Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Hot hatch for the non scanger

Options
  • 06-11-2009 11:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,862 ✭✭✭

Hey all,

Just thinking - when I was a young chap lads could choose from a wealth of hot hatches that had no conortations of chavism. R5GT turbo - 205 GTI - Golf GTI and even the XR3i ( although we're getting into chav territory there ).

So what can young lads drive now thats fast fun and not driven by ever scanger in the country?

Integra - no
    Celica - no

Clio 172/182 maybe, Golf GTI is that it ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,663 ✭✭✭stealthyspeeder

Mazda 3 MPS (mark 1 version, the mark 2 is a bit chavtastic with its imprezza bonnet scoop and duel exhausts!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

Contemplating going looking at it today...even putting my hatred of the boggo version aside. Like a Mazda 3 MPS but no one will have a clue what it is...

no-image-large.gif&width=400&height=300

http://www.carzone.ie/search/Renault/Megane/Hatch-22/200936195078306/advert?channel=CARS

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

RobAMerc wrote: »
    Hey all,

Just thinking - when I was a young chap lads could choose from a wealth of hot hatches that had no conortations of chavism. R5GT turbo - 205 GTI - Golf GTI and even the XR3i ( although we're getting into chav territory there ).

So what can young lads drive now thats fast fun and not driven by ever scanger in the country?

Integra - no
    Celica - no

Clio 172/182 maybe, Golf GTI is that it ?

That's about it and the only reason for it is because of their difficulty to insure!

• Registered Users Posts: 51,144 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Focus ST though the extra styling is a bit on the loud side.

Others would be the Octavia vRS, S3 or Leon Cupra R.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,258 ✭✭✭kdevitt

Integra - no
    Celica - no

Funnilly enough - while I think a jap import Integra is the epitomy of a scangers car, a UKDM / Irish model isn't imo!

Think a Scirocco or Clio V6 would be on my list as well if I was in the market for a hot hatch though, or maybe just a mint old 205 GTi!

• Advertisement

betafrog wrote: »
    FIAT 500 Abarth?

Yes please:D

• Registered Users Posts: 43,025 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Skangers didnt buy those cars 205 golf gti etc when new because over here they cost the same as starter home to buy

• Registered Users Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭robtri

nice hot hatch... astra opc....... subtle and a hoot to drive..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭.Longshanks.

Take your pick!
    3705691009_84558da79e_b.jpg

Take your pick!

Didn't know the new Ka was available in that colour:p

• Advertisement

EPM wrote: »
    Didn't know the new Ka was available in that colour:p

Its a €2k extra :D

Take your pick!
    I'd have a very hard time picking one!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,102 ✭✭✭✭Drummerboy08

Not really that subtle, but I'd be its an animal to drive -

http://www.driving.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=200943195597906

media?id=8922221&width=400&height=300

Mini JCW anyone?

http://www.driving.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=200925194362967

media?id=7861125&width=400&height=300

Going down the years a bit, but you'd pick one up fairly cheap i'd say. I'd also being going down the UK route to find a clean one. Audi S3 -

http://www.driving.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=200937195169838

media?id=8644885&width=400&height=300

I dont think these are too loud, looks wise, and this is a cheap car! Ford Focus ST -

http://www.driving.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=200925194254661

media?id=7819413&width=400&height=300

Not a bad looking machine, probably not as nice to drive as the others, Honda Civic Type R -

http://www.driving.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=200940195388031

media?id=8781212&width=400&height=300

After experiencing Stealthyspeeder's car, I want one! Mazda 3 MPS -

http://www.driving.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=200919192736559

media?id=7404612&width=400&height=300

Little bit loud in Blue, not so much in black - Opel Astra OPC

http://www.driving.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=200917192568459

media?id=7267957&width=400&height=300

Or its smaller sister, the Corsa OPC -

http://www.driving.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=200937195178083

media?id=8641271&width=400&height=300

Anyone? Seat Leon FR DSG

http://www.driving.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=200925194375673

media?id=7877851&width=400&height=300

If you looking for economy as well as speed, Skoda Octy 2.0TDi VRS

http://www.driving.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=200941195458713

media?id=8724224&width=400&height=300

If you dont like any of the above, erm, buy an Avensis.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,387 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

so lads, ye're basically saying any car once it's new.

I've only linked to cars that are at approx 2 years or more old. Im simply not up on anything that goes back more than 5 or 6 years (too young!)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,620 ✭✭✭Graham_B18C

SV wrote: »
    That's about it and the only reason for it is because of their difficulty to insure!

I cant imagine the 172 being harder to insure than any other performance car is it? I would of thought it'd be handier to insure than my car, dunno why I think that but i've always assumed it!

O/T, next meet, I wanna spin in yours! Forgot to ask ya last time
    colm_mcm wrote: »
    so lads, ye're basically saying any car once it's new.

Thats the way it seems.

I always assumed the people that drive fast/performance cars were "car people" and would appreciate a car for its merits and not the steriotype it has :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

Going back to the original question I would say that most hot hatches aren't that chavvy to begin with.

