Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

What would you drive if you were a taxi driver?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,993 ✭✭✭Barr

It would have to be a Jap and auto - I rekon the Camry diesel was born to be a taxi .

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Cosmo K

Errrrhh Guys....have a look a the Taxi Regualators list of cars, that are actually approved:

http://www.taxiregulator.ie/files/Model_Report_Database_02-09-09_PDF.pdf

They don't mention armoured personal carriers:D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,993 ✭✭✭Barr

Cosmo K wrote: »
    Errrrhh Guys....have a look a the Taxi Regualators list of cars, that are actually approved:

They don't mention armoured personal carriers:D

According to that you cant use a SAAB 9-3 Estate sportswagon but the saloon is ok :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭robbie_998

i would like to be very serious about this topic and my dream car for taxi would be this

Land Rover Discovery 4

landrover-discovery-4-titel1.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 65,031 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Never saw that before, thanks. Since when is that active? So no more Toyota Corollas as taxi then - hurray :D

P.S. they seem to be strict on the luggage capacity - the boot of a Jaguar S-type is too small, so it can't be a taxi :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭junkyard

As some others said the BMW 530d auto would be my first choice too and very cheap now as a result of the rip-off road tax here and the Fiat Scudo would be my second choice other than that the Carina E would be hard to beat too. Wouldn't recommend any modern Toyota unless it was a Jap import.

unkel wrote: »
    Never saw that before, thanks. Since when is that active? So no more Toyota Corollas as taxi then - hurray :D

P.S. they seem to be strict on the luggage capacity - the boot of a Jaguar S-type is too small, so it can't be a taxi :eek:

Found the list in work a couple of weeks ago (still with the NCT:D), had a look through it.....and didn't know what to say.

Jaguar S type is the perfect example, why is that car not suitable? Same story with estates and MPV's, whats wrong with a Seat Altea or a Saab 9-5??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,309 ✭✭✭VolvoMan

Jaguar S type is the perfect example, why is that car not suitable? Same story with estates and MPV's, whats wrong with a Seat Altea or a Saab 9-5??

Headroom isn't great in the back of those S-type's, and the boot is also very shallow.

The only thing the SAAB 9-5 has against it is reliability.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,451 ✭✭✭CharlieCroker

The Alfa 156 isn't allowed in saloon or estate and the 159 isn't allowed in estate

[QUOTE=VolvoMan;62456371
    The only thing the SAAB 9-5 has against it is reliability.[/QUOTE]

You are joking, right?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Volvoboy

junkyard wrote: »
    other than that the Carina E would be hard to beat too. Wouldn't recommend any modern Toyota unless it was a Jap import.

:D

You are joking, right?

No I'm not. The petrol engines in the 9-5 have been notorious for giving trouble and need oil changes regularly.

VolvoMan wrote: »
    No I'm not. The petrol engines in the 9-5 have been notorious for giving trouble and need oil changes regularly.

Indeed. I think there's more info on honestjohn.co.uk. I wouldn't touch a (recent-ish) Saab with a petrol engine unless it had a full service history.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭jayj224

The Alfa 156 isn't allowed in saloon or estate and the 159 isn't allowed in estate

Cars Like the Alfa and the Seat leon new model are not allowed be Taxi's due to the door handles on the back doors. They are hard for customers to see due to they way the car is designed.

Alfa_156_Sportwagon_rear_20080301.jpg

unkel wrote: »
    Indeed. I think there's more info on honestjohn.co.uk. I wouldn't touch a (recent-ish) Saab with a petrol engine unless it had a full service history.

It's just the 9-5's that should be avoided though. The engines in the 9-3 are GM units as far as I know, unlike the Triumph derived units in the 9-5.

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭joey54

A volvo S60, a good old barge for driving around in all day!

VolvoMan wrote: »
    It's just the 9-5's that should be avoided though. The engines in the 9-3 are GM units as far as I know, unlike the Triumph derived units in the 9-5.

Ah! Never knew Saab started to use GM 2l petrol engines.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭bbability

Merc E220 CDI Avantgarde or Skoda Superb 2.5TDI

joey54 wrote: »
    A volvo S60, a good old barge for driving around in all day!

Granted, it's a great car, but soon it will no longer be eligible for taxi use. The bigger S80 is though and that makes a fine taxi, especially in D5 form.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭cianclarke

BVB wrote: »
    eb4bc36d83f46675c9896b18c3f927d2.jpg

Any of theses :)
    Puts taxis to shame in this country. It really irritates me that it costs me the same to get from A to B in a brand new Mercedes S Class as it does in a 1990 Toyota Camry.
    In a whole pile of destinations on the continent - Amsterdam, Rotterdam, Malaga, most German cities all the taxis are very modern, generally luxury grade saloons - the random mish mash of taxis seen on the streets of Dublin really is unacceptable for the high price we're paying to get from A to B.
    Glad a step in the right direction has been taken, only allowing cars from the last 7 years..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

something for the airport run

15388-2006-Dodge-Magnum.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭WexCan

jayj224 wrote: »
    Cars Like the Alfa and the Seat leon new model are not allowed be Taxi's due to the door handles on the back doors. They are hard for customers to see due to they way the car is designed.

Could you not just put a little sign on with an arrow pointing to the handle?

Seems a bit mean to ban them just because of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭james116

u can't beat a transporter:D

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,731 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Real B-man

19226.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

Found the list in work a couple of weeks ago (still with the NCT:D), had a look through it.....and didn't know what to say.

Welcome to the crazy world of the Taxi Regulator, and you wonder why taxi drivers are complaining about her!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭Lord Nikon

A Skoda Superb...

Advertisement