Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Quiet here lately..(the random chat thread)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭Aidan_M_M

Macspower wrote: »

those of you wioth trauma blow heating... I noticed this the last cold night... I turn on the heating and turn dial to 20 and all is ok but when i go over 25 a red light starts flashing but heat still seems to work...

any ideas?

Either your leisure battery is getting low , or the supply cable to the heater is breaking down . Either way the voltage at the heater is below 11.o volts . I bet if you turn on the engine , the red light stops flashing?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭Macspower

Aidan_M_M wrote: »
    Either your leisure battery is getting low , or the supply cable to the heater is breaking down . Either way the voltage at the heater is below 11.o volts . I bet if you turn on the engine , the red light stops flashing?

Interesting... I have new leisure batterys so cant be that... I'll try the engine thing and work from there

Interesting... I have new leisure batterys so cant be that... I'll try the engine thing and work from there

Well I'n not claiming to be an expert , but the Red "fault" light flashing , on a Truma heater/boiler means low voltage . How long were you parked ? The Combi Boiler uses a fair bit of current to run at high settings , so if the connections supplying the positive or negative are weak , broken or dirty anywhere , you'll not be getting full whack .

Starting the engine just ups the battery voltage from the "at rest" 12.5-12.9 volts , to about 14v . Assuming the charging system is also healthy.....

Well I'n not claiming to be an expert , but the Red "fault" light flashing , on a Truma heater/boiler means low voltage . How long were you parked ? The Combi Boiler uses a fair bit of current to run at high settings , so if the connections supplying the positive or negative are weak , broken or dirty anywhere , you'll not be getting full whack .

Starting the engine just ups the battery voltage from the "at rest" 12.5-12.9 volts , to about 14v . Assuming the charging system is also healthy.....

As you say it must be low voltage somewhere or perhaps a poor earth... it happens at full charge as well. I'll have a look tomorrow and see if starting the engine makes it work which points to a voltage drop alright

thx for the help

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭Donal94

Hi this is my first post as an owner. Got my van a few weeks ago. I spent a few days surfing in lahinch and was in tramore last weekend. I ran out of gas and got a puncture on my second trip!, I hope its not a bad omen! Anyone have a list of campsites that stay open through the winter?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16 rozi

hi, relatively new myself, the dealer who sold me the van gave me a copy of irish campsites recommended by bord failte. it lists some that r open thru the winter. skibereen in west cork is open to motorhomes thru winter, u can get a copy in easons, or alternatively find the info online thru bord failte. i stayed in tralee , kinsale and clonakilty over the last few weeks wild camping and it was great. hopefully go somewher again weekend after next. happy camping:D:D

As you say it must be low voltage somewhere or perhaps a poor earth...

thx for the help

My pleasure .

Well what an expensive day...

Step Motor 185 euro... fitted it this afternoon...
    Truma Exhaust cover 15 euro
    Cover/flap for electricity connection 10 euro

then started examining my heater problem from above and I found the problem was I was only getting 10.5 volts at the heater and on further examination I found one of my leisure batteries was dead/dying :( So new Leisure battery 130 euro..

filled with diesel 76 euro....

hope every day is not as expensive as this!

I found one of my leisure batteries was dead/dying :( So new Leisure battery 130 euro..!

thought you had 2 new ones? Did you check your 12v charging?

thought you had 2 new ones? Did you check your 12v charging?

yeah van has 3... 2 new ones and old one under the passenger seat... this was the faulty one... Should have listened to advice and taken it out of circuit whent he new ones went in... but it seemed ok then :(

Charging seems to be good... I ran the heating today at full 30C and it worked fine for an hour anyway...

Have it on mains since last night so taking it away tomorrow so no doubt the heaters will get tested this weekend :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭killalanerr

good Man max bit of batter and a slice of lemon and the jobs a good un ;)

For the winter I do coarse fishing.. Mainly roach/Bream/Perch/Hybrids

Here was my bag from earlier this week

05112009118.jpg

and some of the better hybrids look like this

06112009122.jpg

was away at the weekend in Carrick on Shannon and again spent a night in Anderson's Thatch Pub... He tells me some camper club are coming to him in the next week or 2. I'm not sure which one..

