Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Fender-bender: Who is at fault?

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,445 ✭✭✭Absurdum

boomerang wrote: »
    in fact I think the speed limit there is 60kph at the moment?

I think it's 100 km/h, it changes to 60 km/h just after that exit

Also, if someone is reluctant to give their details, I'd smell a rat immediately (no insurance or licence perhaps). Not an accusation, just a hunch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭Zube

ART6 wrote: »
    If the OP was in the left lane with a clear road ahead of him, but the other two lanes were at a near standstill, then the OP, planning to take the next exit, had every right to continue within the speed limit.

You might think that, and that's the way most of us drive, but it's not what the rules say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 495 ✭✭HydeRoad

I wouldn't trust the insurance companies an inch in these cases. I work for a bus company, where there have been numerous tips and scrapes over the years. Often the insurance claim will go against the 'innocent' party, as insurance companies play a game of 'you scratch my back, I'll scratch yours.' Insurance companies come to cosy little agreements among themselves to pay out wherever it is most convenient to each other, and to hell with whoever was actually liable. It has happened, and continues to happen.

Speaking of which, on Wednesday I was driving a fully loaded double decker on the N4 in sopping wet weather. The road was greasy and the rain was spilling hard. In my mirror I see a Garda Transit coming fast in the lane outside of me, blues and twos flashing. The car in front of it, a small hatchback needless to say, panicked, and pulled into my lane DIRECTLY under the nose of my bus, I mean there was barely three feet between us. Then of course, with just three feet between us, he jammed on his brakes, as he had been travelling much faster.

Here I am, in a fully loaded double decker, full of children on a school trip, on a greasy road, in rotten conditions, with a pr1ck in a car pulling across three feet in front of my bumper, and jamming on! There was plenty of room in front for him to ease in! A bus simply cannot stop so fast on a wet surface, even from 55kph, which is all I could manage. Not to mention all the kids heads bobbing as I hit my own brakes! The language that crossed my lips was priceless!

Some people... Yadda yadda...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,679 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

Zube wrote: »
    You might think that, and that's the way most of us drive, but it's not what the rules say.

The very inside lane at that stretch of the M50 is deliniated as a slip road for Blanchardstown. Whether or not that classes it as part of the main carriageway, or seperate I wouldn't be 100% sure. If it's not part of the main carriageway (and that's how I treat those lanes) then you wouldn't have to be going slower than traffic on your right.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

So the driver in the free inside lane, should stop, or slow to match the speed of the traffic in the right lane? Christ we'd never get anywhere.

"Traffic in both lanes is moving slowly and traffic in the left-hand lane is moving more quickly than the traffic in the right-hand lane."

To me it depends on your definition of slowly, and as usual the rules are far from straightforward.

• Advertisement

whiterebel wrote: »
    To me it depends on your definition of slowly, and as usual the rules are far from straightforward.

50 mph in a 100 kph zone is not "slowly" in anyones book.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

50 mph in a 100 kph zone is not "slowly" in anyones book.

80kph in a 100kph zone is moving more slowly than the limit allows, so in most peoples book could be construed as slowly.

whiterebel wrote: »
    80kph in a 100kph zone is moving more slowly than the limit allows, so in most peoples book could be construed as slowly.

So "legal" = "slowly"?

Good luck with that in court.

So "legal" = "slowly"?

Good luck with that in court.

20% under legal. Yep.

Advertisement