Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Plasma Cosmology & the Electric Universe

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,064 ✭✭✭Gurgle

Inti wrote: »
    you said "no conductive properties", in open space, but also that there could be 100 charged particles per cu meter

what is going to "not happen" to an em field?

This thread started as a discussion of the 'Plasma Cosmology' theory, that the formation of the universe after the big bang - ie the formation of galaxies - was due to the effect of charged matter spread throughout space.

This theory was around in the 60s, as an alternate explanation to CMBR fluctuations to explain the formation of galaxies. Since then CMBR fluctuations and the contents of space have been measured, making the PC theory defunct.

The basis of the theory is that EM forces are equal in importance to Gravity on an intergalactic scale - i.e that Einstein was way off on a tangent and had got it all wrong.

Anyhow, there are some pseudo scientists who claim that PC is actually correct, based on the fact that open space is full of plasma. Technically this is true, but that plasma is plasma in the sense that its matter which isn't formed into molecules. When we think of plasma, we think of dense matter which is super-heated to the point that the electrons separate from the nuclei. This high-energy plasma has loads of EM properties.

This is not the case in space, the matter is present so sparsely that the effect of its charge is negligible.

100 charged particles per cubic meter will give rise to an EM field, but one so weak that it has essentially no effect - the dominant force on a passing photon will be due to gravity, even in intergalactic space.
    you don't seem to mean a photon, so do you mean charge?
    Those charged particles are individual protons, aka hydrogen nuclei.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Inti

Gurgle wrote: »
    This thread started as a discussion of the 'Plasma Cosmology' theory, that the formation of the universe after the big bang - ie the formation of galaxies - was due to the effect of charged matter spread throughout space.
    ok, thanks for something specific. galaxy formation; sorry i didn't catch that from the beginning.
    This theory was around in the 60s, as an alternate explanation to CMBR fluctuations to explain the formation of galaxies. Since then CMBR fluctuations and the contents of space have been measured, making the PC theory defunct.

The basis of the theory is that EM forces are equal in importance to Gravity on an intergalactic scale - i.e that Einstein was way off on a tangent and had got it all wrong.
    "this theory" is called what? which paper are you citing?

an "alternate explanation of the cmbr fluctuations"? what was it competing with at that time?

whatever that was, i take it that it claims that only gravity is responsible for galaxy formation? (and the fluctuations?)

to what degree would this argument (between the 2 sides) be considered "rhetorical"? ie. if it turns out that gravity is 60% and em 40%, would you consider it a "win", or a "loss"? how about g = 30%, em = 30%, and "something else" = 40%? only "something else" gets to say they're right?

the part about mr einstein is quite uncalled for. can you show the paper that said he was "off on a tangent" (or any such thing)? there's no reason for anyone to mention him, because he did not put forth any model of the big bang, or galaxy formation. just because some people used his gravitational law in their theories does not make them correct, no could it have anything to do with someone else pointing out flaws in that model being equivalent to saying einstein (relativity) is wrong.
    Anyhow, there are some pseudo scientists who claim that PC is actually correct, based on the fact that open space is full of plasma. Technically this is true, but that plasma is plasma in the sense that its matter which isn't formed into molecules. When we think of plasma, we think of dense matter which is super-heated to the point that the electrons separate from the nuclei. This high-energy plasma has loads of EM properties.

i don't know everything, of course, i am just trying to learn about science. i don’t follow the pseudo-anything on tv or internet. we need to use peer reviewed sources.

“we think of plasma, we think of dense matter which is super-heated.. has loads of em properties” – ok, so where does this energy go? how would it cool down, as it spreads out in these “open spaces”?
    This is not the case in space, the matter is present so sparsely that the effect of its charge is negligible.

100 charged particles per cubic meter will give rise to an EM field, but one so weak that it has essentially no effect - the dominant force on a passing photon will be due to gravity, even in intergalactic space.

Those charged particles are individual protons, aka hydrogen nuclei.

if we started a model to explain a galaxy formation, how would we go about it? let’s put 2 mass sources (other galaxies) at some distance apart. then we’ll fill this space with the 100 p/m^3 you mentioned. we want to get something started between these particles, so that they can come together. we have gravity vs. charge.

