Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sagem IDT81-SD picnic box

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭maxg

During afternoon reserve & collect was working and it was possible to reserve up to 3 boxes for Newry.
    If you want to be sure give your next currys a call.

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭rurs

Hello everyone, and thanks to maxg for the tip-off about this box.
    Just wondering about the MHEG5. It hasn't changed since Monday evening. Is this down to RTENL bring busy with other things, or is it a fault with the box?
    Similarly with the EPG (and clock in standby). I've seen mention of this with other boxes, fixed by changing the clock in the box. There's no option to do this with the Sagem, so is it down to RTENL to send out the right info, or is the Sagem unable to interpret what it gets properly?
    BTW, I'm tuned to Three Rock, although Kippure is good also, but more errors reported, though not really noticeable.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭pa990

any update on their availability in the newry shop?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 456 ✭✭mrdtv

pa990 wrote: »
    any update on their availability in the newry shop?

Just enter UTV's or BBC NI's postcode on their site. They are in stock.

rurs wrote: »
    Hello everyone, and thanks to maxg for the tip-off about this box.
    Just wondering about the MHEG5. It hasn't changed since Monday evening. Is this down to RTENL bring busy with other things, or is it a fault with the box?
    Similarly with the EPG (and clock in standby). I've seen mention of this with other boxes, fixed by changing the clock in the box. There's no option to do this with the Sagem, so is it down to RTENL to send out the right info, or is the Sagem unable to interpret what it gets properly?
    BTW, I'm tuned to Three Rock, although Kippure is good also, but more errors reported, though not really noticeable.

I see your location. Can you get Arfon analogue there? Because DTT starts from there next Wednesday at 0600, which means that is going to be a very handy bargain basement solution for Irish DTT trials and Freeview MPEG2 operational services if you are in range.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15 dmm10000

Hi folks
    anyone know what the latest firmware revision is ?
    are there "over the air updates" ongoing for this model or are there any downloads of firmware available whereby you could flash the firmware yourself ?

I can't get any UK analogue at the moment. I'm using an outdoor aeriel, indoors! A Blake's grid type, I think it's called. I have it lashed to a mic stand, at a window. I might try it outside, although I can also get the Greystones DTT tests reasonably well, even though the polarity is different, yet no analogue from there. Maybe the digital signals are more robust? I'll definitely try a scan on Wednesday.

In answer to my own query, MHEG-5 has updated, so I don't think there's any problem with the box, just sporadic tests from RTE.

dmm10000 wrote: »
    Hi folks
    anyone know what the latest firmware revision is ?
    are there "over the air updates" ongoing for this model or are there any downloads of firmware available whereby you could flash the firmware yourself ?

Software version given as V 0.24.29 in the technical information menu page.
    Also "Software Update: Unavailable":(
    The manual states the the AUX Scart functions as an RS232 port, so if you find firmware I'd guess you'd have to go this route. Wouldn't OTA updates need to be given to RTENL by Sagem? Can't imagine either of them would be bothered at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,331 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

I was heading to Sprucefield near Lisburn today so I called into the Currys shop in Sprucefield Park, on the left (west) of the Belfast Road.

I couldn't see the Sagem Picnic box on display with the Freeview decoders so I asked one of the floor staff, she walked me over to a computer terminal and after a few searches she found it - their system is dog slow. She wrote down the stock code (492096) and headed off to the store. When she came back she said that what stock they had was faulty, they'd been instructed to 'quarantine it' (her words) and they would not sell me one of them. She also volunteered that the stock in Newry was from the same batch and that I needn't bother trying to buy it there - I had told her I was from the south and wanted that exact model so she knew I would be passing the Newry store on the way home.

Naturally I hopped into the car and headed straight for the Newry store. There I did the same exercise with a member of staff, he found it on their system and walked me over to a shelf I hadn't checked, there was about six of the Picnic boxes on display so I grabbed two of them, paid and left. I was worried that they might refuse to sell them but I had no problem at the checkout desk.

