Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DeVore... you're in the well!

Options
2»

Comments

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 5,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Maximilian

Ever miss the old Quake.ie days?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,983 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Are there any plans of a rescue from this well?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,062 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

DeVore wrote: »
    Super Nes or Megadrive?

Tough one, The SNES I think.

And to think, I actually used to respect you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭A-Trak

After witnessing the awesomeness that was the SFIV tournament at Lanparty, would you be tempted to become a "New challenger," and take up the game?

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

You were easily top 5 in Clan Arena . I would have picked you over Koopa when it came to CA.

Do you ever think you could get back to your best in Clan Arena ?
    Koopa never really was much for teamplay :)

I dont think my central nervous system is capable of reaching that level of response these days. I'm not being funny, I mean Quake pushed you to the limits of response times, I relied more on wits and tactics then raw animal aim and twitch-response even then. At nearly 40... no, its a young mans game. I would however like to get back into playing it occasionally... just not the 7-days-a-week we had before!

DeV.

• Advertisement
  • Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Zillahs's Questions:
    Do you enjoy Zero Punctuation?

Yes, though I havent seen much of it. I do like his take on things though.

Did you like the ending in Call of Duty 4?

I dont think I finished it.

Have you ever played Chrono Trigger, and if so, would you agree that it is an example of how great game design can make a game wonderful regardless of the technology behind it?

I havent played it, but I would agree strongly with that sentiment. Good games are good for a reason. The implementation of them may enhance the experience but fundamentally they have to be good games at heart. You cant polish a turd.

Have you ever been asked for an autograph because of your role here on boards?

Hahaha... No. But I have been recognised a few times and its kinda embarrassing when it happens. I'm not a hermit but I'm not keen on using boards to build my ego. I've been asked for my autograph for Psychobabble, which was a very successful games fanzine I wrote in the early 90s.
    I was recognised by the head of marketing of Eircom when in a meeting with another client... that was a touch awkward.

Would you agree that there is something inherently wrong with sports based computer games, in the same way than an old person using a mobile phone looks wrong?

LOL... I know what you mean... I dont think so but I do think there is something inherently wrong with Guitar Hero type games. I mean, yes its a game and yes its fun but really... go learn the guitar, dont take shortcuts.
    I dont play many sports sims... though I was ADDICTED to SSX Tricky for a while because I am/was an avid snowboarder.

DeV.

Maximilian wrote: »
    Ever miss the old Quake.ie days?
    Yeah, absolutely. We were pioneering things. We all liked to think there were huge rivalrys and that we hated each other but the truth was, we were out on the fringes doing our own thing and no matter how much you thought XYZ was a plonker, he was still a quaker. That stood for something.

We had to steal hardware and sneak servers into Crown Alley (Eircoms hosting centre at the time), rob monitors and go rounds to peoples houses to play on ISDN for clan matches... it was wonderfully chaotic and wild west like. Yeah, I do miss those days.

DeV.

Are there any plans of a rescue from this well?
    God I hope so... its damp down here , and vaguely smells of Kinetic :p

DeV.

A-Trak wrote: »
    After witnessing the awesomeness that was the SFIV tournament at Lanparty, would you be tempted to become a "New challenger," and take up the game?
    You young pups!! I was playing Blanka while half of you were still swimming around in your dad's jocks :p

Yeah, I really liked the buzz you guys had going, it was a really fun atmosphere and the game looks pretty awesome... I think I'll pick it up and bash Dav around a bit :p

I used to play Blanka in the early 1990's when the first coin op machines came out. We'd play winner-stays-on and you could get a good few games for a single coin!
    I could well be tempted to get back into it!

DeV.

• Moderators Posts: 8,678 ✭✭✭D4RK ONION

Would you agree that there is something inherently wrong with sports based computer games, in the same way than an old person using a mobile phone looks wrong?

LOL... I know what you mean... I dont think so but I do think there is something inherently wrong with Guitar Hero type games. I mean, yes its a game and yes its fun but really... go learn the guitar, dont take shortcuts.
    Not that line, anything but that line!
    :eek::eek:
    I was just coming in to ask your opinion on GH/RB games. This saddens me. Would you not agree that anything that inspires young people to listen to new kinds of music or take up musical instruments can only be a good thing?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 82,249 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Its true. Id still be listening to my brothers handmedown emo without GH edumatation

Yes, its true and its a good thing if it inspires them. I also think they can be good fun games in their own right, so I dont despise people who play them or anything, I dont look down my nose at them. I just think they should not stop there and progress on and learn the real guitar/drums/whatever.

DeV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

Yes, its true and its a good thing if it inspires them. I also think they can be good fun games in their own right, so I dont despise people who play them or anything, I dont look down my nose at them. I just think they should not stop there and progress on and learn the real guitar/drums/whatever.

DeV.

So since you like forza, are you going to learn how to drive? :)

Kinetic^ wrote: »
    So since you like forza, are you going to learn how to drive? :)
    No. People often ask me that in fact because I'm a big Top Gear fan too... but the reality is that driving in Dublin means sitting in an M50 queue at least a mile long in a Renault. What I like is hooring around in a Ford GT. There is no comparison!