The problem arises when the chav gets his/her filthy little paws on what was a lovely car and then adds burberry/playboy seat covers, tinted windows, new exhaust and stereo system and then drives up and down the main street of his local town like a princess/peacock on parade with his/her exhaust competing with the stereo system to see which can make the most noise :rolleyes:

That's when the hot hatch becomes a chavtastic-'Hey look at me, I'm an attention-whore'-mobile.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭meesa

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

skoda-fabia-vrs-previewed-at-geneva-medium_4.jpg

Fabia VRS ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

Discounting a car because the general public attach a stereotypical image to it is stupid. Just buy what you want and who cares what people think, The general public are in essence stupid, they'll see one scummer(or a few) in a car causing them annoyance and they'll associate all owners of that car with the same image.

I drive an Integra Type R and in no way fit the stereotypical image that many on here would associate with that car.

I would buy any car I like on its merits and whether I enjoy driving it and I would not let something as fickle as a stereotype put me off it whether it be a chavy car, a hairdressers car, a granny car, a boring car or a mid life crisis car.

This thread so far itself proves my point, most of the cars suggested are new and out of the price range of scummers so haven't fallen into there hands yet but in 10 to 15 years time I guarantee some of them will be on the chavy car list just like some great cars like the Integra & Celica have become victim of the low prices now however 10 to 15 years ago they never would have been in the scummers price range and would have been suggested in this exact thread if it was 10 years ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 994 ✭✭✭Twin-go

One older hot hatch I have yet to see "chaved up" is the e46 BMW Compact M sport: 2.5l straight 6 anyone?

normal_3e46_m_compact_side.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,102 ✭✭✭✭Drummerboy08

Twin-go wrote: »
    One older hot hatch I have yet to see "chaved up" is the e46 BMW Compact M sport: 2.5l straight 6 anyone?

Its one of the ugliest BMW's ever produced, and its a female hairdresser's car.

Grahamo999 wrote: »
    I cant imagine the 172 being harder to insure than any other performance car is it? I would of thought it'd be handier to insure than my car, dunno why I think that but i've always assumed it!

O/T, next meet, I wanna spin in yours! Forgot to ask ya last time

They're blacklisted by Quinn anyway!
    and most insurance companies(minus 123!)

Considered to be in the same risk category as the teg I'd say!

ah yeah definitely, She'll probably be over the 200brake with a LW flyhweel by then so you'll have fun :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 994 ✭✭✭Twin-go

Its one of the ugliest BMW's ever produced, and its a female hairdresser's car.

Why do some people have such stupid sterotypes of who should drive what cars in this country? People should be free to drive what ever car they wish with out been subjected to these sterotypes.

BTW Have you ever driven one? Its a better drive than the majority of front wheel drive cars mentioned already on this thread. It very well balanced and with the wheels in the corners it corners like its on rails.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 123 ✭✭Danuogma

My top three

lancia delta integrale..
    motoring-graphics-2_839503a.jpg

205 Gti.
    1214923842race_peugeot205gti3.jpg

Focus RS
    focus-rs-dec06-01.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,862 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

Lads - the BMW and Intrgrale are not hot hatches - granted they are hatches and are quick but hot hatch is a small pocket rocket type thing - the Integrale is a supercar in sheeps clothing !

I'm talking about the modern 205 gti - small, light, fast - more handling than power sort of yoke.

I notice all the cars being coughed up are fairly new - although you could probably pick up a Cooper S fairly right these days - and that should fit the bill ok.

Is the new Corsa any good - not at all an Opel fan in general but am interested in hearing some views.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭2 Espressi

A few off the top of my head.

Suzuki Swift/Ignis Sport. A hoot to drive, and off the radar too!
    Lupo GTi.
    Fiesta ST. Not as lairy looking as the Focus, very tunable, good handling chassis.
    Citroen Xsara VTR/VTS (whichever is the hot one)
    Fabia VRs
    Renaultsport Clio (172- 197) The 172 is an amazing car, and very subtle in standard form.

Lads - the BMW and Intrgrale are not hot hatches - granted they are hatches and are quick but hot hatch is a small pocket rocket type thing - the Integrale is a supercar in sheeps clothing !

I'm talking about the modern 205 gti - small, light, fast - more handling than power sort of yoke.

I notice all the cars being coughed up are fairly new - although you could probably pick up a Cooper S fairly right these days - and that should fit the bill ok.

Is the new Corsa any good - not at all an Opel fan in general but am interested in hearing some views.

What do you want to know? I love mine, its definitely unique on the road and i still get people asking me what it is!
    However i've never kept a car for more than 2 years and i've always had a soft spot for a slightly older supercharged Cooper S JCW with all the toys and about a month ago i came to the realisation that if i dont get one soon i might never (wedding etc on the way :D)
    So fire away with any questions and i'll do my best to answer them. PM me if you prefer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,862 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

So fire away with any questions and i'll do my best to answer them. PM me if you prefer

I've no specific questions - just wondering if they are any good ?
    Whats the handling like ? Whats the engine like ? Does it have any weaker points ?

I know you say you love yours but what else have you owned to compare it to? etc

General chit chat about cars really ;)

Advertisement