Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best value Headphones?

Options
  • 21-10-2009 4:19pm
    Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I need to buy some new headphones as my last ones went walkies. I loved my previous cans, Sennheiser EH2200's - they were my first and only pair I've ever had. They were not DJ specific, more studio, not that expensive either, but very comfortable, sounded great and served me well for close to 10 years.

So, what to get this time. I will definitely consider all the usual top end ones but really I’m not sure if I really need to spend top dollar. I might look for something similar to my last ones, whatever model replaced them or something. However I thought I’d ask what you guys would recommend. I might well spend €150 and get some top end ones, but not unless it’s really worth it.

What do you think? What headphones do you guys have and how/why do you like them?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭NotInventedHere

• Registered Users Posts: 2,607 ✭✭✭VinylJunkie

Either the HD-25's or the Sony v700. I went with the Sony's got them for 80e in HMV they where clearing them off I think.

I use the HD-25's in work and although they sound lovely I feel their a bit small.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Thanks, I can get HD25 SP's for about €100 (not sure its wroth the money getting the HD25's) - I know what you mean about being small. I'm used to the big over-ear cans, these ones are tiny in comparison - but they are designed that way and good for isolation etc - depends what you are used to I suppose.

Sony v700's are definitely another possibilty. There are some on ebay for about €80 here:c http://cgi.ebay.ie/BRAND-NEW-SONY-MDR-V700-DJ-HEADPHONES-EARPHONES-MP3_W0QQitemZ220485862647QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_AudioVisualElectronics_HomeAudioHiFi_Headphones?hash=item3355fb44f7#ht_3482wt_1165 - but I'd be weary about them being fake - there are others for €25 etc that would definitely be knockoffs. I might go try the sony's int he Sony Center and see what they feel like.

Any other suggestions I should consider anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,607 ✭✭✭VinylJunkie

Zascar Ill say it to a friend of mine who is a manager in HMV see what he can do if your interested.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Sweet man thanks that would be great! I was just in the Sony shop in Dundrum and tried them on, they are very comfortable and I like them. Didn't get to hear them with any decent music but I've no reservations about their sound quality so I'm sold!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

HD205s are good for the money, they're low budget though at 40 smackers.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Heisenberg.

This post has been deleted.

MyMemory are brilliant, worth the look. I've got stuff shipped tuesday and on my doorstep wednesday.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭Jev/N

Technics RPDJ 1200's are great for their price - €110. Decent sound quality but loud which is great.

Have the HD-25s myself and while the quality is better, the Technics are a better club set IMO, especially due to being about €60 cheaper

• Registered Users Posts: 6,402 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

MyMemory are brilliant, worth the look. I've got stuff shipped tuesday and on my doorstep wednesday.

which Tuesday and which Wednesday? Not recently I'd presume, given the postage strikes in the UK.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Mr Floyd

Only problem with the Senn HD25 SP's is the cable, goes to both ears and gets tangled very easy and is a pain in the hole to untangle, after djing for 2 hours you'd probably end up choking yourself or smashing the headphones in a fit of rage!

That would be a pain alright.

I think value wise the Sony's have it..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭jtsuited

just to point out something here. if you get the sennheiser hd25's EVERYTHING is replaceable on them. So they're gonna last a very very long time. If you ever did have to replace anything on them, they're actually made in Tullamore of all places so getting the parts is very easy.

I've used a lot of headphones over the years in studios and the fact of the matter is even the best headphones break.
    That's the reason I invested in the HD 25's as anything that goes on them is easily replaceable.

I've owned lots of headphones and pretty much every pair has broken somewhere along the line (being a drummer doesn't help). I don't like to say this but 'buy cheap, buy twice'.

the HD25's look so crap but they're incredible sounding. First set of headphones i've had that haven't fatigued the crap out of my ears.

Yes definitely, I broke something on my eh2200's and Sennheiser took them back and replaced them for me, very good customer service.

HD25's are unquestionably brilliant. The fatigue thing is very interesting - why is that? The are on-ear rather than over-ear which when i used them a few times found it strange - since I'm used to big cans.

Good review of 6 pairs here:

Value wise I still think the Sony's have it, but I have a mate who has a pair of HD25's so I'm going to pop over and have a proper mix with them and see what i think after that.

Zascar wrote: »

HD25's are unquestionably brilliant. The fatigue thing is very interesting - why is that?
    I'm not sure but I can listen on them for days. And I'm very prone to ear fatigue. Think they skimped on looks and just made good drivers.

BTW, i'm talking about the standard hd25's here (think it's the hd25-1).

Looks is of little concern really. Sony's look cool yes but are pretty dam big and I'd look more like a road worker wearing them - smaller is better for the Sennheisers ;)

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,713 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeloe

I've had my Sony 700's for nearly 6 years now, and they are still going strong!

They are a bit battered and bruised...so i got them air brushed two years ago!

look mint!

