Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Rock'n'Roll Rant and Rave thread

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

I hope this doesn't seem like backseat modding....

But I really fail to see how this thread was necessary.
    Since when do threads have to be necessary? You'd love After Hours Bob! :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,552 ✭✭✭Bobalicious93

jumpguy wrote: »
    Since when do threads have to be necessary? You'd love After Hours Bob! :p

*shudders*

Oh god, not that place...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭sock puppet

I hope this doesn't seem like backseat modding....

But I really fail to see how this thread was necessary.

I fully support this thread if it means I never ever ever have to see another Cradle of Filth video posted in a normal thread again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,082 ✭✭✭Pygmalion

If cannibal corpse are scarier than these guys, please, don't post them!

*shivers*
    You don't even have to listen to them to find out, just look at theit album covers or the names of their songs/albums :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,082 ✭✭✭Pygmalion

Jay P wrote: »
    I don't get it, what is this thread actually for so? :confused: Are they not just the same thing?
    I thought the soundtrack thread was really just for posting videos or songs you like... That's all I've ever seen there (never really looked through it though)...

This thread is about how awesome rock and metal are compared to not-rock and not-metal the way I see it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,445 ✭✭✭Jako8

I think it's too soon for Cannibal Corpse.

I think you should try some Rise Against first. They are punk then you can gradually move into heavier stuff :cool:

Maybe a bit of Muse too.

Cannibal Corpse might be a bit scary for a newcomer :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

Jako8 wrote: »

Cannibal Corpse might be a bit scary for a newcomer :p

I think Circle Of Dead Children would have been a better starting point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

And a few classic rock bands. Listen and love:D

The Who

Baba O'Reilly (Teenage Wasteland)

My Generation

Pink Floyd
    Wish You Were here -

The Wall -

Rolling Stones

Satisfaction -

• Moderators Posts: 8,678 ✭✭✭D4RK ONION

Mushy wrote: »
    Re: Paramore....pop-rock maybe.

And we're talking bout rock n' roll here, should be no Cannibal Corpse discussion here:eek:

This thread is for the discussion of good rock music. I point you to my earlier post on the many genres of rock. Think of rock as the category and punk, classic rock, metal, etc. as the forums!
    Can I talk about how much I have come to dislike Muse? And how crap Coldplay are?! And how Pink Floyd, Bob Dylan and Tom Waits don't appear enough on the radio/tv?!!!!!!

Good :)

Also, The Band are hella awesome.

My feelings are amply summed up by both this gentleman's post and the one above me

Soccymonster, it's not really my thing, but I'd say you'd like AFI

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭norwegianwood

Guns n Roses maybe?

And Queen, you can like them even if you're not into rock!

Guns n Roses maybe?
    [youtube.]snip[/youtube]
    And Queen, you have to like them even if you're not into rock!

Fix'd ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,445 ✭✭✭Jako8

Tom Waits don't appear enough on the radio/tv?!!!!

You have no idea how much I agree with this statement.

Moar Tom Waits plz :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,944 ✭✭✭Jay P

I saw him in The Imaginarium of Dr. PArnasus last night, and he was brilliant. The role was made for him.

Now, I think I'll spread some music now!

Tom Waits will be first of course:

Small change, a fantastic song/poem with music:

Tom Waits is so much more than a singer, he's a storyteller.

Everything you can think of is true:

And my favourite song of all time comes from Pink Floyd, Comfortably Numb live from Pulse. The solo is just epic! :)

Also, love the sig, both parts! Tom Waits and Mastodon! Awesome!

Didnt think Tow Waits was great in Wristcutters, but then that film just oozes disappointment!

• Advertisement

And Queen, you can like them even if you're not into rock!
    D4RK ONION wrote: »
    Fix'd ;)

I'm gonna get blasted for this, but I never got the whole Queen thing.

I'm gonna get blasted for this, but I never got the whole Queen thing.

I genuinely dont like Queen, but in general, I tend to enjoy music that's a little more abrasive (There's obvious exceptions! but mainly)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,111 ✭✭✭Jesus Juice

The fcuk is this thread about!?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,914 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

The fcuk is this thread about!?

I had hoped that this thread would act as a vehicle for reasoned debate on the perception of rock music amongst young people. It was my intention that people argue their reasons for liking the genre of their choice, with perhaps a link or two to samples of said music. The merits of different genres could then be compared and contrasted constructively, as opposed to the usual style of labelling one broad type of music as "crap" or "rubbish".

The Soundtrack to Your Angst thread is, in my opinion, more suited to a casual posting of songs/videos as they come to mind. I would prefer that videos posted in this thread are done so with some appropriate contextualisation.

It's also a thread to stop the bickering about pop/emo/punk/rap/whatever being class/annoying/aaarrrgh/awesome/whatever in other threads.
    The usual rules about off-topic posting still apply, even to you Onion.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,111 ✭✭✭Jesus Juice

Oh!Well in that case...
    So many bands sound like this and look like this.
    Straightened Fringe.Check.
    Bright V-Neck t-shirt.Check.
    Snappy lyrics and band name.Check.
    Three Chord Progressions.Check.

God I hate rock music nowadays.New bands are so bad,seriously!

• Advertisement

An File wrote: »
    It's also a thread to stop the bickering about pop/emo/punk/rap/whatever being class/annoying/aaarrrgh/awesome/whatever in other threads.
    The usual rules about off-topic posting still apply, even to you Onion.
    You're worse than Gearoid, I HATE YOU! :P
    I <3 Poet Man

I think it's time to bring the rock music back to these green shores. So much to choose from. Let's start with the kings of Irish rock as far as I'm concerned.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,849 Mod ✭✭✭✭suitcasepink

Lol Soccy if your like me and not into that at all I found out now 72 Disc2 came up as pop rock on itunes :D:D They're not rock at all but its the nearest I have! I don't get the whole 'hard rock' I prefer songs that have a happy feel to them. 3/4 my ipod are pop and electronia/dance :P So I assume im in the minority on boards!

