Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Budget hairdressers in Dublin?

Options
  • 05-10-2009 11:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭

Any ideas anyone? I can't really afford to be spending 50 - 60 quid a go on a haircut..does anyone know anyone in Dublin city thats halfway decent that will do a good deal?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 404 ✭✭katiemaloe

Jazz hairdressers in Leixlip are fab. Nikki does really funky cuts and it costs €39. I know you were looking for city centre but it would be worth the trip out :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

When I was a student in Dublin I went to David Marshall on George's Street (left-hand side as you're going up) which is a hairdresser training place. Very nice job (ditto with the hairdressing school I went to in Cork when I was a student). The thing about getting your hair done by a trainee is they tend to be really careful since they're being assessed, and they get lots of supervision. Plus, if it gets difficult for them, one of the qualified hairdressers will take over, and you'll still just get charged the cheap rate - result! :D

Toni & Guy has a training place too - think it's on Dame Street. Make sure it's the actual schools you go to - Peter Mark has trainees working among its qualified staff but you still get charged the full rate. Although PM has some pretty good discounts/special offers on a continuous basis.

Yeh Dudess has it there, the schools are cheaper and you'll get a great cut. There is also a peter mark school on north earl st/talbot st.

Also 20% all off Peter Marks hairdressing. I'm not sure they're the best though but you could get worse!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭Blush_01

There's a Peter Mark place on the top level of the Stephen's Green shopping centre too - I think it was €10-€15 for a wash, cut and blowdry when I was a student. There's another trainee hairdressers place, near Insomnia on Little Catherine St. (the M&S side entrance into Jervis) but I can't remember the name. Also, there's a hairdresser's in the GPO Arcade, down at the Penneys end, ask them if they need models for cuts and colouring. The trainees are ridiculously good there, really amazing (best haircut I ever got amazing) and the day I was there I was in for a colouring session in the morning FOC, but when I was chatting to the girl doing my hair (the sister of a friend) she said she didn't have a model for the afternoon, and I offered to hang on, so they waived the fee - I think it was about €15, something pitifully small anyway.

The hairdressing schools are really fantastic, the biggest drawback is usually that the times aren't as flexible as in a regular salon - Peter Mark in Stephen's Green had two sittings each day Monday to Friday (this info is about three years old, so I don't know if it's been changed since), one at 10 and the other at 2. Well worth it though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭neuro-praxis

katiemaloe wrote: »
    Jazz hairdressers in Leixlip are fab. Nikki does really funky cuts and it costs €39. I know you were looking for city centre but it would be worth the trip out :)

I'm glad you've had a good experience here but this is one of the worst hairdressers I have ever been to in my life. Me and my two sisters in law went for pre-hen hair-dos and the three of us looked like a complete dogs' dinner when we were leaving: we were so embarrassed, annoyed and disappointed.

Also, two of the hairdressers there had an extremely poor appearance themselves, with greasy hair, split ends and roots showing. Avoid!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭Azureus

+1 on the hairdressing schools. I go to the House of Colour on Abbey st/Liffey st depending, and they are fantastic! Takes a lil longer than a usual haricut but youre guaranteed to get exactly what you want as theyre so careful plus if youre nervous theres always a teacher on hand. if theres any problems, theyll always be remedied by a pro!
    Its completely free for a full cut and blow dry, and then dirt cheap for colour-they only charge the price of the dye, think it was 15e or so. The only thing is they only have classes on certain days (Mon/Tues/Wed afaik) and appointments are always either at 10am or 2pm. Well worth it!

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭Selfheal

There's a Polish hairdressers on Patrick Street in Dun Laoghaire (Think it's called Olivia's but not sure but it's just down from Snow White laundry as you go up the street away from the church). I got a wash and a lovely cut there a few weeks back for €20. And I also had the option of a dry cut for €18...

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭jelly&icecream

I've gone to the place on Bachelors Walk the last few times I've needed a haircut...not sure what the name of it is. Its about 25 quid and they've always done a good job on me, not that I generally get anything too fancy done though.

