Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Imagine launch Midband Ripwave Replacement - WiMAX

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

marrossko wrote: »
    This I found in motorola manual:

If you forget your password, you can reset it back to the default (motorola)
    password.
    To reset the password, press and hold the reset button on the back of your CPE for
    5 or more seconds. Before resetting the CPE, ensure that the power is ON.

Now I wander If this will reset all settings or just the password (to reset into factory setting on most of the routers you need to aply 30/30/30. This one say only 5s to reset the password)

Sorry to dissapoint you, it doesn't work, the password after provisioning is specific to each router, and a factory reset will not reset it to motorola, believe me, I've tried :D and failed:mad:. Port 2000 does get you in to the device, but only to the WiFi settings, to get to the routing settings, you need the password, and even then, the subnet mask is fixed, which caused me some pain for my network, as I was using a non standard network mask that the Motorola can't be set to, so I had to change all the machines on the network, which was a pain.

If you really need it, and can make a good case, the password can be got, but for 99% of users, there are no settings that will significantly change the performance of the router that can be accessed even from the more detailed menus, and there are some that if changed will brick the unit without it being looked at by an engineer with some very clever software, so don't change anything you're not sure of. Don't change it, as it will revert to the Imagine setting the first time the router gets reset for whatever reason, as it's in their provisioning download.

Steve

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

• Registered Users Posts: 11 marrossko

HAD Wimax here for 9 months, and most of the time, it's done what it's supposed to. I was on ADSL with Imagine before, and this was a cheaper option with no downgrades.

Speed is meant to be 8 down and 512 up, and it's not far off that, as long as I use wired connect, the Motorola is not good at WiFi access, I've found it easier to put another WiFi device on to my router and use that, the speeds then on WiFi are a LOT better for some reason.

There are a couple of issues with the phone lines, I have an interesting irritation with the phone ringing 2 rings but no call there, and we've eventually tracked it down to being a strange router issue, as we can now repeat the problem by switching pages in the router. It's still under investigation, as I'm not using a standard PSTN phone, for historic reasons, there's a small PABX hanging off the Wimax line, so the port on the switch may well be more sensitive to changes that a PSTN phone is not going to see.

Wimax support have been very good in looking at this, and have spent the time to try and get to the bottom of a couple of strange issues that have been causing drop outs recently. We're still working on it, and I'd be the first to accept that it's going to take a bit of time to finally nail down, as the network and configuration here is not standard, due to things like the switch, and a network that has printers that won't work with DHCP, so are fixed IP, and that meant changing the Wimax defaults so that the printers would work.

It took a while to get to the right level in Imagine's support, but they do have people at the right level, I've been working with computers for over 40 years, so I've learnt and forgotten more than a few things, the one thing that I do know is when the person at the other end knows what they're doing, and with these problems, they have been up to speed, done all the right things, and while it's not sorted, I know from my own experiences that the way it's being handled is right, and we will get it sorted by the time we've finished.

Oh yeah, while I think of it, my speeds, using an internal router are not bad, took this a few minutes ago, and this is pretty much the norm, even with bad weather about.
    I'm with them with over the month and I can't complain about the speed. So far no warnings about download limit (i think i did download around 13G last month). Only drawback is that tech.support.

http://www.speedtest.net/result/1596899557.png

• Registered Users Posts: 11 marrossko

Sorry to dissapoint you, it doesn't work, the password after provisioning is specific to each router, and a factory reset will not reset it to motorola, believe me, I've tried :D and failed:mad:. Port 2000 does get you in to the device, but only to the WiFi settings, to get to the routing settings, you need the password, and even then, the subnet mask is fixed, which caused me some pain for my network, as I was using a non standard network mask that the Motorola can't be set to, so I had to change all the machines on the network, which was a pain.

If you really need it, and can make a good case, the password can be got, but for 99% of users, there are no settings that will significantly change the performance of the router that can be accessed even from the more detailed menus, and there are some that if changed will brick the unit without it being looked at by an engineer with some very clever software, so don't change anything you're not sure of. Don't change it, as it will revert to the Imagine setting the first time the router gets reset for whatever reason, as it's in their provisioning download.

