Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom's discraceful internet

Options
  • 07-11-2009 3:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 29

Hi, im not the owner of the internet, its my dads, (im 15), and i heard about a site called www.speedtest.net which allows you to find out the speed your internet is running at. As im told my dad is paying for 3mb brodband, quite good but my test show someting out of this world,
    615310231.png,
    usually i get 0.14 mbps, never above and when i found this out i was so angry as when we upgraded from 1mb broadband to 3mb i taught it would be great but nope. My friend across the road pays for 3 mb (with BT i think tho) and gets 1.82 mbps and probably more but id do nytin for that much because youtube and xbox live is so annoying when someone uses the internet. Is there anything i can do to i make it better?
    Most apreciated, Ryan.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭dogpile

That ping and upload look about right for 3meg but the download speed looks more like Ripwave Lol!!

go to someone else would be my non techie advice

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

another one of these :(

Temporarily unplug EVERYTHING in house from phone , fones sky box filters etc

plug modem straight into socket , no filter

now what is your speed ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Paddy Boy

I was/am in a similar position to the OP. I had a so called 3 meg connection with eircom, but I might as well have had dial up. Found out the line to my house is so bad it couldn't handle such speed. I subsequently downgraded to one meg and things improved - slightly. Eircom seem to have little interest in ensuring their customers are happy.:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭smithcity

Yeah, you're never going to get the full 3mb download speed, regardless of your provider, but you should be getting at least 1mb. I'd advise you to check out speedtest a few more times. Try early in morning, peak times and late at night. If you're getting consistently crap download speeds I reckon you should complain to eircom, if they dont sort it out you need a better provider.
    I'm with perlico on a 1mb connection and I find it really good, 1mb is the best that's available in my area but the service is reliable and speeds are usually quite good.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

ryan_w94 wrote: »
    Hi, im not the owner of the internet its my dad .
    :eek::eek::eek:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Follow SpongeBobs advice.
    Remove Filters/Splitters.
    Unplug all phones from sockets.
    Plug the modem into the main wall socket, normally the one nearest the front door of your house.
    Then check the speed.

It may not be an Eircom problem, it could be an internal wiring problem in your house which is why you should test on the main socket. The above will help you narrow down if the problem is a service problem or something in your house causing the problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭_Sidhe_

Sleipnir wrote: »

I hope he doesn't drop it!!!!!

l-640-429-b74f1e4a-31c0-4821-aadd-1e736b8e41e8.jpeg

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭vorbis^cs

615402904.png

615403885.png

yea u prob really should contact eircom about your problem i have a 3mb connection with eircom aswell and there is my speedtests to dublin and silgo, u should be gettin around the same altough i dont actually download at those speeds i normally download at around 330 kbps

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,669 ✭✭✭mukki

thats a common problem OP, i see that in about 1 in 20 houses....

if you ever ring eircom with a problem one of the steps they have to do before they call an engineer is to set your bb to 160download / original upload

when the engineer sports the problem sometimes the bb is left at 160/xxx

you just have to ring them 1800503303 say technical support and they can fix it in about 30seconds, they are very good, and rearly put you on hold, unlike the rest of the irish DSL providers :mad:

not worth going to an online forum ranting about it, just let eircom know so they can sort it for you

• Registered Users Posts: 29 ryan_w94

o sorry i meant its my dads:P , dats just not possible lol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

Just remember that due to the theiving way eircon sell "3" Mbs BB the actual throughput is only 2.65 due to protocol overhead... Unlike other ISPs with NGN technologies that they have put out of business.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 lawrenceSummer

Just remember that due to the theiving way eircon sell "3" Mbs BB the actual throughput is only 2.65 due to protocol overhead... Unlike other ISPs with NGN technologies that they have put out of business.

isnt this what perlico, imagine, Bt, gaelic etc etc also do?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

Emmm They are all eircom resellers. Not one of them have their own network apart from BT and they dumped theirs to Vodafone a couple of months back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

vorbis^cs wrote: »
    615402904.png

615403885.png

yea u prob really should contact eircom about your problem i have a 3mb connection with eircom aswell and there is my speedtests to dublin and silgo, u should be gettin around the same altough i dont actually download at those speeds i normally download at around 330 kbps

Yes You do, if You download at 330kBps, this is 2640kbps as there's 8 bits in a byte which is what Your speedtest is showing
    bits=small b, bytes= big B

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    another one of these :(

plug modem straight into socket , no filter

now what is your speed ?
    I've done that now and this is my result, not much different :(

616032133.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 GLWC

I've done that now and this is my result, not much different :(

616032133.png

Interesting. This is what I'm getting now in Dublin Ballsbridge on Eircom Home Advanced (7 Mb/s):

616097232.png

• Registered Users Posts: 44 aerocell

It is very possible that if you were experiecing issues before with your line that it could of been "amped" to lower bandwidth as advised contact the service desk and ask them to check or you can see what you are syncing at on the router homepage.

