Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is something going to happen on October 25th?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,980 ✭✭✭meglome

well go on then, predict something!

he he he I don't think anyone would like to know my dreams.

Look all I'm saying is a prediction that says something will happen somewhere on the 25th wasn't worth the effort to post it. If someone predicts one of the top three sports teams will win the particular championship then I can see what they might be basing that on.

It's quite possible that randomly something could happen but I reckon it will be feck all as usual.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭Mahatma coat

But the falls wouldn't take place until Monday morning surely? The markets are closed on a Sunday right?

yes the Fall would occur on monday when the markets opened, but the event that triggers it would occur on the sunday, hence when trading opens all the traders know theyre Fukkkked and its a scramble to cash out.

say for example China refuses to buy anymore Tbills on a Saturday afternoon, this piece of information is diseminated to the market too late for all but the top echelons to do anything about it, Sunday is a day of blind panic as people start to take stock of the situation, by monday morning all Consumer confidence evaporated for the US dollar and then the trading floors open and its a mad scramble to either cash out whatever you can or a quick run in the elevator up to the roof of the building :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,701 ✭✭✭Diogenes

yes the Fall would occur on monday when the markets opened, but the event that triggers it would occur on the sunday, hence when trading opens all the traders know theyre Fukkkked and its a scramble to cash out.

say for example China refuses to buy anymore Tbills on a Saturday afternoon, this piece of information is diseminated to the market too late for all but the top echelons to do anything about it, Sunday is a day of blind panic as people start to take stock of the situation, by monday morning all Consumer confidence evaporated for the US dollar and then the trading floors open and its a mad scramble to either cash out whatever you can or a quick run in the elevator up to the roof of the building :o

Yeah markets don't work on a Saturday either.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭thecommander

As with the last prediction thread has anyone set a bar on what level of event is considered as something happening?

Things happen everyday around the world, so surely this must be a large scale event, rather than something regular.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Undergod

Tyrant^ wrote: »
    Call me crazy or a liar whatever !!! I woke up one morning a couple of months ago, and I just had a feeling something terrible was going to happen this year.

Maybe im just nuts and nothing will happen or maybe Lisbon was that terrible thing or NAMA :P... but anyway something to give you all the chills about ! :rolleyes:

Well as far as I can tell you're taking the piss, but let's just examine the timescale you're working with.

• January - Earthquake kills hundreds and displaces thousands in El Salvador.
    • January - Earthquake kills thousands in India.
    • February - Foot and Mouth epidemic in the UK
    • September 11 - Attacks on the World Trade Centre and Pentagon
    • January - Volcanic eruption in DRC displaces hundreds of thousands of people.
    • May - A China Airlines plane breaks up midflight, killing 225 people.
    • September - A ferry capsizes of the coast of Gambia, 1,863 people die.
    • October - 202 people die in the Bali bombings.
    • October - At least 170 people die in the Moscow Theatre Hostage Crisis.
    • November - more than 100 die in attacks aimed at contestants in the Miss World competition.
    • February 26 - First identified case of SARS.
    • March - Invasion of Iraq begins.
    • July - A Sudan Airways flight crashes, killing 116 and leaving only one survivor.
    • December - Earthquake kills 40,000 in Iran
    • January - Air Disaster in the Red Sea kills 148.
    • February - 251 pilgrims die in a stampede in Mina.
    • March - Terrorist bombings in Madrid kill 190.
    • April - the collision of two trains carrying explosives and fuel in North Korea kills over 160, injures hundreds, and destroys thousands of homes.
    • August - A supermarket fire in Paraguay kills over 4000
    • September - Over 300 people die in the Beslan Hostage Crisis.
    • November - Coal Mine Explosion in China kills over 150.
    • December - An earthquake and tsunami kill over 220,000 people in South East Asia.
    • December - A fire in a nightclub in Buenos Aires kills 194 people.
    • February - Coal Mine Explosion in China kills over 200.
    • February - 500 die and 1,000 are injured in an earthquake in Iran.
    • May - Uzbek troops kill 700 protesters.
    • August - Hurricane Katrina kills over 1,800 and causes billions of dollars of damage in the Southwestern United States.
    • September - Airplane crash in Indonesia kills 117.
    • October - Hurricane Stan kills over 1,600 people in Mexico and Central America.
    • October - About 80,000 people die in an earthquake in Kashmir.
    I think five years is enough, to make my point. I had pretty strict rules for including an event - a death toll of over 100 or I wouldn't include it, with a small few exceptions which I am happy to explain. This means I left out some events that would most likely be seen as pretty major - the July 7 bombings in London for example, the death of Pope John Paul II, toppling of governments, civil unrest, or any natural disaster with a death toll below 100.

