Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will we be left behind if we vote No on Lisbon?

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,283 ✭✭✭✭Scofflaw

I am unsure what you are trying to imply here ...... that making no change to the present situation actually changes the present situation?

No, my point is that voting No does involve changes. The claim that a No vote is a vote for the status quo is incorrect.

It's the equivalent of saying there's no consequences of forgetting your wife's birthday, because she won't divorce you over it - so "the status quo is maintained", and you're still married, right?

cordially,
    Scofflaw

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,795 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

dresden8 wrote: »
    Those idiots who a lot of posters on this forum think should have the freedom to ratify changes to the constitution without consulting us?

Because they're the "experts".
    Who has suggested that the government be allowed to change the constitution without referendum? I certainly don't think that's a good idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,007 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Scofflaw wrote: »
    No, my point is that voting No does involve changes. The claim that a No vote is a vote for the status quo is incorrect.

It's the equivalent of saying there's no consequences of forgetting your wife's birthday, because she won't divorce you over it - so "the status quo is maintained", and you're still married, right?

cordially,
    Scofflaw

You are trying to confuse the issue with potential consequences which is a totally different matter altogether.

So what if I were to say to you that I forgot my wife's birthday but so did she?
    You did not know she would and so your opinion on the potential consequences was totally wrong

There are no changes made if we produce a No vote.

Telling people otherwise is spreading FUD.

That potentially there MAY be other consequences is a different matter and comes down to opinion.

To be spreading opinion about potential consequences as if they are facts is disingenuous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭MrMatisse

No.

To be spreading opinion about potential consequences as if they are facts is disingenuous.
    To pretend that there are no potential consequences would be equally disingenuous.

Are you pretending that there is no possibility that there will be consequences of a "no" vote?

• Advertisement

oscarBravo wrote: »
    To pretend that there are no potential consequences would be equally disingenuous.

Are you pretending that there is no possibility that there will be consequences of a "no" vote?

No.

Can you not read what I wrote?
    That potentially there MAY be other consequences is a different matter and comes down to opinion.

Does that not sufficiently answer your question?

No.

Can you not read what I wrote?

Does that not sufficiently answer your question?
    OK. So you're saying that the possibility of consequences shouldn't be factored in, because they're not facts, just opinions?

It's OK to forget your wife's birthday, because she might forget it as well?

OK. So you're saying that the possibility of consequences shouldn't be factored in, because they're not facts, just opinions?

It's OK to forget your wife's birthday, because she might forget it as well?

I did not say any such things.

Read what I have posted and if there is something that is not clear then please quote it and I will attempt to explain it to you.

Otherwise I should be grateful if you did not attempt to twist what I said to suit your own agenda.

I did not say any such things.

Read what I have posted and if there is something that is not clear then please quote it and I will attempt to explain it to you.

Otherwise I should be grateful if you did not attempt to twist what I said to suit your own agenda.
    OK. I've read what you've posted, and all I can decipher from it is that you want to disagree with Scofflaw without actually making a point.

I guess we'll leave it at that, so.

OK. I've read what you've posted, and all I can decipher from it is that you want to disagree with Scofflaw without actually making a point.

I guess we'll leave it at that, so.

:D:D:D

Once you are happy with your interpretation I am happy for you.

• Advertisement
Advertisement