On another note if you have wireless enabled and your security is WEP it would be worth a try checking for any "unauthorised" connections.
    If so switch to WPA and run your speed test again.

Hope this helps somewhat.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Nichololas

GLWC wrote: »
    Interesting. This is what I'm getting now in Dublin Ballsbridge on Eircom Home Advanced (7 Mb/s):

616097232.png

Is Ballsbridge on the Nutley exchange? 7Mb eircom in Sandymount here, this is what i'm currently getting;

616239331.png

Considering it's been a solid 1.8Mbps the past month and it's only gone back up to this speed today this is actually an improvement though. I actually feel kind of sad that I think going from 1.8mb to 3.8 is an improvement when I'm paying for 7mb :/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 GLWC

Enlil_Nick wrote: »
    Is Ballsbridge on the Nutley exchange? 7Mb eircom in Sandymount here, this is what i'm currently getting;

616239331.png

Considering it's been a solid 1.8Mbps the past month and it's only gone back up to this speed today this is actually an improvement though. I actually feel kind of sad that I think going from 1.8mb to 3.8 is an improvement when I'm paying for 7mb :/

Not sure about the exchange, we are close to RDS but still on Sandymount side of the tracks on Serpentine. The values seem to be holding today

616366551.png

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭davebuck

I've had problems all day,connection keeps dropping and sometimes can't connect at all.I'm on a 3mb link in Glasnevin time to think about UPC broadband!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,140 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

davebuck wrote: »
    I've had problems all day,connection keeps dropping and sometimes can't connect at all.I'm on a 3mb link in Glasnevin time to think about UPC broadband!

There is no comparison.
    Do it now.

spurious wrote: »
    There is no comparison.
    Do it now.
    I finaly convinced my parents to talk about the internet problem and I said all the problems so they rung up eircom and said they wer having problems in the area at the moment, so theyre thinking of changing, any idea which is better? Bt, UPC, and do u mean by no comparison that upc is better than eircom? Thanks for all replies.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭wolfric

love college :P fuck yeah
    617303535.png

Seriously though internet speed is one of the most complicated things to work out. There are SO many factors that contribute to speed. It's not like you get into a car and it goes so fast. There are about 100 devices and services that you rely on to get your internet page. Some of which include your own pcs network card, ram, browser loading delays (check these graphics out for example) encryption, router speed accepted, how the router (or the switch part of the "router") deals with it, how many other people are using it in the house, lots and lots of programs connect to the internet on your own pc, you could be doing an update in the background on windows, you could be streaming music, you could have packets lost and have to resend. You have a huge web of networks that you go through to get to your host normally about 10-30. any one of those could be just malfunctioning. Your dns server could be slow. Someone could have a QoS set up, the site you're trying to access to could have slow upload, the site your trying to connect to could have too many conenctions and put you on the list. The amount of simultaneous connections even your own computer has out affects the speed. i'm sure there's many more. The fact that you're getting slow speeds on YOUR computer on THAT site at THIS particular time with YOUR browser etc isn't a direct reflection that eircoms "3 meg package is bad" or that eircom is bad alltogether.
    I have 12 meg at home and i often find that when i'm downloading something it'll be quite limited in speed. On the other hand if i have a number of things downloading simultaneously, my speed does go up to 12 megs.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,140 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

I finaly convinced my parents to talk about the internet problem and I said all the problems so they rung up eircom and said they wer having problems in the area at the moment, so theyre thinking of changing, any idea which is better? Bt, UPC, and do u mean by no comparison that upc is better than eircom? Thanks for all replies.

UPC works out MUCH cheaper if you are already getting your TV from them.
    I haven't experienced any problems with UPC. I'm on the 20Meg product.
    617864576.png

spurious wrote: »
    UPC works out MUCH cheaper if you are already getting your TV from them.
    I haven't experienced any problems with UPC. I'm on the 20Meg product.
    617864576.png
    Well my mum rang up eircom today and the problem was fixed, he said was your sky plugged into the phone extension line or main line and was in the extension line with the internet modem and it was taken out and problem solved:D
    618297269.png
    relli happy now, not alot but more than expected, Altho Tanks to everyone who helped, i was very happy with them and how quick i got one.:)

YOU were told to unplug that days ago but you were too busy ranting about eircom :(

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭damienf1

Hello i seen that you where online and i wondering wat you think of my speed for 1 mb i am think about gettinh 3Mb

618310959.png

perfect but stats matters more than speed .

YOU were told to unplug that days ago but you were too busy ranting about eircom :(
    actually i did that but for some reason it did nothing :(, but sorry that i didnt try harder, thanks alot tho:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 285 ✭✭sold

I have tried UTV and Perlico broadband, by fare eircom is the best (best of a bad bunch but the best)

Advertisement