Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

danny rampling - A different kind of house

Options
  • 05-11-2009 10:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭

taken from another board

http://www.phoenixtrinity.co.uk/the-team/

Danny Rampling

Danny is a household name in the UK, and a world renowned DJ well respected in the music business as a youth cult visionary and a leading entrepreneur. Using his experience of the world’s most exquisite locations, he subsequently built a property portfolio on the South coast .

“When I brought the house music scene to the UK two decades ago I was at the forefront of a movement that united millions of people in a very positive way. I see parallels of this in today’s world where global challenges such as climate change are catalysing the same sense of, “we are all in this together”.

“I am excited at the new surge in global awareness and am very encouraged by the emphasis on personal responsibility. I realise the planet’s in trouble and I care deeply about our future.”

What a complete and utter fuvking prick

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭jtsuited

jesus fcuking christ, what an idiot.

Between him and tenaglia they really do bring stupidity to brave new heights.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 382 ✭✭acman

Surely this is a joke?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭Táck

climate change is no joke. do you see al gore laughing?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Jay D

Yeah I wonder how much of the interview was left out to be fair and what is it with people on here? Pack of moany little bitches to be fair. Oh yeah let's all have a moan about something, today's topic is:

<insert topic for the boards cry babies>

• Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭Hawk Wing

He is actually a very nice guy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Jay D wrote: »
    what is it with people on here? Pack of moany little bitches to be fair. Oh yeah let's all have a moan about something, today's topic is:

<insert topic for the boards cry babies>
    Here, here. There's some real moany little sh1ts on here at times. Christ, I'm not expecting a 1990's style E'd up circle jerk but ffs the man was just giving his opinion on something. And at the end of the day he's a bleeding hippy in his late forties so his opinion is hardly surprising.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭SuprSi

Yeah I don't see what the problem is. He sounds more like a hippy who has an over-inflated ego than a prick.

tough crowd over here brian, wha

Well ya see here's the thing.....

when people like rampling present the climate change issue as some sort of retarded hippy love-in issue, it discredits the more articulate and less intellectually retarded activists like the aforementioned Al Gore.

The fact that he's a over-the-hill irrelevant dj just makes it all the more hilarious. Don't think anyone's pissed off. It's more of a laughing tone than genuine disgust in most reactions.

but we do agree al gore is a ****

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭domcq

Definitely on the harsh side...

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

jtsuited wrote: »
    Well ya see here's the thing.....

when people like rampling present the climate change issue as some sort of retarded hippy love-in issue, it discredits the more articulate and less intellectually retarded activists like the aforementioned Al Gore.

The fact that he's a over-the-hill irrelevant dj just makes it all the more hilarious. Don't think anyone's pissed off. It's more of a laughing tone than genuine disgust in most reactions.
    Yeah but it's a snobby mightier than thou tone that has become so prevalent on this particular forum.

And as Jay D has said, it's quite possible that the quote was taken out of context. Personally I'd take more issue with the fact that interviewers feel the need to ask every two-bit celebrity their opinion on every from global warming to the Grimes Twins. It's hardly the "celeb's" fault that journalists publish everything they say.

BaZmO* wrote: »
    Yeah but it's a snobby mightier than thou tone that has become so prevalent on this particular forum.

And as Jay D has said, it's quite possible that the quote was taken out of context. Personally I'd take more issue with the fact that interviewers feel the need to ask every two-bit celebrity their opinion on every from global warming to the Grimes Twins. It's hardly the "celeb's" fault that journalists publish everything they say.

i hear ya (and i'm probably a right aul snobby git).
    however Rampling is a specific case of a guy who's still struggling to stay in the limelight but seems very desperate to do so.

Take for example this http://www.learnhowtobeadj.com/

Puts the whole thing in more context methinks.

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭dubsbhoy

I thought he was after going and shooting 5 kids on their way to school or not showing up for a gig.

As for climate change.........it won't effect me and i hate my kids and everyone elses :eek:

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 717 ✭✭✭Porkpie

Raising awareness of climate change is a good thing, however it's done. Some are better than others. He's no Al Gore for sure, but his intentions are good. I have nothing but respect for Danny, I used to love his LGDP on Radio 1.

