Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting started in mobile development

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Finally got started with the N900.

Wrote my first "Hello world" application today.

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭markmcg

what language you write the app in?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

C++ using the QT SDK.

i mainly develop in java mobile with lwuit. also done compact framework (C#) for windows mobile.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭lil_lisa

Just an FYI, this should be coming out soon, looks like a useful tool to get started with mobile development.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭johnnykilo

Hi Folks,

I'm currently a 4th year Multimedia student. As a 4th year project i'm thinking of developing an Android app. Just wondering if there are any Android developers out there with any advice? Some of the lecturer's were warning us about doing a mobile app as a project in general as there have been issues in the past with getting them to work properly. Have any of ye had significant issues with Android? Also as i'm going to be designing for a HTC Desire, will the HTC Sense UI further complicate matters, or does it just sit on top?

Sorry for the vagueness of this post, but we need to have a project proposal in by next week and i'm beginning to panic :( Also if anyone could point me in the way of any useful resources to get started i'd be vey grateful :) So far i've only downloaded and installed the Android SDK and Eclipse but i haven't started messing with it yet.

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭smackyB

johnnykilo wrote: »
    Hi Folks,

I'm currently a 4th year Multimedia student. As a 4th year project i'm thinking of developing an Android app. Just wondering if there are any Android developers out there with any advice? Some of the lecturer's were warning us about doing a mobile app as a project in general as there have been issues in the past with getting them to work properly. Have any of ye had significant issues with Android? Also as i'm going to be designing for a HTC Desire, will the HTC Sense UI further complicate matters, or does it just sit on top?

Sorry for the vagueness of this post, but we need to have a project proposal in by next week and i'm beginning to panic :( Also if anyone could point me in the way of any useful resources to get started i'd be vey grateful :) So far i've only downloaded and installed the Android SDK and Eclipse but i haven't started messing with it yet.

Thanks!

Hey, I also got into Android around the same time as you in College. We made a pretty simple (and terrible!) poker game but I learnt a hell of a lot and have been working with Android ever since. Have you done any Java programming before? If you have, you should find Android very easy.. Must reads are the official Android dev guide

http://developer.android.com/guide/index.html

and the developer life tutorials

http://developerlife.com/tutorials/?cat=41

I found very few significant issues working with Android, perhaps your lecturers were referring to other projects involving J2ME...

Oh and the Desire's HTC skin won't affect your app one bit. Happy coding!

I finished my degree this year and done a J2ME app for my final year project.
    Started to learn android development from the following site:

http://www.xtensivearts.com/topics/tutorials/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭johnnykilo

smackyB wrote: »
    Hey, I also got into Android around the same time as you in College. We made a pretty simple (and terrible!) poker game but I learnt a hell of a lot and have been working with Android ever since. Have you done any Java programming before? If you have, you should find Android very easy.. Must reads are the official Android dev guide

http://developer.android.com/guide/index.html

and the developer life tutorials

http://developerlife.com/tutorials/?cat=41

I found very few significant issues working with Android, perhaps your lecturers were referring to other projects involving J2ME...

Oh and the Desire's HTC skin won't affect your app one bit. Happy coding!

Thanks for the reply, yeah we've done 2 years of Java in which i was always top of the class. The only problem is we've barely touched the whole OO area of Java, and i'm pretty sure that i'll need to bone up on that. When i had a look at doing the SCJA it was like double-dutch because we didn't really cover a lot of the theory in college: a lot of it was totally above my head and i ended up not having time to work through it so i left it. Hopefully i'll have enough Java to get me through or else i'll have to get busy getting up to speed with Java. Anyway thanks again, now the hard work begins! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭TPD

Hey, 4th year computing student here, thinking of doing an Android app for my final project. Been doing OO Java since 1st year, and have done a semester or two of J2ME as well. Just been having a look at the android developer guide, seems easy enough to get my head around. I was wondering though, any recommendations for a phone to test on? It would need gps, other than that I don't think it would need to be too powerful. Cheers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭Joneser

TPD wrote: »
    Hey, 4th year computing student here, thinking of doing an Android app for my final project. Been doing OO Java since 1st year, and have done a semester or two of J2ME as well. Just been having a look at the android developer guide, seems easy enough to get my head around. I was wondering though, any recommendations for a phone to test on? It would need gps, other than that I don't think it would need to be too powerful. Cheers.

Hi there, I am currently developing an Android app and I'm a 4th year student too. Depending on your university they might have some phones lying around that can be used for development, so ask around or ask your Head of School and they might loan one out to you for a while. I'm in UCD so if you need any I know they will probably have a few available

• Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭TPD

Joneser wrote: »
    Hi there, I am currently developing an Android app and I'm a 4th year student too. Depending on your university they might have some phones lying around that can be used for development, so ask around or ask your Head of School and they might loan one out to you for a while. I'm in UCD so if you need any I know they will probably have a few available

Letterkenny IT, I think the best I'd be able to get my hands on would be a winmo 5 pda :P

Advertisement