Theres another place on North King st between Bolton St and the Church St junction thats around the same price. Dont think it even has a name! Haven't been there for a while but they were always very friendly and cut my hair as I asked

• Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭messrs

there is salon across from Bleeding Horse pub (just of Camden Street) and they are always looking for hair models - not sure of exact prices but they are cheap enough as far as i no

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

There's a chinese hairdressers right next to Tesco on Parnell Street that are pretty good, i think its about 30 quid for a haircut. I get mine blowdried there all the time and its at least 10 euro cheaper that most hairdressers. Also I would pop in to any Peter Marks and put your name down for classes, i have gotten half head and a haircut for less then 60 quid in some of those.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,556 ✭✭✭MizzLolly

I can't recommend Robert Chamber's (Liffey St) students enough. They are so good, they listen to everything you say and make sure they're doing exactly what you want. Plus, there's always a supervisor close by in case there's any questions. You get a great wash, cut and blowdry all for under €20. Absolutely brilliant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,488 ✭✭✭pikachucheeks

Has anyone had experience of highlights in any of these places?
    Need to get mine done and Cork is so far to go, to see my usual hairdresser :(

• Registered Users Posts: 8,375 ✭✭✭fonpokno

I went to the Robert Chambers Academy on Grafton Street about 3 weeks ago and got a great haircut. I think it was something like 18 euro and I've never been so happy with my fringe. It took longer than usual but it was worth it, the girl doing mine was having trouble with the layers so the teacher just came over and did them for her anyway. :)

Also I though it was pretty cool the way they ask exactly what you want, the student has to tell the teacher what they're doing and how they'll do it, the teacher will correct anything and then writes it on the mirror so they know exactly what's going on!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,900 ✭✭✭rannerap

MizzLolly wrote: »
    I can't recommend Robert Chamber's (Liffey St) students enough. They are so good, they listen to everything you say and make sure they're doing exactly what you want. Plus, there's always a supervisor close by in case there's any questions. You get a great wash, cut and blowdry all for under €20. Absolutely brilliant.

totally agree with this,have an appointment there tomorrow actually:)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭Novella

I am definitely gonna give a hairdressing school a try! Never heard of these before but I'm in need of a colour and I'm sick of spending around a hundred euro when I'll just change my hair again in a month or two! Great thread! I'll get back to here with the result when I get something done! :)

yeah you should!ive come out with better results than at a proper hairdressers ive paid a bomb for!:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,556 ✭✭✭MizzLolly

Oooh enjoy ;)
    Novella wrote: »
    I am definitely gonna give a hairdressing school a try! Never heard of these before but I'm in need of a colour and I'm sick of spending around a hundred euro when I'll just change my hair again in a month or two! Great thread! I'll get back to here with the result when I get something done! :)

Try Robert Chamber's School (if you're located in Dublin). They're very good!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 maria gstones

There is a L'Oreal school of hairdressing just beside harcourt St Luas stop , in the office block on the corner. Can't remember what the name of the building is, its just around the corner from D2 opposise where the Chocolate Factory used to be. The cuts and colours are all free since its classes. I used to go there when i was in college, but I think they are just 9-6 so its not so good for me now :-(

I have to say though any time I did go it was usually a class of experienced jhair dressers learning new techniques to the cuts, colours and hightlights were brill. Didn't have to pay for hair cuts for 4 years!

wooh new hair:D i seriously reccomend robert chambers!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,160 ✭✭✭✭banshee_bones

I can't recommend Robert Chamber's (Liffey St) students enough.Absolutely brilliant.
    fonpokno wrote: »
    I went to the Robert Chambers Academy on Grafton Street about 3 weeks ago and got a great haircut.
    Try Robert Chamber's School (if you're located in Dublin). They're very good!
    i seriously reccomend robert chambers!

Sorry to dig up an old thread but need to find a hairdressers in Dublin! And since ye seem to recommend this one i think il give it a shot, but i just googled them there and couldnt find out any info on the academy itself? I only got prices for their senior stylists? How much would highlights and a cut cost? has anyone got highlights at the academy?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭boscoroxx

Hair Inc on the corner of O'Connell Street and Bachelors Walk is amazing!! I got a full head meche for 67 euro! half head is 50 and t bar is 40! If you go Mon-Weds is 10/15 euro for a dry cut.
    I've been there 4 times and have never needed an appointment. Staff are very quick but I've always had an amazing result!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 becksylou

does anyone have the name and location of a good training academy for hairdressers in tallaght or thereabouts??? :p:D;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

I go to Just for Ladies I think it's called in the ifsc. I've been going there for a year and I'm still very happy with the cut I get. It seems to be €40 no matter who you get.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Blissfull

I know a girl running a one to one profesional service in blanchardstown , she has a website www.hairsensation.ie great value and she has a loyalty card service with money off!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭Novella

House of Colour are doing 10 euro hair cuts at the moment. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

This thread is quite old and from before we cracked down on threads that should probably be in Fashion and Appearance (or in this case maybe the Dublin forum)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement