Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mad Max: Fury Road

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,870 ✭✭✭Joeface

this came to mind after seeing Fury Road

and yes I was entertained

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,951 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

e_e wrote: »
    http://www.slashfilm.com/mad-max-masculinity/

Great piece here on the film's positive portrayal of gender on both sides.

Apparently the biker grannies did a lot of their own stunts, which only makes their escapades even more kick ass.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Only criticism I had of Hardy was his accent, I think he might just not be very good at them. Other than that he was grand.

This and the relative lack of backstory were the only downsides for me. Otherwise I was suitably blown away and came out thinking I'd had an EXPERIENCE!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,269 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

This and the relative lack of backstory were the only downsides for me. Otherwise I was suitably blown away and came out thinking I'd had an EXPERIENCE!

If there is one thing that movie did not need it was more back story. Nothing better for ruining the mystique of a strange world than having every little detail needlessly explained.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,870 ✭✭✭Joeface

its pretty much a direct sequel to Road warrior , so there's the back story .

I was really impressed at how well it looked , the imagery was out standing .
    it is pretty relentless from start to finish.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭ktulu123

I think the follow up Mad Max: Wasteland is going to fill us in a bit more on the whole world. I love the fact that there was a bit of mystery to the whole thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭jay-me

Arghus wrote: »
    What? How is that possible?

The linear driving / killing not much else kind of came accross cheap! I didn't go in knowing about stunts etc and TBH the grannies annoyed me. The patting away of your one's hand and them both laughing.. Bleh! Though the women were cracking!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,199 ✭✭✭muppetkiller

I was surprised by the lack of gore. I have a funny feeling there's going to be a unrated cut at some stage.

Came out of the movie completely confused. I loved it :) but I think I hated it too :confused:.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,388 ✭✭✭PhiloCypher

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Only criticism I had of Hardy was his accent, I think he might just not be very good at them. Other than that he was grand.

Does he attempt an accent in this, if he did I didn't really notice, but yeh I totally agree he's just not very good at them. Whenever he tries anything other then his own accent or at the very least a british accent the sense that he is "acting" is palpable.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,187 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Does he attempt an accent in this, if he did I didn't really notice, but yeh I totally agree he's just not very good at them. Whenever he tries anything other then his own accent or at the very least a british accent sense that he is "acting" is palpable.

I didn't think it was his own at any rate, it sounded a bit like Bane at times to me and not at all Australian.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,822 ✭✭✭Alkers

I didn't notice to begin with but could completely hear him as Bane towards the end of the film

• Registered Users Posts: 60,434 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Just out of it and that was totally amazing balls to the wall non stop action joyride.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭e_e

Hell I didn't even mind Hardy's accent and would go as far as saying I liked it. It has a really intangible and distant quality that works well for the dystopian setting.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,209 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I'm going to go as far as saying I very much disliked Hardy's voice! I never was really concerned about Bale's 'Batman' voice in the Dark Knight films, but I felt about Hardy here what people complained about there - it really felt like somebody 'putting on' a gruff voice, to the point where it become distracting rather than even just ignorable.

What saves it, though, is how little he actually speaks in the general scheme of things. Otherwise he occupies the role well. It hasn't been mentioned much, but there were at least two 'nods' here, where Max and Furiosa communicated through expressive glaces alone, that said all that had to be said. I agree with the comments that the film benefited from a bare minimum of back story, and those glances were an extension of the admirable economy applied in certain aspects of the storytelling here - why waste time with an exchange of dialogue when a quick shot / reverse shot can take care of it in a more visual manner?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

If there is one thing that movie did not need it was more back story. Nothing better for ruining the mystique of a strange world than having every little detail needlessly explained.

ANY backstory on Max would have been better. There wasn't much point in the little girl flashbacks when we still had no idea at the end what it was about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

I thought this was awful. Went to see it today and left after an hour. Just wasn't arsed spending any more time on being bored. Pity; I was looking forward to it...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

ANY backstory on Max would have been better. There wasn't much point in the little girl flashbacks when we still had no idea at the end what it was about.

I thought it was just a reminder that his family was dead and he felt responsible. I think even if you hadn't seen the original the point was just to make clear that he was a haunted individual.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭ktulu123

I thought this was awful. Went to see it today and left after an hour. Just wasn't arsed spending any more time on being bored. Pity; I was looking forward to it...

I'm sorry, but how the f**k could you be bored watching that movie?? What is your idea of an exciting movie if you don't mind me asking?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,943 ✭✭✭✭titan18

That was great. Most fun I've had in the cinema since The Raid 2.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

ktulu123 wrote: »
    I'm sorry, but how the f**k could you be bored watching that movie?? What is your idea of an exciting movie if you don't mind me asking?

