Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Micro Media Player -£29.99 Ebuyer DOTD

Options
  • 25-10-2009 9:55am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 254 ✭✭chilli_pepper

P0167205_C0000228_P0000000.jpg

With the Cyclone Micro Player Adaptor you can just plug and play with USB storage devices and play your favorite media files directly to a TV via HDMI or composite port. The player adaptor also has a card reader which supports SD/MS/MMC and SDHC cards.
    Features

* Plug and Play support for USB storage and MMC/SD/MS/SDHC device
    * Upscale playback of standard media files to 1080p resolution.
    * Fast forward, rewind, zoom, pause, and repeat functions.
    * USB support for Enclosures, Card readers and Flash drives.
    * USB storage file system supports FAT32/NTFS.
    * Card memory storage file system supports FAT/FAT32.
    * Upscale resolution to 480p/576p, 720p, 1080i, 1080p via HDMI interface.
    * Standard video output 480i/576i via composite interface
    * Video format support: MPEG1/2/4(MPG, VOB, AVI), DivX(avi), XviD(avi), resolution up to 720 x 480 30fps / 720 x 576 25fps.
    * Photo format support: JPEG, GIF and BMP.
    * Audio format support: MP3, WMA and OGG.
    * Other format support: ISO (image format).

Link here

Found it cheaper here :

£24.99 on Amazon
    £21.66 from svp.co.uk

Comments

• Looks a handy little thing! Checked eBay and you can get it including shipping from a top rated seller for less!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭coldfire1x

Looks interesting. Anyone has one of these?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭majiktripp

Ordered from an eBay seller, thanks for the heads up , was looking for something like this to match new HD TV! Cheers!

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭gramlab

Ordered something similar for around the same price from pixmania a while back. Very portable and plays almost everything.

And a big plus (compared to a combined media player and hard drive I had before) is that if it goes wrong you are not much out of pocket and dont have to buy a new hard drive.

• Registered Users Posts: 675 ✭✭✭webels

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,280 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Looks like the Western Digital Media Player- has a baby brother!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭pauly3

Damn this site anyhow, more stuff to buy!

Don't buy the £24.99 one on Amazon.co.uk, they are charging £14 for shipping to Ireland! Go for the £22.95 option, only £5.00 shipping to Ireland, bringing total to £27.95 or about €31.00.

Link: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sumvision-Cyclone-Micro-Upscaling-Player/dp/B002BZCE2Y

There is an interesting YouTube video on it here:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zz4WLSOyAB0

This device would be very handy for bringing to your mate's house with your movies on a USB key, or microSDHC card reader like this:

Link: http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.6108

or this: http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.25557

I don't use my DVD player anymore. Since I got the WDTV a few months back, thanks to Bargain Alerts again, I just play my movies from the above key with an 8GB microSDHC card in it. I backup my DVDs and Blu-Ray discs to my hard drive (they compress nicely to 1GB for DVDs and 2-4GB for Blu-Rays) and whichever movie I choose to watch I just copy it across to the key as needed.

The days of optical discs are very numbered, including Blu-Ray methinks :)

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭beecee

Quick and probably stupid question...

Can you connect this directly to a laptop (via USB) to play movies/music etc?

beecee wrote: »

No.
    It outputs a video signal- unless your laptop is capable of accepting a video input, it wouldn't work.

Why bother in any case- all this does is decode video files to a raw video feed- your laptop will do this in any event. Simply plug the USB key you propose to use with this device into a USB port on your laptop- and off you go......?

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Bill-e

You can play ur movies and music on ur laptop with out this device. this device is for palying you dowmnloaded movies and stuff on a TV

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭DavyD_83

Hi, possibly a stupid question again. But would this work with larger hard drives (1TB or 320GB) as well as with memory sticks and the like?

Currently using my laptop with hard drive to play through the TV, but would be handier if I could cut out the need for the laptop.

DavyD_83 wrote: »
    Hi, possibly a stupid question again. But would this work with larger hard drives (1TB or 320GB) as well as with memory sticks and the like?

Currently using my laptop with hard drive to play through the TV, but would be handier if I could cut out the need for the laptop.

I've a 500Gb external harddrive working on a product that uses the same chipset as this.

Its not a good idea to use a massive hard-drive- the menu system gets slugish and it takes forever to navigate through lists of folders and files. Its far better to use a small memory stick- with few files on it (in addition- this will hostpower a memory stick- whereas anything larger- including some of the small hard-drives that are allegedly hostpowered, in practice need additional power when being used on a device such as this).

• Registered Users Posts: 696 ✭✭✭dazzday

webels wrote: »

Just something i saw there:

"just so you know this is basically the sumvision Phoenix DVD Player (standard DIVX/DVD Player) with HDMI output - USB/SD input Just without the Optical drive smile.gif "

Looking into getting the folks a new dvd player as it is, and the ability to play of an external HDD would be a great bonus. And at £30, cant go wrong.
    Any thoughts on that? Or are there any better alternatives out there?

dazzday wrote: »
    Just something i saw there:

"just so you know this is basically the sumvision Phoenix DVD Player (standard DIVX/DVD Player) with HDMI output - USB/SD input Just without the Optical drive smile.gif "

Looking into getting the folks a new dvd player as it is, and the ability to play of an external HDD would be a great bonus. And at £30, cant go wrong.
    Any thoughts on that? Or are there any better alternatives out there?

Playback seems very hit and miss from the feedback on the AVforums thread. The WesternDigital player handles MKV and other file types fine.

