Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What are the Real differences between consoles?

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,102 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

My PS2 still gets a lot of use. I wish the xbox had backwards compatibility for panzer dragoon saga because it's the only game I keep the big ****er for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

In today's terms, the Wii has the weakest hardware. This was on the back of a conscious decision by Nintendo to target a customer base not typically associated with gaming.

Xbox360 comes next, however this is made up for by the ease of development and that's the primary reason it has such a good lineup of games. There are plenty of titles that started out development with the PS3 as the lead platform, only for complications with developing for the Cell to result in the Xbox version being the first to market.

Even with the PS3 slim being heavily pushed, I don't ever see the PS3 becoming profitable. The difficulty in developing for it cannot be underestimated. Simple instructions like casts are cannot be invoked without compromising performance. Even GPGPU is easier in comparison.

long term we're probably going to see a shift back to the PC eventually. I remember it reported a few months ago (on the BBC site if anyone wants to go digging) that the PC gaming sector was the only sector world wide to see an increase in profits over the past couple of years. Consoles are simply becoming too expensive to develop for. And seeing as everyone under the sun has access to a PC these days it makes more economic sense. You don't have to pay Sony/Microsoft ridiculous sums for a dev kit. You don't have to submit your product to their quality control sh*te. You don't have to spend years adapting to the latest platform and you don't have to pay royalties.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,241 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Feck.

Google 360 arcade. Its gonna get sold this weekend for effectively 50% off.

At that point I have to pause and ask myself, is this a good idea or are they desperate to push units. Probably the latter. I cant think of any games that really beg playing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

What I don't understand is the Wii. I mean the Ps2 had better graphics, better games and better gadgets and toys. How is it selling so well?

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    What I don't understand is the Wii. I mean the Ps2 had better graphics, better games and better gadgets and toys. How is it selling so well?

As I said, Nintendo made a conscious decision to target new entrants to the market, whereas Microsoft and Sony were more concerned about the hardcore gamer market initially (thinking they'd just build on previous success). Up until the Wii, the console market actually hadn't grown that much (since the early 90s). Sony and Microsoft had become so obsessed with doing one over each other this generation that they didn't notice Nintendo coming along and going for all the people they hadn't paid attention to. Casual gamers, young kids, families mainly. Heck my oul fellah, who's probably never played a game in his life, considered getting one.

If you look at the number of game titles sold though, Nintendo aren't actually doing that great. Wii Sports being bundled skews figures, and generally people only buy a couple of games for it and that's that. I think 6 is the average, vs 10-13? (can't remember exactly) with the Xbox 360. So life's hard for the Wii game developers and publishers, but Nintendo are making enough selling units so it doesn't bother them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    My PS2 still gets a lot of use. I wish the xbox had backwards compatibility for panzer dragoon saga because it's the only game I keep the big ****er for.

well in all fairness Retro, you're hardly joe soap gamer :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,102 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Wii has much better graphics than the PS2 when developers can be bothered. It's an overclocked Gamecube and the gamecube wiped the floor with the PS2 graphically.

As for the PS2 getting a lot of play, I don't see why it shouldn't be. It's got a massive catalogue of amazing games that I still haven't gotten through and most are better than the crap that I end up playing on current gen machines like Assassins Creed.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

Wii has much better graphics than the PS2 when developers can be bothered. It's an overclocked Gamecube and the gamecube wiped the floor with the PS2 graphically.

As for the PS2 getting a lot of play, I don't see why it shouldn't be. It's got a massive catalogue of amazing games that I still haven't gotten through and most are better than the crap that I end up playing on current gen machines like Assassins Creed.
    hav you tried bioshock? thats an amazing game. forza 3 is another.

(sorry for being off topic)

back on though, i dont believe in the "i have a ps2 so ill get a ps3" also the backwards compatibility selling point either.

i have a ps2 and i went to xbox360. i dont care for backwards compatibility either. if i want to play a ps2 game, its right there.

