Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who am I and what have I done with the couch potato I used to be?

Options
  • 13-10-2009 11:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭

Right, I've decided to start my own training log to track my progress from lazy arse to supreme athlete :p

So here's my background. I started running at the end of June, as part of my weightloss journey (hence the name). When I started I struggled to run 1km on the treadmill without passing out. It took me weeks to get beyond running 1km at a time but I eventually managed to get up to 2km. Slowly but surely I've been clocking up the distances and last weekend I managed my first 10km in 68 mins 30 seconds. I know its a slow time, but the goal for the day was simply to run the lot without stopping (and I really wasn't sure that I'd manage it, but I got there in the end!)

I've now decided that I want to run the Connemara Half Marathon next April, and if that goes to plan, maybe DCM in October 2010.

Feel free to advise, comment, criticise as appropriate :)

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Good luck. See you in Connemara. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭journey

Here are the workouts and times that I can remember for the last week.

Monday 5th October 2009 - 5.5km 37:30 (Outdoor)
    Nice handy pace, struggled a bit towards the end but ploughed on through.

Wednesday 7th October 2009 - 6.5km 45:38 (Outdoor)
    Very happy with how this went. Felt like I could have done more at the end.

Saturday 10th October 2009 - 10km 68:30 (Donadea)
    Really struggled between 8km and 9km but slowed down the pace a bit and managed to convince myself to keep going. Found my legs again on the last km and managed a sprint to the finish :)

Monday 12th October 2009 - 26km cycle - 1hr 20 (Outdoor)
    Legs didn't feel up to running so took advantage of the nice weather and got on the bike. Lots of hills!!!!

Tuesday 13th October 2009 - 5.5km - 35:16 (Outdoor)
    This was a struggle from start to finish tonight. First time running alone in over a week. Turned the volume up on the Ipod and just ploughed on through. Turned out to be an improvement on my time from last week. Could definitely have given up at least 5 times tonight, so pleased that I kept pushing myself. Hopefully tomorrow's easier.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,496 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

A great run in Donadea, and a good target to beat for the future.
    Best of luck with the journey, journey.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭osnola ibax

Welcome to the logs journey - don't stop believin' & hold on to that feelin'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭misty floyd

don't stop believin' & hold on to that feelin'

ahhh you beat me to it. Best of luck with the training Journey.

• Advertisement

First training session with local AC.

800m warm up, agility work, sprints & 3.8km run.

Legs felt like lead on the run so definitely having a rest day tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭jb-ski

Hi Journey

just curious, what club do you train with?
    exact same session yesterday for us (LeCheile).
    could be a coincidence.

best of luck with training.

I started with le cheile last night jb ski :)

great!

the 'meet & train' group has been a great success so far,
    hopefully we can keep the numbers up over the winter months
    when it's harder to drag people out.

see you on wednesday:).

BTW if you're considering the connemara 1/2, i'd highly recommend
    it, but i would suggest you book it soon. it was booked up before
    Christmas last year.

Gonna book it when I get paid next week :)

Anyway, back to the training log - muscles were aching yesterday after Wednesday nights training session so had a rest day yesterday.

Today muscles were even more achy but forced myself to do something so decided to pay a visit to the gym and do a few km on the treadmill (hadn't been on a treadmill in 3 weeks so wanted to see if I could notice an improvement). Was hoping to stretch out the legs and do an easy 5km but curiosity got the better of me.

I always ran at between 8.5 and 9kph on the treadmill but after a few weeks of running outdoors I decided to put it up a notch and see how I could get on. Managed 2k at 10kph and another at 9kph before the legs couldn't take any more and so I went and cycled for the remainder of my gym session.

Hopefully legs will be feeling a bit better by Sunday as I'm hoping to get out to do 8k.

• Advertisement

4.5km in the Phoenix Park this morning before a big family lunch this afternoon.

Tore my poxy left quad today at work. Turns out it's a symptom of an underlying pelvic alignment problem that is also the cause of my dodgy knee. Been to physio who is confident that it can be sorted with some work which I'm happy about but feeling really crappy about not being able to train for a while, just when I was getting to a stage where I felt I was making real progress :(:(:(

Will know a bit more after further appointment on Thursday but until then it's back to Ms Couch Potato for a while!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

journey wrote: »
    it's back to Ms Couch Potato for a while!

Noooooo no no that kind of talk is just not allowed in here :p
    I'm on a bit of a go slow at the minute myself (not that I'm ever anything but) with a hamstring strain. I've had a few phases since I started where I've had 2-3 weeks out for various reasons. proper recovery is important or you'll end up with a more serious injury. You won't lose the fitness you have gained overnight. I have found it important to maintain some level of activity. i've been cycling a bit (with a quad injury I assume that's out for you?). Even on sunday I took the kids to the pool and splashed around for an hour which was good for maintaining that feeling of being active rather than sitting on my bum all day. Do ask your physio's advice in terms of what you can do. And do continue to post in your log here.... even it's just updates on your physio or to moan about not being able to run.... the very fact that you are posting in a running log means you are a runner :D and are less likely to slip back into old habits.
    You'll be back up to scratch in no time. See you in Connemara :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭woundedknee

Stay in the zone journey and don't lose the training mentality. Go to your meet & train session tomorrow and watch what's going on. Were you going to a gym? if yes, you should still go even if it's only to use the sauna. Keep with your routine or else you wont have one.

see you later, you can encourage the rest of us!