If you were buying your folk a new DVD player- Philips have several reasonably priced ones- with USB ports, that play the whole gamut of file types.......

From reading the AVForums thread- I'd be inclined to stay clear of this device- but that said, I have the Hisense one here (along with the Western Digital) and it plays most things I throw at it.......? I dunno......

smccarrick wrote: »
    No.
    It outputs a video signal- unless your laptop is capable of accepting a video input, it wouldn't work.

Why bother in any case- all this does is decode video files to a raw video feed- your laptop will do this in any event. Simply plug the USB key you propose to use with this device into a USB port on your laptop- and off you go......?

Sorry... I phrased my question badly. I know I can watch stuff directly on my laptop. I currently don't have any cable (VGA to Component or whatever) for hooking my laptop up to TV. I wondered if this would be able to read my laptop's harddrive via the USB to play video off my laptop on my TV... I have a Freecom HardDrive Mediaplayer, but it doesn't work with higher res videos so I could use this for those I guess?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭nxbyveromdwjpg

Good question, can this thing do that?

This device will *not* read your laptop hard-drive, because it does not present itself as a 'removable device'. Spend a tenner (or whatever) and get a memory stick- and copy over in small quantities the files that you want to watch- this will then play them.

That makes sense. I suppose even if it could read it, it would be prohibitively slow!

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭gonzo1

pauly3 wrote: »

Don't buy the £24.99 one on Amazon.co.uk, they are charging £14 for shipping to Ireland! Go for the £22.95 option, only £5.00 shipping to Ireland, bringing total to £27.95 or about €31.00.

Link: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sumvision-Cyclone-Micro-Upscaling-Player/dp/B002BZCE2Y

There is an interesting YouTube video on it here:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zz4WLSOyAB0

This device would be very handy for bringing to your mate's house with your movies on a USB key, or microSDHC card reader like this:

Link: http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.6108

or this: http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.25557

I don't use my DVD player anymore. Since I got the WDTV a few months back, thanks to Bargain Alerts again, I just play my movies from the above key with an 8GB microSDHC card in it. I backup my DVDs and Blu-Ray discs to my hard drive (they compress nicely to 1GB for DVDs and 2-4GB for Blu-Rays) and whichever movie I choose to watch I just copy it across to the key as needed.

The days of optical discs are very numbered, including Blu-Ray methinks :)
    Anyone know of any good downloadable software for compressing DVD's or converting DVD's to DIV-x Format, etc? thanks

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 20,862 Mod ✭✭✭✭inforfun

gonzo1 wrote: »
    Anyone know of any good downloadable software for compressing DVD's or converting DVD's to DIV-x Format, etc? thanks

This one converts to anyting from anything

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭zod

gonzo1 wrote: »
    http://www.pocketdivxencoder.net/EN_index.htm

• Moderators Posts: 12,371 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

Where are ye seeing it on ebay for cheaper? All I can see are China ones and UK ones which want £18 postage!

• Where are ye seeing it on ebay for cheaper? All I can see are China ones and UK ones which want £18 postage!

It was there from a top rated seller but seems to be gone now :(

Same here... the china one has free shipping and works out about €25... not sure if I'd trust it though.

As for Amazon, comes out at €40+ or €52+ with shipping depending which seller.

and eBuyer and SVP don't ship outside of UK....

BAH!?! Or am I missing something?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,754 ✭✭✭Bawnmore

How reliable will China seller be? Has anyone experience with this? Feedback is very good for seller so i presume not a huge chance of a copied product being sent!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 254 ✭✭chilli_pepper

Same here... the china one has free shipping and works out about €25... not sure if I'd trust it though.

As for Amazon, comes out at €40+ or €52+ with shipping depending which seller.

and eBuyer and SVP don't ship outside of UK....

BAH!?! Or am I missing something?

Bigpockets.co.uk also have them , I ordered mine on Sunday and it was delivered yesterday. Pretty neat device - Very happy with it. SVP definitely ship here as do ebuyer (you need to use a postal code
    of REP123 and either google checkout or Paypal)

• Moderators Posts: 12,371 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

Big pockets arnt cheap for postage! £14

Found this seller on ebay for £23 and £9 postage. The best ive seen so far.... yes?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭majiktripp

Savage piece of kit, g/f watching a downloaded Grey's Anatomy now on it on the new 32" tv, works a treat! Free's the laptop up for me too :) I bought mine from a UK eBay seller, was selling for 28.95 sterling and 3.95 p&p but he has since raised his price considerably pricing himself out of the running! I do highly recommend the unit though so far!

• majiktripp wrote: »
    Savage piece of kit, g/f watching a downloaded Grey's Anatomy now on it on the new 32" tv, works a treat! Free's the laptop up for me too :) I bought mine from a UK eBay seller, was selling for 28.95 sterling and 3.95 p&p but he has since raised his price considerably pricing himself out of the running! I do highly recommend the unit though so far!

majiktripp you ordered it on the 25th and you have it already!!? ?!? :eek: When I order stuff from eBay UK it usually takes a week to get to me. And that was before the postal strikes :D I'm currently waiting on three items from the UK. But I digress. When I first checked there was a seller offering it for £28.99 including shipping. Don't know what happened to him though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭nxbyveromdwjpg

pauly3 wrote: »

Unless im missing something, the 22.90 option (bigboxproducts or something) doesnt seem to ship to Ireland at all. The other one comes to £34 or so.

Reckon ebay is the best deal at the moment.

Advertisement