Why can't we all just get along? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 39,534 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Edited the thread title to something a little less agressive and confrontational

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 OV

Housing Project? He's hardly building homes for the needy in Africa now is he.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,534 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

OV wrote: »
    Housing Project? He's hardly building homes for the needy in Africa now is he.

fair comment. Changed again.

• Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭brianc27

KevIRL wrote: »
    Edited the thread title to something a little less agressive and confrontational

fair enough, i actualy pm'd zascar myself earlier to change he title as this seemed to be turning into another post of people getting their knickers in a twist.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

"Celebrity DJ says something arsey" - shock horror!

I often think that if I was a high society celebrity I'd be quoted by the papers all over the place saying stupid things.

Way too many people are jumping on this Global Warming Bandwagon - makes my blood boil. Al Gore is a complete tool. The Global Warming movement is way more political than environmental. I could rant on this for pages...

• Advertisement

Zascar wrote: »
    "Celebrity DJ says something arsey" - shock horror!

I often think that if I was a high society celebrity I'd be quoted by the papers all over the place saying stupid things.

Way too many people are jumping on this Global Warming Bandwagon - makes my blood boil. Al Gore is a complete tool. The Global Warming movement is way more political than environmental. I could rant on this for pages...

Go on Zas, get stuck in!!

I actually think Gore is alright, but the rest of the movement as a whole are a bunch of idiots.

Am I the only person who genuinely doesn't give a sh1t about my children's children's children?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Ah don't get me started mate. I'm not saying I don't believe in Global Warming, I just think that Human's are not anywhere near as responsible for it as some people say we are. I think its just so so arrogant to say that us, humans, can have detrimental effects on out huge and complex earth with a little extra CO2.

I Highly recommend everyone watches this Channel 4 Documentary:

The Great Global Warming Swindle: http://www.viddler.com/explore/micheleforan/videos/2/

Even just watch the first 5-10 minutes and you'll get good idea of what its talking about.

(also note ciritcisms though - its not 100% accurate - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Great_Global_Warming_Swindle)

What pisses me off is that in tiny little Ireland, who can't be responsible for more than a tenth of a % of the CO2, the fcuing greens go bananas and now if I want a large engined car its going to cost me €1350 in tax every year. GGGGRRRRRR. Bill Cullen's little speech on that chat show was right.

Anyhoo, when i first read the OP's post, what i found funny was "When I brought the house music scene to the UK two decades ago". That's a big statement

• Registered Users Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭joker77

Anyhoo, when i first read the OP's post, what i found funny was "When I brought the house music scene to the UK two decades ago". That's a big statement
    ha ha - thought that was a little funny alright.

Completely agree about the whole swindle thing - and Al Gore p*sses me right off - he was Vice President of the most powerful, and also the most poluting, nation on the planet - WHY NOT DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT THEN!! Oh no wait, try to get elected as President, fail because of a voting scam, get depressed, grow a beard, and make a documentary. F*ck off.

I think its just so so arrogant to say that us, humans, can have detrimental effects on out huge and complex earth with a little extra CO2.

ah your whole post was good apart from this. there is good evidence that a little extra CO2 could (in theory) cause fairly significant climate change. Whether that is ACTUALLY going on is of course up for debate.

But it's not 'arrogant' to think humans could really fcuk up this planet (technically we could destroy all life on this planet in the blink of an eye - think about all those H-bombs). We could. The question is whether we are right now contributing to the extent some allege that we are.

I don't think it's arrogant to say 'there's a possibility that we're having a detrimental effect on our huge and complex earth by putting a little too much CO2 in the atmosphere'. Given what we know through the sciences like.

• Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

It's a statement he has a right to make as he was part of the introduction of house music to the UK along with the likes of Oakenfold in the late 80s. If I did that I would certainly boast about it till my last breath of air!

Equally if it helps with causes he believes in so be it. Or on the flip side if it helps him in business or to earn money, why the hell not.

When I saw this topic (prior to the title edit) I really thought he did something terrible!

Edit - I should say (before I'm attacked by the youth mob) that he is widely credited as being one of the people to introduce house to the UK. I wasn't there, nor do I personally know him to 100% verify this!

