Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shocking Lisbon Related Taxi Driver Action

Options
  • 01-10-2009 10:09pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭

* Mods please feel free to move to an appropriate section if in the wrong area.

My wife just reported to me that a friend of hers was in a taxi and its driver asked what way the customer was voting tomorrow.
    The customer (her friend) replied with an answer (one that shouldn't have been given in all honesty) the driver did not like, he stopped the car, jumped out, opened the passenger car door and told the customer to get out enraged.

Is this what this country has come to? Bully and thugish tactics to advocate and bully others to vote in another direction.
    My god, its disgusting!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭w00t

Biggins wrote: »

Is this what this country has come to? Bully and thugish tactics to advocate and bully others to vote in another direction.
    My god, its disgusting!

Where have you been for the last and current Referendum? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 20,939 ✭✭✭✭Stark

I take it the taximan was voting No then :)

⛥ ̸̱̼̞͛̀̓̈́͘#C̶̼̭͕̎̿͝R̶̦̮̜̃̓͌O̶̬͙̓͝W̸̜̥͈̐̾͐Ṋ̵̲͔̫̽̎̚͠ͅT̸͓͒͐H̵͔͠È̶̖̳̘͍͓̂W̴̢̋̈͒͛̋I̶͕͑͠T̵̻͈̜͂̇Č̵̤̟̑̾̂̽H̸̰̺̏̓ ̴̜̗̝̱̹͛́̊̒͝⛥

• Closed Accounts Posts: 684 ✭✭✭Denis Irwin

My wife just reported to me that a friend of hers was in a taxi and its driver asked what way the customer was voting tomorrow.
    The customer (her friend) replied with an answer (one that shouldn't have been given in all honesty) the driver did not like, he stopped the car, jumped out, opened the passenger car door and told the customer to get out enraged.

My god, its disgusting!

Did she get his plate number and report him to the releveant people ?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

w00t wrote: »
    Where have you been for the last and current Referendum? :D
    Hiding in my bunker. ;)
    Stark wrote: »
    I take it the taximan was voting No then :)

Unfair to say before the vote tomorrow. After the vote is over (and polls close but before an announcement is made to the outcome of the vote), I will say.
    Did she get his plate number and report him to the releveant people ?

The person is genuinely looking into it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

This has to be a No voter, I presume?

Did she get his details i.e reg/driver number?

I'd tell a taxi driver to mind his business if he pryed in such a way, given that taxi drivers generally aren't the smartest people in society, it will only lead one direction.

It doesn't help that he would have absolutely nothing to back up his ill-informed rant about.

Admittedly I don't know whether I could keep cool in such a situation. Dumb ape.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,183 ✭✭✭Thinkingaboutit

Given the amounts of taxis about, I'd have thought he'd be happy with the custom.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

maybe she should find out where his rank is and blockade it at 2 am on saturday. See how they like it!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,212 ✭✭✭Mrmoe

I wouldn't be surprised if he was voting yes , but that is pure speculation. If the OP does not post what the taxi driver was going to vote for this thread will be full of idle speculation. To use anecdotal evidence to portray an entire side of a campaign is ill informed and dangerous. This story is third hand already and could easily become a Chinese whisper.

Rb wrote: »

I'd tell a taxi driver to mind his business if he pryed in such a way, given that taxi drivers generally aren't the smartest people in society, it will only lead one direction.

It doesn't help that he would have absolutely nothing to back up his ill-informed rant about.

Admittedly I don't know whether I could keep cool in such a situation. Dumb ape.

Thats rich.

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 16,480 ✭✭✭✭nullzero

That's disgraceful behaviour.
    Just because someone doesn't agree with your opinion doesn't mean you can carry on like that.
    I'm a No voter, and it's worrying to me that a lot of people would assume that I would support that sort of behaviour because of my stance on Lisbon.
    That man deserves all that he has coming to him, I am of course assuming it will be taken further as it should.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭ei.sdraob

Mrmoe wrote: »
    I wouldn't be surprised if he was voting yes , but that is pure speculation. If the OP does not post what the taxi driver was going to vote for this thread will be full of idle speculation. To use anecdotal evidence to portray an entire side of a campaign is ill informed and dangerous. This story is third hand already and could easily become a Chinese whisper.

On my personal honour and word, the event is true.
    In order NOT to taint either side of the YES/NO side before poll closure, I respectfully not say what way the driver and the customer was voting.

My main point is that irrespective of what way they were on sides, its a disgusting action of behalf of the driver.

I have already stated that I will say what way each were voting - but after the polls close. I think that is the right thing to do.
    (..and for the record, I personally know taxi drivers that are separately voting either way.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Never give an opinion within earshot of a taxi driver.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,715 ✭✭✭marco murphy

I have to question the valdity of this story .

Hiding in my bunker. ;)

Unfair to say before the vote tomorrow. After the vote is over (and polls close but before an announcement is made to the outcome of the vote), I will say.

The person is genuinely looking into it.