PS3 backward compatibility is also no longer a feature on current production models.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

PogMoThoin wrote: »

For every proper gamer there's about 1000 other people who see the wii and think that's what gaming is. 1 of the 1000 buys it and then invites Fiachra & Lorcan over to play wii tennis and that's another sale because like, they want to be gamers too.

My non gaming gf bought one recently, for wii fit but she does use it to be fair. Other then that she has a DS that's seen less action then Michael Owen did at Newcastle. Real gamers don't buy them and if they do, they don't get much use out of them compared to the other 2 consoles, in my experience anyway.

It's not they've captured market share as such, it's just they've expanded a tiny little market that existed, with games like buzz/singstar (obviously added a different dimension to them as well), by a million and have continued to grow with smart marketing campaigns featuring celebrities. The campaigns for Xbox 360 and PS3 are so impersonal compared to the wii's.

I got one in from Germany at a premium a few weeks after launch with wii sports and zelda. It was extremely boring and gimmicky and basically, just not real gaming.

• Advertisement

Tea_Bag wrote: »
    hav you tried bioshock? thats an amazing game. forza 3 is another.

You know I do play current gen games being the owner of a 360, PS3 and Wii :P Bioshock is awesome. Forza bores the arse off me. It's pokemon with cars but without the fun. I prefer my racers to be arcade ones.
    Kinetic^ wrote: »
    I got one in from Germany at a premium a few weeks after launch with wii sports and zelda. It was extremely boring and gimmicky and basically, just not real gaming.

I keep saying but nobody listens. There are plenty of good 'real' games on the Wii if you bother to look for them! there's plenty of great meaty games in on it amoungst the vapid casualware but they just don't have a uncharted 2 advertising campaign.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,062 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

I keep saying but nobody listens. There are plenty of good 'real' games on the Wii if you bother to look for them! there's plenty of great meaty games in on it amoungst the vapid casualware but they just don't have a uncharted 2 advertising campaign.

I've played some of the good games (sweet feck all being honest) and while they were good I still found it just too much effort. The multiplayer games are great when the lads are over and you're having a few beers but after a long day at work, standing up to turn on the console can almost feel like too much effort let alone moving your arms all over the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

Up until the Wii, the console market actually hadn't grown that much (since the early 90s).
    Can't say I really agree with this one. Although the figures are out of date by over a year, this piece shows that there have been plenty of higher selling consoles than the Wii. You could argue that it is only 2 years by the time those stats were taken but given that Wii sales have been slowing down and there haven't been any killer apps on the platform in the last while, I can't see it being as successful as some of the other consoles on that list in the long run. What has happened obviously is that they are reaching a different market than before, one that can be argued is higher than the hardcore market, however between lower attachment rates and more than likely lower brand loyalty it too won't do them as good in the long run imo.
    I keep saying but nobody listens. There are plenty of good 'real' games on the Wii if you bother to look for them!
    I don't even own a Wii and I agree with this, in fact there are just as many, if not more great Wii exclusives than there are on the other consoles. You will unfortunately have to look to 2008 for most of these but the fact remains that the "there's no good games" argument for the Wii is utter rubbish.

gizmo wrote: »
    Can't say I really agree with this one. Although the figures are out of date by over a year, this piece shows that there have been plenty of higher selling consoles than the Wii. You could argue that it is only 2 years by the time those stats were taken but given that Wii sales have been slowing down and there haven't been any killer apps on the platform in the last while, I can't see it being as successful as some of the other consoles on that list in the long run. What has happened obviously is that they are reaching a different market than before, one that can be argued is higher than the hardcore market, however between lower attachment rates and more than likely lower brand loyalty it too won't do them as good in the long run imo.

historicalrevenue199720.png

I think those are U.S figures, but i'm not 100%. But it's reflective of my understanding of the games market. Pretty poor growth rates until recently.

You're agreeing with me though without realising it. My entire point about the Wii is that it's been as successful as it has due to it primarily reaching a new audience that MS and Sony had ignored. And you're right, it doesn't have the same brand loyalty, that's what I was referring to when i said life is hard for a Wii developer. It's sold largely as a novelty item these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,336 ✭✭✭✭noodler

If Nintendo want to waste their money on Girls Aloud, Ant and Dec, the Redknapps, Ian Wright and highlight crap like Wii Sports or Tennis then that is their choice.