What pisses me off is that in tiny little Ireland, who can't be responsible for more than a tenth of a % of the CO2, the fcuing greens go bananas and now if I want a large engined car its going to cost me €1350 in tax every year. GGGGRRRRRR.
    Ah come on now Zas, you know what that's about. It's a way of introducing a sort of progressive taxation system on those that can afford it under the guise of trying to be environmentally conscious.
    A fairly smart business move tbh by the government. If only they could be so fcuking smart when it came to spending money as opposed to making money.

Fair enough. I just think that the world is a complex place and with its weather systems and atmosphere, it is constantly changing and has done for millions of years. Realistically we know very little about it and we cannot be 100% sure that extra C02 WILL have detrimental results, especially considering such conflicting research.

one important aspect to consider, As its explains very clearly in the movie above - if a scientist gets a big whack of funding to do a massive project on the possibility of global warming, a large part of his findings will come from hugely complicated mathematical computer models. In these are lots of different figures from collated data. Changing some of these figures even slightly can mean hugely different end results. So, when it comes to result time, he could conclude with "Well, not sure, it might or it might not, probably won't be much difference" where will be a percieved waste of money and no one will notice the results, OR if he can get a conclusion that says "We're all Fcuked" - which will get his name in headlines all over the world. I wonder which one most scientists are likely to aim towards?

The world is very adaptive and I just have a problem with some guys saying the ice caps are going to melt in 20/50/100 years and we're going to be plunged into another ice age. Yes lets stop polluting and yes lets take better care of our earth, but lets not get carried away with ourselves while doing it.

Felixdhc wrote: »
    It's a statement he has a right to make as he was part of the introduction of house music to the UK along with the likes of Oakenfold in the late 80s. If I did that I would certainly boast about it till my last breath of air!

Equally if it helps with causes he believes in so be it. Or on the flip side if it helps him in business or to earn money, why the hell not.

When I saw this topic (prior to the title edit) I really thought he did something terrible!

Edit - I should say (before I'm attacked by the youth mob) that he is widely credited as being one of the people to introduce house to the UK. I wasn't there, nor do I personally know him to 100% verify this!
    I was not really sure but fair enough. However, he said "I" did it, like it was him alone... He could have said "I was amongst a group of people who brought House Music to the UK" - but really I'm just being pedantic. I agree he's just trying to promote his career so fair enough.

• Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

Fair enough. I just think that the world is a complex place and with its weather systems and atmosphere, it is constantly changing and has done for millions of years. Realistically we know very little about it and we cannot be 100% sure that extra C02 WILL have detrimental results, especially considering such conflicting research.

one important aspect to consider, As its explains very clearly in the movie above - if a scientist gets a big whack of funding to do a massive project on the possibility of global warming, a large part of his findings will come from hugely complicated mathematical computer models. In these are lots of different figures from collated data. Changing some of these figures even slightly can mean hugely different end results. So, when it comes to result time, he could conclude with "Well, not sure, it might or it might not, probably won't be much difference" where will be a percieved waste of money and no one will notice the results, OR if he can get a conclusion that says "We're all Fcuked" - which will get his name in headlines all over the world. I wonder which one most scientists are likely to aim towards?

The world is very adaptive and I just have a problem with some guys saying the ice caps are going to melt in 20/50/100 years and we're going to be plunged into another ice age. Yes lets stop polluting and yes lets take better care of our earth, but lets not get carried away with ourselves while doing it.

Hmmm, David McWilliams?

Sorry to drag away from global warming to local economy but I couldn't but think of our Mr McWilliams when I read that.

• Advertisement

jtsuited wrote: »
    Ah come on now Zas, you know what that's about. It's a way of introducing a sort of progressive taxation system on those that can afford it under the guise of trying to be environmentally conscious. A fairly smart business move tbh by the government.

If only they could be so fcuking smart when it came to spending money as opposed to making money.
    True enough - I always wondered why they did not just abolish tax and put a flat rate on petrol - that way people are just going to want to buy more fuel efficient and less pollutant cars (Yes there are exceptions of course). Uk is so much cheaper

Advertisement