Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Any dealers buying used cars???

Options
  • 28-10-2009 2:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭

Trying to sell a 03 Mazda 6 for about 4 months now and have dropped the price 3 time and nada, nothing, not so much as a tyre kicker has looked at it. Does anyone know of a dealer who'll give a fair price?? I know they'll need to mark it up and sell it on, but I'm willing to take a hit of a few quid to get it sold!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭techdiver

I was at Rathdown Motors in Terenure on Saturday and they had a sign up saying that they are buying cars for cash.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭scubagit

Yeah, was talking to them this morning and they're generally aiming for cars in the 06-07 range. Cheers though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,102 ✭✭✭✭Drummerboy08

You shouldnt have too much of a problem selling your car tbh. It's cars like this that are selling at the minute.

Have you a link to your ad?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,124 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

If the ad is presented well and the car priced realistically then I think it should sell.

If a garage were to buy it from you they will offer you well below trade price for it as they have to service/repair it, valet it and then give a warranty with it when selling it on.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

If you're thinking of selling it to a dealer expect to take a massive hit on it. You're just not going to get a reasonable price for it at all.
    We might be able to give you pointers on your ad if you have any to post.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,464 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

scubagit wrote: »
    Trying to sell a 03 Mazda 6 for about 4 months now and have dropped the price 3 time and nada, nothing, not so much as a tyre kicker has looked at it. Does anyone know of a dealer who'll give a fair price?? I know they'll need to mark it up and sell it on, but I'm willing to take a hit of a few quid to get it sold!

put it on www.adverts.ie and www.donedeal.ie

any links to the car in question?

You shouldnt have too much of a problem selling your car tbh. It's cars like this that are selling at the minute.

Have you a link to your ad?

There you go.
    http://www.gumtree.ie/dublin/13/44524713.html

• Registered Users Posts: 9,536 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

Not listing the mileage and it being an import will put plenty of people off.....

edit: and mention the sunroof.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Seweryn

Not listing the mileage and it being an import will put plenty of people off.....

...and re-list the description, but turn off the Caps Lock. And put a bit more into description, service history, etc.
    Good Luck.

Don't know how I overlooked the mileage:confused:

Yeah it's an import but UK not Japan. No sunroof though.

Cheers for pointing that out!!

• Advertisement

Seweryn wrote: »
    ...and re-list the description, but turn off the Caps Lock. And put a bit more into description, service history, etc.
    Good Luck.

Just did that. Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,536 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

Don't know how I overlooked the mileage:confused:

Yeah it's an import but UK not Japan. No sunroof though.

Cheers for pointing that out!!

Thought I saw one! Could be some UK/Irl spec confusion too. Those alloys are standard on the Sport Touring model here, which comes with sunroof.

Those alloys were standard on all UK spec models, they were only standard on the Irish top spec Sport Touring model.

To be fair that 6 looks like a nice clean example for the year. Thing is though is that the end of the year is now approaching so it's value will drop again. I would drop the asking price to €4250 ono and accept as close to €4k as you can get.

PS. Not mentioning the mileage would make alot of people think that it was high and frighten them away. It is an Irish mentality to run away from anything with 100k miles or more as average Joe thinks a car will implode as soon as the odometer reads 100,000.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭squod

I have to ask, would you buy it? There is, it seems, any amount of petrol saloons out there. Alot of them in mint condition, service histories and being sold for buttons. Good luck with your search OP, but really if I was in your shoes. I'd go to auction.

squod wrote: »
    I have to ask, would you buy it? There is, it seems, any amount of petrol saloons out there. Alot of them in mint condition, service histories and being sold for buttons. Good luck with your search OP, but really if I was in your shoes. I'd go to auction.

I would only go to auction as a last resort as after the auction house fee and possibly low selling price you would be almost giving it away. I think even if the seller reduced the asking price to €3500 it would be more than he/she would come away with from the auction.

And I would also say that cars in good condition are alot harder to find than some of the trashed junk that is out there in this price bracket.

Well I've changed the ad to include the mileage. That was an oversight on my part. Also I have placed an ad on Adverts.ie so hopefully I might get some interest off there.
    It would kill me to have to take it to auction as it is a great car, so I'll see how the ads go for the next few weeks before I start bending over to take one for the team:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭jimogr

Why did you list it on adverts for €500 more than on gumtree?

jimogr wrote: »
    Why did you list it on adverts for €500 more than on gumtree?

Figured I was less likely to get any phone calls etc through gumtree since I've had little or no interest off there as of yet so I lowered the price to try and encourange some interest. €4500 is pretty much as low as I want to go.

Also, on Boards/Adverts any bidding etc has to be done on the site so I left some room for negotiation.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Seweryn

Also, on Boards/Adverts any bidding etc has to be done on the site so I left some room for negotiation.
    Did you advertise it on DoneDeal.ie? I would recommend to do so. Many of us have good experience with their service.

Seweryn wrote: »
    Did you advertise it on DoneDeal.ie? I would recommend to do so. Many of us have good experience with their service.

Just did that!!
    http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/1039361

Never used Done Deal before. Love the way you can pay through your phone bill.

Let the call/emails commence!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭JCDUB

Still no mileage that I could see on either ad.
    And your rational behind the different prices on the two sites is off the wall.
    GLWS

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,707 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

wrong colour

advertising at a higher price on adverts is crazy

OK, price is now €4750 on ALL ads (not a sniff from gumtree since Sept anyway) and have added the mileage to the Done Deal ad. It was always on the Adverts ad.

Cheers for the advice guys, hopefully I'll get a few serious enquiries.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭junkyard

I'll buy anything as long as the price is right, P.M. me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭junkyard

Yeah but the thing is the car's only worth 3-3.5k tops in todays market and that's retail.

See I think your problem is that your selling price expectation is too high. Here is a 03 with similar mileage from a dealer asking only €200 more than you:
    http://www.driving.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=200943195565394

Now he is not going to actually sell that car at that asking price, he will probably sell it for around €4500 tops with no trade in. But he offers a warranty, service and piece of mind to a buyer, something that you as a private seller simply cannot.

Now your car does look alot cleaner and higher spec than that example but somebody is very unlikely to pay over the odds for that. So you need to attract a buyer away from going to a garage, by selling below their price so that the money saved by the buyer will offset the additonal risk attached to a private sale. I think you need to be asking €3995 for it, remember in 2 months time it is 7 years old and will not be worth even that if you are still stuck with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

OK, price is now €4750 on ALL ads (not a sniff from gumtree since Sept anyway) and have added the mileage to the Done Deal ad. It was always on the Adverts ad.

Cheers for the advice guys, hopefully I'll get a few serious enquiries.

If your car is online since September and it's now the end of October and you didn't get any calls, you're over priced.

I'd agree with the lads, you need to knock a grand off your price.

You might feel it's worth hanging on for someone with €4,500 in their pocket to come along and give you a call, but the reality is that your car is worth less now than it was in September, and it'll be worth less again in November.

If you want to sell it, you need to price it right.

Hmmmmm Food for thought alright. Might sleep on it over the weekend and possibly lower the price by a few quid.
    Can't really take less tha 4 for it though:(

This is a pain in the arse!!!! Hate trying to sell cars.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭Toyota_Avensis

At least advertise it as ONO so potential buyers know that there is room for negotiation...
    Also, in your advert, you have mentioned an Arch with Rust Damage, don't be surprized of an interested buyer uses that to work in his favour in nogotiation, because he will.

Advertisement