Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

New commute: 80 miles each way.

Options
  • 08-11-2009 6:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭

Anybody here do similar mileage? If so what car do you drive? How many miles have you on it or expect to do before trading it in?

I’m just doing some homework for a new commute I will be doing next year.

Looking into buying a good used low mileage car that can handle ~50K miles/year. I’ll need to finance the car, so will probably need it to last 4 years to keep the repayments as low as possible.

Any recommendations? I kinda fancy a 520d.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,401 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

If you're doing that kind of mileage and not getting an allowance for it, I'd recommend you go for somethng cheap. a premium new car will lose a huge a amount if you're doing that kind of mileage, also maintainance will be heavy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

Cheap comfy diesel. No point spending a fortune. Something for 3k if it lasted 2 years and needed replacing is cheaper than a 25 or 30k one over four years...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,300 ✭✭✭BrianD3

That's a long commute. I often do a long commute (not quite as bad as yours) and drive during the day as well. I have a 03 Renault Laguna with 217k miles that I've owned from new.

For this sort of driving, refinement and comfort (both suspension and seats) are much more important than involving handling. It is also a plus if the car has long service intervals and has a timing chain rather than a belt.

As colmmcm says, the more you spend the more you'll lose. After 4 years of that sort of driving, your car is going to be worth SFA whether it cost you 20k, 40k or 60k to buy. It is a balancing act between getting a suitable car and not losing too much money

• Registered Users Posts: 4,371 ✭✭✭Dartz

That's the sort of mileage that doesn't matter though. It's the first mile or two every day that murders the car, not the 78 that follow, especially if you're cruising on primary roads or motorways. the car isn't being stressed or taxed, the suspension not being hammered by potholes.

It's not hard mileage, most cars would be well able for it. You won't be stop starting in traffic constantly, just cruising at a steady state. The engine will be hot and running loose and comfortable. The suspension won't be taxed. You won't be riding the clutch in traffic.

A nice, cruising diesel will do well. BMW 520d, Mercedes E200... these things are built for this sort of life.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Ferris

BrianD3 wrote: »
    That's a long commute. I often do a long commute (not quite as bad as yours) and drive during the day as well. I have a 03 Renault Laguna with 217k miles that I've owned from new.

2 x Laguna/Citroen C5/Peugeot 406. Cheap cars with good engines and the Laguna's and C5's have good ncap ratings.

If you want something more upmarket then how about an Accord CDTi or Volvo s60/s80 D5. Both can be had for reasonable money. You'll rob yourself on servicing and depretiation running a BMW into high mileage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭DubDani

I have a very similiar commute (but only 3 days a week) and I drive a Skoda Superb TDI and love it.

Not everybodys cup of tea lookswise, but it spacious, comfy, very reliable and very good on the juice. A comfort or elegance spec model will have all the gadgets you might need for a comfy commute.

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭supersaint3

you're in the market for a big car OP? If not, I'm doing 120 miles a day in a 1.3 CDTI 08 Astra, I'm filling it for €50 and getting 950- 1000 km's from a tank, it's a great economical motor and there's a little pull in the mid ranges for overtakes etc. Go diesel! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭PaulKK

I'd recommend something like a TDI bora, passat, octavia, older shape A4, or any TDI you can get for 3000 or so.

Your going to put serious miles on it so no point getting something expensive as in 2 years your going to have 100k put up on whatever you buy
    IMO, slightly older reliable diesel is the way to go for you. I have a 98 passat TDI and do 500 miles a week and would definitely recommend one.

http://www.carzone.ie/search/Audi/A4/TDI/200945195768008/advert?channel=CARS

http://www.carzone.ie/search/Volkswagen/Passat/1.9-TDI/200944195670311/advert?channel=CARS

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭Bif

Mk 1 1.9tdi 110bhp Octavia, 156k and going strong. 110km's most days. Can't go wrong with one of these. However if you are going for a 520 I doubt if this will be your choice:rolleyes:...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 600 ✭✭✭Rev. BlueJeans

I'd advise against a series 2 laguna, although they seemed to improve from 04 on. Some folk have had no bother, but most of 'em seem to be lemons.

