Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any Irish ever lived in Italy and began to hate Italians?

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭JackHeuston

haha, yes maybe, but still... when I say they'll judge you I mean they'll be openly rude and arrogant with you, like seachto7 said in the previous page. Not everyone of course, but bullying people, especially foreign, over food and clothes is quite common unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭Long Gone

I've not seen anyone putting down the Irish. At least not to a point of being called smelly, rude, self-absorbed and annoying.

Well you should have read the post that I was responding to then, shouldn't you ...... :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 28 chillybilly

Long Gone wrote:
    Well you should have read the post that I was responding to then, shouldn't you ......

I have, and I stand by what I said.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

Driving in Italy is way nicer than driving in Ireland. There, I said it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,843 ✭✭✭Uncle Ben

Ponster wrote: »
    It's not the same system as in ireland but it's not true to say that if you lose your job that the state doesn't help you out. As in France you can get 80% of your previous wages for a limited time which runs out should you not manage to find another job.

A similar system exisited in Holland when I was there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭Long Gone

I have, and I stand by what I said.

Well you have no rational basis whatsoever for doing so, not that that's ever stopped you before no doubt.....:rolleyes: You incorrectly claim that nobody was putting down the Irish. I could point out exactly where that was being done. However, I couldn't be bothered arguing with or in any way engaging with the kind of ignorance you are displaying..... I'll just ignore you :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 26 jjwada

enda1 wrote: »
    Driving in Italy is way nicer than driving in Ireland. There, I said it!

Except when you get a ticket for driving into a zone you didnt even know was one :)

I thinkn Italy makes more tourist money from that one than tourism even.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭6541

My two cent, I have been over and back to northern Italy for work quiet a lot, I find them very difficult to work with. Any opportunity they get they try and get one over on you. Also the refugees living on the streets is a real eye opener.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

Mod note:
    Let's remember that this thread was started 6.5 years ago. Many posts criticised recently are from members not even active on boards anymore. Remain civil towards eachother and your own and other's nationality, please.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

jjwada wrote: »
    Except when you get a ticket for driving into a zone you didnt even know was one :)

I thinkn Italy makes more tourist money from that one than tourism even.

Yeah the ZTL is a curse. But then I've a French registered car so no tickets for me!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

6541 wrote: »
    My two cent, I have been over and back to northern Italy for work quiet a lot, I find them very difficult to work with. Any opportunity they get they try and get one over on you. Also the refugees living on the streets is a real eye opener.

Of course the Irish have no experience in this! haha. Just look at the people running the country!

As they say in Italy: "tutto il mondo e un paese" or something like that!

Back to my example of Italian slagging me over eating porridge. I lived in Rome for 2 years, and while it was superficial in lots of ways, I tended to hang around with Italians who didn't care about what I ate, what I wore, or how I looked. I don't think it ever even came up in conversation.

I'd love to go back there to live, but I need some kind of stability in terms of a job etc at the moment, and I don't think Italy could offer me that right now!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭astonaidan

Long Gone wrote: »
    There you go again, drawing on what a small circle of Irish neanderthals that you knew did to make sweeping generalisations about Irish people in general.......:rolleyes:

Absolute nonsense - Speak for yourself. :mad: The Irish (and also the English incidentally, perhaps to a slightly lesser extent) are demonstrably an extremely adaptable race. We have moved to many different countries all over the world and, despite what you seem to believe, have settled and integrated extremely well and, in general, are extremely successful. :cool:

We really arent that adaptable, its something that we say a lot, but in reality we arent. Just because we live in a lot of countries doesnt mean that. Im taking about modern Irish not are ancestors who left for outside reasons.
    To be successful you dont need to adapt to a country, you can just as easy make a lot of money in somewhere you hate as long as you have the skills to work their.
    I lived the Irish man abroad, Ive seen it every time the Irish stick to the Irish. Now Im not saying other nationality's dont do it, they do, The difference is they arent constantly going on about how they are the great conquers and adaptors like we do

The Irish tend to settle well in English speaking countries. Not so much in non English/Anglo countries, though the sizeable Irish descendants in Argentina contradict that.
    Saying that I've met pockets of Irish well integrated in Belgium, Holland, Italy, France and Germany etc.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

MOD NOTE: Any further bickering or general tomfoolery will result in infractions and the thread being locked.

Any Irish working in the Turin/Milan area? If you've been on the work and jobs forum, I'm on the job hunt, and getting fed up of waiting in Ireland.
    I speak Italian and lived there before. I can't imagine it's doing very well economically in Italy, but I'd imagine Milan and Turin would be the economic centres?
    I emailed a few Irish in Irish companies, but none of them got back to me. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 18 fmess

Lol I'm in stitches! Genuinely! It's hilarious what you think as normally Italians would think the very same about Irish people. I live in Ireland since forever and those stereotypes always makes me laugh....It's not good to generalize as Italy is a BIG Country and still very much divided into micro cultures (i.e. an Italian from SIculy would behave, talk, eat very differently from one to Venice).

Advertisement