Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Weaponry

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭Mantel

Might be something might not, in the pilot when they start heading to Ragnar anchorage in the nebula all they talk about is warheads "50 pallets of class D warheads in storage there, they should also have all the missiles and small arms munitions we nee...."
    How would u define "cold" then ? Cold is lack of heat to me.

Heat is transfered in three main ways (junior cert science time!)

convetion: In the convection process heat rises pushing cold material aside and downwards. Scince there is nowhere to rise to in space covection does not take place, never mind the fact there isn't enough material floating around out there to make it happen.

conduction: you heat one end of an object and the heat transfers to the other. i.e. the rest of the battlestar starts to get hot, nice if you like it.

and lastly radiation which is how heat moves about in space when there's no medium to help it along.

The shuttle for example dumps excess heat by radiating the heat as infrared light. I'd say the battlestar dumps heat in a similar way.

---

I'm not totally sure about this "space is not cold" a vacuum doesn't have a tempture but when you put material out there it tends to get quite cold, perhaps due to lack of other things around it to keep the heat in or something. For that I'll have to spend more than five minutes with google.com. Could be to do with the fact you can get insanly high on the hot side of things but you have to stop at a point when you get to the cold side of things. Plus it's all subjective.

---

As for the recoil, they seem to have gravity under control on the battlestar, there hasn't been any wacky scenes where adama is standing on the ceiling giving orders or the buckles on the presidents shoes have come undone and she's floating about. They could have a few handy devices that pull the gun the other way when it fires to reduce the recoil.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 231 ✭✭McClane

that BSG seems determinly low tech for most things

Galactia is supposed to be low-tech. All the craic about not having networked computers onboard etc. I'd say it was low-tech the day it was built for them guys but it was by design.
    Heat is transfered in three main ways (junior cert science time!)

I know how heat is transferred. I'm asking why do we have to make such a bloody song and dance about the details. Put something in space and it gets cold! Its a simple explanation but a correct one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭secret_squirrel

McClane wrote:
    I know how heat is transferred.

But the point that was being made was that in space the only way heat is transfered is by radiation - which is a fairly slow process. Which means hot things tend to stay hot and cold things tend to stay cold. For instance you could have a satellite that is in sunlight and at 100C and the rear side of it is in shadow and -100C.
    McClane wrote:
    Galactia is supposed to be low-tech.

Also if you see the planetside scenes on BSG - the tech is no more advanced there. Particularly the Military Base scenes and the caprica scenes. Its not just restricted to the warships designed to fight electronic warfare from the cylons.

Advertisement