I have to get Bioshock soon but Demons Souls only came in he post yesterday and I haven't even tried that yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭smooch71

I don't want to slag off the Wii, I don't own one and so am not in a position to judge it.

But is it fair to have a three way comparison between it, the Xbox 360 and the PS3?

You might as well throw in the DS and PSP into the mix. While the PS3 and the Xbox are primarily aimed at the same market and the same kind of gamer, the Wii and the hand helds are not really.

Nintendo pulled a master stroke with the Wii by mostly selling it to people who didn't have a games console so it's kind of unique in many ways. But without getting into the technical side of it (because I don't understand or care about any of it) surely the other two 7th gen consoles are far superior with regards to graphic qualitiy etc.

My point is, you have to compare like with like. Someone who's considering a BMW 3 series or an Audi A4 is not going to ask about a Ford Fiesta. Different market and that doesn't mean there's anything wrong with a Fiesta.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭hooradiation

noodler wrote: »
    If Nintendo want to waste their money on Girls Aloud, Ant and Dec, the Redknapps, Ian Wright and highlight crap like Wii Sports or Tennis then that is their choice.

Given that the operating profits for the three console makers looks like this
    consoleperf1.png

I think Nintendo are doing anything but "wasting" their money.

consoleperf1.png

A prime example of why you should read posts within the context of a thread. We were talking about attempts to tell the public they have some really good games through marketing etc - in this the above campaigns do not really hammer the point home.

Cute chart though.

consoleperf1.png

Those figures are way off... I don't know where they came from.

Microsoft has been making a profit on the 360 for the past two years. Just. I think the entire 360 project went into the black recently.
    http://www.gamespot.com/xbox360/action/halo3untitledodstgame/news.html?sid=6237794

As for Sony, the PS3 is in the red. A lot. I haven't heard anything about their 2009 figures, but it's hard to see how the PS3 will ever make a profit.
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/blog/2008/may/14/sonytriplesprofitsbutplays

As for Nintendo's figures, I wouldn't believe anything I see. They are notoriously tight lipped on their figures, and have a habit of making things seem better than they are. Here's something that suggests things aren't as rosy as they seem: http://news.cnet.com/8301-10797_3-10385994-235.html
    and bear in mind, that makes no distinction between the Wii profits or DS profits.

Those figures are way off... I don't know where they came from.

Microsoft has been making a profit on the 360 for the past two years. Just. I think the entire 360 project went into the black recently.
    http://www.gamespot.com/xbox360/action/halo3untitledodstgame/news.html?sid=6237794

As for Sony, the PS3 is in the red. A lot. I haven't heard anything about their 2009 figures, but it's hard to see how the PS3 will ever make a profit.
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/blog/2008/may/14/sonytriplesprofitsbutplays

As for Nintendo's figures, I wouldn't believe anything I see. They are notoriously tight lipped on their figures, and have a habit of making things seem better than they are. Here's something that suggests things aren't as rosy as they seem: http://news.cnet.com/8301-10797_3-10385994-235.html
    and bear in mind, that makes no distinction between the Wii profits or DS profits.

Are we talking about hardware only? Isn't the money really in the games? (Obvious etc)

Edit: the PS3 article is nearly 18 months old. I think things have improved since. Metal Gear 4, two Xmas' of Fifa, Uncharted, Killzone 2, the Slim etc etc.

How many consoles do you have to sell to be viable? I mean the PS3's relatively poor performance this gen (so far) at 22+ odd million for example, would that be considered a failure in any other generation?

Is it only viewed as bad becasue we are looking at it compared to the ps2? or becasue it cost so much to make? or becasue the competition happen to be selling better overall?