Stick with an older diesel and hack it is what I would do, but that doesn't mean it has to be more of a chore than such a massive commute will inevitably be. Beemer or merc sounds nice tbh, once they're straight of course.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭746watts

I do 100kms each way everyday on a bumpy country road. I drive a 08 yaris diesel 1.4 turbo 90bhp. It's smaller than what you have mentioned but it's a fab little car. 63mpg and 0-100kmph in 10.7secs. Timing chain.
    oil & filter changes every 15k kms.
    Road manners are good and it's comfortable and roomy.
    Not in the same league as a 520d but cheap to run.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,558 ✭✭✭netwhizkid

I would advise like others have said a Diesel, preferably a Volkswagen, get something light on juice as it will be going up again soon, You will be doing 400miles+ a week so maybe worth looking into some sort of biodiesel or SVO for simple cost savings. Don't bother with anything remotely new as your high mileage on it will wreck its resale value anyway. Something older with low mileage out of London (import) would be my choice if I was in your boots. Also go automatic, with cruise control as you will soon grow to hate that commute! beleive me!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭Mr.Boots

One word.
    oooooooooooooooooccccccccccccccccctttttttttttttaaaaaaaaaaaavvvvvvvvvvvvviiiiiiiiiiiiiiaaaaaaaaaaaa.
    Wht your budget by the way?

• Registered Users Posts: 73,401 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

boards.ie

Sponsered by Skoda.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,993 ✭✭✭Barr

If I were in ur shoes I would look for auto, diesel and jap. U wouldnt want to go to old as it may prove unreliable .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

80 motorway miles, or 80 miles from Roscommon to Enniskillen?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 600 ✭✭✭Rev. BlueJeans

Big difference :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Ferris

colm_mcm wrote: »
    boards.ie

Sponsered by Skoda.

Its got a massive boot you know ;)

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,057 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Use public transport
    Every km does this much damage to the planet
    min_158687t.jpg

If you are considering a 520d you must have a few quid, I'd get the Accord diesel as mentioned.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 616 ✭✭✭BnA

I'd agree with a few of the earlier replys OP.

Cheap, comfortable and safe and chew the miles into it. No point in spending too much money on a car for this, because it is going to be completely worthless when you are finished with it.

I picked up a 98 passat in Feb for €1,800 for eating up miles and it's flyin' it.

We did have an Octavia in the past (Petrol one) and while it was a fine car I just never enjoyed driving it. Not sure what it was about it.

I would say something like a Mondeo, 406, Laguna..... Definately not any more than €5k

Something like....

http://www.carzone.ie/search/Renault/Laguna/1.9-DCI/200928194574234/advert?channel=CARS

http://www.carzone.ie/search/Peugeot/406/ST-2.0-H/200944195688910/advert?channel=CARS

http://www.carzone.ie/search/Ford/Mondeo/LX-TDDI/200945195787760/advert?channel=CARS

• Registered Users Posts: 3,730 ✭✭✭E39MSport

renault poo, peugeot poo and more ford poo (no offense). You'll love getting into this...

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/1039009

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭txpjl

Well thanks everybody for your replies. Lots of good advice here.

My commute will be 15-20 mins of local country roads then join the Dublin – Cork road for the last 65 miles or so. Total journey is 75-80 miles (probably closer to 80). As long as the speed limits stay high I will be able to make good time. The new job also starts at 8am (in Cork) and should finish 4-4:30pm every day, so I’m hoping to avoid traffic going and coming home.

I was thinking diesel, Beemer for comfort and leisure. I don’t want the commute to be more of a drag than it already is by getting into a less comfortable car. Initially I was thinking 15K - 20K (financed) spread out over the life of the car (4 years) but trying to get an extra year before scrapping and starting again.

But your ideas of a cheaper car over less time really makes sense to me. I upped the original suggestion from 3K to 5K to try and get into the Audi A6 spec of car also (as well as the A4). I also see a 03 Laguna for sale on Carzone. This could last three years (in theory) because of the low mileage.
    http://www.carzone.ie/search/Renault/Laguna/1.9*Dies/200945195768969/advert?channel=CARS

I know the 1.4 Astra (petrol) well from my days in the UK doing field service support and have done many a day with over 200 miles.

