Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Irish Brands No Longer With Us

13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 740 ✭✭✭steveone

were Lemon's mentioned in this thread?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 740 ✭✭✭steveone

and Glen abbey.. (apologies if they were)

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭TheScribbler

steveone wrote: »
    were Lemon's mentioned in this thread?

I don't think they were but I remember being given boxes of Lemons as presents when I was a kid. The company closed many years ago but the brand name has been acquired by Robt Roberts who market sweets under the Lemons name

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭TheScribbler

steveone wrote: »
    and Glen abbey.. (apologies if they were)

Glen Abbey knitwear, yes I remember that. Used to wear their sweaters at school

• Registered Users Posts: 1 AI1979

Anyone remember Greenhills towels and tableware. Our house was full of it.

Does anyone have a blue "The Green Hills" towel from the eighties they'd like to part with? Or know where I can get one? I'm willing to pay.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,791 ✭✭✭LIFFY FISHING

uch wrote: »
    Phoenix Ale

Still made

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,791 ✭✭✭LIFFY FISHING

Foxford wollen mill still exist and doing well.
    Lucozade gone from the longmile road, they also made beechams powder.
    HB ice cream pulled the plug in Rathfarnham years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 MandaZach

Clinic shampoo, was that Irish? I loved the smell of it and it was blue, it wasn't great for your hair though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭branie

MandaZach wrote: »
    Clinic shampoo, was that Irish? I loved the smell of it and it was blue, it wasn't great for your hair though.

It worked on my hair

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,532 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Oatfield Sweets in Letterkenny. I don't know who's still making them, but thankfully Emeralds haven't disappeared along with them!

Also Football Special - only every available AFAIK in Donegal - still available in a pub up there a good few years ago but when I asked for it recently they looked at me as if I was mad. Liquid sugar. Put kids into orbit!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,668 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

branie wrote: »
    It worked on my hair

Wasn't good in the eyes if I remember correctly.
    HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    Oatfield Sweets in Letterkenny. I don't know who's still making them, but thankfully Emeralds haven't disappeared along with them!

Production moved by its owners, Zed Candy, back to the UK last May - http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2012/0508/1224315744970.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,555 ✭✭✭✭L1011

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    Also Football Special - only every available AFAIK in Donegal - still available in a pub up there a good few years ago but when I asked for it recently they looked at me as if I was mad. Liquid sugar. Put kids into orbit!

Definitely still exists. They also now do a "diet" version that still contains sugar as well as artificial sweetener...

Oatfield were sold to Zed who have a history of promising to keep production in Ireland and then don't. Closed a plant in Kilcock to sell the site on a promise of a new out of town plant; never happened.

edit: appears that's the second time I've moaned about them on this thread, I'm not obsessed, really....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,532 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

MYOB wrote: »
    Definitely still exists. They also now do a "diet" version that still contains sugar as well as artificial sweetener...

Oatfield were sold to Zed who have a history of promising to keep production in Ireland and then don't. Closed a plant in Kilcock to sell the site on a promise of a new out of town plant; never happened.

edit: appears that's the second time I've moaned about them on this thread, I'm not obsessed, really....

:eek::eek::eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,476 ✭✭✭Samba

Greene's Book Shop

MYOB wrote: »
    Yep, still going:

https://www.facebook.com/FootballSpecial

http://www.football-special.com/

I remember Colm Hayes on 2FM was talking to the owner a few years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 49,731 ✭✭✭✭coolhull

Perri crisps
    Pierce Engineering
    Charms sweets
    Progressive Democrats
    Irish Press
    De Lorean cars

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 94 ✭✭aerial man

Bearhunter wrote: »
    Donohoe's Big Brother and little sister range of minerals. Mmm, nostalgia...

The big brother red lemonade is still being sold in Wexford in Glass bottles, Great stuff :D I used to love the 20p 250ml bottles of skippers cola & lemonade (went up to 25c :O in 2002) but i havent seen those available for years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

Amalgam wrote: »
    People tend to think the 'pallet' retail idea was a Lidl or Aldi creation. 3 Guys out in Ballybrack had it.. it was like walking into a barn, untiled floors and a corrugated roof.. stock straight from a pallet. It's a Tesco now.
    Gubay's also had the same system in Hillcrest, Lucan, which became Quinnsworth, Tesco, Crazy Prices and then Tesco again. I distinctly remember helping my Mam open a cardboard carton of baked beans from the back of the pallet to get a tin that wasn't dented :)
    Crazy Prices!!!

I can't hear "Tiger Feet" without thinking of that place.
    Me neither :)
    KingBurger

Burgerland.
    metroburger on hawkins street

New York, New York, beside the Ilac centre Henry Street entrance :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,973 ✭✭✭Sh1tbag OToole

Jip wrote: »

Do they actually make anything or is it just one guy with his feet up watching the telly ordering stuff in from Shenzhen, Guangdong province, China?

Brands are so detached from the manufacturer now and they always try to seamlessly swap out the local made version with a cheaper imported one

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,517 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Irish Steel, still have a shed with corrugated steel sheets with 'Irish Steel - Haulbowline' on underside.

Irish Sugar Company and Siucra (as we knew it)

Guinness Peat Aviation, sounded like a turf-fuelled aircraft.

Still made

Even in 2012, Phoenix had been gone for an aeon. 2002/3 maybe, at latest, for it and Hoffmanns ending. Cherry / Waterford brewery continued until more recently but not making those.

Diageo (well Guinness Ltd in those days) systematically bought nearly every regional Irish brewery - pretty much all outside Cork - and slowly killed off product lines, amalgamated facilities etc. Even went as far as to ensure pubs replaced the local branding with Guinness goo-gahs at the bar and so on.

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭manutd83

Crun-chos,loved them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,973 ✭✭✭Sh1tbag OToole

L1011 wrote: »
    Even in 2012, Phoenix had been gone for an aeon. 2002/3 maybe, at latest, for it and Hoffmanns ending. Cherry / Waterford brewery continued until more recently but not making those.

Diageo (well Guinness Ltd in those days) systematically bought nearly every regional Irish brewery - pretty much all outside Cork - and slowly killed off product lines, amalgamated facilities etc. Even went as far as to ensure pubs replaced the local branding with Guinness goo-gahs at the bar and so on.

Shnakes, funny how history is repeating itself with the big bhoys buying out the craft breweries, this time milking it for what it's worth at least until all the hipsters move to California

Shnakes, funny how history is repeating itself with the big bhoys buying out the craft breweries, this time milking it for what it's worth at least until all the hipsters move to California

Only happened here once, so far - but I'd expect it to happen again. Most owners wouldn't sell to Diageo unless they were bankrupt though.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭Ralf and Florian

A lot of stuff in The Goodies would be considered very un pc now.One episode where they were all blacked up Al Jolsen style,though it was actually an anti racist message they were trying to put across from what I remember.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,363 ✭✭✭KingBrian2

Some of these brands are ancient.

Advertisement