F = G * m_1 – m_2 / r^2

F = k_e * q_1*q_2 / r^2

[font=&quot]When measured in units that people commonly use (such as SI—see International System of Units), the electrostatic force constant (ke) is numerically much much larger than the universal gravitational constant (G).[4] This means that for objects with charge that is of the order of a unit charge (C) and mass of the order of a unit mass (kg), the electrostatic forces will be so much larger than the gravitational forces that the latter force can be ignored. This is not the case when Planck units are used and both charge and mass are of the order of the unit charge and unit mass. However, charged elementary particles have mass that is far less than the Planck mass while their charge is about the Planck charge so that, again, gravitational forces can be ignored. For example, the electrostatic force between an electron and a proton, which constitute a hydrogen atom, is almost 40 orders of magnitude greater than the gravitational force between them.[9][/font]
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coulomb%27s_law

i can't agree with your claim that "charge is negligible.. the dominant force on a passing photon will be due to gravity..".

what is my reason to agree? (aren't we talking about the force on the 2 particles, rather than on a photon?)

:confused:

"this theory" is called what? which paper are you citing?
    Plasma Cosmology, as per the thread title.
    an "alternate explanation of the cmbr fluctuations"? what was it competing with at that time?
    At the time (the 60s), the big bang theory had been all figured and measurements of galaxies, their distances and speeds all supported it.

Cosmic Microwave Background Radiation (CMBR) was theoretically predicted in the 40s as something we could expect to detect if the big bang had happened. In the early 60s, this radiation was successfully detected at exactly the predicted frequencies.

The big question moved on from 'Was there a big bang?' to 'After the big bang, how did the homogenous state of matter spread throughout the universe condense into galaxies?'.

One theory was that the early expansion after the big bang was not absolutely homogenous, which could be confirmed if fluctuations(inhomogeneities) in the CMBR could be measured. If this were true, then there would be denser regions forming curvature in Space-Time (Einstein, general relativity) which would attract more matter and eventually condense into gravity.

Plasma Cosmology was another theory which suggested that gravity was not responsible, but that after the big bang it was the distribution of charged particles that caused matter to condense into galaxies.

In the early 80's, the inhomogeneities in CMBR were detected and measured.
    Case closed, deal done, we know how galaxies were formed.
    if we started a model to explain a galaxy formation, how would we go about it?
    Start with a PhD in theoretical physics, then get back and explain the whole thing to me. I'm (only) an engineer who reads stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,552 ✭✭✭roosh

just to dive in here.

this was how I came across the concept.

there are other vids on there, under plasma cosmology.

That was merely a starting point that piqued my interest. I searched around the net then for other stuff on the topic. There are some interesting claims, but I'm afraid I don't have the level of expertise to really understand a lot of it.

One thing, though, and I'm not sure if this has changed from the '60s but one of the proponents in the vids says that PC isn't about the distribution of matter after the big bang, but rather the formation of galaxies, with no assumption of the big bang.

With regard to the CMBR, it is claimed by the PC proponents that CMBR was predicted by "big bangers" but was incorrect to a degree of twenty, while PC proponents got it almost spot on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Inti

Plasma Cosmology, as per the thread title.

At the time (the 60s), the big bang theory had been all figured and measurements of galaxies, their distances and speeds all supported it.

Cosmic Microwave Background Radiation (CMBR) was theoretically predicted in the 40s as something we could expect to detect if the big bang had happened.

first, you didn't bother responding to my points; here they are again.

1. coulombs law says we ignore gravity. you need to explain (or point to the explanation) of why we shouldn't, in order to make any claims, as you have.
    When measured in units that people commonly use (such as SI—see International System of Units), the electrostatic force constant (ke) is numerically much much larger than the universal gravitational constant (G).[4] This means that for objects with charge that is of the order of a unit charge (C) and mass of the order of a unit mass (kg), the electrostatic forces will be so much larger than the gravitational forces that the latter force can be ignored. This is not the case when Planck units are used and both charge and mass are of the order of the unit charge and unit mass. However, charged elementary particles have mass that is far less than the Planck mass while their charge is about the Planck charge so that, again, gravitational forces can be ignored. For example, the electrostatic force between an electron and a proton, which constitute a hydrogen atom, is almost 40 orders of magnitude greater than the gravitational force between them.[9]
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coulomb%27s_law

second, if you are going to mention specific predictions, as you are, then you need to provide the author and title of the peer reviewed paper that presented it. these theories (PC, BB) are not 'single paper/single author' ideas, so you must be more specific.

if you don't have the time, or knowledge, that's fine. but your saying "the case is closed" is ridiculous. you haven't even opened it yet.

please, less hand waving, and more details.

back to some of the first points you missed: you need to calculate the entire volume of 'space', not the 'per meter' rate. then you can begin to understand how space is conductive. these charged particles are moving, and interacting. the spaces that you described are billions and billions of cubic meters, just to get started. there is more at the same link above, if you want to see how.

galaxy formation (or most any of cosmology) is not completely understood yet. note the glaring errors of 'big bang' when it came to 'predicting' dark matter/dark energy. that evidence says that bb is wrong, yet of course, they cling to the hope that they will be able to patch it up (again), and continue receiving funding. this is normal.
    It is one of the most active research areas in astrophysics.