The Currys store in Newry is in a shopping centre called the Danolly Retail Park on the Armagh Road, it's very close to a roundabout on the Newry bypass (Belfast Road) known as McCann's Corner, this appears at the top of the large sign you'll see as you approach the roundabout if you're on the bypass. Heading towards Belfast on the bypass you'll see signs for Currys and McDonalds on your right. If you're in Newry town then head for the Armagh road and you'll see it on the right. SatNav N54.19122 W6.35013 will get you there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 679 ✭✭✭polyfusion

Did anyone notice all the blue stickers plastered over the boxes? Anyone know what's been hidden?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭STB

Probably the HDMI Port that isnt wired ?

Or maybe as these boxes are not being supported by Sky as the service didnt go ahead.

Either way its clear that they are being dumped at these prices by all three.

They are also available in stock to reserve and pick up at PCWorld for the same price in Derry, Newtownabbey, Sprucefield and Lisburn in NI.

Threre is a white rectangular sticker on the back with a serial number and a couple of barcodes, there are two tiny square holes underneath the sticker but no HDMI port, it's not a HD device anyway, there are two SCART sockets for TV & VCR.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭lawhec

polyfusion wrote: »
    Did anyone notice all the blue stickers plastered over the boxes? Anyone know what's been hidden?
    I believe that it was "details" for the Picnic DTT service that Sky were looking to go ahead with which are not now relevant, hence why this STB is referred to as "Picnic Ready".

Sorry, I meant the cardboard box that the set-top box comes in.

You're probaby right lawhec. I began peeling one off, but it looks like they've used the type of sticker that takes off half the box while its at it.

Anyway, not bad for the price. Was afraid I was going to push the scart connection off the back of the mainboard trying to get it on, as it's a bit on the flimsy side. Trying it out near Bundoran, in full sight of Truskmore, Irish channels look good. Using an amplified loft grid aerial getting perfect UK analogue from Brougher mountain, but seemingly right on the edge of it's digital penetration into the Republic; aerial needs to be guy-lined into precise position to get anything from the higher power muxes, but not getting a sniff of the 2 lower powered muxes.

• Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭byrnefm

Using an amplified loft grid aerial getting perfect UK analogue from Brougher mountain, but seemingly right on the edge of it's digital penetration into the Republic; aerial needs to be guy-lined into precise position to get anything from the higher power muxes, but not getting a sniff of the 2 lower powered muxes.

From what is mentioned at http://www.ukfree.tv/txdetail.php?a=IH350527, it seems that Brougher Mountain is only transmitting at 500w in DTT mode, which is probably why it's so hard to get a decent signal at all across the Border. Having said that, my brother got just about watchable BBC from a portable antenna between Kilcar and Killybegs (by the "Blue Haven" restaurant)! The mountains don't help, either...

byrnefm wrote: »
    From what is mentioned at http://www.ukfree.tv/txdetail.php?a=IH350527, it seems that Brougher Mountain is only transmitting at 500w in DTT mode, which is probably why it's so hard to get a decent signal at all across the Border. Having said that, my brother got just about watchable BBC from a portable antenna between Kilcar and Killybegs (by the "Blue Haven" restaurant)! The mountains don't help, either...

You need an outdoor high performance Yagi for the current Brougher DTT ERP, not a loft antenna grid with poor gain. At DSO Brougher will be 20kW ERP (DTT equivalent to current analogue 100kW, which is why your current analogue is excellent.) See the Welsh DSO thread for a detailed discussion of antennas.

mrdtv wrote: »
    You need an outdoor high performance Yagi for the current Brougher DTT ERP, not a loft antenna grid with poor gain. At DSO Brougher will be 20kW ERP (DTT equivalent to current analogue 100kW, which is why your current analogue is excellent.) See the Welsh DSO thread for a detailed discussion of antennas.

Thanks for the info. I'll have a look at the Welsh thread later on.

Did some experiments yesterday, but barely getting a sniff of the Brougher DTT with a 52 element high gain Yagi (one of these aerials. It gets the analogue ok, but not as good as the 4 element grid aerial. Tried both amplified and unamplified, and outside, but got nothing, just the odd sniff of sound. Works perfect for Truskmore.

I'll have a look at the thread and see if I can pick up some tips. At least I'll be able to use the Sagem when I go back to Dublin.

Thanks for the info. I'll have a look at the Welsh thread later on.

Did some experiments yesterday, but barely getting a sniff of the Brougher DTT with a 52 element high gain Yagi (one of these aerials. It gets the analogue ok, but not as good as the 4 element grid aerial. Tried both amplified and unamplified, and outside, but got nothing, just the odd sniff of sound. Works perfect for Truskmore.