I also had my first ever untimely wake up call at 3am last night.. I was parked in Athy Town to get an early start fishing when Someone came rapping on the door ansing me to move at 3am.. I was sure it was some drunks...but when I eventually came to the front it was some street trader looking set up his stall.. Was very apologetic but claimed if he didn't get that spot someone else would get it on him :rolleyes:

all going well and with good health it looks like we will be heading to la France again next year so we are starting to plan our route,last year we just drifted and had a very nice time just following the sun,this trip i would like to have a more formal route planed
    we will be going in late Aug any suggestions as to where to head to,we will have 3 weeks give or take a day or 2

• Registered Users Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭stapeler

Have you considered Germany? In 2008 we spent 3 weeks mostly in Germany, Stopped near Paris for a couple of days, down to Black Forest region of Germany,Freiburgh, Lindau, Neuschwanstein, Munich etc and had a ball. Scenery is absolutely fantastic and highly recommended. About 2500km total and stopped for for long enough (3-4 days) in various places to really get a feel for the place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 338 ✭✭SARZY

Donal94 wrote: »
    Hi this is my first post as an owner. Got my van a few weeks ago. I spent a few days surfing in lahinch and was in tramore last weekend. I ran out of gas and got a puncture on my second trip!, I hope its not a bad omen! Anyone have a list of campsites that stay open through the winter?

George Drew's campsite at Aherlow is open all year. Great spot. Great facilities. No surfing though, on water anyway.
    Great walking routes nearby and 2 pubs within walking distance.
    Usually a few hardy winter time campers around.
    All round great site.

its my busy time over the Christmas so been quite for a while so belated Christmas wishes and a happy new year to all the camping boardies

be grate to set a date for a 2010 meet boards meet :) ...?

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭shigg

1st day back at work and after the CABIN FEVER XMAS that was, am looking at Scotland for Easter. Any info on good wild spots/surf spots etc welcome. Will go for a week and generally stay coastal. Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭KoNiT

anyone else use their camper for fishing?
    still laughing at this..

I was waiting for Macspower to pull up a photo of "Jaws" in a huge net!!

Hi guys,

sorry for my absence lately...

I had a moment of temp insanity and took over a hotel!!! yeah a bloody hotel...

Anyway working 20 hours per day has put a stop to camper activities... Of course with all the goings on over the christmas I forgot to drain my tanks and all is frozen... cant check damage until it all thaws out this week...

Hotel is the white house hotel in ballinlough co roscommon and campers are always welcome and have secure parking at the rear.. I'm going to put in some facilities soon for the same... I already have one guy in the yard who came for pike fishing but cant fish due to the ice (unless he cuts a hole like the eskimos)

anyway back to working 20 hours a day!!!

happy new year and all that stuff :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,733 ✭✭✭meercat

good luck macspower.hope not too much damage

• Advertisement

well it's defrosted and sure enough i have a leak... scarey one... havn't had time to loo0k yet but it's coming directly from under the boiler unit :eek:

better than a leak in the roof Mac! probably a bust pipe or fitting.

its nice to see some of you out and about again seen 4 vans out my way over the weekend doing a bit of wild camping,
    i still have no van its still in the garage waiting for parts:( (thats 6 weeks now) long story i will fill you in when i get it back so im grounded till its return ,plus its for sale on D/D and when people ring i have to tell them i dont have the van to show them :rolleyes: what would you think if you rang and was told this :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 rozi

went on an over nite to killarny at the weekend, was great craic, certainly didnt feel cold. saw a few vans around, mostly in tesco car park

Helloooooo....where's everyone gone?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

Ooh, Ooh, over here to the left....

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭Malta1

Ooh, Ooh, over here to the left....

down a bit, down a bit.......

• Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭siobhan.murphy

hiya!
    was wondering where is the nicest place any of ye have stayed in Ireland?
    I loved the glen of Aherlow (and the pub down the road) :)

another thing I was wondering,when wild camping in Ireland is there anywhere that has facilities for dumping :D(no pun intended) the toilets or the waste water??:pac::pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,733 ✭✭✭meercat

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭siobhan.murphy

Advertisement