Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Does this sound like an accurate insurance quote to you?

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭tommy21

realcam wrote: »
    I'm not saying that there is no insurance companies who operate like that but it's def'ny not the way an insurance company should operate and it's def'ny not the way the insurance company I work for operates. Unfortunately we don't do motor insurance.

Insurers insure risks and in order to do that they have to get their maths right - meaning their risk assessment - and then they charge administration and a (hopefully) modest profit. That is unless there is an investment aspect built into the policy which with motor insurance would be pretty much unheard of to me. If you're with an insurance company who is gambling with your premiums and charging you for their losses vote with your feet.

End of the day they are a business, I believe most insurance companies are out to make as much profit as they can. The customer comes second in that respect. The problem in the Irish market is that the majority keep the prices at about the same level, a bizarre situation of many companies and yet a monopoly on price. Just my two cents.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 392 ✭✭boomer_ie

tommy21 wrote: »
    Well its been a busy day of phonecalls. Here is my progress, keeping in mind the original quote was €954.

Allianz - 768 comp, 793 third party fire theft (TPFT)

Emmm I would have thought this one would have been the clear winner with fully comp cover. You would have the peace of mind of having costs of repairs to your car covered (something the guy who crashed into my brother last week dosent have as he had TPFT and was definately liable as he went through a yield sign on roundabout straight into side of brothers car!)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,419 ✭✭✭✭cson

Its a bit all over the place at the moment...

Im 24 and living in kilkenny. Driving a 1.5L almera with Provisional Licence and Comprehensive cover with quinn and paying €890 or so a year...

Now heres the thing...Ive been driving 2 1/2 years, no claims and been with quinn all that time. Never been bothered to get full licence but their premiums always seem fair enough. The almera has been acting up lately and is now off the road.

My fiancees mam has offered to let me use her spare car. Its a 2.0L 1999 Mondeo and a nice enough car. So i rang quinn direct just to see how much extra it would cost me to insure it and was told we can't insure you in that...

Now cmon like, fair enough its a 2.0L car but its not a performance car or anything and not that much more powerful than the almera(IMO)...

So i hung up and checked online. A few wouldnt quote me and others were quoting 2k+ until www.123.ie

They quoted me €1000 Third party and €1300 fully comp, anybody see something wrong here???

My own insurance company that ive been with 2 1/2 years wont even insure me yet this crowd not only will but at a very reasonable price..

Any comments on this??

There's your answer right there.

Rightly or wrongly when you've only got green paper to show them they run a mile.

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭eyesofvenus

cson wrote: »
    There's your answer right there.

Rightly or wrongly when you've only got green paper to show them they run a mile.
    Want a laugh??

Got an email from quinn direct about half an hour after the call quoting me €4400 a year on the 2.0L mondeo, didnt even ask to be emailed about it...

Anyway how could they justify charging me €850 a year fully comp on a 1.5L and 5 times that on a car with 0.5L more??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭tommy21

boomer_ie wrote: »
    Emmm I would have thought this one would have been the clear winner with fully comp cover. You would have the peace of mind of having costs of repairs to your car covered (something the guy who crashed into my brother last week dosent have as he had TPFT and was definately liable as he went through a yield sign on roundabout straight into side of brothers car!)

Hmm true, but I figure when car is only worth a grand and most of policies will only pay out 500 its worth the risk. Decade old too so not like its new. Faulty logic you think'?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

My insurance actually went down this year... I'm with AXA, 22yo female with a 2008 1L car. Last year was my first year and it was 945 fully comp, this year it's 750 fully comp. I got out the golden pages and literally rang everyone, then rang Axa back and they reduced quote from 860 to 750.

I have my full licence for under 2 years

• Registered Users Posts: 6,641 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

Don't forget to compare the excess you'll be paying with all these quotes. Most normally have a €500 excess for under 25s. I have a €300 excess with Quinn and I could not get a comparable quote to their €810 (24, male, 3 year NCB, full licence, 1.3 Fiesta) from anyone else without a larger excess.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 breno58

1000 seems a bit high alright, try quinn there usually the cheapest for young drivers

• Registered Users Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭hobochris

I'm 24,male, driving a 1.4 held my full license for 5 years and have 3 years no claims, My gf(23,full license under a year, 1year ncb) is also on my policy.

This year my insurance was €687 with Quinn.

that's fully comp with windscreen cover.

the cost did not change (up or down) to have my gf on the policy.

Quinn breakdown is not great I had to call them a few months ago, as I broke down on the m4, they would only tow to the nearest town, so I told them to forget it and got a family member to Tow me to where i needed to get the car. Joined the AA the next day, the moral of the story (from my point of view anyway) is don't let the insurance companies offer of "Breakdown assistance" influence your insurance decision making.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 breno58

got to agree there, quinn have a useless breakdown service :mad: i broke down on the way back from galway recently and they told me they would only tow me as far as athlone which was no use to me as i needed to get back to dublin but they did offer me bus fare home :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭Iron Hide

Websites are grand but theres always assumptions and whatnot, always best to telephone and lay out all the details about yourself and the car...

like AXA website assumed that my Punto was a 5 door 1.9L turbodiesel car, its a 1.9L standard diesel carvan, phoned up and got 160 off right away..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 393 ✭✭sherdydan

my father also gets his insurance through an AXA broker, when it was up for renewal, they had upped his quote by about 100 euro. he rang them up and asked was it a mistake, they said it was :rolleyes: and then quoted him at 150 less than his previous years quote.

i think its just AXA chancing their arm, that people will just renew their insurance at any price

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭RGS

Various issues affect price--
    1---Excess, the larger the excess the lower the premium.
    2---is the No Claims Discount protected or at least step backed.
    3---Are you allowed to drive other vehicles.
    4---Is there a named driver on the policy.
    5---Injury to driver--some policies provide a benefit to the driver if he is out of work due to an accident--is this included in the policy-do you need it if its included.
    6---If you have an accident--will your insurers investigate liability properly or will they just make an offer to compensate the other party--will the settle your comp claim quickly.

Simple answer is to review the various policies and compare the benefits, dont just go on price.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

Want a laugh??

Got an email from quinn direct about half an hour after the call quoting me €4400 a year on the 2.0L mondeo, didnt even ask to be emailed about it...

Anyway how could they justify charging me €850 a year fully comp on a 1.5L and 5 times that on a car with 0.5L more??

eh,you're a learner driver?

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭eyesofvenus

jackncoke wrote: »
    eh,you're a learner driver?
    yep but 123.ie didnt seem to care about that when i got quoted 1300 by them fully comp...

• Registered Users Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

yep

Theres your answer

Advertisement