I'll have a look at the thread and see if I can pick up some tips. At least I'll be able to use the Sagem when I go back to Dublin.

That looks like a wideband aerial: notoriously poor performers on Group A channels which Brougher is. That's why the analogue was inferior too. See www.aerialsandtv.co.uk for a discussion.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭winston_1

Hi, I'm the guy on DS who did the tests from Wales.
    Just like to clear up a couple of things re putting the channels in the 800's and the clock display. Neither of these are the fault of RTE.

Most UK Freeview boxes put foreign channels in the 800's. I've tried this box on French channels from the UK south coast and they also get put in the 800's. The famous Woolworths worthit box puts French channels in the correct place if its an early one but the last ones sold with the latest software put French channels in the 700's above the radio channels.

Re the clock display. With French channels the Sagam sets the clock to GMT as with the Irish channels. Not sure why this as other Freeview boxes set French time on French channels. Presumably next week after the clocks go back it will show the correct time until next spring at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 foxire

I bought a Picnic Box from Curry's by telephone and it was delivered by DHL.

I get great pictures from RTE1, RTE2, and TG4. They are solid and very clear compared with the analogue reception. I get the signal from Cairn Hill in Longford and I live in the Mid Tyrone area. On TV3 I first got the test card and then recently I got full reception.

The signal strength was between 47% and 52% on all three channels and the signal quality was 97% on all three. These channels are every bit as good a reception as BBC NI. I get the BBC signal from Brougher mountain. The signal strength of the BBC is 46% and picture quality 98%.

There is a slight fault with the box. When I switch it on the digital signal will not come on. It will not respond to pressing any of the buttons on the remote control except the red on/off button. The analogue signal stays on. When I press the on/off red button at the top and press some of the other buttons it will come on with the digital signal. On some other occasions it will not respond to pressing any of the buttons on the remote control even the red on/off button. This might only happen once a night. I switch it off at the socket and on again and it is back to normal again. But I have to do as above - press the red on/off button and press some of the other buttons before digital picture comes on.

These problems are only minor. Has anybody else encountered any problems?

I had an old STB but I only could get RTE in sound only. The digital BBC picture on the Picnic box is far superior to the picture I was getting on the old STB box.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭stam

I hope to get my hands on few of these boxs this week can you tell me are these boxs working a 100% as i see the last post is having a few problems and where is the best currys to go to in the north for these thanks

foxire wrote: »
    There is a slight fault with the box. When I switch it on the digital signal will not come on. It will not respond to pressing any of the buttons on the remote control except the red on/off button. The analogue signal stays on. When I press the on/off red button at the top and press some of the other buttons it will come on with the digital signal.

I don't think this is a fault. When you switch on the power to the unit, it's probably like booting a PC, it's finding settings, channels, favorites, EPG details and time and so on. It displays "init" on the display while doing this, then goes into standby, with the clock displayed. Then when you press the standby button, it will then start decoding the signal and send it to the TV.

Analogue will stay on because it's looped through the unit.

I haven't noticed the other problem you mentioned. Is the unit in a well ventilated place?

stam wrote: »
    where is the best currys to go to in the north for these thanks

Currys in Damolly Retail Park Newry is the closest to Dublin, stay on the Belfast road which takes you on to the Newry bypass, when you get to a roundabout called McCann's Corner you'll see the shopping centre on the right.

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭Aepos

Hi all,
    Got one in Currys Newry last Thursday, I reserved one on line. they only hold until the end of business the next working day. When filling in the form it will not recognise an ROI phone number so I used their own number with a digit changed. :rolleyes:

The yoke works just fine, originally had an hour out of sync problem but that has sorted itself out since the time change this AM. :D

Enjoy. AE

• Registered Users Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭winston_1

stam wrote: »
    I hope to get my hands on few of these boxs this week can you tell me are these boxs working a 100% as i see the last post is having a few problems and where is the best currys to go to in the north for these thanks

The only problems are the Irish channels are put in the 800's. You can't move them or change the order.

In standby the clock shows GMT when Irish channels are stored. Not a problem in winter, a bit annoying in summer. Not sure what happens if both UK and Irish channels are stored.

Can't help re stock in the north as I'm based in London.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭lawhec

Above video shows the Sagem IDT81 browsing channels from both sides of the border with TG4 & TV3 teletext and RTÉ MHEG Aertel.

foxire wrote: »
    I bought a Picnic Box from Curry's by telephone and it was delivered by DHL.

I get great pictures from RTE1, RTE2, and TG4. They are solid and very clear compared with the analogue reception. I get the signal from Cairn Hill in Longford and I live in the Mid Tyrone area. On TV3 I first got the test card and then recently I got full reception.

The signal strength was between 47% and 52% on all three channels and the signal quality was 97% on all three. These channels are every bit as good a reception as BBC NI. I get the BBC signal from Brougher mountain. The signal strength of the BBC is 46% and picture quality 98%.

There is a slight fault with the box. When I switch it on the digital signal will not come on. It will not respond to pressing any of the buttons on the remote control except the red on/off button. The analogue signal stays on. When I press the on/off red button at the top and press some of the other buttons it will come on with the digital signal. On some other occasions it will not respond to pressing any of the buttons on the remote control even the red on/off button. This might only happen once a night. I switch it off at the socket and on again and it is back to normal again. But I have to do as above - press the red on/off button and press some of the other buttons before digital picture comes on.

These problems are only minor. Has anybody else encountered any problems?

I had an old STB but I only could get RTE in sound only. The digital BBC picture on the Picnic box is far superior to the picture I was getting on the old STB box.

Very interesting. What kind of aerial systems are you using. BTW that Sagem box reads out the C/N ratio in the signal information page: do you know what it is as that is the most important parameter. It would be nice to know for Brougher Mt and Cairn Hill. I agree that's an excellent MPEG4 bargain basement STB.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭sesswhat

A few readings from the RTE Mux from Holywell Hill and Freeview Mux D from Limavady. You can see that the Network is identified as RTE NL for both, maybe because this mux is scanned first?

I'm near Ballybofey, 40km from Holywell Hill and 65km from Limavady. The aerial is a flat grid with Fringe mast-head amplifier.

I included a couple of pics of the connections at the back of the box as I haven't seen any here.

sesswhat wrote: »
    A few readings from the RTE Mux from Holywell Hill and Freeview Mux D from Limavady. You can see that the Network is identified as RTE NL for both, maybe because this mux is scanned first?

I'm near Ballybofey, 40km from Holywell Hill and 65km from Limavady. The aerial is a flat grid with Fringe mast-head amplifier.

I included a couple of pics of the connections at the back of the box as I haven't seen any here.

This display tells you a lot:

a) Your RTE reception is OK but marginal, with very few errors. The C/N fail point for 64QAM in the real world is approx 20dB

b) Your Mux D 16QAM reception is acceptable, has some errors. The C/N fail point for 16QAM is about 14dB so there is very good reception margin. Do you get all muxes for Limavady or only a few?

Others who have this box can similarly interrogate their receiver: the results from Welsh DTT reception would be most illuminating.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭sesswhat

mrdtv wrote: »
    a) Your RTE reception is OK but marginal, with very few errors. The C/N fail point for 64QAM in the real world is approx 20dB

b) Your Mux D 16QAM reception is acceptable, has some errors. The C/N fail point for 16QAM is about 14dB so there is very good reception margin. Do you get all muxes for Limavady or only a few?

Good to know what to aim for when adjusting the antenna set up.

I get all the Limavady muxes except for Mux 2 (C58). This is obliterated by the local Ballybofey Tx which unfortunately is almost in line with Limavady. I get all the missing channels through a FTA sat system anyway so it's not a big loss.

Overall, this seems to be a good enough box, although I have to say the picture seems to be darker than that from some other Freeview equipment when using the same leads. The interface looks dated but the software works well and I presume the recording timer can be used to make sure the box is on and set up on the right channel for recording to a DVD recorder or VCR through Scart. I haven't noticed any problems but then I haven't used it much.

I only bought it as a cheap way to try out the mpeg4 RTE Mux. It won't be replacing the existing Freeview PVR under my main TV but I'll certainly be using it for World Cup games and other events on RTE and TG4 if the tests continue. It is also the first time I have ever seen a decent picture on terrestrial TV3 anywhere in Donegal (now that I've seen it though, I'll just continue to never watch it).

All we need now is a PVR version at a similar bargain basement price :).

Advertisement