Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Observations of a swing voter

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

Sleipnir wrote: »
    Correct me if I'm wrong (please, I'll be voting later on!) but I thought we would keep our Commissioner if the treaty is not ratified anyway?

Not so. Under Nice, the number of commissioners has to be reduced. There would be an Irish commissioner some of the time, but there would also be times when it is, in effect, Ireland's turn to stand aside and not nominate a commissioner.

A quibble: it's never "our" commissioner; it's a commissioner nominated or proposed by our government, but who is bound to act as a European commissioner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭moondogspot

marco_polo wrote: »
    Having seen the gap between what is actually in the treaty and what you think is, that is not overtly surprising.

You're a smart man in your own mind..that's about it though.;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 181 ✭✭Tarobot

In your opinion that is. I personally think it's kissing democracy goodbye.
    Um..I don't see how.
    Sleipnir wrote: »
    Correct me if I'm wrong (please, I'll be voting later on!) but I thought we would keep our Commissioner if the treaty is not ratified anyway?
    No. Under Nice rules, the Commission has to be made up of less than 27 Commissioners.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,738 ✭✭✭smokingman

Have to agree with the OP, if anyone was undecided, any research no matter how tiny would expose the lies we were told this time and last.

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭poochiem

I'm voting Yes and I'd like to say that's largely due to the well argued threads and the information from a couple of the more balanced moderators and contributors like Scofflaw and Sam Vimes.

It is unfortunate that many of you are so bloody aggressive though - I know this is a bit glasscock, as they say, but time and time again some undecided or no voter would ask a legitimate question and the immediate response is 'Lie' followed by - well you all know what I'm talking about. Just because these kind of forums are anonymous doesn't mean you should carry on other than you would trying to explain something to a friend in a pub.

Moderate yourselves and stop being so damned self-righteous, you win nobody over that way.

Thanks for the info and the advice and keep up the good boarding (some of you).

Paul

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Kick the governments ass at the next election, vote on the Lisbon Treaty today.

PS: 'I just cant make a decision, like an ass between two haystacks.' is the best simile I've ever read on boards.
    I haven't offered an opinion on the Treaty for digestion but I'm definitely in favour of kicking the government's ass at the next election.

Pro or con, I'd agree with the above.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,209 ✭✭✭ixtlan

I do think that Ireland needs Europe [although I am still quite pissed off about the new lightbulb regulations coming into effect, that really is ripping the dick out of over regulation]

Note, that the lightbulbs regulation was pushed by the Irish government (the Greens) and the EUs input was to hold us back in our ban until they had put an EU-wide one into effect.

On the issue of the double-vote it's worth pointing out that a few months ago the public voted in 12 pro-Lisbon MEPs out of 13, all of whom were in favour of another vote.

EDIT!!! This campaign is getting to me... 11 pro-Lisbon out of 12!! We did of course drop one MEP...

Ix

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭ei.sdraob

meglome wrote: »
    It didn't take me long to realise the almost the entire No campaign was based on a lie, or rather many many lies. Many No voters did have valid concerns and I'm not suggesting otherwise. It was just the No campaign itself was a bunch of liars. It really píssed me off, I have a pet hate about liars. Especially ones that are basically lying to my face, it so fúcking disrespectful to people.

I sure hope more people can see that

while politicians do lie, the NO campaign has fallen/sunk to a new depth of an abysmal craphole

yes there are NO posters here who can reason and write well and maybe stop and think quite a good few times, but the majority of the tripe is way over the top

/

• Registered Users Posts: 7,980 ✭✭✭meglome

ixtlan wrote: »
    On the issue of the double-vote it's worth pointing out that a few months ago the public voted in 12 pro-Lisbon MEPs out of 13, all of whom were in favour of another vote.

Ix

That's a very good point that people shouldn't forget. There were many more No campaigners who didn't get elected so the people have spoken.
    ei.sdraob wrote: »
    I sure hope more people can see that

while politicians do lie, the NO campaign has fallen/sunk to a new depth of an abysmal craphole

Yeah me too. Still an awful lot of lies going around though.

Advertisement