Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Religion

Options
  • 20-10-2009 1:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 41

I find it hard to believe the amount of intelligent people who still subscribe to religious teachings.

I have no issue with someone having a belief system and praying there is something bigger out there, but, what I find incredible is the faith people place in the different religions. Most people will say they agree with the teaching of whatever religion they are geographically are closest too exept for this or that element.

Why do the still feel the need to be part of a particular religion? Why cant people have their own faith based on their own beleifs:confused:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,686 ✭✭✭✭PDN

boxclever wrote: »
    I find it hard to believe the amount of intelligent people who still subscribe to religious teachings.

I have no issue with someone having a belief system and praying there is something bigger out there, but, what I find incredible is the faith people place in the different religions. Most people will say they agree with the teaching of whatever religion they are geographically are closest too exept for this or that element.

Why do the still feel the need to be part of a particular religion? Why cant people have their own faith based on their own beleifs:confused:

People do have their own faith based on their own beliefs. And when you get a group of people with similar such beliefs we tend to call it a 'religion'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 boxclever

PDN wrote: »
    People do have their own faith based on their own beliefs. And when you get a group of people with similar such beliefs we tend to call it a 'religion'.

People dont start religions they follow exising ones.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,406 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

Try telling that to a scientologist.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,589 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Im going to make a presumption that you were raised a Christian. Is it fair to say that you are basing your knowledge of other religions on Christianity?

How familiar are you with Island, Hinduism, Buddhism? The Koran reads alot different than the bible and contains "truths" that were published to prove to people of God's existance.

Religion brings hope, comfort and joy to BILLIONS of people around the world. If you cant understand why people put so much faith in something that illicits that kind of response, then clearly you need to talk to these people some more! ;)

Which sort of begs the question how the existing ones got there in the first place.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 370 ✭✭mega man

Because the smart ones create religions, the dumb ones follow them. No offence intended.

Which sort of begs the question how the existing ones got there in the first place.

But have been distorted since.

Im going to make a presumption that you were raised a Christian. Is it fair to say that you are basing your knowledge of other religions on Christianity?

How familiar are you with Island, Hinduism, Buddhism? The Koran reads alot different than the bible and contains "truths" that were published to prove to people of God's existance.

Religion brings hope, comfort and joy to BILLIONS of people around the world. If you cant understand why people put so much faith in something that illicits that kind of response, then clearly you need to talk to these people some more! wink.gif

My Wife is a Muslim (or more accuratley comes from a Muslim family/country) and I would be fairly well up on Islam. I was raised a Christian which is part of the problem I have with religions the first response states people with the same beleifs join a religion when in fact most people are born into it.

Also the last line above is another issue I have Religion brings hope, comfort and joy to BILLIONS of people around the world.
    I could easily argue religion is the single biggest factor in peoples unhappiness around the world, and kills more people than smoking!!:D

I feel the world would be a better place without religion. Not because the theory behind it isnt sound but because the fighting betwwen the different beleifs causes more harm than good and if it was a case were there was no religious teaching but instead a general acceptance of beleif, we would be much better off

robindch wrote: »
    There are far to many Moderators!!

Ah, look where presumption gets you. Actually I was raised as an atheist.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

faceman wrote: »
    Religion brings hope, comfort and joy to BILLIONS of people around the world.

So does heroin, cocaine and other drugs. Millions of people anyways.

• Advertisement

Ah, look where presumption gets you. Actually I was raised as an atheist.
    I never presumed this. Your fellow moderator said this to me and I was quoting him.

Look where failing to read the whole thread gets you

tunney wrote: »
    Were you from Tunney. I havnt met to many people with the same surname as me

I never presumed this. Your fellow moderator said this to me and I was quoting him.

Look where failing to read the whole thread gets you

Ha ha, my apologies!:o
    Maybe you could use the quote feature when you are quoting others? It helps avoid such confusion.

btw, there's hundreds of moderators on boards.ie. Faceman moderates the drama fora (there's a joke there somewhere, but i can't be bothered trying to think of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,026 ✭✭✭kelly1

tunney wrote: »
    Drugs bring hope, comfort and joy??? Sorry for the bluntness but don't you realize the misery drugs cause users?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,981 ✭✭✭monosharp

kelly1 wrote: »
    Drugs bring hope, comfort and joy??? Sorry for the bluntness but don't you realize the misery drugs cause users?