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭franklyshocked

(Possibly not meant at you Zasc, but for any noobs reading the thread for advice later :)

I'd instantly knock any open back headphones and also double corded headphone off the list. Both are really unsuitable for professional use.
    The single corded headphones are specifically designed with the DJ in mind.
    You're mixing and reaching for CD/Vinyl with one hand and a lot of the time moving or removing your headphones single handed which is why they're only wired on one side. Its so much easier and quicker to remove single corded headphones. This might not seem like a big thing to most people but I'm sure anyone who DJ's regularly will agree with me.
    Probably not as big a deal with digital DJ's who don't have to go digging through a record box but who knows.
    Closed back headphones are ESSENTIAL for preformance use. Stand in a club with open backed speakers and you'll be bloody lucky to hear your cue.
    You get all sorts of bleed through that you'd never think of when you're playing a party or messing around in your room. They're also deadly for letting you ignore poxy requests. You can just pretend you can't hear that girl shouting at you for some Beyonce. And in truth, a decent set of closed back headphones means you really won't hear it!

• Registered Users Posts: 16 eoincody

these AKGs from hard to find are very nice, and a fantastic price.

http://www.htfr.com/more-info/MR279457

they come in all sorts of colours, i got the red ones cos they come with a free headphone case, only the case is massive cos its not specifically for this model so i wouldnt bother. unless you want a dead cool lunchbox to match your headphones. the cables only a metre long so i had to get an extension cord though.

jtsuited wrote: »
    I'm not sure but I can listen on them for days. And I'm very prone to ear fatigue. Think they skimped on looks and just made good drivers.

BTW, i'm talking about the standard hd25's here (think it's the hd25-1).

Have you per chance got a large head? No offence, but with Senns it seems that they are alot more flexible if you have the arms the whole way out(eg have a big head). I have no problems with my 205s but many others do, but I have a very large head:)

• Advertisement

Have you per chance got a large head? )
    haha! find more posts from me and you'll see just how big-headed i am!!

no i think my head is around normal size.

So Santa brought me a pair of headphones for Christmas - I took your recommendation and got the Sennheiser HD25's. Very impressed, they are gorgeous. Isolation is incredible, very comfy, sound fantastic obviously, and they are just dam sexy.

Not cheap but definitely worth it, very glad I did not go with anything else :D cheers lads!

• Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

Good stuff, you really can't go wrong with them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,787 ✭✭✭g5fd6ow0hseima

Ive actually never bought a pair of headphones, and I was thinking of buying the Roland Rh-200S which are €109 at the moment on xmusic.

Anyone know much about them?

Also, are there any other headphones you could recommend as a first buy as my knowledge of them is almost nil. (i dont want to go over 100 to be honest)

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭Funky G

Sennheiser HD25 are a great set of headphones. they are pricey - every part of them is replaceable should anything bad happen but my advice is to shop around. you might even get a good deal on ebay uk using a decent seller.

As for the silver sony's - think they are called mdr-v700 - fantastic sound but they can't hack the milage. i went through 2 pairs in 2 years - i kept bringing them back to the sony center in dublin who gave me a fresh new pair every time before the 12 month warranty expired. the problem was, the sills at the top of the headphone kept cracking and i even had a pair break on me during a gig. eventually, i got a 3rd replacement pair, and sold them on the next day.

A friend got a pair of the cheap sony ones on ebay - avoid! they are not the same - different headband is used and worse of all, the left ear was louder than the right!!! Same goes for the cheap pioneer ones on sale also on ebay - all crap and just cheap chinese knock offs!!!

As for the genuine pioneer 1000 headphones - avoid. i had a pair and like the sony's the headband broke on me during a gig. decent sound out of them - but overpriced and not built well.

I'm using technics RP-DH 1200 - i have them nearly 2 years and haven't had a single problem with them. got them on ebay uk coz they were double the price here. even got the seller to give me a decent rate on posting them form the uk. Great sound from them and well built. think i paid about €140 in total. and they were being sold here for around €220 at the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 707 ✭✭✭deevey

I'll chime in here with my 2 cents to check out,

Sony MDR-V6's ... you can pick up for about $60-80 USD Inc P&P from the USA.... fantastic sounding studio phones and damn near indestructible,

Loud enough for DJ'ing (106 DB)
    Quality enough for the studio,
    Light enough for tinker belle
    Tough enough for Chuck Norris (ok exaggeration here cause we know its not possible)
    Industry standards

They are identical to the 7506 (non-hd) studio monitors except the warranty,

Theres been a lot of criticism regards the differences seeing as the replacement drivers are in fact the same sony part #. So apart from the gold connector and 3 year warranty blagh blagh your getting a $150 of phones for alot less, check out reviews on forums for other sources.

They are not too heavy on the head or pocket & industry standard monitors.

If you are prone to ear fatigue these fit the bill quite well.

Wiki linky

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

deevey wrote: »
    Sony MDR-V6's ... you can pick up for about $60-80 USD Inc P&P from the USA.... fantastic sounding studio phones and damn near indestructible,

Second these, they're sweet.

£53 off amazon.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,114 ✭✭✭dinneenp

Hi,
    I'm looking for a pair for wearing at work. I don't mind if they're very big.
    Budget would be sub €100, ideally €60 or so but can go up higher.

Compared to above what do people think of Sennheiser HD485
    here
    or these Creative Aurvana or what else?

Currently I'm using/wearing Koss Portapro

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 Dorce9

Anybody will to spend around €150 quid on headphones, if you don't buy these then you are a mentalist.

Amazing in every way.

• Advertisement

Here is a great review of 6 pairs of headphones:

DJ Tech Tools did a headphone Roundup but strangely left out the HD25's much to the surprise of many of the readers who said so in the comments.

Advertisement