Steve

Well that was the suggestion. Many routers use different methods to reset the password. But still can't get why the CPE is blocked from being accessed by users. In fact you can't make any changes which would harm Imagine ISP any way...the setting are pretty much the same as on any router on DSL line (IP, mask, subnet, gateway, and with this device VoIP...). Can somebody who have broadband connection from Imagine say that the router has blocked password??? I don't think so! Only reason I can think of is they can use restrictions or block ports (remotely) used by application in case if you exceed your download limits...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,211 ✭✭✭MrVestek

marrossko wrote: »
    Well that was the suggestion. Many routers use different methods to reset the password. But still can't get why the CPE is blocked from being accessed by users. In fact you can't make any changes which would harm Imagine ISP any way...the setting are pretty much the same as on any router on DSL line (IP, mask, subnet, gateway, and with this device VoIP...). Can somebody who have broadband connection from Imagine say that the router has blocked password??? I don't think so! Only reason I can think of is they can use restrictions or block ports (remotely) used by application in case if you exceed your download limits...

It's probably to stop wandering eyes. As far as I know those setup pages also contain information for the CPE to connect to the local WiMax mast.

If these settings are changed then it'd completely disconnect them from the network which could require someone to go out and look at the thing.

It's more than likely a preventative measure to stop unnecessary callouts to placate people who are too inquisitive for their own good.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 delma_s

hello everyone.
    I saw you have problems with imagine donwload limit is well, I talk with imagine support by email and I got the answer, which is more than funny :)

There is no Limit on our service. It is subject to a Fair Usage Policy and Acceptable Usage Policy that you have read and is clearly printed below for you.

We will limit your service if we feel that you and others' usage is having an effect on the network. We cannot say that your limit is 20Gb or 50gb or 100gb or 500gb because it depends on the usage on that particular site and is not accurate for the whole country so our service is unlimited to all residential customers depending on usage to that particular site.

Who are they??? that they may feel when I use too much internet, and how they know how much I need it, I chose imagine because they declared that there is no download limit

is someone know good solicitor in Cork area, which is working with IT cases?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43 delma_s

oh yaa for everyone
    it is good web link http://irelandoffline.org/2010/06/wh...not-unlimited/ ireland still is in EU union , so all directives must working in it :V
    directive in all members languages http://eur-lex.europa.eu/LexUriServ/...05L0029:EN:NOT
    the 6 chapter is about it

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭stevek93

With them nearly 2 months can't really complain other than there nice hidden charges for internet security and a paper charge for them to send out the bills in the post which I was told "sometimes it slips the reps mind to inform you!" all sorted now anyways.

Other than that the speed is excellent, downloaded about 300gb last month and no word on fair usage :D

1640072411.png

• Registered Users Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭MyKeyG

stevek93 wrote: »
    With them nearly 2 months can't really complain other than there nice hidden charges for internet security and a paper charge for them to send out the bills in the post which I was told "sometimes it slips the reps mind to inform you!" all sorted now anyways.

Other than that the speed is excellent, downloaded about 300gb last month and no word on fair usage :D

1640072411.png
    Yep that sounds like my experience. Lightning speeds the first month or so then they signed up a whole new gang of customers and that was it. I hope your good fortune holds out though.

1640072411.png
    That's a woeful connection in terms of upload speed and ping...

Achilles wrote: »
    That's a woeful connection in terms of upload speed and ping...

hardy upload and ping is fine for me as i don't game

• Advertisement

hardy upload and ping is fine for me as i don't game

Fair enough!

yep lol

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Network not as overloaded as before. Imagine is quite a good option in some parts nowadays.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 XUnknownX

how is imagine wimax received into the house? do you have some sort of outdoor modem or do you plug in the router and it connects like mobile bb? :D

XUnknownX wrote: »
    how is imagine wimax received into the house? do you have some sort of outdoor modem or do you plug in the router and it connects like mobile bb? :D
    You plug this into the electrical outlet and then connect your PC/laptop to the unit wirelessly or via an ethernet cable.

However you would be more successful connecting through this!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 XUnknownX

So, it's a nono ?

XUnknownX wrote: »
    So, it's a nono ?
    In fairness it's been a year since I left them. The service started out good but within a few weeks it was poor. Their 'unlimited download' policy was a joke, yes I know most companies warn against that but they took the piss! Their 'no congestion' promise was lies pure and simple, barefaced lies! And their customer service was run by baboons.

