Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Customs Crackdown

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭ttm

Just got two letters from the revenue regarding this. Both items are about 20 euros and postage is around 6 euros.

How on earth can they charge duty & VAT on the postage costs? It's the item that I'm importing.

Also, the goods are both second hand, does that make any difference as Revenue doesn't state this.

S.

They are charging VAT on the over all cost of the item. So if you bought the same stuff in Ireland and paid VAT, somewhere along the line the price of the item (retail price) would include the costs the supplier would have incurred including any shipping.

But I can understand your point.

S/H? Makes no difference the item still has value, in fact second hand can be worse as the value is open to interpretation ;) and you could be charged VAT on what the revenue think the item is worth if they think the valuation is too low (correct me anyone if thats not right).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,002 ✭✭✭rabbitinlights

ttm wrote: »
    They are charging VAT on the over all cost of the item. So if you bought the same stuff in Ireland and paid VAT, somewhere along the line the price of the item (retail price) would include the costs the supplier would have incurred including any shipping.

But I can understand your point.

Got an email back from Mary at the Revenue and I'm not being charged as it's too low.

I totally understand that retail items in Ireland have delivery to the shop costs etc built in, but home delivery from the Irish retailer to us would normally be an extra on top of the retail price and would be taxed as a service.

Here the revenue are charging us 21% on the item and the service of delivery.

S.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Think of the loopholes you are trying to create. If second hand goods were exempt then everybody would simply mark them as "very good condition second hand goods". If shipping was exempt or a lower rate they would do the ebay seller trick, new car is €1, shipping & handling is €30,000.

I am not sure if couriers are classed as a service here, I remember reading an explanation in another thread before.

Advertisement