Despite its many successes this picture is not sufficient to explain the variety of structure we see in galaxies.

The Lambda-CDM model of galaxy formation under predicts the number of thin disk galaxies in the universe.[5]
    .. While this remains an unsolved problem for astronomers, it does not necessarily mean that the Lambda-CDM model is completely wrong, but rather that it requires further refinement to accurately reproduce the population of galaxies in the universe.

Astronomers do not currently know what process stops the contraction. In fact, theories of disk galaxy formation are not successful at producing the rotation speed and size of disk galaxies.

While we have learned a great deal about ours and other galaxies, the most fundamental questions about formation and evolution remain only tentatively answered.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Galaxy_formation_and_evolution

case far from closed.

:)

• Advertisement

1. coulombs law says we ignore gravity. you need to explain (or point to the explanation) of why we shouldn't...
    This is leaving cert physics, referring to the closed system interaction of two elementary charged particles. Yes the gravitational attraction between them is much less than the EM interaction, but there are no closed systems - this is an entirely theoretical situation.

The force experienced due to gravity:
    F = G m1m2 / d squared

If m1 is a galaxy rather than a charged particle, then gravity becomes a lot more significant.

Both EM and Gravity are inverse-square laws.

When d is very very small, the rate of fall-off occurs rapidly.
    As d becomes larger, the rate of fall-off becomes very very slow.

(Have you got Excel? Check this out if you don't believe me)

The EM inverse-distance-squared effect of 100 charged particles per meter cubed is negligible compared to the gravitational effect of a galaxy a few parsecs away.

Do the maths based on the formulae you quoted, elementary particle size, galactic sizes and separations.
    second, if you are going to mention specific predictions, as you are, then you need to provide the author and title of the peer reviewed paper that presented it. these theories (PC, BB) are not 'single paper/single author' ideas, so you must be more specific.

if you don't have the time, or knowledge, that's fine. but your saying "the case is closed" is ridiculous. you haven't even opened it yet.
    I'm not writing a paper to make a new arguement or a new model of the universe, I'm quoting from layman-accessible explanations of the 'best-fit' theories to explain the physics involved.

If you want a detailed maths-physics breakdown of these theories, take youself off to the physics / chemistry forum where Professor Fink & Co will leave you reeling with details way beyond your (or my) ability to comprehend.
    back to some of the first points you missed: you need to calculate the entire volume of 'space', not the 'per meter' rate. then you can begin to understand how space is conductive.
    This much I can tell you from absolute professional knowledge: That is not how conductivity works. Conductivity is a matter of charge carriers per unit volume.
    galaxy formation (or most any of cosmology) is not completely understood yet. note the glaring errors of 'big bang' when it came to 'predicting' dark matter/dark energy.
    What glaring errors?
    The big bang is damn near unique in that its a theory that grew out of evidence, rather than the more common procedure of mathematically constructing a theory first then looking for evidence to see if its right.
    that evidence says that bb is wrong

Dark matter and dark energy are both place-holder names for effects which have no visible causes. There is (to the best of my knowledge) nothing in those effects that contravenes big-bang physics*.
    Where did you get the idea that dark matter / dark energy goes against the big bang theory?

(Having said that, my personal feeling is that all the matter/energy in the universe did not partake in just the one big bang. I have nothing to back that up, so I'm not putting it forward for scientific consideration. Yet. Give me a few decades to get my own PhD in theoretical physics.)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

back to some of the first points you missed: you need to calculate the entire volume of 'space', not the 'per meter' rate. then you can begin to understand how space is conductive. these charged particles are moving, and interacting. the spaces that you described are billions and billions of cubic meters, just to get started. there is more at the same link above, if you want to see how.

You should inform NASA of the conductive properties of space because they seem to be under the impression that it has none. They are clearly 'wasting' billions of dollars on shielding materials for the space program.

Advertisement