Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Middle - US [**Spoilers**]

Options
  • 01-10-2009 8:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭J-blk

Just watched the pilot for "The Middle" and it was much better than I thought it would be. I've never liked Patricia Heaton much (in Raymond and especially in the awful Back to You) but she was pretty good here. Neill Flynn is essentially still the janitor from Scrubs (but at home) but I've always enjoyed his kind of aloof attitude in that role so it works here too.

The kids all have potential to have some pretty funny story lines, especially the young weird one. Really reminds me of early Malcolm in the Middle though the entire family seems to be made of losers really...

Not a bad start.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 43,844 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Yeah, gonna watch this later.

Definitely seems to have gotten better reviews than most other new comedies this season.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭J-blk

It's worth a watch IMO. Just saw the Hank thread there and I'm debating if I should even bother with it now... doesn't sound good...

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

Yeah really enoyed this. The youngest kid is hilarious and really reminds me of Dewey in Malcolm in the Middle in regards to his acting skills, which were excellent.
    Neil Flynn - very good in the scenes he was in - just hope he gets some big storylines so that he can deliver some more quality lines.
    It's already my #2 new show of the season, after Modern Family.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

Heaton impressed, very rapid fire editing though. Weird weird family.....daughter is like an absolute moron and space cadet. I did enjoy it....very few new comedies impress this year though.

Second episode delivered as well, I think. It's very like Malcolm In The Middle, which was a fantastic show, so I really hope it continues this way.

• Advertisement

Yep - this and Modern Family are delivering - I just hope they are not dragged down by the crap that surrounds them, like "Hank" and "Cougar Town". It does indeed remind me very much of Malcolm in the Middle (like I mentioned for the pilot) and I loved that show.

It's still a bit too much of the Patricia Heaton show for my liking but Neil Flynn had more to do in this episode (the opening, where he "tells it how it is" was pretty funny and the "5 feet rule" with his son :)). The youngest kid ("Brick" - WTF kinda name is that?!) is brilliant - love his "out there" style...

Both this and "Modern Family" have been picked up for a full season:
    While there's been no word on the horrid Hank, ABC has ordered full season pick-ups for the rest of their Wednesday comedy block.

http://www.tvsquad.com/2009/10/09/abc-orders-full-seasons-of-the-middle-modern-family-and-cougar/

But seriously, "Cougar Town" has also made the cut? Yikes...

I'd say "Hank" is most definitely dead in the water though...

Very happy that The Middle and Modern Family are getting a full season. Happy days.

• Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭Bottleopener

Really enjoyable show. Delighted with it and I hope it keeps going strong :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,686 ✭✭✭EdgarAllenPoo

J-blk wrote: »
    It's still a bit too much of the Patricia Heaton show for my liking

I'd have to agree, it's like Malcolm in the Middle if Lois had been the main focus, bit formulaic dysfunctional family type comedy but it's still worth a look.

Liking it better than Modern Family but that might only be because I can't stand Phil.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭JP Liz

might have a look

Well, after watching the third episode, "The Floating Anniversary" this has really cemented its' position as my favorite new comedy of the season (probably holding an equal place to "Modern Family" which is also very good).

It's already going into some pretty ridiculous gags (the sick dog - which needed to be rolled, rather than walked :)) but they're pretty funny. And the kids are getting more to do now too. The daughter really is a complete space cadet, how she could ever think announcing her crush over the P.A was a good idea (or her original t-shirt idea) is beyond me... The eldest son is also starting to get funnier too.

They've changed the format!!!!!!!!...it's NOT the same show, it's got a totally different feel and editing....execs interference!!!!!!

Musta been!, they had the two part pilot, and big wigs told them to change the show...not for the better, still loving the geeky daughter though...Joker mouth :-)

WTF are you on about? :confused: Pilot wasn't a two-part episode and the "format" is no different for this episode from the other two.

Yeah defo up there with Modern Family... the two best new shows of the season...

Another solid episode tonight with "The Trip" and a strong focus on Sue. I really find her character very funny and I'm glad to see the show focus on the kids more too. Brick's little girlfriend story had its' moments too. No clunkers yet, hope they can keep it up.

Thought that episode was great... Mike arguing with Brick's girlfriend was classic.

Agree, very good episode....Sue is wonderful, my fave character. Watching it for her alone. Very funny ep.

I have stopped watching Modern Family/Hank/Community.....meh.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,905 ✭✭✭User45701

4th episode was nowhere near as good as the first 3. no lol's from anyone watcing it! We had a few lol's for the first 3 episodes. they have toned down DR JanItor's charactor or else he just was not in this enough

Season 2 has been confirmed...

• Advertisement

I watched the last two, Eden Sher is great!....Brooke Shields did a FANTASIC job playing a white trash mom, excellent stuff...she got everything bang on!

They even did a mickey take about Patricia Heatons height (5 ft. nothing) and gaint Sheilds....twas funny!

I watched the last two, Eden Sher is great!....Brooke Shields did a FANTASIC job playing a white trash mom, excellent stuff...she got everything bang on!

Yep, she did a great job - her delinquent sons were like the "Malcolm in the Middle" boys too, which this show gets compared to sometimes (but the Hecks are nowhere near as mean :)).

Sue was indeed great in the jeans episode, though I think all the kids do a great job, Brick being the highlight, but Axel is great too as the perpetually bored teenager.

Does anyone know if the ratings are improving now that it does not have that stinker, "Hank" as its' lead-in?

J-blk wrote: »
    Does anyone know if the ratings are improving now that it does not have that stinker, "Hank" as its' lead-in?

Dunno if they've improved or not, but I know they've been consistently good for that time slot...
    Hopefully it'll have a strong lead in show for the second season...

Season 2 kicked off tonight, i won't be watching though...after watching all of season 1 and really giving it a chance i decided to bow out this season.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,276 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

I kind of gave up on this half way through season one, intending to watch the rest later. I don't think I ever will though.

• Registered Users Posts: 85,764 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

I watched a few episodes on TV3 and found it enjoyable and funny

• Registered Users Posts: 82,184 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

The whole thing stinks of a Malcom in the Middle rehash. The characters even appear to look and dress and act the same, more or less, according to the trailers. And the kid's name is Frankie [Muniz]? Not even trying to hide it are they :pac:

Probably will wind up watching one or two on hulu for appreciation of The Janitor, but am not expecting more than a twice-baked potato.

Overheal wrote: »
    The whole thing stinks of a Malcom in the Middle rehash. The characters even appear to look and dress and act the same, more or less, according to the trailers. And the kid's name is Frankie [Muniz]? Not even trying to hide it are they :pac:

Probably will wind up watching one or two on hulu for appreciation of The Janitor, but am not expecting more than a twice-baked potato.

Well its obvious you haven't watched the show. Frankie is the mother and while similarities can be drawn to Malcolm in the Middle, that can be said for any sitcom about a dysfunctional family.

I don't get the 'Malcolm In The Middle' comparison at all..

.. 'Malcolm' was about a slightly eccentric (at times, "unhinged") family with the son being the focus of the show.

'The Middle' is about a normal enough family - one of the kids is reminiscent of Dewey from Malcolm alright - but the focus point is the mother.

The only real similarity is it revolves around a family.

• Advertisement

I don't get the 'Malcolm In The Middle' comparison at all..

.. 'Malcolm' was about a slightly eccentric (at times, "unhinged") family with the son being the focus of the show.

'The Middle' is about a normal enough family - one of the kids is reminiscent of Dewey from Malcolm alright - but the focal point is the mother.

The only real similarity is it revolves around a family.

Advertisement