Thanks everybody for your suggestions. I will be buying some time next summer when I begin this job.

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭txpjl

E39MSport wrote: »
    renault poo, peugeot poo and more ford poo (no offense). You'll love getting into this...

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/1039009

For that price, that is doable. Not sure on the miles/gallon though.

Not your's by any chance is it? :D

Nah - aint mine. In fact, the e39 (of my handle) belongs to my partner. She gets to have her car cared for by my good self and I get to have a spin in it the odd time.
    Her's does up to 45mpg on open roads. Averages out at 40 on most tanks.
    Brilliant, brilliant machine.

Just came across that one on carzone when I read this post. With the tax it looks like a good buy.

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭mikewest

I'm making this recommendation as someone who does a longer commute but with the same road mix. I drive an Almera diesel van giving 45 mpg average. It is not quite as smooth as a nice cruiser like a 5 series or large Pug/Renault but has been very light on parts and garage time. Service/oil change every 3 months (12,000) Major service every 6 months on my driving (24,000). I do the servicing myself now after a couple of incidents with work not done but being charged for.

It is a quick, good handling machine, cheap to tax (van) and reliable. Can be picked up for well within your budget. The down side is that you do not have a car for weekends etc.

With the type of mileage you will be doing the residual value of any car you buy wil be practially nil so buy with the expectation to run into the ground. The mileage will be high but will not be overly punishing on the car so buy something with a general history of reliability especially in non wear items e.g. electrics. Overall fuel costs combined with other running costs are as much of a driver as anything else. You will probably spend the cost of the car or van on these every year. Remember also you will be doing 4 times the average driving and so probably changing front tyres twice a year so large sized tyres add up your costs very quick because you need to buy good tyres and fancy alloys are very expensive to repair if your country road has its normal share of potholes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

Hi Op,

I've been doing a 260km commute once a week each way for a year now and have driven a few cars over the course of that, soon to be a 115km commute each way :)

These may sound stupid but:
    1. Make sure it has a cup holder... the amount of times i've burnt my gonads with a cup of coffee in the car.

2. Make sure it has comfortable seats, the MK1 Octavia is great but the seats are pants. Cabin noise in the Octavia is pretty high too compared to a 5 Series BMW or Mercedes E Class. The MK1 Octavia has a 'cup holder' in the glove box.

3. Get an Automatic, its makes a HUGE difference on a long commute, uses a bit more fuel but i find i'm less wrecked when i get there, plus in the inevitible traffic jams its the business.

4. Make sure it has Airco, you only really need it for 1 to 1/2 months of the year but you forget you HAVE to drive so there no point in sitting in a car for over an hour in the blistering heat, plus the airco is much quicker at clearing the windscreen in the morning.

5. Plan where to buy your fuel, you have that long drive so pick a station thats convenient/cheap and perhaps use it to take a bit of a break where you know theres a choke point to grab your coffee etc.

6. Try and work out a flexible time arrangement with your employer, i.e. start early finish early or start late finish late, if you can of course, but it will save you a bit of sanity being fixed to rush hours.

7. Get a car with cruise control, another great feature on a long commute, VAG cars have the worst cruise control imo, uses the most fuel compare to when driving normally.

Best to drive on my commute:
    2004 Mercedes E350 CDI Avantgarde Auto
    Really comfortable, quiet, cruised at high speed without feeling it was being pushed. Good enough mileage, In General an overall quality feel.
    Massive boot in the estate .. even bigger then the Octavia :rolleyes:
    Great Visibility.
    Auto box is really smooth between gear changes
    Builtin SatNav is excellent and kicks the crap out of a tomtom mainly because it works in tunnels, i.e. the TomTom is useless if theres exits inside a tunnel

Downsides:
    Its a Diesel
    It can be a problem finding an on street parking space in crowded cities.
    Sat there for 20 minutes reading a manual in German trying to figure out how to turn off the parking brake
    Expensive
    Had that crappy fake wood trim

