Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Reasons to vote NO to Lisbon

Options
1235»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭Irish and Proud

marco_polo wrote: »
    No half truth at all, except those posted by you. The Posting of Workers Directive is very clear that the minimum legal conditions of the destination country where a worker is poster must be applied to all workers temporarly working in a country. For a Foreign constrution worker here that legal rate is the same as an Irish construction worker.

Under no circumstances may the terms and conditions of the worker country of orign be applied in another EU state, unless those terms are higher than the legal minimum in the destination country. (ie your cannot be forced to take a temporary pay cut while abroad either)

In the laval judgement the Sweedish minimum wage was effectively 0 as the collective agreements were not llegally binding, the Latvian workers rate in at home was higher than 0 hence they could be paid the country of origin rate.

To repeat again we have both a minimum wage and a range of legally binding collective agreements lodged in the Labour court.

Ok I take your word for it, but right or wrong, clarification was needed on this matter. I'm doing my duty here!

On a side note, my posts are intended to provoke discussion from both the Yes and No sides in order to clarify issues. This is clearly not happening on many threads in this forum which is worrying (same thing happened with Lisbon 1). I take it that your are telling the truth, but as you know, answers can raise other questions relating to the core issue (in this case, wages). Discussions should always be fairly balanced!

Regards!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭Irish and Proud

marco_polo wrote: »
    Because once you subtract all the imaginary stuff that is not actually in there at all, it is not particularly signifigant.

Look, if people want a say in EU matters, they should have a say!!!

That is democracy - politicians are paid (too much I must say!) to serve their people - that they are not doing!!!

I am not against the EU, I'm against the EU politicians, and what they are doing!

Regards!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,155 ✭✭✭PopeBuckfastXVI

On a side note, my posts are intended to provoke discussion from both the Yes and No sides in order to clarify issues.

Why couch them in the form of genuine queries then? Pretty dishonest to pretend to be asking a question, when you are actually either are not interested in or already know the answer and instead trying to 'provoke' a discussion.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

Look, if people want a say in EU matters, they should have a say!!!

That is democracy - politicians are paid (too much I must say!) to serve their people - that they are not doing!!!

I am not against the EU, I'm against the EU politicians, and what they are doing!

Regards!

That is direct democracy, we have a system of representative democracy. Most attempts at direct democracy have failed miserably, although Switzerland seems to have worked something out. Our governments decide issues for us every day, that's why we pay them. Ireland is very peculiar in having referendums on treaties like this. It's no more undemocratic to ratify it through parliament than it was to bring in the smoking ban without a referendum, which arguably directly effected people's lives more than this treaty will

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

Zulu wrote: »
    3. The British Nazi party (UKIP) want you to.

4. A fundamentalist Christian party who are against homosexuality & family planning want you to.

Huh? If we're going by that logic, Fianna Fail wants you to vote yes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

Huh? If we're going by that logic, Fianna Fail wants you to vote yes.
    I don't like FF, but if it's a choice between them and UKIP and the bullshit lies spouted by the no brigade...

Advertisement