Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Asperger's Syndrome

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Nicolas01

Children with Asperger’s have a different way of understanding and reacting to the stimulus around them. They have a diverse way of picking up nonverbal social cues when it comes to their facial expression and body language. Parents who have children with Asperger’s need to train themselves that they may adapt well to the needs of their child.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭cathy01

Attached file , course on Autism ,may be of interest to some.HTH,Cathy

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭Aruba08

my nearly 6 year old son had high functioning autism which is more or less aspergers. He was diagnosed at age 4 and he has come on amazingly. It is not the end of the world. Hes himself and his diagnosis is only something that is used to get the right schooling (mainstream JI with SNA and resource).
    Lots or research, intervention, patience and understanding. Pm me any time.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 jeep

noodle24 wrote: »
    My little brother is 19 and he was diagnosed when he was 13. He is doing his leaving cert this year. His teachers love him because he is so good, he does everything that they tell him to. He doesn't really have any friends though, he only mixes with older people, and young children love him. He is really kind and helpful to everyone. Doesn't get jokes or sarcasm, zones out with people are talking to him sometimes and he doesn't make eye contact either. As a child he could quote every ad from tv, and he speaks with an American accent.

He's very independant though because he was never treated differently at home, he goes off on the train shopping by himself all the time. When my friends called over he used to make tea for us and bring it up on a tray with biscuits just to be nice! And he knows loads of interesting facts. (Some not so interesting)!!

Just wanted to say you described my little boy and have given me a boost in my hopes for his future. :)

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 3,584 Mod ✭✭✭✭St Senan

jeep wrote: »
    Just wanted to say you described my little boy and have given me a boost in my hopes for his future. :)

My 9 year old son was diagnosed with Aspergers just over 1 year ago. His previous teacher brought his symptoms to our attention the first question she asked my Wife was our son born in America because of his accent. We do travel to America every year so we thought nothing of it. He got picked on in school one day and he lashed out at the other child, His teacher said that he will have to be punished. My sons reply was that when he gets home he will Stab himself. After speaking with his teacher again she gave us some information on AS. We were in shock that what we were reading was everything our son does or has. We had to bring him to get diagnosed privately with a child Psychiatrist. His school said that it would take up to 2 years if we went through the school system. We could not wait that long he would be ready for secondary school by then. The Psychiatrist said that our sons intelligent level was that of a 21 year old.He is in 3rd class and does not have any friends in school. He loves his own space. He loves his laptop and is always on Wikipiedia. He will gather enough information on a subject or a Toy until 1 day he stops and moves to an other subject. He has gone through Greek history, Roman history, Pirates and European wars at the moment he his main subject or topic is the American Civil war. My son is a very kind child he is also very polite. He has a SNA in school who is brilliant with him. But his biggest problem is that if he loses in a game or things don't work his way he lashes out at me or his mother calls him self a loser and tells us he wishes he was dead. At one point he used to draw pictures to explain his feelings one of his pictures was of a grave stone with his name on it. We have seen 2 other Psychiatrist with him in the last year. He is on a list to see an Occupational therapist and we have just been informed that it will take up to 3 years.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 32 forgodssake22

Dont touch Nua healthcare with a bargepole. Very poor quality of service. Unqualified/untrained staff.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭tony.aspergers

Dont touch Nua healthcare with a bargepole. Very poor quality of service. Unqualified/untrained staff.

So I have found out! Good ideas but hopeless management and of course the old curse lack of funding. There is absolutely nothing available in Ireland if one is an adult with Aspergers!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭cathy01

Autism & ADHD

Information Day

Bracken Court Hotel Balbriggan

Thursday March 3rd 2011

Guest Speakers

Dr Sean Fennell 10.00am until 11.30am

Mr Shay Goulding from the National council for Special Education: 12.15 am until 1.30pm

Lunch

Ms. Grainne Bray: Director of Beech Park Services.

2.15pm until 3.30pm.

There will be a number of information stands containing information on supports and services available for those with autism and /or ADHD available on the day, such as

Eskimo oils

Irish guide dogs, Assistant dogs for people with Autism

Remember us
    Remember us is an integrated social youth group for young people with special needs, their families and friends.

Pops Family Resources

An integrated Reading Programme supported by Word Cards, Phonic Sets and Educational Games to foster achievement through success and praise. The resources progress in small easy steps. They are designed to be easily adaptable to the individual learning needs of your child.

High frequency and everyday topic words are revisited frequently in text and games in every book. The story lines in the books build a child’s vocabulary, by introducing new words gradually in a range of contexts to reinforce their meaning.

Heidi Bedell

Heidi Bedell is a graduate of NUI Maynooth holding a degree in Maths, Science and Biology, a H. Dip in Applied Science (Microbiology) from UCG and a Diploma in Nutritional Therapy from ICIM. Heidi is a member of the Nutrional Therapists of Ireland

Paul Redmond
    has been studying and working with Homoeopathic medicine
    for 27 years. He is a graduate of the Hahneman Collage of Homoeopathy
    and is also a registered member of the Irish Society of Homoeopaths.
    He has received 20 years medical training with the D.F.B. accident and
    emergency service. Paul retired from the D.F.B. in 2001 and went on to
    established the Swords Homoeopathic Clinic located at 28 main-street
    Swords, where he is currently practising. Over the past 5 years, Paul
    has devoted an ever increasing amount of his time and expertise to
    understanding and treating children with Autism. , Paul
    believes that over the past three years he has made a significant
    break-through in the switching on of autistic children's comprehension
    and communicative abilities.

Home tuition books

Fingal county child care

Crosscare

To improve the quality of life of family carers who are often vulnerable and under stress.
    To provide opportunities to help carers break social isolation.
    To provide training and information for carers to meet their needs

If possible could you confirm your attendance to Sarah Mc Nally or Jennifer Smith at 01- 8020484 or e-mail adhdinfade@eircom.net

THERE IS NO CHARGE FOR THIS EVENT AS ITS BEING SPONSERED BY FRIENDS OF AUTISM AND ADHD CHARITY SHOP.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭Mr Trade In

I am in the middle of gaining a referal to Nua Health Care,things are a bit rough at the moment and they seem to be the only thing available,has anyone any dealings with Aspire,they seem to me a money driven business rather than a support.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 Mynamehere

Stay well away from them. There all about the money.

• Advertisement

I am in the middle of gaining a referal to Nua Health Care,things are a bit rough at the moment and they seem to be the only thing available,has anyone any dealings with Aspire,they seem to me a money driven business rather than a support.

At the moment, there is absolutely bugger all reliable support for adults with AS in Ireland. Until someone sets up a national scheme for support, we are all going to have to try and exist on our own...!

Aspire used to be quite good at one time, but they don't return calls or answer email these days, seemingly!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭Mr Trade In

I will tell my GP to cancel the Nua referral as I am frustrated enough already. In my area there is nothing available at all,GP doesn't know what to do with me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,657 ✭✭✭magnumlady

At the moment, there is absolutely bugger all reliable support for adults with AS in Ireland. Until someone sets up a national scheme for support, we are all going to have to try and exist on our own...!

Aspire used to be quite good at one time, but they don't return calls or answer email these days, seemingly!

You are totally right. My son is almost 18 and was all geared to start a brilliant course especially for people with asperger's but it got shelved due to cutbacks. :(

Right, it is time to set up a new (voluntary) action group for people with autism/Asperger's. Who's with me on this? It will purely be (for the time being) a group of concerned adults and will concentrate on the issues surrounding adults with the condition, pm me for more on this.

Advertisement