Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PC World 20% off all Windows Vista Laptops and Desktops

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭....

free upgrade to win 7 ?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭Zonda999

.... wrote: »
    free upgrade to win 7 ?

Well if there was i dont think think they'd be on offer:)

If you know a student, you can get Windows HP for about 35€

See: http://www.microsoft.com/uk/education/studentoffer/

And this thread in the windows forum

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

Zonda999 wrote: »
    Well if there was i dont think think they'd be on offer:)

According to the Acer website that model is eligible for free upgrade.

http://www.acer.com/windows7upgrade/eligible.html

• Registered Users Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭Zonda999

kaizersoze wrote: »
    According to the Acer website that model is eligible for free upgrade.

http://www.acer.com/windows7upgrade/eligible.html

Thats odd then, why wouldnt PCWorld just upgrade it to win 7 and not have it on offer:P

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

Zonda999 wrote: »
    Thats odd then, why wouldnt PCWorld just upgrade it to win 7 and not have it on offer:P

They'd probably have to send them back to acer to do that.

Dell have several Vista models on their site with free Win7 upgrades.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 2,885 Mod ✭✭✭✭celticfc

Most Windows Vista machines bought since July 2009 (IIRC) qualify for a free Windows 7 upgrade via the manufacturers.

The copy of Vista on the PC/lappy has to be registered first and then you can apply for the free upgrade through the manufacturer. (P&P charges will apply though)

The likes of PC World can't just put Windows 7 on them.

TBF there's some real bargains to be had if you dont mind waiting to get the win 7 discs and upgrading.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,728 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

small print said it didn't apply to netbooks

was also a trade in deal on old working laptops for up to 100 depending on spec, you'd make more selling the old laptop on adverts though and I'm guessing they will just destroy the trade in rather than give it a new lease of life.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 2,885 Mod ✭✭✭✭celticfc

small print said it didn't apply to netbooks

was also a trade in deal on old working laptops for up to 100 depending on spec, you'd make more selling the old laptop on adverts though and I'm guessing they will just destroy the trade in rather than give it a new lease of life.

The netbooks are generally all Windows XP.

Trade-in applys only to Windows 7 machines bought, not Vista, so you can't get the benefit of 20% off and a trade-in. It's very unlikely you'd get the full €110 unless it's nearly new and very high spec'd.

Apparantly the trade-in computers are getting an upgrade and going to "emerging" countries. The max you will get in trade-in is €110.

• Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭floydmoon1

Was in there today and thinking of picking up something for the parents.
    Once it has Vista Home premium you can get the free windows 7 upgrade.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 288 ✭✭Publin

PC World doing an addition 20% off Vista laptops and desktops aswell as other discounts on them, got the laptop below for €400 reduced from over €600 with the 20% deal along with 2 other discounts on it. Majority of the laptops were Vista and had already been reduced twice before that, so some major bargains to be had. Crimbo pressie from the parents all sorted now.:D

http://www.pcworld.co.uk/martprd/store/pcw_page.jsp?BV_SessionID=@@@@2078518884.1256953527@@@@&BV_EngineID=ccddadeijlkejfjcflgceggdhhmdgmi.0&page=Product&fm=null&sm=null&tm=null&sku=805907&category_oid=

What PC World was this in? The one in Liffey Valley has this laptop for a "clearance" price of €480.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,963 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Publin wrote: »
    What PC World was this in? The one in Liffey Valley has this laptop for a "clearance" price of €480.

Was out in Blanch, I didn't get Norton with it so that could be the price with Nortan. BTW most of the acers are available to upgrade to Windows 7 for a €15 delivery charge, applied for it yesterday myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭marrm

Bought the wife an emachines e525 in PCW Airside for €279.99 - 3MB, 500GB HD, 15.6" screen etc - incredible price, better spec than same, more expensive machine in Harvey Normans next door. :):):)

Actually thought it was a misprint, or a bait & switch ("sorry, we w';re sold out of that one, here's a more expensive one"), but the deal was real. :p

Of course they tried to give me the hard sell - buy extra warranty for only €150, buy a bag, buy Norton Security, but I resisted - AVG Free will do me fine! :D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,396 ✭✭✭lindtee

marrm wrote: »
    Bought the wife an emachines e525 in PCW Airside for €279.99 - 3MB, 500GB HD, 15.6" screen etc - incredible price, better spec than same, more expensive machine in Harvey Normans next door. :):):)

Actually thought it was a misprint, or a bait & switch ("sorry, we w';re sold out of that one, here's a more expensive one"), but the deal was real. :p

Of course they tried to give me the hard sell - buy extra warranty for only €150, buy a bag, buy Norton Security, but I resisted - AVG Free will do me fine! :D:D:D

I'd very very interested if they had this in the Cork Store, do you think it was only in the store you bought from or nationwide? Would be perfect for my son for christmas:)

• Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭marrm

lindtee wrote: »
    I'd very very interested if they had this in the Cork Store, do you think it was only in the store you bought from or nationwide? Would be perfect for my son for christmas:)

advertised in the Irish Times yesterday, so it should be nationwide. But salesman said it (20% off, reducing price from €350 to €280) was only for this (20% off all Vista machines) weekend. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 17,963 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

For the few asking at the start, yes there is a free upgrade to Windows 7, which I just found out about.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,353 ✭✭✭coldfire1x

marrm wrote: »

Whats the processor like?

• Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭floydmoon1

Was in there today.Good offer.Remember if the unit has Vista Basic you wont get free Windows 7 upgrade.
    They were trying to sell me the insurance.
    I think he started at 180.He then gave me 20 % off.I said no.He then asked me to name my price for the insurance.I said 80.He brought it down to 100 but wouldnt go further.
    They really try to sell this stuff hard.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭HungryJoey

On sale until tomorrow lads so I was told. Emachines e525 Core Solo 2.2Ghz, 3GB DDR2, 500GB HDD, 15.6" glossy screen. €279! Can't go wrong at all.

eMachines are now made by acer too so they aren't any cheaper built than HP, Toshiba equivelants.. They just dont look as fancy :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭LightningBolt

If anybody can confirm that offer is on Monday could they post up. Thanks:)
    Can't get opening times for any of their stores either:mad: I'm guessing 6/7 latest?

Yeah on until tomorrow afaik, closing at 7. (it helps when you know someone ;) )

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Brimmy

If anybody can confirm that offer is on Monday could they post up. Thanks:)
    Can't get opening times for any of their stores either:mad: I'm guessing 6/7 latest?

I work in a PC World. On till 6pm tomorrow when the stores close :)

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,028 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

There were 31 of the e525 in stock in Waterford on friday evening, No idea how many they have now, but I know of atleast 5 people that I sent in to pick one of these up. @€;280 they are excellent value.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭donmeister

HungryJoey wrote: »
    On sale until tomorrow lads so I was told. Emachines e525 Core Solo 2.2Ghz, 3GB DDR2, 500GB HDD, 15.6" glossy screen. €279! Can't go wrong at all.

Are you 100% about the specs? Because if so that is one serious bargain!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭Santa Claus

Brimmy wrote: »
    I work in a PC World. On till 6pm tomorrow when the stores close :)

any Sony Vaios included in it Brimmy ?

donmeister wrote: »
    Are you 100% about the specs? Because if so that is one serious bargain!

100% ;)www.pcworld.co.uk can confirm.

7pm in blanch.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Brimmy

any Sony Vaios included in it Brimmy ?

There's a few in the store I'm in. Between around 550 to 750 after the 20% has been off. Can't remember the model numbers off the top of my head though and can't seem to see them on the website either but it's late and I'm half asleep so worth popping in and having a look yourself :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭....

Do pc world open at 9? I have my work placement at 9.30 and could just about make it there on time if they open at 9.

Thanks again Marrm, and to Hungryjoey who said the offer for the e-machine was continuing today:) Picked one up about an hour and a half ago in Mahon. Son will be over the moon this Christmas thanks to ye!! Great offer:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭quenching

My thanks too, got one of the eMachines e525 laptops for €279. Perfectly good machine unless you want to do serious gaming, no webcam but that was another €20 for an external USB one. Laptop was a great deal!

Advertisement