• Advertisement

Are we talking about hardware only? Isn't the money really in the games? (Obvious etc)

My understanding was it's the entire operations. I could be wrong. Figures for the games industry are notoriously unreliable and poorly documented.
    Edit: the PS3 article is nearly 18 months old. I think things have improved since. Metal Gear 4, two Xmas' of Fifa, Uncharted, Killzone 2, the Slim etc etc.

nope: http://ie.ps3.ign.com/articles/104/1040692p1.html
    How many consoles do you have to sell to be viable? I mean the PS3's relatively poor performance this gen (so far) at 22+ odd million for example, would that be considered a failure in any other generation?

Is it only viewed as bad becasue we are looking at it compared to the ps2? or becasue it cost so much to make? or becasue the competition happen to be selling better overall?

well, if you're in the red you're in the red. It's bad no matter what you bench against.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

historicalrevenue199720.png

I think those are U.S figures, but i'm not 100%. But it's reflective of my understanding of the games market. Pretty poor growth rates until recently.
    Well U.S or not I still think it's not entirely accurate. What isn't factored into the above charts is the increased price of both the consoles and games, the increase in the rise casual games most of which aren't free and of course, WoW's $1b+ revenues. ;)
    You're agreeing with me though without realising it. My entire point about the Wii is that it's been as successful as it has due to it primarily reaching a new audience that MS and Sony had ignored. And you're right, it doesn't have the same brand loyalty, that's what I was referring to when i said life is hard for a Wii developer. It's sold largely as a novelty item these days.
    True on that point alright but brand loyalty isn't always to do with games. Look at the PS1->PS2->PS3 for instance, many customers bought the subsequent consoles on the strength of their predecessors, in the latter cases at huge prices and without top software to back it up. I just can't see much of the Wii's existing fanbase carrying out this practice. Also factor in this question, were it not for the launch of the new generation of consoles, how many homes woulds till use the PS2 as their primary consoles? Over 10 years later I'd bet it's a figure we'll never see with regards the Wii.

My understanding was it's the entire operations. I could be wrong. Figures for the games industry are notoriously unreliable and poorly documented.

Obviously I don't know the breakdowns but if they are still running a loss when you include ps3 hardware and games at this stage then they should be worried. Attache rates are only like 1:4? I think, so 4 ps3 games for every console sold. Only 90 million PS3 games sold? Problem is, I guess, that they could have been bought at varying prices so I can't just multiply 50e by 90 million.

On the otherhand, more motivation for a ten year plan I guess!

That article says the following at the end:

"Sales also declined, by 27% to 197 billion yen. This wasn't the PS3's fault, though. Sony blamed the appreciating yen and slowing PS2 hardware and software sales.

PS3 sold 3.2 million units over the quarter -- an increase of 800,000 over last year.
    Sony's other hardware fell. PSP dropped 200,000 to 3 million units. PS2 fell 600,000 units to 1.9 million. "

i.e.: things did improve with relation to PS3 sales.

gizmo wrote: »
    True on that point alright but brand loyalty isn't always to do with games. Look at the PS1->PS2->PS3 for instance, many customers bought the subsequent consoles on the strength of their predecessors, in the latter cases at huge prices and without top software to back it up. I just can't see much of the Wii's existing fanbase carrying out this practice. Also factor in this question, were it not for the launch of the new generation of consoles, how many homes woulds till use the PS2 as their primary consoles? Over 10 years later I'd bet it's a figure we'll never see with regards the Wii.

I agree with everything you say there. I'm not saying the Wii is the best console this generation, I was just offering up an explanation for it's very high unit sales.
    That article says the following at the end:

"Sales also declined, by 27% to 197 billion yen. This wasn't the PS3's fault, though. Sony blamed the appreciating yen and slowing PS2 hardware and software sales.

PS3 sold 3.2 million units over the quarter -- an increase of 800,000 over last year. Sony's other hardware fell. PSP dropped 200,000 to 3 million units. PS2 fell 600,000 units to 1.9 million. "

i.e.: things did improve with relation to PS3 sales.

yes, but then you have the profitability of the entire project. Considering how much of a loss they've made so far on the PS3 and everything associated, even if they turn a profit on the units next year they still have a long way to make up before the entire project becomes profitable.

