Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[BPB] Launch Night Sat 28th DCC, Dublin

Options
12346»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,368 ✭✭✭Covey

Hey guys, no comment on the organisors at all. You've all done a great job and I realise the compromises involved.

The comments were just personal observations.

I still think the book is small compared to most books I've on my shelf. Just me.

Maybe I'm wrong but I thought there could have been a lot more photos for the same price. I have 120 somewhere in my head but that could be way off the mark.

I think one of the reasons there weren't more submissions (I think there were more in the first book) were the fact that most threads were hidden under exhibitions. It's been mentioned by many and as someone who never goes there I too came to it all late.

On the printing side I was thinking of a book printer rather than a dedicated photobook shop. If there's interest I could find out the cost and effort involved.

And no Paul, I'm not angling to organise next years, I suck at that type of thing, I'll leave it to the experts like yourself.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

The numbers involved make it hard to get a printer, the one I spoke to wanted a minimum run of 3000 books.

There was a Sticky in the Main Forum from about the middle of the year, so I don't know how it could have been more visible. We only moved things over to Expeditions when there was going to be quite a few threads & then we would still have the main one at the time as a Sticky in the Main Forum.

Look up, is it a Bird? Is it a Plane ..... No it's an invisible Sticky Thread!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,368 ✭✭✭Covey

All right, no need to be such a smart arse. I wasn't the only one to comment.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,792 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

I'll preface my remarks again by saying that I'm not being defensive, because I understand why the questions are being asked; I just want to explain the rationale behind the decisions that were made.

First, Blurb was the only rational choice given the time (and skill) constraints of this year's book. They have no minimum order quantity, they're fairly reasonably priced, the print quality is excellent, and they provide software that a numpty like me can use to produce a reasonably attractive book.

Second, the size (format and page count) of the book:

Blurb's basic price (without delivery charges and SSF markup) for an image-wrap 80-page book of this size is €31.95. For up to 120 pages, that price goes to €37.95 - a €6 increase in price. If I thought I could have gotten 40 more photos, I would have considered it worthwhile, but it was a struggle to get the 75 we got.

The book is printed on premium paper. This largely offsets the amount saved by keeping it under 80 pages, but I honestly think it's worth it for the difference it makes to the quality of the printing.

As for the actual page size: the book is 10"x8". The next size up is 13"x11". An 80-page book in this size costs €56.95, and 120 pages would cost €67.95 - and that's without the premium paper.

Yes, it's possible that a bigger book could have been produced more cheaply - but not in the timeframe available, given the available skills (and free time) of the volunteers.

I understand why you're asking the questions, and I'm answering them simply so people can understand the thought processes behind the decisions that were made. It's been a worthwhile process for two consecutive years now, which means it's probably worth the effort involved in starting it earlier next year, and researching in more detail the answers to the questions you've asked.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

Covey wrote: »
    All right, no need to be such a smart arse. I wasn't the only one to comment.

I am not having a go at you, it is good that the issues are raised. As you say there have been other comments. The point I was trying to make, with a poor joke, was that this was raised in this thread in May this year & sat up there with the Stickies in the main forum for months. There was a Poll to find out who was going to contribute. Even when we moved a lot of the other stuff into this sub-forum there was still the most current topic as a sticky left in the main forum. If there are suggestions as to how to make it more visible please let us know.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭superflyninja

I know im being a real Moaning Myrtle here but im dyin to get my hands on the copy of the book i bought, anybody any idea where i can pick it up?????
    hugs and kisses

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭moralproduction

I know im being a real Moaning Myrtle here but im dyin to get my hands on the copy of the book i bought, anybody any idea where i can pick it up?????
    hugs and kisses

it can be bought here,by the way a big thanks you to all the organisers and all involved,its a credit to everyone !

http://www.blurb.com/bookstore/detail/909547

• Registered Users Posts: 2,657 ✭✭✭trishw78

it can be bought here,by the way a big thanks you to all the organisers and all involved,its a credit to everyone !

http://www.blurb.com/bookstore/detail/909547

It's already bought it's in the subscription group. Held by m_s_nixon I presume

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭moralproduction

trishw78 wrote: »

sorry my bad !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭superflyninja

trishw78 wrote: »

yup ive already paid for it! but i cudnt go to the launch night and i wanna pick up my book! im really impatient with waiting for stuff that is posted to me etc so anybody who can help dat wud be great!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,435 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

EEB1EC67F5904CF785CB056C01B74B6E-500.jpg

867FDFE4E9134EF49716809C9C7C71FF-500.jpg

921100DF13A243AFB5002CF66B379F7B-500.jpg

8238C1FD969849E3ABA1D6617962F410-500.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭kjt

yup ive already paid for it! but i cudnt go to the launch night and i wanna pick up my book! im really impatient with waiting for stuff that is posted to me etc so anybody who can help dat wud be great!

Hey Guys,
    Does anybody know where the books that weren't picked up on the night are being kept. I'd like to get my hands on it.....

Thanks Kyle

• Registered Users Posts: 9,186 ✭✭✭kensutz

kjt wrote: »
    Hey Guys,
    Does anybody know where the books that weren't picked up on the night are being kept. I'd like to get my hands on it.....

Thanks Kyle

Santa has them stashed away for those people who have been nice. I'm fecked then :p

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭Dink

kjt wrote: »
    Hey Guys,

Thanks Kyle

Me too :o I'm really sorry I couldn't make it.. :(

Advertisement