The price is very good but I don't mind paying that bit extra for good service. I get a constant 7.02M from my NG Eircom package and true unlimited download. It will take an awful lot for me to leave them again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Psygnosis

Does anyone have imagine in Rush, Co.Dublin would they be able to tell me what average speed they get and if they get contacted on the usage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭wellboytoo

Just came across this thread, I was Fcuked by the best of them, Eircom, Cowboy wireless providers, sat providers, nobody còuld give me more than three times dial up, despite the fact I am only three miles from the centre of Waterford City.
    I went to Wimax about three years ago,it has been down twice since for a day or so, four pc/laptops in the house, getting 6/6.5 range as promised most of the time, never have a problem with tech support.
    I would recommend them personally,I don't work for them just saying , as they seem to be getting a bad press on here.
    P

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Valten1992

Does anyone have a map of all towers in the country that broadcast WiMax? I need it for a simulation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43 bimlico

I have had Wimax for the last 10 months and they are without doubt the worst service providers for broadband I have ever come across.
    Steer well clear and don't touch them with a barge pole.

They tried to charge me an early cancellation fee too until I pointed out to them that their service was not fit for purpose and if they wanted to go into a court of law I would have no problem proving that.

They backed down and released me from the contract.

THE WORST

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭smelly sock

Still amazes me how people sign up for this junk. I had it 3 years ago and it was the worst experience of my life. I have been with eircom, vodafone and now have UPC. what imagine provide is a poor 3g service and mount an antenna to do so. A 3g dongle would be better.

I'd say that Imagine WiMAX has ended up with the same fate as their Ripwave service.

The Ripwave technology and the WiMAX technology aren't actually bad technologies at their core, if implemented correctly they can work quite well and at good speeds.

What IBB / Imagine have done though is oversubscribe the masts without deploying new sectors to cover new users to maximise profits.

When Ripwave (and subsequently WiMAX) was in the early stages with few subscribers it actually seemed to work quite well.

Same story every time. Instead of implementing true point to point WiMAX they instead went for a mobile implementation with improvements such as mounting an external antenna to make it seems point to point like but infact it is not.

Before anybody lambasts me for stating as such I used to work for the company. I was subsequently unceremoniously let go for criticising such practises. Hoe hum!

(*waves hello to all of the current and ex employees that he knows stalk this thread from time to time*)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭wildlifeboy

I had it for years and never had a problem besides sllllooooooooooooooowwwwwwwwwww connection. upc now thank god.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭smelly sock

MrVestek wrote: »
    I'd say that Imagine WiMAX has ended up with the same fate as their Ripwave service.

The Ripwave technology and the WiMAX technology aren't actually bad technologies at their core, if implemented correctly they can work quite well and at good speeds.

What IBB / Imagine have done though is oversubscribe the masts without deploying new sectors to cover new users to maximise profits.

When Ripwave (and subsequently WiMAX) was in the early stages with few subscribers it actually seemed to work quite well.

Same story every time. Instead of implementing true point to point WiMAX they instead went for a mobile implementation with improvements such as mounting an external antenna to make it seems point to point like but infact it is not.

Before anybody lambasts me for stating as such I used to work for the company. I was subsequently unceremoniously let go for criticising such practises. Hoe hum!

(*waves hello to all of the current and ex employees that he knows stalk this thread from time to time*)

I had it in the early days. They'd throttle torrent downloads. I could use it for browsing but nothing else.

I had it in the early days. They'd throttle torrent downloads. I could use it for browsing but nothing else.

Ripwave or WiMAX?

I know that back in the IBB days they used Ellacoya Traffic Management systems for Ripwave and Breeze network traffic shaping back in the day.

Not sure if they would have employed the same system with WiMAX but one would assume so as the infrastructure was already there for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭EdmondShiels3

Thinking of getting Wimax, have very little options. Only other option is mobile broadband. Is it worth a try? What is downloading torrents like? Do they block them?

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Obecny

Thinking of getting Wimax, have very little options. Only other option is mobile broadband. Is it worth a try? What is downloading torrents like? Do they block them?

It shouldn't be your option at all, totally rubbish, forget about torrents without vps
    Forget about sending an email with few photos it is almost impossible.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭warlikedave

Three don't throttle torrents (tried and tested that myself) but like all 3g/4g networks - there is no minimum quality to the connection itself could be terrible either way

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭EdmondShiels3

Three don't throttle torrents (tried and tested that myself) but like all 3g/4g networks - there is no minimum quality to the connection itself could be terrible either way

What was you connection like? I know it can be better in some areas but overall what was your speed like and were torrents a good speed. I don't download a lot but would like to be able to do some.

Advertisement