Basically, annual figures for a console are very misleading. The real interesting financial figures are those for the entire lifecycle of the console. We're 3 years into the PS3's lifecycle. It looks like it will be year 4 before they start to turn a profit on operations. Considering the average lifecycle of a console (5-7 years), they aren't going to have much of an opportunity to make a profit at this rate.

Thats all well and good but not quite what you initially disagreed with me about.

I said things were improving PS3 wise and you said no.

The article you linked to disagrees.

The economics situation and yen issues have affected other Sony areas more than videogames.

The PS3 is being sold at a massive lose though and Sony are losing a lot of money on each console sold and I think the attach rate isn't covering it. I'm pretty sure with the release of the Slim Sony are making a lose again on the hardware. TBH making a lose on the slim is a good idea. It seems to be a move that is placing them firmly in second place and in time they will start making a profit on the PS3 and we will see an increase in attach rate. I really don't believe Sonys computer games division is making a profit on the PS3. Remember PSP sales are factoring into the computer games divisions profits as well and thats been doing rather well for itself lately.

Nintendos profits may be down but you've got to remember they've gone from making **** loads of money to making slighty less **** loads of money. It's probably more to do with the weak yen and the fall in value of their assets than purely sales.

Those figures are misleading.

I work in a Ma and Pa LLC. If they post record profits - they get taxed to ****. Capital Gains. Its cheaper to put it into Payroll and Bonuses. Unless youre actually looking to invest/expand using Capital Gains.

All that chart suggests is that Microsoft and Sony are sitting pretty and that Nintendo is clearly up to something.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭LookingFor

The PS3 is being sold at a massive lose though and Sony are losing a lot of money on each console sold and I think the attach rate isn't covering it.

The number from Sony's last investor call was that the PS3 as of September had a material cost 10% higher than the retail price.

Of course that doesn't include assembly cost, shipping etc. So the total cost to Sony on each sale would be a bit higher than that.

Sony's business model is very different from Nintendo's. It's expensive. They spend a lot on marketing and R&D and development. Their outlay really demands a large audience in order to be sustainable or profitable. They had that in previous years so all was good.

Nintendo tends to scale up and down with their audience so they're always profitable. They cut their cloth to suit their measure, and are much more conservative about costs and about making a profit on every last thing they sell.

So Sony really had two choices: 1) they could scale back their operation to match their current audience or 2) suffer some more pain in order to try and gain marketshare in order to support their existing model. With slim and the price cut they're obviously trying for number 2, to get the audience to that critical size that will support their operational expenses. I hope it works for them because it would be a shame for Sony to cut back on things like development when they're really turning out some awesome software now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭hooradiation

A prime example of why you should read posts within the context of a thread. We were talking about attempts to tell the public they have some really good games through marketing etc - in this the above campaigns do not really hammer the point home.

Cute chart though.

They are telling the public they have good games, you're just not the part of the public they're aiming for.

As i thought the fucking huge pile of money they've made would have demonstrated.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

They are telling the public they have good games, you're just not the part of the public they're aiming for.

As i thought the fucking huge pile of money they've made would have demonstrated.

Nintendo makes a profit on every wii. It sells most first party titles to their core fans. Other casual gamers buy it but their software attachment rate is poor. Their third party sales aren't that great. Monster Hunter Tri was probably the best selling third party. This is worrying as developers might be burnt from lackluster sales.

Latest Media Create figures i can find are 19/10 - 25/10

| PS3 | 29,977 | 30,231 | 1,079,265 | 3,701,733 |
    | WII | 25,917 | 29,965 | 1,145,891 | 8,624,868 |
    | 360 | 4,470 | 3,662 | 319,323 | 1,148,760 |
    | PS2 | 1,951 | 2,109 | 185,012 | 21,584,541 |
    | DSi | 42,199 | 49,145 | 2,508,318 | 3,739,677 |
    | DSL | 6,550 | 2,590 | 447,474 | 17,750,279 |

Advertisement