Don't you realise the misery religion causes many people ?

But yeah drugs are bad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

monosharp wrote: »
    Don't you realise the misery religion causes many people ?

But yeah drugs are bad.

Bad perverted religion causes misery. Honest faith causes fulfillment of life. There is never any need to throw out the baby with the bathwater.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

I don't like the analogy people use of drawing drugs with religion, because some drugs do good. Whether we like it or not religion is part of who we are and how we evolved. To say it wasn't beneficial and comforting is denying history, however to say it is absolute force for good is also denying human history. Human beings are primed to believe and the danger of religion is that it easily takes advantages of that fact. Religion itself can easily take away the fear of death from a human being, that thought scares me every time...
    I don't yet know of any drug capable of that.

Jakkass wrote: »
    Bad perverted religion causes misery. Honest faith causes fulfillment of life. There is never any need to throw out the baby with the bathwater.

Just curious, how do you decide what is a bad religion?

Firstly I do agree with you more or less.

But. What about for one example, those faith healer people who basically let their daughter die ? Is that honest faith or bad perverted religion ?

Malty_T wrote: »
    Religion itself can easily take away the fear of death from a human being, that thought scares me every time...
    I don't yet know of any drug capable of that.

Me thinks you haven't tried read about the right drugs :)

Many people die because they're so drugged off their ass they think they're invincible or they simply don't care what happens to them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

But. What about for one example, those faith healer people who basically let their daughter die ? Is that honest faith or bad perverted religion ?

Honest faith, on the basis of bad perverted religion they have received.

Honest faith, on the basis of bad perverted religion they have received.

So it's both then.
    So what exactly is a bad religion then??

• Registered Users Posts: 5,980 ✭✭✭wolfsbane

robindch said:
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by boxclever

Or an atheist ( Dawkins variety). :D

Some do - the leaders of the cults, for example.

But your question, I think, asks why do people accept any religion other than one they have invented themselves. There are many reasons why people may become religious - social standing, economic opportunity, believing it to be a true account of reality, etc.

Those who adopt their own version are in fact doing it for similar reasons.

wolfsbane wrote: »
    robindch said:

Or an atheist ( Dawkins variety). :D

Wolfsbane I am honestly curious, is it possible in your mind to have no religion ? Or am I 'religious' no matter what I do ?

Wolfsbane I am honestly curious, is it possible in your mind to have no religion ? Or am I 'religious' no matter what I do ?
    Hmm. Yes, it's possible to have no religion, if we define religion as a coherent world-view that moves us morally. The utterly selfish brute would be such.

But if religion entails regarding a person as the centre of meaning, then the selfish brute worships himself. He has no other gods before himself.

wolfsbane wrote: »
    Hmm. Yes, it's possible to have no religion, if we define religion as a coherent world-view that moves us morally. The utterly selfish brute would be such.

Thats nonsense. You are re-defining religion to encompass everyone.

I am not religious, I have no faith science or otherwise.

Definitions:
    http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/religion
    Note the qualifications I have highlighted:
    1. a set of beliefs concerning the cause, nature, and purpose of the universe, esp. when considered as the creation of a superhuman agency or agencies, usually involving devotional and ritual observances, and often containing a moral code governing the conduct of human affairs.
    Here's it without those: 1. a set of beliefs concerning the cause, nature, and purpose of the universe.

My usage actually allowed the last qualification, so:
    1. a set of beliefs concerning the cause, nature, and purpose of the universe, often containing a moral code governing the conduct of human affairs.

• Registered Users Posts: 626 ✭✭✭chozometroid

You have no faith in science? So what do you believe and why?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45 maskofsanity

You have no faith in science? So what do you believe and why?
    Why "believe"? Is it not much better to think than to believe?

Advertisement