Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

road rules

Options
  • 12-10-2009 8:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭

without starting a row...i thought cyclists were not allowed on motorways but they seem to ignore the m11 signs:confused:
    also is it out of order to blow your horn at cyclists who ride two or three abreast on small roads and wont give you and oppurtunity to pass..i live in wicklow which seems to be a magnet for cyclists which i have no problem with but why do they not cycle in a single file on some of the most dangerous roads in the country..please you all ask for respect from motorists which is fair but please return the favour and dont treat us all as potential aggressors

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭dermot_sheehan

Cyclists are prohibited from cycling on motorways,

but it is perfectly legal and actually sometimes safer to cycle two abreast.

cycling two abreast ensures vehicles only pass you when the other side of the road is clear and they can see far enough for the maneuvere, same as passing a car.

If you cycle single file, they edge by you with one wheel slightly over the median line, even if it is a blind corner. If there is another oncoming vehicle slightly over the median, they vere in, crushing you.

Many motorists don't understand how dangerous it is to slightly overtake cyclists on blind corners, and personally if its a choice between my personal safety, and a motorists' convenience, I chose my safety.

Further more you should only use a horn if you think a cyclist is unaware of your presence, using it otherwise is discourteous and ignorant.

And please remember most cyclists are also motorists, and realise what its like to drive. We also know what its like on two wheels, something that many drivers in this country lack.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,031 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

is it out of order to blow your horn at cyclists who ride two or three abreast on small roads and wont give you and oppurtunity to pass

Only use a horn to:

* warn other road users of on-coming danger, or
    * make them aware of your presence for safety reasons when reasonably necessary.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭chiefwiggum

Lumen wrote: »
    Only use a horn to:

* warn other road users of on-coming danger, or
    * make them aware of your presence for safety reasons when reasonably necessary.

and what do you do to make them notice....most know youre there without a doubt and refuse to budge

so gabhain would you have motorist travel behind two riders cycling abreast for 4 or 5 km on a road with no overtaking oppurtunity due to oncoming vehicles or bendy road?

and what do you do to make them notice....most know youre there without a doubt and refuse to budge

They have no obligation, and are perfectly within their rights and indeed it is much safer for them not to budge.

Wait for a safe place to overtake, indicate and move out. Same with overtaking a car.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31,031 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

On the rare occasions that this happens I hold back at a safe distance and mutter dark curses at them.

so gabhain would you have motorist travel behind two riders cycling abreast for 4 or 5 km on a road with no overtaking oppurtunity due to oncoming vehicles or bendy road?
    Yep, the motorist has to wait for a safe overtaking place.

Them's the rules.

It would be unusual for a motorist not to come across one given the amount of time required on the other side of the road to overtake a cyclist is quite minimal.

gabhain..come to wicklow my good man..on a sunny weekend in the summer .and a constant oncoming view of the tourishts!!! you'll see what im talking about

also alot of you guys seem to ride in groups of twenty to thirty which is like overtaking the lenght of an artic

I have been in wicklow before,
    both on a bike and in a car.

I can pass cyclists/tractors/other motorists quite easily.

Can't you?

• Advertisement

m11/n11 doesnt count

• Registered Users Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭uberwolf

I'm keeping a close eye on this thread

• Registered Users Posts: 628 ✭✭✭emtroche

which is like overtaking the length of an artic

Or a tractor with a big trailer?

This might interest you http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=845

• Registered Users Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭niceonetom

Oh, how I wish I could just point you towards the search option.
    also alot of you guys seem to ride in groups of twenty to thirty which is like overtaking the lenght of an artic

But if they go single file they'd be twice as long.

Ah, but then, I hear you think, I wouldn't have to go all the way across the white line to overtake...

...And that's why we go two abreast. Skimming is bad.

uberwolf wrote: »
    I'm keeping a close eye on this thread

why???????? its a discussion not an argument..no hostility from me and i dont think i sense any from the other posters

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

I'm not here to start a row but....

No, cyclists can not use motorways. If you are upset by huge groups of cyclists hogging the roads, maybe try using the motorway some more, generally cyclists tend to stick to smaller back roads.

In all my time cycling on boards, I can't remember us holding up a single car for more than a minute or two. I honestly don't know what you do or where you are driving to, but I can only infer from your impatience that you are either (a) a third world dictator or (b) a member of the emergency services. We all get held up on the roads by cyclists, tractors, camper vans, tourists in rental cars, etc.

I don't know what you expect to happen with your post. Do we all stop cycling, throw our bikes away and sit inside in case we hold you up for a few minutes because you can't overtake on "dangerous roads".

