy back packers down on the lake side. It is a very build up city however and there seems to be a big enough expat scene. I preferred Sam Reap to Phnom Penh and is a lot smaller too. Sihanoukville Province is amazing too. Only spent 2 weeks in Cambodia at the end of my trip so didn't really get to travel much but I definitely want to return there and see more of the country. If you don't move there I would certainly recommend visiting it. As for finding out info I think you would get way more feedback on your questions if you look here.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=925

Best of luck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭jpr1973

I did a two month stay in bangkok 18 months ago on the way back from oz and brought the laptop with me so I could make 50 squids a day playing poker which would be a very nice daily budget in thailand. However the problems I encountered were

1. didn’t have an apartment but stayed in middle of the range hotels with wifi access and found them to be an absolute joke every where I went unless you played from 4am to 7am when everyone was asleep. Countless times I was all in with the nuts and the connection died on me. I ruled hotel wifi out after that, plus kinda surprised I didn’t break the laptop in anger I was so tilted.

2. I ruled internet cafes out as I was paranoid some poor thai person would dob me into the cops for a few quid as I couldnt find a place where I could play privately with the monitor to the wall (except for Phuket actually which had a really good connection but that place would wireck your head after a week)

Your best bet is to get an apartment and organise a LAN connection as its more secure and faster than wifi. I believe some apartments down there will hook up the broadband for an extra few dollars a month. I remember looking into getting a short term apartment but they were a bit out of my budget at the time plus I knew I would only be there for 2 months and it wasn’t worth the hassle for that short a period.

On the way to oz I stopped in vietnam for a month and I used to play in the internet cafes there. I used to have the locals looking over my shoulder fascinated wanting to know how much money I could win and actually one fella told me he knew someone from europe who was living in vietnam who would ring up his friend back in europe and play at the same cash table cheating. He didn’t know which site though.

I would defo think of heading to vietnam to play as they also allow betfair through(not allowed in thailand) so I was able to do some sports betting as well, plus if your after some teaching work, there is loads going down there and it may be easier to get a visa and not have to come in and out of the country every 30 days like in thailand.

I thought the internet connections in Cambodia and Laos were pretty bad to be honest but again maybe if you paid more you could get some good connections.
    Some craic down there though so you should defo go and do it and get out of this sh1t hole while ya can..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 356 ✭✭Mullicker

I am also planning on doing this, i've got a couple of friends in oz and i am going to spend some time in thailand before heading to oz, at least 3 months. I hope to be heading sometime in January. Was thinking about Chiang Mai, its much cheaper and i don't know if i could handle a big city like bangkok for a long term stay.

Something like this is what i was considering:
    http://www.houseinchiangmai.net/condo/rent/Studio-with-Pool-View-Hillside-4/C217.aspx

10k baht pm = €200 pm for rent, and according the guys on 2+2 you can negotiate better deals directly than through online agencies.

• Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭THEIRISHMOB

I'm currently in Bangkok running a poker club. If you plan to stay a year try 6months in Bkk and if you don't like it then head for Phuket. But the reason I prefer Bkk is there is so much more to do here and if you need a break its only a few hours on a train/bus and your at the beach. Only problem is Visa to stay here. Try and sort out someone to share a apartment with for 6months before you arrive. should get something nice for 600 a month. can live a very good life here cheap unless you want fine wine and 5star meals. everything else is SO cheap. you can play any sites you want as long as you got your banking sorted out. Pm me if you need any info.
    Ian

www.thailandpokernights.com

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭cokedrinker

GRINDHOUSE!?!?! Im thinking of heading early in the new year also. Thailand is lethal, can't wait to get back there for a prolonged stay! I was only there 2 weeks last year and didnt get to do too much in that time :/

To THEIRISHMOB

Would $1000 a month be enough for food+rent+bills+nights(2-3 nights pw) in BKK?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭shoutman

Was in Thailand during the summer, BKK is nice, Phuket is to be avoided imo, way nicer places such as Koh Phi Phi.
    It really is dirt cheap and the street food is very decent.

Enjoy.

DeadMoney wrote: »

Everywhere in Thailand these days is overpopulated by tourists. Phuket is a good choice because of it's infrastructure. Living in the islands is great, but it will be extremely difficult to get reliable internet connection setup in most of them, where as Phuket is extremely easy.

shoutman wrote: »
    Was in Thailand during the summer, BKK is nice, Phuket is to be avoided imo, way nicer places such as Koh Phi Phi.
    It really is dirt cheap and the street food is very decent.

Enjoy.

Good god. Phi Phi is one of the most miserable places on the planet. I cant imagine a worse place to go in Thailand. It's also tiny, has little to no expats living there and on both occasions I visited, was full to the brim of the same moronic crowds. I actually dont know one person who enjoyed Phi Phi.

Im interested to know how much of Phuket everybody here has seen. Im guessing everyone went to the main strip and that was it. Phuket is huge and there is a lot more happening than the main strip. I lived there for the best part of 2 summers in a friends house and it's a great place with loads of stuff to do when you know where to go. Having a car is essential though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭shoutman

Good god. Phi Phi is one of the most miserable places on the planet. I cant imagine a worse place to go in Thailand. It's also tiny, has little to no expats living there and on both occasions I visited, was full to the brim of the same moronic crowds. I actually dont know one person who enjoyed Phi Phi.

Phi Phi was definitely my favourite place, could of just been cause of the activities (Diving/rock climbing)

As opposed to Phuket which was mostly populated by sex tourists, that said, i'm sure there are the nicer parts of the island, but I met countless numbers of travelers who also hated Phuket.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭dvdfan

Mullicker wrote: »
    To THEIRISHMOB

Would $1000 a month be enough for food+rent+bills+nights(2-3 nights pw) in BKK?

Depends on what you call living, you can probably get a room with no air conditioning for less than 100 a month, alot less probably but youd go nuts without the air conditioning.

When i stayed in chang mai you could get a nice meal for €2-3 less if you eat at the street stalls which can have excellent food btw. Beer wasnt much more than €1 in most places, but if you visit the touristy places like Irish Bars or bars geared towards tourists you could pay 3-4 times that. Transport is cheap too, IIRC it was only about 40 baht (less than €1) for a tuk tuk into town and that was 3-5mins away, you could rent a bike fairly cheap but id take out life insurance first.:p

Bangkok id say you can add on 60-80% onto the above prices but i couldnt stay longer than 2 days in Bankgok without feeling closterphobic, its noisy, smelly and hectic. Saying that there is plenty to do and maybe i just dont like city living. Chiang Mai is very laid back, plenty to do there, fresh air comapred with bankok smog only downside is theres no beaches, as i said been a couple of years so prices may have increased but id say youd struggle with $1000 a month if you like a bit of partying or spoiling yourself

shoutman wrote: »
    Phi Phi was definitely my favourite place, could of just been cause of the activities (Diving/rock climbing)

As opposed to Phuket which was mostly populated by sex tourists, that said, i'm sure there are the nicer parts of the island, but I met countless numbers of travelers who also hated Phuket.

Apaches and that other bar, Hippies or something more like IMO!

• Advertisement

GRINDHOUSE!?!?! Im thinking of heading early in the new year also. Thailand is lethal, can't wait to get back there for a prolonged stay! I was only there 2 weeks last year and didnt get to do too much in that time :/

Maybe thats not the worst idea! The value of a few people pooling the internet to have a double back up would be worth it, as the have done in the house posted above from 2+2.

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭Lao Lao

When were you on Phi Phi? I was there in 2002 and it was my second favourite place in Asia (1st was Hoi An in Vietnam) I know the sunami pretty much wiped the island out, so maybe it never got back to the way it was, but back in 2002, it was such an amazing place.

Don't really know why you would be giving out about little to no expats. When I go to a foreign country, the last thing I want to see is loads of Irish and English people :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭jbravado

Yeah wild horses wouldnt drag me back to Phi Phi-spoilt beyond reprieve. If you were doing this Id much prefer to stay in Vietnam or if I was going to stay in Thailand Id stay in Bangkok which is a pretty amazing city if you dig a little deeper.

Started vaccinations today. Doctor recommended the following:

Tetnis, Diphtheria, polio (1 shot)
    Typhoid (1 shot)
    Hep A & B (3 shots)

Came to €215.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 955 ✭✭✭sickpuppy

Mullicker wrote: »
    Started vaccinations today. Doctor recommended the following:

Tetnis, Diphtheria, polio (1 shot)
    Typhoid (1 shot)
    Hep A & B (3 shots)

Came to €215.

He reccomended all them cos hes getting a nice price for them:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,053 ✭✭✭jimbling

I love thailand and this is something I've strongly considered before. I reckon I could make enough each month to pay my mortgage here and live comfortably over there.

I would imagine that your best bet is to get a good location in a heavily populated area (due to infrastructure requirements) and then head off to the other, more beautiful locations in your spare time.
    The great thing about poker is that you can play for a week then feck off down to the islands for a week. Or even do it month by month. If you have a good month you could take a few months off etc etc.

So, Bangkok is the obvious choice. I hated Phuket as well, but as Ian pointed out I was one of those people that got in, stayed one day and night then left again. It just disturbed me. I probably should have given it more of a chance, but every one of us felt the same and there are so many other places to see.

I'd probably do a dive masters course as well while over there.... feck, would love it...... almost hoping for my company to go bust :p :rolleyes:

He reccomended all them cos hes getting a nice price for them

Ya i thought the hep A and B ones were only ones necessary but better safe than sorry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭jpr1973

I think you may have got ripped off for the vacinations. Same happened to me when I got them. I went to the usit office on the quays in town for them, but then I heard theres a medical clinic on carysfort avenue in blackrock which does it for nearly half price..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭Iago

So can anybody give a reasonable real-life insight into what's required in €'s per month for a comfortable living in either Thailand or Vietnam?? (will read the 2+2 threads later as they're blocked in work)

I'm considering taking an extended (possibly 1year+) break in one of the two and I'm trying to figure out what i'll need. Would ideally like a decent broadband and cable tv service where I'm staying although it may be too much to ask :)

• Advertisement

$1500 a month sounds like a pretty good number from what i have read on 2+2, depends on where you want to live and how much you want to live it up. You could get by with a lot less. $1000 seems like the minimum.

Advertisement