Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Rail 2010 timetable now online

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭KC61

positron wrote: »
    I don't understand IrishRail's approach on this. Is clock-facing DART service such a hugely desirable thing to do it even if it ruins many other commuter routes?

Thanks to their "planning" I now spend 12 more minutes on board these trains daily and my wife spends 20 more minutes every day - that is if they run on time. This morning for example, the 0712 service from Drogheda (used to be 0718) which was expected to be at Blackrock at 0834. Come 0834, it was sitting pretty at Pearse!

I have been commuting for more than 4 years now in this route, and the ticket prices has been going up steadily, while the quality of service has been degrading year after year! May be this is what they call "Negative Growth". :D Well, I am not even surprised..! :(

PS: There's a public meeting arranged for Monday, December 7th, 7:30 pm at WestCourt Hotel in Drogheda, arranged by TD Fergus O'Dowd (I think), and IrishRail and Bus representatives are supposed to be there to discuss our concerns..! As usual, if you don't fight for yourself, no one else will!

The problem with the new timetable is that while a clockface DART timetable was implemented, they decided in their infinite wisdom not to implement a similar setup on the other commuter routes to Drogheda and Maynooth, something that could have been done.

A quick update on timetables available to the public:

The usual complete timetable booklet is not being sold to the public this year. It is only being made available internally.

Individual route flyers are available from stations for all Intercity routes, Drogheda, Longford/Maynooth, Kildare and Cork local services.

DART timetables are only available as a pdf document on the Irish Rail website. They are not available at stations to take home.

These changes are cost cutting measures on the part of the company.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,470 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

KC61 wrote: »

The usual complete timetable booklet is not being sold to the public this year. It is only being made available internally.

Individual route flyers are available from stations for all Intercity routes, Drogheda, Longford/Maynooth, Kildare and Cork local services.

DART timetables are only available as a pdf document on the Irish Rail website. They are not available at stations to take home.

These changes are cost cutting measures on the part of the company.

Why not put a small charge on the timetable? If I used the train for work or regularly I'd rather pay €2 for the complete book rather than print and carry around a load of timetables.

It a fairly poor method of cost cutting tbh, much bigger issues need to be addressed before looking at something this small and beneficial

Should have said it was for enviromental reasons :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭MysticalSoul

They didn't sell it last year either - the one I have, is from 2008 - thankfully though, there were only minor changes last year.

Why not put a small charge on the timetable? If I used the train for work or regularly I'd rather pay €2 for the complete book rather than print and carry around a load of timetables.

It a fairly poor method of cost cutting tbh, much bigger issues need to be addressed before looking at something this small and beneficial

Should have said it was for enviromental reasons :pac:

I used to get one every year, till they stopped doing them last year, and the cost was €2. For the most part is fine, as usually get out at the stations in town, and can add/subtract a few minutes to figure out what time I need to be at the station at, however, if I wanted to get a train to Blackrock/Dun Laoghaire etc, as I do fairly frequently, it is harder to work out then, and the text service are premium texts, and hence a rip off.

• Advertisement

They didn't sell it last year either - the one I have, is from 2008 - thankfully though, there were only minor changes last year.

Actually there was a book issued last year and sold - I have a copy at home!

Actually there was a book issued last year and sold - I have a copy at home!

I asked quite a few times for one earlier in the year, and kept getting the story that one was not being issued. In February I gave up. However, maybe that means there is hope of a new book being sold then :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭West Briton

The Book has often been a mystery and Irish Rail staff in my long experience are never enthusiastic about selling them.

What doesn't make sense is that there is already an internal version of the timetable, the Working Timetable. Why should the much smaller, spiral bound version be out of bounds to the public?

At the very least IR could take a virtual leaf out of National Rail's book and produce a pdf version of the spiral bound book and not the bloody fiddly pdfs they have on the website :mad:

Advertisement