Genres in my itunes (I dont pay attention to genres anymore, but I used to be really picky about it).

Acid House
    Acoustic Rock
    Alternative Rock
    Big Beat
    Black Metal
    Blackened Death Metal
    Blues
    Breakcore
    Brit Pop (Sleep are apparently Brit Pop :S)
    Cabaret
    Classical
    Country
    Dance
    Dark Wave
    Death Metal
    Deathcore
    Downbeat
    Drum and Bass
    Dub Step
    Electro
    Electronic
    Emo
    Extreme Metal
    Folk
    God (PJ Gallagher, lol at whoever did that :D)
    Grindcire
    Grunge
    Hardrock
    Hardcore
    Hardcore Punk
    Heavy Metal
    Hip Hop
    House
    Indie
    Industrial
    J-pop
    J-rock
    Jazz
    Melodic Death Metal
    Metal
    Metalcore
    New Age
    New Wave
    Noise (Sonic Youth!)
    Noodlecore (Dream Theatre.......)
    Nu Metal
    Pop Punk
    Post Hardcore
    Post Metal
    Post Rock
    Post Punk
    Power Pop
    Prog
    Psychedelic Rock
    Punk
    Rock
    Shoegaze
    Slow Rock
    Sludge
    Symphonic Metal
    Techno
    Trash Metal
    Trance
    Unclassifiable
    Viking/Black Metal
    Lots of unknown (That I cant be arsed sorting!)

Fad wrote: »
    Genres in my itunes (I dont pay attention to genres anymore, but I used to be really picky about it).

Cabaret

My friend, you've got some explaining to do :pac:

Absolutely nothing wrong with a bit of cabaret sometimes Bob, open up your mind!

Deisegirl, as I've explained, you couldn't "not get" rock because you couldn't possibly have listened to all the different kinds!

My friend, you've got some explaining to do :pac:

It's what the Dresden Dolls came under, and I like the Dresden Dolls :)

Post Rock

What bands? I've gotten mad into Post Rock lately myself. ASIWYFA, Russian Circles, Maybeshewill, 65DaysOfStatic and C!ties are definitely my favourites.

The only thing I find is that it's a very ambiguous genre as Sigur Ros are put under the same label, even though they're very different, more ambient, where the bands I listed are a lot "noisier". I guess it's the same with any genre, I'm just surprised as "Post Rock" is more specific then something like "Metal" or whatever...

What bands? I've gotten mad into Post Rock lately myself. ASIWYFA, Russian Circles, Maybeshewill, 65DaysOfStatic and C!ties are definitely my favourites.

The only thing I find is that it's a very ambiguous genre as Sigur Ros are put under the same label, even though they're very different, more ambient, where the bands I listed are a lot "noisier". I guess it's the same with any genre, I'm just surprised as "Post Rock" is more specific then something like "Metal" or whatever...

Explosions in the Sky are good, so are Pelican. It'd be a genre I'd listen to in bed (Stoner Metal too).

I like a good bit of post metal, mainly Cult Of Luna, Neurosis and Isis.

D4RK ONION wrote: »
    Deisegirl, as I've explained, you couldn't "not get" rock because you couldn't possibly have listened to all the different kinds!

Okay i'll specify(sp). That link you posted at the start, jump? That was alright but it's not for me. Then that other thing Pygmalion posted.... It was just a loud of instruments and this gruting noise thing :\

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Stev_o

If your looking at the whole pop punk/rock sorta genre have a look at Relient K decent for that particular genre

• Advertisement

This is why wikipedia shouldn't be trusted.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Westlife

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭norwegianwood

The Raconteurs.....thanks for getting me into them jesus juice:)

Soccymonster;

Say Anything!

Alive With The Glory Of Love (Was in scrubs, so you might have heard in passing);

Baby Girl I'm A Blur;

The Church Channel (Feat. Hayley Williams........)

(Bonus song by Set Your Goals (Also Feat. Hayley Williams))

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,553 ✭✭✭soccymonster

Brand New are a good band actually. Luca is a class song :D. Lol!
    I'll have to check out these videos when i find a computer.

Hayley williams seems to be in the vids you posted fad so i'll defo have to check out those. Good thread for discovering new music actually :).

Hayley williams seems to be in the vids you posted fad so i'll defo have to check out those. Good thread for discovering new music actually :).

When Paramore are apparently the rock-iest band you listen to, I'm sure Hayley Williams would lure you in.....:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,553 ✭✭✭soccymonster

When Paramore are apparently the rock-iest band you listen to, I'm sure Hayley Williams would lure you in.....:)

yeah, 'course! :P
    Good thinking! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭sock puppet

Really? I don't think post rock is specific at all. What kind of sound would you associate with it?

Soccymonster;

Say Anything!

Alive With The Glory Of Love (Was in scrubs, so you might have heard in passing);

Like it. :pac:

• Advertisement

Well accordng to Cheryl Cole(X factor viewers will see what I mean tomorrow) some Katy Perry songs are rock, so that means more rock I have :\

Also found out Bowling For Soup are "alternative rock" and "pop punk" so they're kinda rock.. Absolutly love one their albums! :D

M.Bison is in no way fit to comment on what is rock and what is not. Katy Perry is NOT rock

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,914 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

This thread has served its purpose. From now on, post videos in the Soundtrack to Your Angst thread. Debate about musical tastes and genres can continue in Stev_o's new thread.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement