Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your Predictions for the Economy Post Lisbon

Options
  • 03-10-2009 7:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 350 ✭✭

How do you think the economy will fare after Lisbon.

Are the mainstream parties right in that ratification of Lisbon will lead to economic recovery, a reduction in unemployment and more jobs?

Unfortunately I think the economy will not be effected by ratification.

Your thoughts?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

More confidence in the economy, especially amongst consumers, can never be a bad thing.

Even if people thought "Ok, Lisbon is through now, things will get better", they'll start acting differently to when they thought the whole world was ****ed, and the economy can only benefit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭ei.sdraob

Minimum wage €1.84?

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 350 ✭✭free-man

Rb wrote: »
    More confidence in the economy, especially amongst consumers, can never be a bad thing.

Even if people thought "Ok, Lisbon is through now, things will get better", they'll start acting differently to when they thought the whole world was ****ed, and the economy can only benefit.

So you think the economy will improve due to the Lisbon Yes?

When do you feel this is likely to happen?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 932 ✭✭✭PaulieD

-Massive cuts across the board.
    -Nama will pass.
    -Over 550,000 on the scratcher by mid spring.
    -Intel to leave to eastern europe.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 26 deathofan80sman

The economy will improve no matter what.....Lisbon supporters will give the credit to the treaty. Lisbon changes nothing about the economy here. FF are still on the board of management after years of negligence.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭Fuhrer

free-man wrote: »
    So you think the economy will improve due to the Lisbon Yes?

When do you feel this is likely to happen?

Heres a wild idea...

Investment?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,289 ✭✭✭dresden8

PaulieD wrote: »
    -Massive cuts across the board.
    -Nama will pass.
    -Over 550,000 on the scratcher by mid spring.
    -Intel to leave to eastern europe.;)

Shortly after NAMA passes and the banks have got their money, they will start on the house re-possessions.

Expect massive mortgage and credit card default.

And the need for more bank capitalisation.

Europe better hurry up with those jobs.

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭vinylbomb

Well, it would appear that those better informed than me would think that things will get better. Not today, not tomorrow but bit by bit in the future so I'm happy to trust them.

http://www.indecon.ie/download/pdf/aw_lisbon_sept.pdf

Paulie, have you any sources for your predictions?

• Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭Carstuck

It won't make any difference. Companies will continue to close and employees will continue to lose jobs.

vinylbomb wrote: »

Paulie, have you any sources for your predictions?

Declan Ganley told him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 796 ✭✭✭eoinbn

Are the mainstream parties right in that ratification of Lisbon will lead to economic recovery, a reduction in unemployment and more jobs?

Lets not be childish and naive about this. Lisbon is about strengthening Europe which in turn should be good for us. It's not some gravy train that was designed so that Ireland could hold europe to randsom with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 695 ✭✭✭RealityCheck

Lisbon wont matter a whole lot. We have to get ourselves out of the current mess we are in. There will be no white night to rescue us. We have to engineer ourselves into a country worth investing in. Lisbon wont do much in that regard. We have to get the fundamentals right first.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,068 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

I wonder if the 'rewards' for Irelands Yes vote will still be forthcoming if Klaus & Cameron manage to scupper Lisbon

or will we be 'punished' for what choices they make...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 695 ✭✭✭RealityCheck

I wonder if the 'rewards' for Irelands Yes vote will still be forthcoming if Klaus & Cameron manage to scupper Lisbon

or will we be 'punished' for what choices they make...

We definately wont be punished should that occur. We will quickly be forgotten about.
    What rewards are we expecting ? All countries will soon have ratified Lisbon, what makes us so special out of the 27 ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

The economy, sweeping cuts, more tax and hope the worldwide economy picks up as Lisbon makes no difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

Nothing's going to happen to the economy, sure we all knew it was lies :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭conchubhar1

sweet f.a effect.

It will coincide with an upturn in the economy - as did fianna fáils tenure in govt on the whole and will therefore be grabbed and a victory by political parties.

It is wholly coincidental tho.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

Carstuck wrote: »
    It won't make any difference. Companies will continue to close and employees will continue to lose jobs.

That's not what Lenihan & Co promised; did you not see the posters ?

"Yes to jobs" was what they said, and the scum had better damn well deliver.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭ei.sdraob

Considering Lisbon wasnt ratified yet in all countries

we wont know the affects until well after

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭Elba101

When i leave my €1.84 p/h job to go get my abortion because i've thrown my freedom away then my faith in the Lisbon treaty will be solidifed.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 932 ✭✭✭PaulieD

dresden8 wrote: »
    Shortly after NAMA passes and the banks have got their money, they will start on the house re-possessions.

Expect massive mortgage and credit card default.

And the need for more bank capitalisation.

Europe better hurry up with those jobs.

It would be funny if it wasnt so true. We had one chance to get Fianna Fail out and save the country. We blew it.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

PaulieD wrote: »
    It would be funny if it wasnt so true. We had one chance to get Fianna Fail out and save the country. We blew it.

Wait I thought this was a referendum on an EU treaty but you seem to think it was a general election. I'm confused :confused:

Sam Vimes wrote: »
    Wait I thought this was a referendum on an EU treaty but you seem to think it was a general election. I'm confused :confused:

Yeah, thats generally the reaction to his posts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭granite man

ei.sdraob wrote: »
    Considering Lisbon wasnt ratified yet in all countries

we wont know the affects until well after

Well after what exactly?
    After x amount of faceless families have lost their homes and savings?
    After another x amount of people have lost their jobs due to the continuing high cost of doing business here?
    After the IMF (with europes blessing) has decided the only way to make Ireland competitive again is by fecking half the public service out of work and creating an economic structure where we'll be delighted to work for next to nothing? The minimum wage won't matter because people will have to work for pennies just to feed themselves.
    After they've started building armament factories in Ireland to kill humans in a different country (hardly effects our neutrality if we're only sponsoring the killing, not commiting the act ourselves.)
    After any social outbursts(street protests, strikes, riots etc) are quelled by a EU special reserve police force?

I'd say once this treaty gets ratified you'll see the true face of what you have very foolishly voted in.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

After any social outbursts(street protests, strikes, riots etc) are quelled by a EU special reserve police force?

Where might this EU special reserve police force come from? :confused:

Any one of the member states. I'll take it you didn't read up before voting? This is the bit where member states must all fall in line in times of 'terrorism' (whatever the definition is at the perceived time) and someone needing a bit of a dig out. The dig out is obviously laymans terms but its a bit easier to understand than the lawyerspeak on the document.

Any one of the member states. I'll take it you didn't read up before voting? This is the bit where member states must all fall in line in times of 'terrorism' (whatever the definition is at the perceived time) and someone needing a bit of a dig out. The dig out is obviously laymans terms but its a bit easier to understand than the lawyerspeak on the document.

Sounds very sinister now, doesnt it?

No more sinister than yesterday or the day before. Its all before us my friend.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

Any one of the member states. I'll take it you didn't read up before voting?

Yeah I did, could you point out the section establishing the secret reserve EU police though? I must've missed it.

• Advertisement

No more sinister than yesterday or the day before. Its all before us my friend.

You know where the secret police are headquatered?

Sounds like a good job, might apply.

Advertisement