If you pick any large enough period of time and predict an event of some nature will happen, you'll be right. Make the time shorter, and the prediction more vague, then you'll likely be right.

I predict a world leader will die or lose power in the next three months.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭thecommander

Undergod wrote: »
    I predict a world leader will die or lose power in the next three months.

Not really that hard to predict. It happens a good bit to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,229 ✭✭✭✭King Mob

Well so about half way through the day. Let's see if I predicted anything:

Swine flu vaccination under way:
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/8317212.stm

UN puts Iran deal on the table:
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/middle_east/8318258.stm

Microsoft unleashes new Windows:
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/8316522.stm

So was my prediction accurate?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 865 ✭✭✭Purple Gorilla

OMG WINDOWS 7 IS OUT! TIMEWAVE ZER0

• Registered Users Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Undergod

Not really that hard to predict. It happens a good bit to be honest.

Thank you. That's my point.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,476 ✭✭✭✭nullzero

King Mob wrote: »
    And I don't plan to mock anyone either.

I'm just pointing out the fact these kind of predictions are either so vague that they can be applied to anything that happens on the date predicted or they're applied to an unseen something who's effects will be seen soon.
    These predictions aren't actually predictions.

I could claim the exact same things will happen tomorrow and be as right.

So would you agree that your contribution to this thread has been to simply state the obvious?
    We can all come to the same conclusion that you seem to have arrived at.
    Again I have to wonder why you would bother posting when the topic is so clearly pointless in your view, something which you highlight in your own posts.
    I'm happy to read other peoples posts on this topic, people who have links to these individuals who are making these predictions and it makes for interesting reading, even if my own sensibilities tell me not to take it at face value.
    You rushed in to remind us all that these predictions are usually way off the mark, but no one really needed reminding. It's not as if Brian Cowen addressed the nation to say that something big may or may not happen on October 25th, it's not a case of you being the one sane voice in a society gone mad about vague predictions. Most people share your views, and as far as I can assertain these forums, whilst balanced to encourage debate are largely for the discussion of slightly off the wall topics that the majoirty of society find hard to digest.
    So while I can appreciate what you're saying, I just feel it was an exercise in stating the obvious rather than a hard hitting rebuke, after all most people take these predictions with a grain of salt, let the people who don't speak about them freely, because again, it's not hurting anyone is it?

Glazers Out!

• Advertisement

Ok,
    I predict that something important shall happen tomorrow.

I look forward to it.

Glazers Out!

nullzero wrote: »
    So would you agree that your contribution to this thread has been to simply state the obvious?
    We can all come to the same conclusion that you seem to have arrived at.
    Again I have to wonder why you would bother posting when the topic is so clearly pointless in your view, something which you highlight in your own posts.
    I'm happy to read other peoples posts on this topic, people who have links to these individuals who are making these predictions and it makes for interesting reading, even if my own sensibilities tell me not to take it at face value.
    You rushed in to remind us all that these predictions are usually way off the mark, but no one really needed reminding. It's not as if Brian Cowen addressed the nation to say that something big may or may not happen on October 25th, it's not a case of you being the one sane voice in a society gone mad about vague predictions. Most people share your views, and as far as I can assertain these forums, whilst balanced to encourage debate are largely for the discussion of slightly off the wall topics that the majoirty of society find hard to digest.
    So while I can appreciate what you're saying, I just feel it was an exercise in stating the obvious rather than a hard hitting rebuke, after all most people take these predictions with a grain of salt, let the people who don't speak about them freely, because again, it's not hurting anyone is it?
    The thing is some people do take it seriously.

Samson09 took it seriously enough to think it's possible they predicted something.

But it seems you are more interested in taking a dig at me rather than discussing the topic at hand.

• Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭samson09

Reminder: IMO, the prediction is something that will have a highly significant effect on the US economically/politically will occur on 25th October 2009.

Do I think something will happen? Who knows, probably not.
    Am I losing sleep over it? Not a wink.
    Will I be disappointed if nothing happens? Not at all.

This probably applies to most people here.

I think it's become apparent that some people will argue about almost anything, the truth is no one really gives a sh!t. :rolleyes:

samson09 wrote: »
    Reminder: IMO, the prediction is something that will have a highly significant effect on the US economically/politically will occur on 25th October 2009.

Do I think something will happen? Who knows, probably not.
    Am I losing sleep over it? Not a wink.
    Will I be disappointed if nothing happens? Not at all.

This probably applies to most people here.

I think it's become apparent that some people will argue about almost anything, the truth is no one really gives a sh!t. :rolleyes:

You started a thread and researched the subject, and then say "hey what do I care!" You clearly do care to a greater degree than anyone else here or you wouldn't have got the ball rolling.