Wish I had a bunker to hide in :(

Good on your friend for perusing this, regardless of the Question/Answer. Taxi drivers had a code they should be abiding by.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,939 ✭✭✭✭Stark

I don't think the media moritorium applies to boards btw.

⛥ ̸̱̼̞͛̀̓̈́͘#C̶̼̭͕̎̿͝R̶̦̮̜̃̓͌O̶̬͙̓͝W̸̜̥͈̐̾͐Ṋ̵̲͔̫̽̎̚͠ͅT̸͓͒͐H̵͔͠È̶̖̳̘͍͓̂W̴̢̋̈͒͛̋I̶͕͑͠T̵̻͈̜͂̇Č̵̤̟̑̾̂̽H̸̰̺̏̓ ̴̜̗̝̱̹͛́̊̒͝⛥

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

My god, its disgusting!

So, drama aside, did she say no or whimper yes?
    If it was yes, i would have fckd her out too.
    Whingey, wussy sycophants the lot of them.

mike65 wrote: »
    Never give an opinion within earshot of a taxi driver.
    Absolutely, because they're going to have an opinion on it, and it's not going to be filled with facts.

I have to question the validity of this story .

...and that is understandable.
    I just ask you to have some trust that its true. It is.
    I would really NOT trust me if I came out and stated beforehand the exact way either was voting.
    My motivations would have been rightly suspect if I stated the corresponding Yes/No direction of either before the polls close.

Again, the actions of one to another is the main source of contention here.
    NOT the way each was voting.

I would really NOT trust me if I came out and stated beforehand the exact way either was voting.
    My motivations would have been rightly suspect if I stated the corresponding Yes/No direction of either before the polls close.

As asked, drama merchant or delete your thread.

(Ie, who cares, either way it was a nutjob)

• Advertisement

w00t wrote: »
    Thats rich.

:rolleyes:
    You clearly don't use taxis often so.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,212 ✭✭✭Mrmoe

On my personal honour and word, the event is true.
    In order NOT to taint either side of the YES/NO side before poll closure, I respectfully not say what way the driver and the customer was voting.

My main point is that irrespective of what way they were on sides, its a disgusting action of behalf of the driver.

I have already stated that I will say what way each were voting - but after the polls close. I think that is the right thing to do.
    (..and for the record, I personally know taxi drivers that are separately voting either way.)

I didn't mean do disrespect your character as you appear to me to be an honest and good man. The point I was trying to make is that stories like these without all the facts can take on a life of their own. I believe you when you say it is true.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,715 ✭✭✭marco murphy

Again, the actions of one to another is the main source of contention here.
    NOT the way each was voting.

The taxi driver is a nutbag then.

Mrmoe wrote: »
    I didn't mean do disrespect your character as you appear to me to be an honest and good man. The point I was trying to make is that stories like these without all the facts can take on a life of their own. I believe you when you say it is true.

I don't.

I belive it was related to him that way but he wasn't ther so...

gambiaman wrote: »
    As asked, drama merchant or delete your thread.

(Ie, who cares, either way it was a nutjob)

Again, AFTER the polls close, I will state for the record what way either was voting.
    As for credibility to the episode, AFTER the polls close, I will also post a DIRECT link to another Irish website where the other half of those thrown out comments and says how they were treated.
    One can check the time and date of the posting for accuracy etc.
    MODS: if you wish I can give ye a direct link now if desired to judge the event mentioned to me.

I don't have time not the willingness to dramatise events!
    Such actions would ruin my known name and reputation now and in the course of future local and national events.
    So I post only accurately. I'll leave any lies to someone else and there has been enough of them thrown around by both sides of this Lisbon debate!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭McTigs

In fairness the way this thread is going you're tainting both sides by not telling us.

The media moritorium doesn't apply here and we needn't flatter ourselves into thinking that a thread on boards is gonna sway the national vote one way or the other

g'wan tell us!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭Red Hand

Whisper it in my ear, go on.

Again, AFTER the polls close, I will state for the record what way either was voting.
    As for credibility to the episode, AFTER the polls close, I will also post a DIRECT link to another Irish website where the other half of those thrown out comments and says how they were treated.
    One can check the time and date of the posting for accuracy etc.
    MODS: if you wish I can give ye a direct link now if desired to judge the event mentioned to me.

I don't have time not the willingness to dramatise events!
    Such actions would ruin my known name and reputation now and in the course of future local and national events.
    So I post only accurately. I'll leave any lies to someone else and there has been enough of them thrown around by both sides of this Lisbon debate!

Biggins my man, delete this thread - you're making a show of whatever you stand for. (5% of which I like)

See my counter thread, already invaded by the utter inhuman droids of this forum who will disappear very soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,480 ✭✭✭✭nullzero

Rb wrote: »
    Absolutely, because they're going to have an opinion on it, and it's not going to be filled with facts.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4n-UGQcG3Jw
    :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

gambiaman wrote: »
    Biggins my man, delete this thread - you're making a show of whatever you stand for. (5% of which I like)

See my counter thread, already invaded by the utter inhuman droids of this forum who will disappear very soon.

Were you driving a taxi earlier on by any chance? :rolleyes:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement