Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gretsch and Amp for my 40th Birthday.

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭rafared

Sorry :o rafared might wanna hurry and buy that, I have the GAS now. :pac:
    In the process of looking for a few guitars that might be suitable for rafared I somehow managed to convince myself I need a Gretsch. :D

I'm eyeing up a G6119-1959 Chet Atkins Tennessean Rose (long name!! :eek:)

P1180978.JPG

I was gonna try spring for a '50s Gibson ES225T next year but I like the look of this Gretsch... big difference between them but I'm gonna keep it in mind because it looks fookin' awesome. I have a bit of a thing for single pickup guitars. :o[/quote]

I just love the look of thr Rose guitars. Its the deep red colour that appeals to me. If you are a guitar lover its impossible not to get the ugre to buy one because they look so dam sweet.
    Cant wait till I get my hands on one.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,817 ✭✭✭✭Dord

Yeah it looks great! The single pickup and just a volume control is really nice too. :D

I just love the look of this baby.

Nice! That's the '62 Reissue isn't it? :cool:

• Advertisement

Dord wrote: »
    Nice! That's the '62 Reissue isn't it? :cool:

Yes I think so. I found it on streetsounds ebat shopthat Dangerous Man recommended. I emailed them last nite but no answer yet.

I also emailed chris guitars 2 days ago and havent had an answer from them either.:(

Would you be worried about bying from Japan that you might get a fake guitar from them? So much of what comes from that part of the world is fake, Id be worried about getting stung!http://stores.shop.ebay.ie/STREETSOUNDS-NYC_GRETSCH-GUITARS_W0QQ_fsubZ11523439QQ_sidZ157392609QQ_trksidZp4634Q2ec0Q2em322

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭The_g-man

Most people on here would have great peace of mind dealing with ishibashi, I have bought from them several times. You can ask for a more detailed description and extra pics also for any guitar you have an interest in.

When I went to buy a Les Paul Custom from them, they insisted on showing me four new images with scratches and dents that did not fully show up in their original pics. I ended up going with a much better guitar instead for the same money.

The U-box section of ishibashi is second hand goods, as is chrisguitars. Both are above and beyond honest for me.

The_g-man wrote: »
    Most people on here would have great peace of mind dealing with ishibashi, I have bought from them several times. You can ask for a more detailed description and extra pics also for any guitar you have an interest in.

When I went to buy a Les Paul Custom from them, they insisted on showing me four new images with scratches and dents that did not fully show up in their original pics. I ended up going with a much better guitar instead for the same money.

The U-box section of ishibashi is second hand goods, as is chrisguitars. Both are above and beyond honest for me.

Thats great to know mate. Thanks for the heads up. Ive heard chrisguitars take their time returning emails....has that been your experience with them?

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭The_g-man

The odd time he can be slow returning a mail. He does state in his webpage header to expect this, but try to have the specific model guitar you are looking at in the email title and you should be grand. 2 days is not so bad with the constant backlog of mails they would need to go through.

rafared wrote: »
    Yes I think so. I found it on streetsounds ebat shopthat Dangerous Man recommended. I emailed them last nite but no answer yet.

I also emailed chris guitars 2 days ago and havent had an answer from them either.:(

Would you be worried about bying from Japan that you might get a fake guitar from them? So much of what comes from that part of the world is fake, Id be worried about getting stung!http://stores.shop.ebay.ie/STREETSOUNDS-NYC_GRETSCH-GUITARS_W0QQ_fsubZ11523439QQ_sidZ157392609QQ_trksidZp4634Q2ec0Q2em322

I haven't had any problems with them. On my last purchase from them (a 1987 Gibson Les Paul Jr.) the guy I was dealing with got the guitar sent to the webstore office from the shop it was in so he inspect it before it was mailed to me. It was already checked in the store but they doublechecked to make sure everything was ok. :)

If you email them there is some delay in responding but it shouldn't be too bad. They're 10 hours ahead of us currently.

• Advertisement

Thanks again guys. Ive sent mails to the Japaneese site, chrisguitars and Streetsounds. Just need to be patient now. Not that im going anywhere in a hurry.http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055715164

Just lying here tring not to go stir crazy! Its dangerous, bored, have credit card, will click!:D

OUCH! That's not good... I know the feeling though, I broke my ankle a few years ago and it wasn't very nice. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭Quattroste

Hey Rafared, I'm beginning to like you! Golfer(or ex golfer), fellow red, Gretsch guitars..... The ankle will repair as it should. Don't entertain any other thoughts in your head.

Anyhow, I have just hit buy on a Gretsch G6122JR Country Gent Junior in Streetsounds

I have attached a little pic.

Dord wrote: »
    OUCH! That's not good... I know the feeling though, I broke my ankle a few years ago and it wasn't very nice. :(

Dord mate the pain was unbearable. Almost passed out.

Quattroste wrote: »
    Hey Rafared, I'm beginning to like you! Golfer(or ex golfer), fellow red, Gretsch guitars..... The ankle will repair as it should. Don't entertain any other thoughts in your head.

Anyhow, I have just hit buy on a Gretsch G6122JR Country Gent Junior in Streetsounds

I have attached a little pic.

Wow a super guitar mate. My kind of look for sure. Very best of luck with it. Keep us informed how it goes and how much the customs charge you at this end.
    As regards the ankle your totally correct mate, have to keep my chin up.
    That said liverpool have me seriously depressed at the moment but thats a conversation for another day. I will just say they MUST beat Utd this weekend or the real Rafas in trouble.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Dangerous Man

I broke my ankle about eight years ago. I stepped backwards without realizing I was stepping off a foothpath. Snap. Broke. Hospital. Idiot.

Thats pretty much how I feel about it. Feel like a idiot. :mad:

This baby is calling to me big time. Just love the colour.
    What do you guys think?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭punchdrunk

amazing blue colour but I hate gold hardware on a guitar

punchdrunk wrote: »
    amazing blue colour but I hate gold hardware on a guitar

I can see your point, blue with silver parts might look better. I never thought a blue guitar would appeal to me but it does for some unknown reason. Im not keen on the standard orange stain though. Having said that if I could get a good deal on an orange model I might take it.
    Im waiting on an answer from them about the availability of a few different guitars at the moment.:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

I've never seen a blueburst 6120 in person but they are supposed to look absolutely jaw-droppingly beautiful. It wouldn't be my cup of tea (I can't have gold hardware - the sweat from hands DESTROYS it almost upon contact.) I think if I were going for a 6120 I'd probably go for a more traditional one - the black ones look killer too though... having said all that - I wouldn't kick yours out of the bed for eating cream crackers, so to speak.

I've never seen a blueburst 6120 in person but they are supposed to look absolutely jaw-droppingly beautiful. It wouldn't be my cup of tea (I can't have gold hardware - the sweat from hands DESTROYS it almost upon contact.) I think if I were going for a 6120 I'd probably go for a more traditional one - the black ones look killer too though... having said all that - I wouldn't kick yours out of the bed for eating cream crackers, so to speak.

Is the gold hardware that bad? I figured over time it would tarnish but didnt know it happened that quickly. There are a fair few Orange 6120's on ishibashi and im starting to warm to them the more I look at them.
    I still have a soft spot for the 'roses though!;)

Unless you're really careful the gold will tarnish over time. I have a problem with my sweat in that it's extremely acidic so it eats into metal like you wouldn't believe. Seriously - if I play a guitar for a few minutes and don't wipe it down afterwards - the strings are ruined in a matter of hours. The problem for me is that the rust spreads to all other metal parts too - so I have to be really careful. With gold - the problem is even worse. This isn't an issue for the majority of people though. How did you get on over at the GDP? Did you learn about the different types of pups / bracings / tailpieces / bridges / control layouts etc? :D It can be a bit head-wrecking trying to navigate it all - but also a bit fun too.

Unless you're really careful the gold will tarnish over time. I have a problem with my sweat in that it's extremely acidic so it eats into metal like you wouldn't believe. Seriously - if I play a guitar for a few minutes and don't wipe it down afterwards - the strings are ruined in a matter of hours. The problem for me is that the rust spreads to all other metal parts too - so I have to be really careful. With gold - the problem is even worse. This isn't an issue for the majority of people though. How did you get on over at the GDP? Did you learn about the different types of pups / bracings / tailpieces / bridges / control layouts etc? :D It can be a bit head-wrecking trying to navigate it all - but also a bit fun too.

Yes mate I spent a good deal of time reading up about everything you mentioned. Its enjoyable, well to me anyway, to read about the technical stuff. It makes me all the more eager to get my hands on a guitar of my own. Im not going to rush though, want to buy something that I realy like.
    I want this baby to be a lifetime keeper and maybe leave it to my son who is learning on a acoustic at the moment.
    I just loved the look of that blue baby but think I may end up buying a 'ROSE though.

I came very close to pulling the trigger on a Tennesee Rose myself - the Jet just pipped it to the post though. I don't know what my next Gretsch is going to be but I do know that I will be getting one at some stage. Anyway, welcome to the addiction Rafa! HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA""!!!!!!!:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

I came very close to pulling the trigger on a Tennesee Rose myself - the Jet just pipped it to the post though. I don't know what my next Gretsch is going to be but I do know that I will be getting one at some stage. Anyway, welcome to the addiction Rafa! HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA""!!!!!!!:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

LOL......thanks a mil. You do realise that you are fueling that adiction:D
    I have played acoustic guitar for years and didnt consider buying an electric in that time. Years ago myself and an old mate (during my college days) used to jam together and I remember telling him if I ever bought an electric guitar it would be a hollow body. He played a strat at the time that he got from america but I wanted a hollow. I didnt even know thw name gretsch at the time (20 years ago). Its taken me that long to finally get round to getting a nice hollow body and I cant wait to get my hands on it.
    None of the 3 shops, chrisguitars, streetsounds or Ishibashi have answered my emails yet which is frustrating:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭Quattroste

Rocky in Streetsounds answered me almost immediately. Do you go through Ebay?

Don't worry about the gold hardware either. It will tarnish, if not looked after, no quicker than any other hardware. That blue 6120 is really feckin nice!

Quattroste wrote: »
    Rocky in Streetsounds answered me almost immediately. Do you go through Ebay?

Don't worry about the gold hardware either. It will tarnish, if not looked after, no quicker than any other hardware. That blue 6120 is really feckin nice!

Hi Quattroste..

I e-mailed Rocky using his email address posted on the their main website. I didnt attempt to contact them through ebay.
    I didnt see anything that realy appealed to me their ebay shop anyway. Their prices are higher than Ishibashi too which has me leaning towards buying from Japan rather than America.
    Thats not to say I wouldnt buy from them, I may well end up with a guitar from street sounds but thats not looking likely at the moment.

Advertisement