What I do suspect, that in the unlikely event you are proven right, and something massive happens, you're completely revise your position again and shout
    "SEE! SEE! HA HA! I WAS RIGHT ALL ALONG! WHO'S A SUCKER NOW!"

• Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭samson09

Diogenes wrote: »
    You started a thread and researched the subject, and then say "hey what do I care!" You clearly do care to a greater degree than anyone else here or you wouldn't have got the ball rolling.

What I do suspect, that in the unlikely event you are proven right, and something massive happens, you're completely revise your position again and shout
    "SEE! SEE! HA HA! I WAS RIGHT ALL ALONG! WHO'S A SUCKER NOW!"

No I'll save that for when the whole vaccine hoax is finally exposed :D

Again, yet another pointless, argumentative post :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

Enough of the bickering, you two.

I'm curious as to what people think could actually trigger a colapse of the Dollar

What would the event have to be.

just speculatin for Sh1ts and giggles like,

I'm stickin with, the Chinese decide to stop buying Dollars.

anyone else have anything a little more off the wall than that.

I mena ther could be an earthquake or a tsunami but unless it happens in one of about 3 places in the US it wont make a lick of difference.

when does fire season start??

I'm curious as to what people think could actually trigger a colapse of the Dollar

What would the event have to be.

just speculatin for Sh1ts and giggles like,

I'm stickin with, the Chinese decide to stop buying Dollars.

You understand that if the dollar collapses completely the vast amount of American debt that China has already acquired would become worthless overnight?

China isn't going to snap it's fingers and stop buying dollars in an instant.
    anyone else have anything a little more off the wall than that.

I mena ther could be an earthquake or a tsunami but unless it happens in one of about 3 places in the US it wont make a lick of difference.

when does fire season start??

Summer. And if you don't think a earthquake or Tsunami would collapse the dollar, but a could of forest fires will? Really?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭EvilMonkey

The US defaults on their debt?

The thing is some people do take it seriously.

Samson09 took it seriously enough to think it's possible they predicted something.

But it seems you are more interested in taking a dig at me rather than discussing the topic at hand.

I'm not taking a dig at you or anyone else.
    I'm simply questioning the logic behind what you are saying, or more to the point, what your motivation is for saying it.
    It seems like you're wasting your own time and you don't even realise it. That's fine if you want to do that.
    So what if someone wants to believe some odd theory? Will you not be happy until everyone agree's with you? Can you not be contented with the fact that the majority already do. Surely people have a right to have their own opinions and we should celebrate this diversity even if it does seem strange.
    I personally don't care what people think, and I certainly don't think that because of one thread on a forum that is a little bit strange, is the world going to come to an end.
    To be completely honest with you, I think this thread would have ended a long time a go were it not for the tit for tat arguments that have clogged it. You have every right to voice you opinions, but I also have the right to ask why you would waste your time battling against a vague theory that most people would happily ignore, it kind of feels like you're acting as the champion of popular opinion, only no one really cares that you acting in that capicity. That's just my observation, and I'm sure you disagree, but you can be assured that I'm not taking a cheap shot at you or anyone else.

Glazers Out!

• Advertisement

I'm not taking a dig at you or anyone else.
    I'm simply questioning the logic behind what you are saying, or more to the point, what your motivation is for saying it.
    It seems like you're wasting your own time and you don't even realise it. That's fine if you want to do that.
    So what if someone wants to believe some odd theory? Will you not be happy until everyone agree's with you? Can you not be contented with the fact that the majority already do. Surely people have a right to have their own opinions and we should celebrate this diversity even if it does seem strange.
    I personally don't care what people think, and I certainly don't think that because of one thread on a forum that is a little bit strange, is the world going to come to an end.
    To be completely honest with you, I think this thread would have ended a long time a go were it not for the tit for tat arguments that have clogged it. You have every right to voice you opinions, but I also have the right to ask why you would waste your time battling against a vague theory that most people would happily ignore, it kind of feels like you're acting as the champion of popular opinion, only no one really cares that you acting in that capicity. That's just my observation, and I'm sure you disagree, but you can be assured that I'm not taking a cheap shot at you or anyone else.
    And again some people are taking this and other such predictions seriously.

You seem to be of the opinion that opinions put forth on a public discussion forum shouldn't be challenged.

But then that's not the topic of this thread.

And again some people are taking this and other such predictions seriously.

You seem to be of the opinion that opinions put forth on a public discussion forum shouldn't be challenged.

But then that's not the topic of this thread.

I'm not saying people shouldn't be challenged, nor does it seem that I feel that way.
    On the contrary I have said that you have every right to challenge them.
    I simply wonder why you challenge soft targets that are of no real significance.