DeV.

Overheal's questions

Most memorable moment in gaming?

Winning the 4 nations. Its such a long story I'll tell it when I have time. But yeah, for many reasons that would stick out in my mind.

If you were a warhammer army which one would you be (fantasy/40k)

I have two WH armies! I played Dwarves in Fantasy and Tyranids in 40k. Tyranids need to be nerfed :) Two flying hive queens... madness. Gotta love them though.

I think I would be Dwarves. I'm quite stubborn at times.

Have you ever been too scared to play a title (Doom/Half Life/Res Evil)

I used to play Doom religiously. I'd put it on and play the Terminator sound track while playing. Remember no one had really seen anything like Doom when it came out. There was an area with strobing lights and an imp in a maze and with the DADOOM DADOOM DADOOM of the Terminator music, it was terrifying. I was addicted!
    Dead Space has been giving me goosebumps and Fear was also pretty scary but not as bad.

Your preferred Dice and Paper RPG?

Love Cthulhu. Also a big fan of Chill but very few people know it or play it.

Favorite TCG of the last 15 years?

I still have about 3k Magic the Gathering cards... It was a great game but they ruined it with the million expansions.

DeV.

RopeDrink's Questions:

Q1: Out of sheer curiosity, how would you feel if I had asked the next batch of Questions while calling you by your first name rather than your Username whilst on the site, thinking it was 'ok' because we had met before - In saying that, as big a part of your life as Boards.ie is, do you feel you really need to put up a boundry between that and the 'Outside' or do you let it all flow together (considering it's also a sort of job, if you will)?

I wouldnt feel weird myself if you called me Tom. But it would seem weird because fewer people would understand you were referring to me.
    Mostly I let it all flow together. I'm very protective of my family and they wouldnt recognise the name DeVore but now my nephews and nieces are growing up and I am beginning to dread the day they start asking questions about Boards and "what uncle Tom does for a living". My eldest niece (and godchild) already told me I was "dead weird". :)

Q2: Didn't take you for a WoW player which is a bit of a suprise - Have you been with it long and, if so, are you one of the many people out there who believe they're watering it down too much from the older, harder style of past WoW? Failing that, did you fall into the WoW trap due to past ties with old Warcraft (Beit Comp-Games or Non-Comp RPG Games of it) or just tried it out as it was a big, shiny, popular MMO?

I have been playing MMORPGs for a good while now. I played EQ back in the day and got addicted. I have two level 70 toons in WoW but the PvP element seemed to be taking over and the retard level in pickup groups was just too high. I quit when I teamed up with a bunch of randomers as a healer and the idiot Shaman overpulled in a fight. I managed to save their asses but then bollicked him out of it for overpulling aggro and he said "whats aggro" and I pretty much never went back. When you can get to 70 without knowing what aggro is, they've made the game too simple.

Q3: I got into games primarily out of love of making them or tinkering/editing them rather than playing them - Do you ever consider Game Editing or Game Design or stick primarily to just Gaming instead?

I tinker with games design, particularly the Board variety. I think too many games now are like their film cousins... all big budget and little substance. No one wants to try anything different because so much cash is at stake. Thats a pity. Its almost impossible for independants to make games these days... and if they do take a chance, they dont have the funds to recover from a bad choice, so the only people who CAN take risks are the big boys.... and sure, why try and create a Braid when you can knock out another CoD or BF title and be assured of millions while following a well proven formula.

DeV.

We love that sort of stuff Ropey. I've often thought a board game of running a bulletin board site would make a fun game... trying to juggle users, moderators, admins, cash for servers etc while avoiding being sued, angry parents, maniacal users and hostile hackers!

Until the SSF is over though, I couldnt help, I'm up my own arse busy for the next 3 months but yeah, that sort of thing is always a giggle.

DeV.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Drakar

Not sure if you've escaped yet but anyway! ...

What do you think of how game social communities have changed?
    I remember playing Quake and QW back in the day, and even though I wasnt part of any of the clans, the same people were always on and they seemed to have good banter. Now, (mainly because of the size of game communities for new titles Id imagine), there are so many servers and so many players, its unusual to be playing with the same people, and there also seems to be a social disconnect between the players perhaps because the relationships are more transient (teabagging? seriously).

I suppose alot of the modern MMOs run into a part of this community splitting problem with the server/sharding due to the playerbase size. For example even though I played WoW, any players I might meet from my own communities (eg through work, or other games etc) are extremely unlikely to be on the same server/shard. I think we've seen this with a number of the online games, were efforts were made to start boards.ie groups, but players always end up on different servers as they try to match up with other friend groups.

Solution is we need games to be less popular obviously!

I'm not sure thats a question but yes, I agree.

QW players were united by their love of the game and the fact that they were doing something that was so weird and unheard of that they had to explain the technology before they could explain what they were doing with it to anyone who wasnt a Quaker. Now the barrier to entry is so low anyone can do it and you feel no commaradrie with other players.

I play online less now then before and thats a pity, I think QW may have been a moment in the sun. If not that, then it is at least a local maximum while people discover and improve ways to manage and control the communities. Much like what I'm trying to do with Boards in many ways...

DeV.

Advertisement