Best practical car:
    2007 Audi A4 2.0 TDI Avant Manual
    Nice drive, liked it, simple to get into and just go.
    Good build quality, traction control is excellent in the wet, really like the interior, the red dials look nice
    Comfy seats, nowhere near as good as the Mercedes though

Downsides:
    Can really think of any TBH

Worst car:
    2008 BMW 325D

Upsides:
    Looks quite flash from the outside.
    Really low cabin noise.
    Good visibility.
    Again comfortable seats, not as good as the Mercedes though.

Downsides:
    The Sat Nav system drove me MENTAL, that stupid selection wheel made it impossible to use, ending up using a TomTom, the whole system was very confusing and I couldnt figure out how to turn off the Traffic Reports.

There wasn't really any feedback when driving made me feel a little bit uncomfortable.
    Seemed to be a problem as well with water pissing in the Drivers side window when raining.

Also drinks Diesel, even more so than the Mercedes.

Most Economical, cheapest bangernomic *oh my god my back* i can fit 7 crates of beer and wine in the boot drive, ow my gonads car.

2000 Skoda Octavia 1.9 TDI

Upsides:
    Cheap to buy
    Massive boot for a hatchback - As everyone knows.
    Cheap enough to repair although not as infallible as everyone makes out, Steering rack can fail, bushings (but thats the same as the Audi/VW/Seat Equivolents)
    Great fuel economy

Downsides:
    Noisy cabin
    Its sounds like a Tractor
    No cup holder
    The seats are rubbish.
    No leg room for rear seat passengers.

Anyway OP, its a trade off between your sanity/health vs cost. Myself I'm going for an Autobox Mercedes C200 or a Jaguar X-Type next when my commute goes to 115km a day each way. I COULD save alot of money buying an Octavia but imo its not a long distance commute car, better for a small family towing a caravan or something,

I mean you could choose to live in a 30sqm apartment and save thousands of euro a year in rent/mortgage but would you ?

hey, if being a diesel, German and long are cons for the merc, how come they aint for the Audi given it's only 5% shorter and of similar width?
    The x-type is no jag either.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,300 ✭✭✭BrianD3

I also see a 03 Laguna for sale on Carzone. This could last three years (in theory) because of the low mileage.
    http://www.carzone.ie/search/Renault...t?channel=CARS
    Don't get a 03 laguna, I know I said earlier that my 03 one has been very good for doing high mileage and I personally don't know of any unreliable Lagunas. But 01-04 Lagunas do tend to do badly in reliability surveys. The facelifted 05-07 cars are much much better and are still cheap. Carzone asking prices are often unrealistically high.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,969 ✭✭✭antomorro-sei

mikewest wrote: »
    I'm making this recommendation as someone who does a longer commute but with the same road mix. I drive an Almera diesel van giving 45 mpg average. It is not quite as smooth as a nice cruiser like a 5 series or large Pug/Renault but has been very light on parts and garage time. Service/oil change every 3 months (12,000) Major service every 6 months on my driving (24,000). I do the servicing myself now after a couple of incidents with work not done but being charged for.

It is a quick, good handling machine, cheap to tax (van) and reliable. Can be picked up for well within your budget. The down side is that you do not have a car for weekends etc.

With the type of mileage you will be doing the residual value of any car you buy wil be practially nil so buy with the expectation to run into the ground. The mileage will be high but will not be overly punishing on the car so buy something with a general history of reliability especially in non wear items e.g. electrics. Overall fuel costs combined with other running costs are as much of a driver as anything else. You will probably spend the cost of the car or van on these every year. Remember also you will be doing 4 times the average driving and so probably changing front tyres twice a year so large sized tyres add up your costs very quick because you need to buy good tyres and fancy alloys are very expensive to repair if your country road has its normal share of potholes.

+1 on the Almera van. My Dad drives one and does huge mileage with it (around 1000km per week) and he finds it grand. I've often driven it and thought it was a grand car/van to drive.

Advertisement