I've just called you out on why you spend your time stating the obvious and you feel that a clever way to reply is to use back seat modding and misrepresentation.

I don't see what harm can be done by saying something big may happen on a cerain date. Posting a topic on a forum about that doesn't hurt anyone, it's not as if the author is going around sticking a gun in people's faces and telling them to believe thier theory or else, there's no crime being commited here, so therefor I questioned your response to the topic.
    If I was to take a guess, stating the obvious in this case just made you feel big, but that's another topic altogether.

And if some people do take these predictions seriously, what business is that of yours?
    That is indicative of an extremely condescending attitude.
    Just because someone believes in something you think is daft, that doesn't mean you have a right to tell them not to believe it.
    How arrogant do you have to be to make a statement like that?
    Are the small group of people who believe that something big is going to happen on October 25th going to form some sort of malevolent group bent on world domination, with only you in the way to stop them?
    I'm astounded that anyone could be that arrogant.

Glazers Out!

Bushfires are all consuming, and last for days, Earthquakes and Tsunamis are intense but brief by comparison.

Fires consume vast amounts of resoursces, either through fire itsel or the resoursces to fight the fire,and then only after the fires are out can the cleanup operation start.

So Yeah, Fires would be a much bigger strain on resoursces than earthquakes or Tsunamis.

Would it be in Chinas interest to colapse the Dollar???

I'm not saying people shouldn't be challenged, nor does it seem that I feel that way.
    On the contrary I have said that you have every right to challenge them.
    I simply wonder why you challenge soft targets that are of no real significance.
    Because I'm expressing my opinion on an open forum on a topic that interests me?
    I'm not targeting anything for anything.
    I've just called you out on why you spend your time stating the obvious and you feel that a clever way to reply is to use back seat modding and misrepresentation.
    I'm pointing out the fact that this has nothing to do with the thread and that you seem more interested in talking about me than the topic.
    I don't see what harm can be done by saying something big may happen on a cerain date. Posting a topic on a forum about that doesn't hurt anyone, it's not as if the author is going around sticking a gun in people's faces and telling them to believe thier theory or else, there's no crime being commited here, so therefor I questioned your response to the topic.
    And what harm am I doing by pointing out the flaws in the logic of these "predictions."

But why disagree with anyone and have a different opinion?
    If I was to take a guess, stating the obvious in this case just made you feel big, but that's another topic altogether.
    Yea my life is just that sad.

You've discovered my terrible secret.

So what have my motivations have to do with anything exactly?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭Duiske

EvilMonkey wrote: »
    The US defaults on their debt?

This is probably going to be the next "big thing" but having said that, i don't think its likely to happen in the next 48hrs. The US are increasing their National debt by just under $4 Billion per DAY, and it now stands just short of $12 Trillion. According to the National debt clock it looks something like this.... $11,954,949,962,059.30 And we think we have problems ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 909 ✭✭✭Captain Furball

It could take 4 - 10 years as china needs to keep giving them money or they stand to lose out as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

This has nothing to do with the thread, and arguably nothing to do with the forum.

If you want to discuss King Mob's motivations with him, PM him.

Because I'm expressing my opinion on an open forum on a topic that interests me?
    I'm not targeting anything for anything.

I'm pointing out the fact that this has nothing to do with the thread and that you seem more interested in talking about me than the topic.

And what harm am I doing by pointing out the flaws in the logic of these "predictions."

But why disagree with anyone and have a different opinion?

Yea my life is just that sad.

You've discovered my terrible secret.

So what have my motivations have to do with anything exactly?

Listen, I give up.
    You win.
    Everyhting I said was wrong and you can say whatever you like about anything, those are the rules obviously.
    Say whatever you want, anything I say will result in my recieving an infraction or ban from here on in so there's no point in there being any further discussion.

Glazers Out!

Bushfires are all consuming, and last for days, Earthquakes and Tsunamis are intense but brief by comparison.

Fires consume vast amounts of resoursces, either through fire itsel or the resoursces to fight the fire,and then only after the fires are out can the cleanup operation start.

So Yeah, Fires would be a much bigger strain on resoursces than earthquakes or Tsunamis.

Are you really trying to suggest that a Bush fire is a bigger deal than the last major Californian quake, or the Asian Tsunami.

I'll give you a clue the Asian Tsunami killed 250,000 people. :rolleyes:

Would it be in Chinas interest to colapse the Dollar???

No. Thats been made very clear, you're just choosing to ignore it.

• Advertisement

The fires that are caused by Earthquakes are far more dangerous than the Earthquake itself.

the Tsunami in Indonesia was fairly intense alright, but thats more down to the population density of those areas, look at the Tsunami in Tonga/Fiji last month had a much lower casualty rate.

Advertisement