I don't apologize for being narky either, you clearly came on here not to hear opinions but to let everyone know "get the feck off the road, I'm in a hurry".

why???????? its a discussion not an argument..no hostility from me and i dont think i sense any from the other posters

Don't want to speak for uberwolf but these type of discussions usually end up with lots of trolls coming to this forum.

yeah my cunning plan worked didnt it dirk! i am a very careful driver and respect cyclists but its attitudes like yours that make motorists say feck all cyclists and i'll just mill by them with no regard for their safety cop on will ya!! and mods feel free to close this cause i know where its going ..should have trusted my instincts

donal im not looking to start a row its a subject i have always wanted to ask riders but dont know any

• Registered Users Posts: 6,494 ✭✭✭daymobrew

A thread on this subject always starts as a discussion but often descends into an unproductive shouting match.

Back on topic, the Cycling Wiki has a short description answering Why do cyclists take up the road?.
    i live in wicklow which seems to be a magnet for cyclists
    Wicklow is attractive for a number of reasons e.g. relative quietness of the roads, the scenery and the climbs (yes, we are gluttons for punishment).
    DirkVoodoo wrote: »
    I don't apologize for being narky either, you clearly came on here not to hear opinions but to let everyone know "get the feck off the road, I'm in a hurry".
    Ah, this is a bit unfair - chiefwiggum hasn't reacted in a manner to deserve this comment. The replies so far have been calmly explaining the reasons for the behaviour that chiefwiggum observes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭niceonetom

yeah my cunning plan worked didnt it dirk! i am a very careful driver and respect cyclists but its attitudes like yours that make motorists say feck all cyclists and i'll just mill by them with no regard for their safety cop on will ya!! and mods feel free to close this cause i know where its going ..should have trusted my instincts

This is not looking for a row?

Your question has been answered anyway. Any other business?

in fairness bar kerry wicklow is probably the best place to ride with the scenery and hill climbs..thsnk you daymobrew.im calm and dont think im threating or trying to imply anything..if these things were dicussed calmly surely there would be a greater understanding on both sides

Sorry daymobrew, but the first 2 replies answered his questions, and that wasn't enough?

Yes, we can all throw out more and more hypothetical situations to try and make a case, it doesn't change the law. 2 cyclists, 50 cyclists, it makes no difference. If you can't overtake safely then you can't overtake.
    i am a very careful driver and respect cyclists

And this speaks for itself.

Sorry daymobrew, but the first 2 replies answered his questions, and that wasn't enough?

Yes, we can all throw out more and more hypothetical situations to try and make a case, it doesn't change the law. 2 cyclists, 50 cyclists, it makes no difference. If you can't overtake safely then you can't overtake.

And this speaks for itself.

so case closed cos you said so?

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭biomed32

without starting a row...i thought cyclists were not allowed on motorways but they seem to ignore the m11 signs:confused:
    also is it out of order to blow your horn at cyclists who ride two or three abreast on small roads and wont give you and oppurtunity to pass..i live in wicklow which seems to be a magnet for cyclists which i have no problem with but why do they not cycle in a single file on some of the most dangerous roads in the country..please you all ask for respect from motorists which is fair but please return the favour and dont treat us all as potential aggressors

by actually posting your comment on the page your basically complaining about the attitudes of cyclists on the roads in general, so be prepared for a bit of stick over it. also dirkvoodoo has made all valid points, in general I feel we are back to the whole argument here of attitudes of moterists towards cyclists all over again and thats just my opinion. I generally cycle alone and leave some space between the side of the road to generally force moterists to overtake me and not squash me, and the roads I take are usually all the back roads and country roads. so if that annoys you im very sorry but I as dirk said, rate my safety over holding up a driver for a few minutes or so.

I don't recall saying case closed.

You are a very careful driver yet struggle with the rules of the road, you respect cyclists yet become frustrated when encountering groups on windy roads?

I know you are being calm, but you are also being extremely inflexible. You have been provided with clear and detailed answers.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭uberwolf

if you can't get around 2 safely, then I can conceive fairly few circumstances where it would have been safe to get around the 2 single file.

Given the cars capacity for acceleration, and relatively low speed of the cyclists whether they are one or two should not block given a safe opportunity. AND given that opportunity I would like to think most cyclists would revert to single file to assist.

Very few cyclists enjoy the sensation of a car right up behind them, gunning to pass, and will be keen to get on with their spin by allowing a car past them - but given they've been overtaken by more motorists than you have overtaken groups of cyclists, they are more experienced with the scenario and better able to assess the situation to allow it pass without incident or undue delay.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,325 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

in fairness bar kerry wicklow is probably the best place to ride with the scenery and hill climbs..

soooooooooooo wrong, donegal, hardly see a car, scenery, hill climbs no prob

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Esroh

soooooooooooo wrong, donegal, hardly see a car, scenery, hill climbs no prob
    You can add Galway and Mayo to that:D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,328 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

2 cyclists, 50 cyclists, it makes no difference
    If I'm not mistaken Dirk, convoys are illegal because they impede traffic. If this is so would there be an onus on large groups [say 50+] of cyclists to break up into smaller groups?

Genealogy Forum Mod

Advertisement