Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

ALTEZZA

Options
  • 07-11-2009 12:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 32

hi all
    Heres my story
    I was looking for a 4door (sports) car for a about a month now,
    all the cars i went to see had bad history or over priced, anyways last weekend
    one of my mate's told me hes going to sale his Altezza to me for fair price,
    i drove the car a few time i love them, im oki with insurance, but i don't know anything about this cars, anybody has 1, any common problems?
    that would help,

i hope i didn't bordered you with my story

Thank you all

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

The Altezza is not a sports car and never will be. Hell it doesn't even look like a sports car. There are many Jap cars with far, far better performance and looks. Fuel economy is crap for that kind of car too. Also, never, ever buy a car from a friend, no matter how good a friend he is.

How much is he selling it for and what's your budget?

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭sleepysniper

Yep the Altezza is fairly heavy on juice for what it is, 2 litre N/A.
    Only thing going for it is it has RWD.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 R34-GTR

Confab wrote: »
    The Altezza is not a sports car and never will be. Hell it doesn't even look like a sports car. There are many Jap cars with far, far better performance and looks. Fuel economy is crap for that kind of car too. Also, never, ever buy a car from a friend, no matter how good a friend he is.

How much is he selling it for and what's your budget?

why wouldn't i buy a car from a friend?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭Muckie

Knew a fella who had one, he loved drifting in it around carparks.
    Hard on petrol and the wipers went wallop twice on it. Think its a
    fault on them. But if you like them go for it, take it from your name
    you like the jap cars, i'm a fan myself. S13 200sx's fine car also or
    even an old Skyline maybe.

Muckie wrote: »
    Knew a fella who had one, he loved drifting in it around carparks.
    Hard on petrol and the wipers went wallop twice on it. Think its a
    fault on them. But if you like them go for it, take it from your name
    you like the jap cars, i'm a fan myself. S13 200sx's fine car also or
    even an old Skyline maybe.

yea you are right i'm a fan of jap car,
    the reason i love Altezza is its suit mylife style (family) better than other cars
    big car 4doors very comfortable and of course RWD.
    i'm not mechanic know nothing of these cars, the only issue i have with them is fuel,
    i want to know if theres a common problems that i need to be aware of?
    by th way i've never seen 1 in garage,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,551 ✭✭✭dylbert

check out www.tezzaworld.com, Irish based Altezza forum, should find all you need to know.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,993 ✭✭✭Barr

I like these cars alot as well . I think the steering pump is a very common problem with them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭Mick K

Had one,Anti-christ on petrol although mine had a supra fuel pump.
    Handle well with coilovers.Very comfortable.

Faults.
    When they are imported best thing to do is replace the AFM straight off.
    Ball joints in the front go,Are expensive enough.
    Heater matrix.
    Dual mass ****ty flywheel

Other than that man their a flyer of a car,Plenty of power up high in the revs that would keep with most 1.6 hot hatchs.

Bulletproof engine.Plenty of nice mods available too but have deep pockets

• Registered Users Posts: 73,401 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

RX8's are getting cheap....

• Registered Users Posts: 51,158 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,044 ✭✭✭Sqaull20

How much are you getting it for? They are usually well overpriced for what you get.If your getting cheap, why not! They are a fine yoke, even though they are popular with scumbags.

Alternatives.

Octavia VRS ( low milage, would get it for 5k imo) 180bhp standard, decent on fuel for a turbo and they have good tuning capabilites, remap of over 200bhp is easily done.

http://www.driving.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=200944195695668

Mondeo ST.

http://www.driving.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=Car&carID=200945195719865&message=You%20searched%20for%3A%20Ford%20Mondeo%2C%20Engine%20Min%3A%202.5L%2C%20Petrol%20Only.%20Your%20search%20returned%20one%20vehicle%2C%20which%20is%20shown%20below.&CFID=10518728&CFTOKEN=71685694

M3.

3 door, but plenty of room in the back ;)

http://www.driving.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=200940195347152

Sqaull20 wrote: »
    How much are you getting it for? They are usually well overpriced for what you get.If your getting cheap, why not! They are a fine yoke, even though they are popular with scumbags.

I'm getting it for about 5k
    but its very clean car only 89km on the clock, 2years NCT as well,
    Alternatives.

Octavia VRS ( low milage, would get it for 5k imo) 180bhp standard, decent on fuel for a turbo and they have good tuning capabilites, remap of over 200bhp is easily done.

from what i heard these cars aren't that great when it comes to handling

Mondeo ST.

i haven't thought about it Mondeo ST to honest, but i'll have look at them,

http://www.driving.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=Car&carID=200945195719865&message=You%20searched%20for%3A%20Ford%20Mondeo%2C%20Engine%20Min%3A%202.5L%2C%20Petrol%20Only.%20Your%20search%20returned%20one%20vehicle%2C%20which%20is%20shown%20below.&CFID=10518728&CFTOKEN=71685694

M3.

maybe if 3years time.

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 daire54

yall pick up a altezza for under 5k with trd kit,,ans she'l diff..sour on juice!
    :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,993 ✭✭✭Barr

Alternatives.

Mondeo ST.

M3.

To be fair the alezza is a far superior car to the skoda and mondeo. The M3 is a completely different car to an altezza for comparison purposes

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

Barr wrote: »
    To be fair the alezza is a far superior car to the skoda and mondeo. The M3 is a completely different car to an altezza for comparison purposes

I'd take the Skoda or Ford over the Altezza all day long, there is no way an Altezza is a far superior car, it drinks petrol, isn't that fast, looks crap and isn't an overly nice car to drive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

colm_mcm wrote: »
    RX8's are getting cheap....

