Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gerry Ryan having a pop at Boards

Options
  • 13-10-2009 9:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭

Just heard Gerry Ryan having a go at Boards, he was talking about a YouTube video that shows kids in Limerick rapping about killing a gang rival and he was saying how its crazy this can be allowed to be posted on you tube he then went on to say sites like YouTube and boards where no laws apply is a disgrace or something along those lines.

Not sure if someone wants to contact the show to make a reply.
    Post edited by Shield on
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

I think he's just annoyed because most times he's mentioned on Boards it's quickly followed by a barrage of (accurate) abuse.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Perhaps but he was a rant that gave the impression that you can post anything on Boards and no-one moderates it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

Hold on, limerick gangs rapping about killing a rival? This stuff parodies itself.

Perhaps we should invite gerry ryan to post on boards and then ban him under the dick and ass rules.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Villain wrote: »

Might be a plan, esp if he's saying anything goes in here. Very much gives the wrong impression. Ironic given it's one of the most, if not the most heavily modded forums I've been on. Mostly for the good of the community, sometimes not so much, but on balance good. It is different to many forums and that difference should be noted wider IMHO. Many people don't sign up to forums because they assume it'll be full of spotty 14 year old geeks with nothing to contribute but abuse. Boards is different.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Might have something to do with this thread. I also sent Gerry a link to 4chan claiming it was boards...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Maybe :D

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

If Gerry wants to reply on thread, he can.
    If Gerry wants one of the mods to go on his show and defend the Gerry Ryan Megathread, I'll do it.

Otherwise, he can stfu as far as I'm concerned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭Darragh

Villain wrote: »
    Just heard Gerry Ryan having a go at Boards, he was talking about a YouTube video that shows kids in Limerick rapping about killing a gang rival and he was saying how its crazy this can be allowed to be posted on you tube he then went on to say sites like YouTube and boards where no laws apply is a disgrace or something along those lines.

Meh.

I dropped the show a line last week. No reply, even to say thanks.

We have bigger problems to worry about than Gerry Ryan.

Thanks for the heads up though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Oh he's having a go at boards is he? He's a terrible radio personality (I use the word personality in the loosest terms here), and his overpayed ego can't handle what people genuinely think about him?

Reminds of that utter tool John Waters ranting about blogs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

Darragh wrote: »
    Meh.

I dropped the show a line last week. .

saying what, out of interest?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,523 ✭✭✭✭Nerin

On a personal level he probably hates the megathread. Before irish net took off, people would just rant at people they knew if the disliked him. Now they do it were thousands of people can see and agree. On another level he could just not understand the net, which is sadly still common. /shrug. Not a big deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

Boston wrote: »
    I also sent Gerry a link to 4chan claiming it was boards...
    Lol, good work.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

send Degsy on his show as official spokesman for boards.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

We're doing something right, so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Damn, I'm now tuned in hoping to hear him have another go. Ugh.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,067 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Meh.

My prayers are with you

• Registered Users Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

mike65 wrote: »
    Damn, I'm now tuned in hoping to hear him have another go. Ugh.
    See? This is all about giving him the oxygen of publicity, whereas I, for one, wouldn't even give him the oxygen of oxygen.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

Gerry Ryan is free to post on the ranting and raving forum.

Of course, it is very easy to have your say on a one way medium.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭deadhead13

The show will be repeated tonight at 2 o'clock. There is a weekly podcast, but I doubt this will be on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

What's he pissed off at us people from the interwebz for? :( We're not the only ones who give him abuse, after all he did get booed out of the place at the O2 for the Dunne/Poonsawat fight. The average joe thinks you're no use too Gerry! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

what like going to award shows and turning off the lights;)

Gerry Ryan is free to post on the ranting and raving forum.

Of course, it is very easy to have your say on a one way medium.

Kinda ironic no? Rant and Raving is as close to a one way medium* we have on boards? Gerry Ryan could post up a thread saying boards.ie is ****e and you could either agree with him or not post. That nothing against R&R, it's perfectly valid to set up a one way medium, but lets not get on a high horse about how much freedom of expression we allow compared to the traditional media.

*Of course announcements forum is a one way medium.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Boston wrote: »
    Kinda ironic no? Rant and Raving is as close to a one way medium* we have on boards? Gerry Ryan could post up a thread saying boards.ie is ****e and you could either agree with him or not post. That nothing against R&R, it's perfectly valid to set up a one way medium, but lets not get on a high horse about how much freedom of expression we allow compared to the traditional media.

*Of course announcements forum is a one way medium.

They could also allow people to post in a counter rant thread about how people who think boards is **** are ****.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

People are turning away from traditional media which is one-way, towards media which offers them a voice. Its not particularly strange that the old media isnt happy about what the "new kids" are up to.

At the very same time, shows like PrimeTime are on the politics forum actually interacting.

Gerry Ryan doesnt like us? I wont be losing any sleep.

DeV.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 5,555 ✭✭✭tSubh Dearg

I am forced to listen to Gerry Ryan in work most mornings. It is rare that he does a piece on the internet and doesn't have a rant about sites like boards, facebook etc. It seems to be his favourite hobby horse at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

I am forced to listen to Gerry Ryan in work most mornings. It is rare that he does a piece on the internet and doesn't have a rant about sites like boards, facebook etc. It seems to be his favourite hobby horse at the moment.
    That is true, just he threw Boards in with You Tube and a feuding Limerick gang video full of kids this time, a low even for Gerry imo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

As usual all threads started on here about him end up being a rant about what a tard he is

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

Meh.

I dropped the show a line last week. No reply, even to say thanks.

Thanks for the heads up though.

Gerry Ryan is a national problem.

We complain about the amount of money we pay elected officials.

Who pays this mans wages?

For my licence fee id rather listen to the looped sound of a dog pissing on a wall.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

snyper wrote: »
    For my licence fee id rather listen to the looped sound of a dog pissing on a wall.

I think Todayfm have that on at the same time as G Ryan :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭trout

snyper wrote: »

PM sent. Cash preferred.

Advertisement