Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Alice In Chains - Black Gives Way To Blue

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,528 ✭✭✭OK-Cancel-Apply

Got this album today - love it! Great songs with the AIC sound we all love. Would like to hear something a bit 'heavier' next time, but still, pretty good stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

got through the first listen of it. Not like an AIC album and not quite like a Jerry Cantrell album, but so far so good..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭NeMiSiS

Saw em today in Hollywood at a invite only show kinda thing..

Only about 100 people there, and got to see the soundcheck..They only played five tunes but the first two were Check my brain, and A looking in view.

Was all very cool, to see it all up close and personal was ****ing great.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 xYazbombx

Why? may I ask, are Alice in Chains in the Rock/Metal section..?? They are GRUNGE..! And they are the dogs nobs..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭thebigcheese22

xYazbombx wrote: »
    Why? may I ask, are Alice in Chains in the Rock/Metal section..?? They are GRUNGE..! And they are the dogs nobs..

As much as I love Grunge music, it would be pointless having its own forum.
    Check the Pearl Jam thread for more grunge...

Also if I was being pedantic I'd say that AIC were more metal than Grunge but hey I'm not :o

Wahey, 900th post:P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17 xYazbombx

Thats great coz they're Grunge..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭waltersobchak

grunge died in 1994, its now know as alternative rock.. go figure:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭Vudgie

I like the album I imagine it will be a bit of a grower. Disappointed that Duval is so low in the mix and completely absent from most songs. They played it very safe I think in terms of not alienating too many older fans and having a new singer all over it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,278 ✭✭✭gucci

Got the album last night, 2 listens down and it sounds really good! As someone said above, its sounds like a real grower of an album, but I am impressed from the start.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 6,817 ✭✭✭jenizzle

Good lord, grunge was a crap genre anyway. AiC were a metal band long before grunge started.
    Grunge (sometimes referred to as the Seattle Sound) is a subgenre of alternative rock that emerged during the mid-1980s in the American state of Washington, particularly in the Seattle area

Anyway, thats besides the point. This album is still awesome!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,969 ✭✭✭robby^5

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=010QPE-rCXY

Great interview here from the guys talking about reforming and getting together for the new record.

Dont ask me why they're wearing kiss makeup in this! I've no idea...although the final shots were pretty cool, could be the music video for black gives way to blue?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Shryke

This album keeps getting better in my ears. Last of My Kind was the first track on the album that caught me and it's still one of my most listened to. There's a danger of over exposure so I'm going to have to ease up!
    When the Sun Rose Again, Your Decision and Acid Bubble are also way up there for me right now, but every track is excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

Me likey! As a previous poster said I would like to hear Duval a bit more.

Listened to it a few tims now and it's good!

folks the Jimmy Kemmel stuff is up on youtube. 4 songs, would, check my brain, no excuses, and your decision...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

Like it a lot. The last track (Black Gives Way to Blue) is a superb piece of music and obviously in memory of Layne.

Someone made a point elsewhere that Duvall's voice on this is very much like Staley's would've been had he still been around - just like James Hetfields voice has toned down through the years with Metallca.

They did themselves justice with this one.

been listening to this all week, and one thing that springs to mind is how big a part of the AIC sound Jerry Cantrell's vocals are, whatever about Layne Staley.
    It's growing on me a lot now, the opening song is great, acid bubble is great, your decision is great, as is the closing track (though not as good as I thought it was going to be going on the reviews)
    good solid album....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

Love the whole ablum, have listened to it about 20 times at this stage, haven't got tired of it yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭RossFixxxed

I'm not sure yet. Only had a few listens. I like Check My Brain, Lesson Learned, Black Gives way to Blue and Your Decision... Not sure about the rest, new singer is really buried like a bass player in Metallica. Sounds ok, some of the music is that unique AIC sound, some is a little generic tbh. But it may well be a grower of an album and I'm gonna give it time!

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭Den_M

Great album, I'm pleasantly surprised, been listening to it all week. Check My Brain, classic Cantrell riff!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Somnus

Got it on Saturday and am liking it. DuVall sounds like Layne on one or two of the tracks but he does bring his own style out as well which I think is good. He's the bands singer now and seen as they're writing new stuff he shouldn't have to try and imitate Layne's style on new material.

Overall I like it, can't think of particular songs at the mo but I'll be listening to it for a while.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭RossFixxxed

It's actually quite good. There's a lot of classic alice stuff in there. The new sound is good but it's just missing something to me. I'm not gonig on about Layne, you have to accept that going in. But the sludgy dirty, edge is gone from their sound.

Lot of great tracks, but there's not the intensity of Angry Chair, Nutshell, Would, We die young etc... I dunno. Great to hear them back, really happy. Next album could be a total beast!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭blindpilot

Been listening to this solidly for a few weeks now. Really like this album. Think DuVall's voice is very good and kind of wish he had more lead parts in it. Last Of My Kind is a cracking song. Big fan of Acid Bubble, When The Sun Rose Again, Lesson Learned and the title track. Hats off to them, a fine job. Keeping my fingers crossed for a headline show in the future.

Advertisement