Fight.
    Car chase.
    Fight.
    Car chase.

No substance to it. Very flashy but nothing under the surface. It's not about needing excitement; it's about needing something, even vaguely, deeper than what was offered. I woulda loved this when I was 15, I'm sure. But it just felt a little juvenile. And boring. Very boring.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭e_e

Fight.
    Car chase.
    Fight.
    Car chase.

No substance to it. Very flashy but nothing under the surface. It's not about needing excitement; it's about needing something, even vaguely, deeper than what was offered. I woulda loved this when I was 15, I'm sure. But it just felt a little juvenile. And boring. Very boring.
    Check out that article I linked earlier, there's a good bit there especially in how it subverts the expectations of male action heroes. I found there to be a surprising amount of heart and thoughtfulness in the film tbh.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,187 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

There was a great deal of substance to it I thought, it had more narrative weight then plenty more serious films.

• Site Banned Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭BMMachine

Very flashy but nothing under the surface.

to put it bluntly, you weren't looking hard enough

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Faith+1

Apt name for that comment! :pac:

Shoulda had more faith! :cool:

The flashbacks were just to show that he was insane. Mad. Mad Max, as it were.

Do we really need to know every little detail of what happened to the girl? Do you need to know how she died, who was with her, what she had for breakfast? No we do not. We just need to know that Max is insane, haunted by events in his past that have made him the loner he is today, and the momentary flashbacks do exactly that.

Any further exposition about what happened is unnecessary, the film showed us everything we needed to know. Show, don't tell! Complaints like yours above are what leads to shite like Transformers where everything is info dumped to the viewer because they aren't trusted to read between the lines.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭Gwynplaine

Saw this last night. Brilliant film, non stop action. Might go see it again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,093 ✭✭✭thegreengoblin

The flashbacks were just to show that he was insane. Mad. Mad Max, as it were.

Do we really need to know every little detail of what happened to the girl? Do you need to know how she died, who was with her, what she had for breakfast? No we do not. We just need to know that Max is insane, haunted by events in his past that have made him the loner he is today, and the momentary flashbacks do exactly that.

Any further exposition about what happened is unnecessary, the film showed us everything we needed to know. Show, don't tell! Complaints like yours above are what leads to shite like Transformers where everything is info dumped to the viewer because they aren't trusted to read between the lines.

You're completely exaggerating here and missing the point. The very fact that the flashbacks were used tells us that something happened to this man that affected him very deeply. I don't see why people wouldn't want to know what happened. Those scenes naturally piques the viewer's interest. However, that doesn't automatically mean these viewers need a complete info dump Transformers-style, as you put it. Fairly snobby attitude you have there tbh.

But the lack of explanation certainly didn't come close to putting a downer on it for me. If, as George Miller says, there are more films to come then who knows, maybe one of them tells us what happened to Max before the events of Fury Road.

The very fact that the flashbacks were used tells us that something happened to this man that affected him very deeply.

Exactly. Thats all you need to know.

Besides, if you really wanted to know what happened to Max previously, well, thats what Mad Max 1 ,2 and 3 are for.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

You're completely exaggerating here and missing the point. The very fact that the flashbacks were used tells us that something happened to this man that affected him very deeply. I don't see why people wouldn't want to know what happened. Those scenes naturally piques the viewer's interest. However, that doesn't automatically mean these viewers need a complete info dump Transformers-style, as you put it. Fairly snobby attitude you have there tbh.

I get what you're saying but I disagree. I think it's partly this attitude which led to all the origins that we've had in recent times (I'm not blaming you personally). I liked that Max was fully formed with only tiny glimpses as to how he was formed. Personally, I didn't need or want anymore.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,093 ✭✭✭thegreengoblin

FunLover18 wrote: »
    I get what you're saying but I disagree. I think it's partly this attitude which led to all the origins that we've had in recent times (I'm not blaming you personally). I liked that Max was fully formed with only tiny glimpses as to how he was formed. Personally, I didn't need or want anymore.

And I get what you're saying! My point is that there were hints of a major event in Max's life and it's perfectly normal to be curious about it, that's all. I totally agree that it wasn't necessary to explain it in Fury Road but you'll find it's quite rare to do that without the intention of revisiting those flashbacks at some point in time, whether that be the next film or the one after.

I'm actually wondering if it could be explained in the prequel comics that I mentioned a few pages back. There's probably a good chance, especially as those comics are co-written by Miller. If so then great, it will be cool to find out more about this fantastic world that he has created.

I think it's brilliant the way we just jumped head first into the film and off we went on that mad journey. I hope other directors take note!

Advertisement