No couch potatoes allowed here:D.

Thanks everyone,

Feeling slightly more positive today, anti-inflammatories have kicked in :p

Back at the physio in the morning to get a better idea of healing time etc as hopefully a lot of the swelling will have gone down by then.

Physio has given me exercises that I can do to address the pelvic alignment issue so will slot those into a training plan along with some upper body work.

On the plus side, now I know what's wrong, it's given me answers about my long standing knee problem and if I follow the strengthening regime from the physio I can hopefully prevent any further damage to the knee.

Gonna spend my recovery time researching so that when I can run again I'll know what I'm at. Connemara is still very much in my sights, along with a possible DCM next October, who knows?????

Back to the physio this morning. Swelling has gone right down, there's some bruising but nothing too bad. Have lots of exercises to be doing to keep me going and when I can do a full stretch and squat without any pain then I can start getting back into running again. He reckons I could start gentle jogging in about 2 weeks :D:D:D:D:D:D

Well my body being the nice co-operative soul that it is decided to give me my winter flu at the same time as my injury so I'm not losing out on any more running time :) Leg is so much better. No pain at all now when I walk, and it's only really when I'm standing up from sitting down in a low chair that I feel a little twinge. Will hopefully be able to start back mid to late next week and then it's full systems go to get back into the swing of things. It's amazing how lazy you can become in such a short space of time!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

Good stuff journey. I'm hoping to get back in action myself next week. I think it'll be more "easing back into it" rather than "all systems go"! though. Just don't do yourself more damge by doing too much too soon!

I'll be easing back into it as well littlebug, shorter distances initially but going to aim for 4 training sessions a week. Just paid my entry for the half marathon in Connemara on the 11th April so no turning back now :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Just paid my entry for the half marathon in Connemara on the 11th April so no turning back now :)
    Am tempted to go for the half in Connemara myself... we shall see ;)

Just make sure you get some hills into your training.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 12atir

that is so inspiring to hear about ur struggle to start with....i always look at runners with a bit of envy and so wish i would start...im not too overweight and do love walking but may start running soon...thanks for sharing your story and well done again

Just paid my entry for the half marathon in Connemara on the 11th April so no turning back now :)

Hi, journey,

glad to hear you're almost back in action.
    well done on booking Conn, it'll be much easier to motivate yourself
    when you've got an event planned.

probably a few others from Le Cheile doing it, so club training
    will have everyone in optimal shape.

We're also lucky to have Wounded Knee And LeCheile as 'gurus'
    looking after us:)

see you on Wednesday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭paulocon

The title of this log really stood out for me.. in a similar position and considering the Connemara 1/2 in April. Great to read of someone else training.

Anyone else done the Connemara 1/2, was looking at the elevation map and there looks to be around a mile of quite a steep incline towards the end.. could be very tricky!!

Think it'll be Wednesday week JB Ski - still some twinges so not going to start running again until the end of the week and then do a couple of easy runs to ease myself back in. Really need to get back running though, I've become so lazy it's ridiculous!

Paul, if I can do it anyone can. I was the most unfit person I knew. Trying not to think about the inclines in Connemara just yet lol, the distance alone is daunting enough! I live at the top of a long very steep hill so I'm guessing that that's going to form a large part of my training before Connemara!

Woohoo, I'm back in the game :D

I started back running again this evening. Eased myself in with a short 3k but upped the speed and did it in 19:15 which I was pleased with. The weather was cold, wet, windy and generally miserable but I was just so happy to be out again! (and once again I ask myself who am I and what have I done with the person I used to be lol).

Meeting a friend on Sunday for a 5k (but might persuade her to do 7 ;))

We have registered for the Aware 10k and I'm hoping to take a chunk of time off my Donadea time (1:08:30). Obviously the dream is to get in under the hour but realistically it's a lot to ask for in a relatively short space of time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭woundedknee

When returning to training after an injury it's always best to gradually ease yourself back into a regular routine and 7K might be too much too soon.

I always take a step back before going forward. I'd stick with 3K or better still I'd concentrate on time on my feet rather than distance and just do 19 mins.

Thanks for that woundedknee. Will stick to 20 minutes so and gradually build it back up. The last thing I want is to knock myself out again.

The plan was to do 20 minutes, but it was such a nice evening that we actually ended up doing a nice, slow 5.2k (35 minutes). So glad to be back running again :D

• Advertisement

Took the mutts out for a 45 minute run/walk this afternoon. Nothing too strenuous. The rain started to come down so it wasn't the most pleasant but hey, time on your feet is time on your feet.

Advertisement