Hrmm, the low power ones are anemic tho..

• Registered Users Posts: 73,401 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Indeed, but that's what the 231 is for.

i see not alot of altezza fans here,
    Thanks for the comments anyways
    but i still dont have the answer im looking for,
    anyone has ever experience any kinda of probelm with these cars?

Thank you

R34-GTR wrote: »

Thank you

Cousin had one for about 6 months.

In that time the power steering pump packed in, steering column had some sort of problem, central locking never worked and he killed the car by hitting a pothole, the suspension setup just collapsed and the car was left sitting on the road with no suspension

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭Mick K

Mick K wrote: »
    Had one,Anti-christ on petrol although mine had a supra fuel pump.
    Handle well with coilovers.Very comfortable.

Faults.
    When they are imported best thing to do is replace the AFM straight off.
    Ball joints in the front go,Are expensive enough.
    Heater matrix.
    Dual mass ****ty flywheel

Other than that man their a flyer of a car,Plenty of power up high in the revs that would keep with most 1.6 hot hatchs.

Bulletproof engine.Plenty of nice mods available too but have deep pockets
    R34-GTR wrote: »

Thank you

Ahem...:rolleyes::cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭2 Espressi

there's a very similar conversation going on over at octae at the moment:

http://octane.ie/forum/showthread.php?t=31647

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 Erebus

In standard form they can be a bit under powered hence the higher fuel consumption.

2 Espressi wrote: »
    there's a very similar conversation going on over at octae at the moment:

http://octane.ie/forum/showthread.php?t=31647
    Erebus wrote: »
    In standard form they can be a bit under powered hence the higher fuel consumption.

From that thread even with a turbo and extras fitted the OP luckyfrank is still only getting 248bhp, In standard form they struggle to get anywhere near the factory spec of 207bhp with most in the 180 - 190 bhp so in terms of power output there is much much better options out there.

However the OP seems more concerned with having a nice 4 door saloon with a bit of power, which the Altezza seems to suit but I'd be looking at better value options personally

draffodx wrote: »
    From that thread even with a turbo and extras fitted the OP luckyfrank is still only getting 248bhp, In standard form they struggle to get anywhere near the factory spec of 207bhp with most in the 180 - 190 bhp so in terms of power output there is much much better options out there.

However the OP seems more concerned with having a nice 4 door saloon with a bit of power, which the Altezza seems to suit but I'd be looking at better value options personally

In standard form about the same as a Integra Type R then.
    http://www.parkers.co.uk/cars/specs/Summary.aspx?model=311

In standard form about the same as a Integra Type R then.
    http://www.parkers.co.uk/cars/specs/Summary.aspx?model=311

Yep power wise it is but that's the same power as a lightweight, performance orientated car in a heavy family saloon car.

Yep power wise it is but that's the same power as a lightweight, performance orientated car in a heavy family saloon car.

there's only 100kg in it.

teg Curb weight 1,199 kg
    tezza Curb weight
    1340 kg

sure that's a back seat.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,044 ✭✭✭Sqaull20

I'd take the Skoda or Ford over the Altezza all day long, there is no way an Altezza is a far superior car, it drinks petrol, isn't that fast, looks crap and isn't an overly nice car to drive.

Exactly! You have to forget the talk/image for a second and you will see that in a straight line the Altezza is simply not a fast car:rolleyes:

They say it can do 0-60 in 6.6secs or something like that, but in real time its closer to 8 seconds if not above it and if you dont hard launch it, it stretches out even further.2 guys at work have them, with a few little performance mods ( they are probably 180bhp on our fuel ) and they cant take my diesel fabia until above jail speeds.A remapped Mondeo 2.2tdci diesel would take one in imo:P That says it all lol.

I remember reading that at 50mph in fourth gear you have something like 85bhp available to you.

This with a simple remap would freighten the life out of an Altezza and its good on fuel, drives well, looks good and so on.

http://www.driving.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=200946195824971

Altezza would have been a good choice in 98, but there’re now just so many cars that do so much more.

there's only 100kg in it.

teg Curb weight 1,199 kg
    tezza Curb weight
    1340 kg

sure that's a back seat.

That Teg figure is wrong, I've had mine weighted and its 1090kg, and mine is the all inclusive model, the one without A/C etc will be even less. Japanese models weight even less again
    They say it can do 0-60 in 6.6secs or something like that

The official figure from Toyota is 7.2 seconds, thats at the 210ps rating, at the more realistic power figure of around 190ps it will more.

Dont get me wrong the Altezza is a good car its just not as powerful or as fast as people think or like to make out, as someone already pointed out on this thread its only really able to keep up with 1.6 hot hatches.

But as a 4 door saloon thats more powerful than the usual family cars out there its a good choice

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭luckyfrank

Yes i guys i own the tezza turbo and ive had the car dyno'd in two different places and both guys they told me an average altezza puts out between 150 and 170 bhp on a dyno 'and they have seen countless' a mapped standerd one can get to 200 bhp but they have never seeing a N/A tezza reach it's manufacturing spec speed

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,425 ✭✭✭FearDark

+1 to that, I was shocked the first time I drove one, and seemingly the one I drove had extra "mods" under the bonnet, still slow as treakle.

"Oh when that VVTI kicks in she's some beast" :rolleyes:

Advertisement